Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Affi posted:

Yeah having Eisenhorn go to Terra to try and resurrect the Emperor of Mankind with Alpha Legion by his side and Ravenor following him with the might of the Imperium. It'll be interesting.

Lets face it, if GW/BL are going to let any author write something that huge, it would be Abnett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mr.48 posted:

Lets face it, if GW/BL are going to let any author write something that huge, it would be Abnett.

That's why I'm suddenly getting all jacked up about Abnett's project. He's the only one I can imagine being given the green light for something like that -- ADB is more talented, but Abnett's deserves it more and would probably do it slightly better.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Alchenar posted:

And then Cypher pops into the Throne Room mid-ritual and is all 'oh... I thought there would be no-one here... well this is awkward'

Who do you think planted the idea for him to head to Terra? :ssh:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

At the very least it's high time that they cleared up all the Star Child and other stuff that's been leftover from Inquisitor and never mentioned in a decade and set up the Imperium with a proper new endgame scenario.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Affi posted:

Yeah having Eisenhorn go to Terra to try and resurrect the Emperor of Mankind with Alpha Legion by his side and Ravenor following him with the might of the Imperium. It'll be interesting.

Not to mention a Daemonhost :v: My own pet theory, for which I have absolutely no evidence, is that Cherubael is actually the tortured and corrupted soul of Sanguinius. I base this entirely on the fact that Cherubaels name is based on Cherub, which is an angelic being.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Not to mention a Daemonhost :v: My own pet theory, for which I have absolutely no evidence, is that Cherubael is actually the tortured and corrupted soul of Sanguinius. I base this entirely on the fact that Cherubaels name is based on Cherub, which is an angelic being.

That would actually make no sense at all but drat would that kick rear end.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah it's a real stretch, on the other hand something more plausible would be finding out if Omegon or Alpharius is alive and if they really are on the side of the Imperium. And that would also be really cool.

Galkaflower
Feb 12, 2010

You know nothing, Jon Toews.

Demiurge4 posted:

I could be wrong, but I do believe the suffix -el means "of God" so Cherubael would mean "angelic being of god" in a sense.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Affi posted:

Yeah it's a real stretch, on the other hand something more plausible would be finding out if Omegon or Alpharius is alive and if they really are on the side of the Imperium. And that would also be really cool.

Wasn't the point of their book that the Alpha Legion got a view of what it would look like if the Imperium succeeded, versus if Chaos "won", and saw that the Imperium winning was far worse than anything else?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Eisenhorn and Ravenor should both be long dead by the 'current' 40k date anyway.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Alchenar posted:

Eisenhorn and Ravenor should both be long dead by the 'current' 40k date anyway.

As heavily into chaos Eisenhorn is time travel or extended life span is barely unexpected.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Alchenar posted:

What is the current date then compared to when Pariah is taking place?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Galkaflower posted:

I could be wrong, but I do believe the suffix -el means "of God" so Cherubael would mean "angelic being of god" in a sense.

I'm not sure why that is spoiled, but I'll leave it. I think the whole angelic sounding name of Cherubael is a joke - what better name for a daemon than something heavenly sounding?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Affi posted:

I don't know the dates, but in Gaunt's Ghosts, Gaunt quotes Ravenor posthumously, and meets an Inquisitor whom Ravenor knew. Lexicanum says there's a 300-year gap between the Ravenor series and Gaunt's Ghosts.

I like how Cherubael's fellow daemonhost was cheekily named Prophaniti. In that same book, there was a minor character named Erotiq. Abnett's like that.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Affi posted:

The latest we have "concrete" records on is M41.999, the very start of the 13th Black Crusade and when GW decides to freeze the timeline. We do know later bits, though: the Ciaphas Cain memoirs are being revised in-universe around 200-300 years into M42, and also some bits about the Golden Throne beginning to malfunction, but M42 is when official material stops giving timelines.

Pariah is set in 50X.M41. I want to say 504 but I don't know where I'm getting that number.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
I can see the Eisenhorn Ravenor being a grand unsolved mystery and they are 'presumed' dead if anything else.

Are there any ETA's out there on the next Gaunt's Ghosts book?

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion

SquadronROE posted:

Wasn't the point of their book that the Alpha Legion got a view of what it would look like if the Imperium succeeded, versus if Chaos "won", and saw that the Imperium winning was far worse than anything else?

It was more of the choice between a quick death versus 10k years of suffering as the world universe burns down around them. Alpha Legion was about making the tough decisions. If Horus won then he would have snapped and killed off the rest of the universe starving the warp gods of their fuel. If The Master of Mankind won then it would throw them into a conflict that would see mankind slowly killed off from all ends. Alpha made the decision to side with Horus, but Omega seems to have a plan B just in case. Horus didn't win and a corpse sits on the golden throne. So the future Alpha Legion sided for is thrown in flux. Perhaps the surviving twin (most likely Omega) now sees a third possibility.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

EyeRChris posted:

It was more of the choice between a quick death versus 10k years of suffering as the world universe burns down around them. Alpha Legion was about making the tough decisions. If Horus won then he would have snapped and killed off the rest of the universe starving the warp gods of their fuel. If The Master of Mankind won then it would throw them into a conflict that would see mankind slowly killed off from all ends. Alpha made the decision to side with Horus, but Omega seems to have a plan B just in case. Horus didn't win and a corpse sits on the golden throne. So the future Alpha Legion sided for is thrown in flux. Perhaps the surviving twin (most likely Omega) now sees a third possibility.

Yea recent relevations all point in the same direction. While a relevation about the alpha legion isn't as big as clarifying the big E situation its still big enough to be SUPER SECRET. Also the fact that Dan Abnett is writing about it and has clearly shown he can write succesful alpha legion stories I'm willing to wager on a story about the alpharius - omegon plot.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Betrayer spoilers: Argel Tal can't really be dead, right? Isn't he supposed to get owned at the Eternity Gate by Sanguinius?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Scoobi posted:

Betrayer spoilers: Argel Tal can't really be dead, right? Isn't he supposed to get owned at the Eternity Gate by Sanguinius?

It was either a head-fake, or something changed when the editors were discussing things and the more recent books reflect it. Argel Tal's demon was Raum, and in Betrayer appears to be relatively minor. Fear to Tread brings in Ka'Bandha, who will be the Bloodthirster Sanguinius battles at the Eternity Gate. Argel Tal is dead, under darkened wings, just like was foretold.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

It was either a head-fake, or something changed when the editors were discussing things and the more recent books reflect it. Argel Tal's demon was Raum, and in Betrayer appears to be relatively minor. Fear to Tread brings in Ka'Bandha, who will be the Bloodthirster Sanguinius battles at the Eternity Gate. Argel Tal is dead, under darkened wings, just like was foretold.

Poor guy has had it rough.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Aurelian shows Lorgar seeing Argel Tal fighting at Eternity Gate, then again the future is mutable.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Argel Tal spoilers: Argel Tal didn't have to be THE bloodthirster that Sanguinius destroys, as that guy was written in to the fluff even before the stuff about Argel Tal in the novels dying at the eternity gate. If its a fake out, then perhaps Erebus doing whatever will cause Argel Tal to lose complete control to the daemon, moving from merely a possessed marine to an actual daemon guy.

Betrayer spoilers: Overall I really loved Betrayer, especially how the world eaters were just poo poo on by everyone including their own primarch. The world eaters trying to do right by a guy that barely gave a poo poo about them was some tragic stuff. Kharn is awesome, so its sad that in the future he is basically just a mindless berserker, albeit an unstoppable one. I think my favorite part was the idea that The Devourers were just completely ignored by Angron and no one even wanted to be in it, and I just imagine them sighing around in their big terminator armor waiting to be dismissed where they'll go stand in a corner and just sit there all melancholy.

Someone else mentioned that the humans in the HH books are often really awesome characters, and I must agree. Lotara & the titan crew were awesome, and I liked that Lotara basically owned Delvarus / caused the world eaters to own him & he came through in the end. Corinthian has to show up at the siege of Terra right?

Also interesting that the tech priest who was second under Kelbor Hal whose name I do not remember wanted to be with the Iron Hands or Imperial Fists & ended up with the World Eaters, thus setting him on to a path of being a traitor.

Also intriguing that the Word Bearers had 2 purges, the first slowly of the people who would oppose falling to chaos, but the second was all the over zealous idiots getting sent to Calth to presumably die in their glorious crusade. Lorgar getting free from Kor Phaeron & Erebus was good too, as I hate both those chumps.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

spootime posted:

Also, have any more details come out about the whole Dan Abnett NDA crazy game altering book thingy?
wait what oh god

I have heard literally nothing about this, and I'm not very up to date on Black Library things so don't know which of the spoiler tags from the preceding page are safe for me to reveal :ohdear:. Where is this coming from?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Helicon One posted:

wait what oh god

I have heard literally nothing about this, and I'm not very up to date on Black Library things so don't know which of the spoiler tags from the preceding page are safe for me to reveal :ohdear:. Where is this coming from?

It's pretty much all just speculation. The spoiler tags in the last page or so are either from Legion+Pariah or Betrayer.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Helicon One posted:

wait what oh god

100% speculation. We know nothing except that Abnett is involved in a big world changing project. We don't know what it is, or when it will come out. In fact, we don't even know that it is book and fluff related. It could be business side. Possibilities:

* Now that THQ is dead (it has been dying for a while) BL is taking a special focus on where it goes forward with video games as an expanded revenue share. Abnett could be their writer, just like how Peter Watts and Richard K Morgan are for Crytek

* a new tabletop game that he is spearheading the fluff for. EG A Warhammer steampunk themed game to go along with their space opera and epic fantasy

* He is going the Grahman McNeill route and is being brought in-house by BL to be both a permanent writer and editor. Everything fluff and story related from here on out will get run by him for his help in directing the overall narration

* A codification and standardization of all Warhammer "canon". Instead of the system described here by ADB they are going to have aggressive continuity. That would certainly change how all the Warhammer stories are handled in the future.

A lot of possibilities flow from the statement "big secret project that will change everything"

By the way, here is what is on ADB's plate:

quote:

I’m currently getting close to finishing Blood & Fire, which is a little (well, a quite long, actually) tale featuring the words Season of Fire, Armageddon, Celestial Lions, Grimaldus, as well as the name of a certain Chapter that dresses in a blackish templarish way, and – of course – the name of a certain stormtrooper has been mentioned more than once.

After Blood & Fire, I’m starting The Talon of Horus, and I couldn’t be more psyched about it. Not much to say at this stage, except that the main character will be at the right hand of Abaddon through the fall of the Sons of Horus and the rise of the Black Legion, over the course of 10,000 years. Yeah, unless I get killed or banned from touching the IP, this series threatens to be a long one. If you’ve read Bernard Cornwell’s Warlord Chronicles (about “King” Arthur) or Steven Pressfield’s novels of Ancient Greece (Gates of Fire; Tides of War; The Afghan Campaign, etc.) then you’ll know the atmosphere.

The main character’s name is Inaros Khayon, though he has many, many, many titles by 999.M41, and hardly anyone knows his real name by then.
Also he estimated Master of Mankind will be ready in about a year, and that The Warmaster Chronicles will be cranked out of the next 15 years

Lot's to look forward to!

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Fried Chicken posted:

* Now that THQ is dead (it has been dying for a while) BL is taking a special focus on where it goes forward with video games as an expanded revenue share. Abnett could be their writer, just like how Peter Watts and Richard K Morgan are for Crytek

Does this mean BL is going to start up an electronic development end? Or that they're going to work through Abnett with whoever they outsource to next?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Revener posted:

Does this mean BL is going to start up an electronic development end? Or that they're going to work through Abnett with whoever they outsource to next?

I am 100% speculating on all of this, but I would guess the latter. They don't have the in-house capabilities to do the games, but they could say "this is our story liaison, he will write your script"

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Fried Chicken posted:

* a new tabletop game that he is spearheading the fluff for.

Come onnnnnn Dark Future 2nd Edition :pray:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

I am 100% speculating on all of this, but I would guess the latter. They don't have the in-house capabilities to do the games, but they could say "this is our story liaison, he will write your script"

And Relic will tell them to get stuffed. They have much better writers than anything BL can offer.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Do we know anything else about the (Pariah) Yellow King or the Cognitae? Other then what is written in the books?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Affi posted:

Do we know anything else about the (Pariah) Yellow King or the Cognitae? Other then what is written in the books?

The Cognitae feature heavily in the Ravenor trilogy. Really, you should have finished Ravenor before starting Pariah in the first place.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Cognitae feature heavily in the Ravenor trilogy. Really, you should have finished Ravenor before starting Pariah in the first place.

I probably should have, i'll grab it next week I guess.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Affi posted:

I probably should have, i'll grab it next week I guess.

Before you read Ravenor, read Eisenhorn.

why doesn't anyone read the OP (or thread title) :negative:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
It is too bad THQ is done. I enjoyed their WH40k games as well as their other titles like Saints Row.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Alchenar posted:

And Relic will tell them to get stuffed. They have much better writers than anything BL can offer.

What? Every relic 40k game has had a horrible story.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Trast posted:

It is too bad THQ is done. I enjoyed their WH40k games as well as their other titles like Saints Row.

THQ is a publisher, not a developer. Relic and Volition are almost assuredly going to be snatched up by one of the other big publishers.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Before you read Ravenor, read Eisenhorn.

why doesn't anyone read the OP (or thread title) :negative:

I did read Eisenhorn :)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ed balls balls man posted:

I kinda like the story to Space Marine v:shobon:v

Does that make me a bad person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

ed balls balls man posted:

Even so, some had good/great gameplay, and that's the important bit. :v: Didn't Abnett write the Ultramarines movie, by the way?