Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys has anyone mentioned that the new forums design broke the app? Because hoo boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I literally can't remember the last time I read the forums on a computer.

So I guess I deserve being belittled? I dunno, it's a self defeating problem.

I'm sure it's annoying to keep seeing posts about it but I had no way of knowing other people posted about it, nor that people posted about other people posting it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
In fairness, if you can tell that the problem is that the app isn't displaying all the posts, it's probably worth checking the page in a browser to see what posts the app didn't show.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The redesign hosed SALR for chrome, too. I can't browse normally anywhere :<

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Question Mark Mound posted:

In fairness, if you can tell that the problem is that the app isn't displaying all the posts, it's probably worth checking the page in a browser to see what posts the app didn't show.

"App messing up? Better check on a computer!" is what I'd hope most people would do.

I'm still using it just fine anyway. All the new posts show up.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

xzzy posted:

If nothing else, this glitch reveals how many people read the forums using only this app and never ever visit the site in a web browser.

It's no wonder, really. Awful 1.5 with the permanent bookmarks sidebar was definitely the best way to browse the forums for me. I generally only browse the forums with "real" computer, if I need to type a long post.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Smol posted:

It's no wonder, really. Awful 1.5 with the permanent bookmarks sidebar was definitely the best way to browse the forums for me.

Persistent sidebar is back in 1.10, coming in the near future.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

The Dave posted:

Excellent news! I've still been using 1.5 (well, until the forums update broke it completely) simply because of that feature.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I'm experiencing a bug where every thread I click on gives me a 'end of thread' message, but no actual content. Any idea what causes this/how to work around it? I never update to ios6 (iPhone 4) but the app store says I'm up to date with the awful app.

Edit: I'm sorry if the answers been posted - reading the forums via safari is a miserable experience compared to the app or a desktop computer!

Son of edit: I installed the other (newer?) app with the get in frog logo and the same problem presents itself.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 2, 2013

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Edit: I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about apparently.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 2, 2013

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

The Dave posted:

The old breadcrumbs are back, the app is reportedly back to normal (I can't confirm because I'm on a test version).

1.9.1 is still broken. I guess you're referring to 1.9.2?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

qbert posted:

1.9.1 is still broken. I guess you're referring to 1.9.2?

I wasn't, I thought the old breadcrumbs were back. I see them on some pages but not all... I have no clue.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

If anything, poo poo seems to be more broken in the app now.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The Dave posted:

1.10?! Thought we were on 1.9.1 now.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

1.9.1 is in the Appstore
1.9.2 is awaiting approval, but might have been broken today so STRAP IN FOLKS!
1.10 is in testing

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Chuck Bartowski posted:

1.10?! Thought we were on 1.9.1 now.

Yes, 1.9.1 is the latest released version, 1.9.2 is the version submitted the other day, and 1.10 is the next major version which is in development/testing now.

1.1 and 1.10 are not the same thing in version numbering.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is why whenever I write software, my release numbers have no periods. I just take the current version number and add one. :colbert:

Gotten into some nasty fights over it though. I've had programmers fork the project and stop talking to me because they were so convinced that I was wrong.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm unbookmarking this thread until redesign-gate is behind us. Thank you for all your work, devs and pokeyman

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Mine has gone from bad to worse. I also now crash when I try to refresh GBS. I've restarted the phone.

Hopefully it's related to the already fixed and waiting on apple bug with pages.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Masonity posted:

Mine has gone from bad to worse. I also now crash when I try to refresh GBS. I've restarted the phone.

Hopefully it's related to the already fixed and waiting on apple bug with pages.

Turn off thread tags in the app settings and it should load again. This problem only popped up a couple hours ago, so unfortunately it's not fixed in the pending release.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Masonity posted:

Seeing this as well, although threads load from the bookmarks view no problem.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah looks like they added filtering by clicking an thread tag back into the web forums, and they used a different method that breaks loading forums in the app.

Hold onto your butts everyone.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

The Dave posted:

Yeah looks like they added filtering by clicking an thread tag back into the web forums, and they used a different method that breaks loading forums in the app.

Hold onto your butts everyone.

WILL THIS NEVER END

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Diabolik900 posted:

Yes, 1.9.1 is the latest released version, 1.9.2 is the version submitted the other day, and 1.10 is the next major version which is in development/testing now.

1.1 and 1.10 are not the same thing in version numbering.

Oh. I was confused because I remember there bring talk of a 2.0 release that was code cleanup.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I used to not be afraid of change, but then 2013 happened and I wasn't able to read something awful forums on my smartphone. :qq:

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Diabolik900 posted:

Turn off thread tags in the app settings and it should load again. This problem only popped up a couple hours ago, so unfortunately it's not fixed in the pending release.

This worked great. Thanks.

Is there any way to side load the new app? I'd happily jailbreak to get my fully functioning awful back.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ursine Asylum posted:

WILL THIS NEVER END

Using Safari on my iPhone is hellish :negative:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Masonity posted:

This worked great. Thanks.

Is there any way to side load the new app? I'd happily jailbreak to get my fully functioning awful back.

You might be able to do it with jailbreaking, but I'm not sure. Without jailbreaking you can pay $99 to join the Apple development program and build the app from the source.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you google around there's apparently ways to do it by editing xcode related config files and making your own certs, but I'm unclear if it still works with iOS 6.

The certs are the tricky part, Apple will only hand them out if you pay the $99, and it takes some hoop jumping to get self-signed certs onto the phone.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Diabolik900 posted:

There is a mechanism to request an expedited review, and Pokeyman requested one for this case, but again there are no guarantees.

Not our lucky day apparently, we're stuck in the slow queue. Sorry everyone.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Not our lucky day apparently, we're stuck in the slow queue. Sorry everyone.

I think the review team shut down for a week during xmas, they sent an email out about it a while ago. You're probably stuck at the end of a really long queue.

I wish we got some kind of advanced notice for this kind of change.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The app store shuts down for the last week of the year, every year. It's not really something they sprung on us.

The forum update was kind of a surprise.. Lowtax tweeted about a "big" something that was on the way a few days ago, so not sure that really counts as a notification. But I can't see how forewarning would have helped, not like there was a dev version of the site for app developers to test against.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

There was a thread about the redesign in YOSPOS last month, and Lowtax shared a link to the CSS, but the CSS isn't what's causing any of the problems so there really was no way to be prepared for this. Obviously Lowtax and Choochacacko are under no obligation to provide any support for the app, so I don't blame them for anything, but it's definitely a pain in the rear end to have to deal with it. I hope there are no more changes that break anything after this.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I hope lowtax and chooch slightly alter code to gently caress MAXX up for a week until they release an official app in the store

Which will invariably cost :tenbux:

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

It is the Year of Our Lord Two-Thousand and Thirteen and the Something Awful forums "redesign" not only doesn't feature any responsive design, it instead swaps blue for pea soup green and adds circa 2008 rounded corners to nearly goddamn everything.

None of this would've given me a nauseous shudder if it hadn't broken Awful.app :suicide:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Too bad about these circumstances. Redesign and a store holiday all together.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Anyone else (beta testers) now having trouble with the testing version?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

Anyone else (beta testers) now having trouble with the testing version?

Yes. Do this:

Diabolik900 posted:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Ah thanks! I thought that was only applicable to the current release as it was fine for me when it was first mentioned, until just a few minutes ago when it went haywire.

Edit: and my symptoms were different. Complete crash on opening but I reinstalled and turned them off so its fine now. :downs:

Although my forums list is now limited to IYG but hopefully my bookmarks will keep me entertained.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

jojoinnit posted:

Although my forums list is now limited to IYG but hopefully my bookmarks will keep me entertained.

This is something I need to fix. In the meantime you can try logging out then back in within the app.

• Locked thread