Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Peven Stan posted:

Just talked to a recruiter. He told me they had community/youth development in mind for me, but declined to say where it was only that the place I was going is probably "not that cold," and that I would leave July 2013. Kinda wish he could be more specific so I could start preparing now, but whatever.

I hear that the new system has less specific nominations. The older one gave a region, which wasn't actually that specific. However, seeing that many people end up in a different region than the one that they were nominated for, it probably doesn't make any difference, and it may save you some undue stress and daydreaming.

Also, I'm jealous of all of these new applicants who seem to be getting pretty quick turn around times between applying and their leave date. When all is told, it's going to be a 14-15 month span between submitting my application and my leave date. That's accurate with what the PC quotes you for married couples, but still, less than 8 months sounds pretty drat sweet to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the shill
Sep 20, 2006

Who is Framcod? ^^^

Slaan posted:

By the way, what kind of trees did you plant? I've been thinking about doing a tree-planting project myself. Wind-erosion is a huge thing here in the Sahel and so is a lack of shadows to nap under during the mid-day heat. I'm thinking about planting trees with beautiful flowers, like Flamboyants, at the town's schools and down the major roadway. I am hoping that the mixture of beautification and lack of other utility will keep the trees standing.

We're trying to plant trees native to the area and focusing specifically on fruit trees because people here see trees in two categories: fruit and wood/charcoal. The wood trees we're planting are native endangered species that take 20 to 50 years to grow and at certain points in the year lose all their leaves and get giant yellow flowers. That tree, guayacan, can be seen here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gua...iw=1163&bih=622

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yeah, Fruit trees were my second guess as well. I was going to ask the local forester his opinion on it once my 3-month restriction period is up. Either Mangos (easy to get and people like them) or Shea trees (take forever to grow, 20+ years) but a HUGE export).

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I got an email from the recruiter about how I need to write an essay on "your motivation for service, and the potential of working as a youth and community development volunteer."

Is there any reason for this other than to antagonize me or what?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Yes, it is just to antagonize you. They want to make sure you can deal with tons of paperwork and long processes (because that is what 60% of PC is).

For a serious answer, sometimes they need for you to return to a couple answers in previous parts to make sure you are sure that you want to do Peace Corps. If you are farther along in the process, they may have found a good posting site for you and want to make sure you actually fit the job qualifications.

the shill
Sep 20, 2006

Who is Framcod? ^^^
This is the only Peace Corps forum we have, right or is there another for RPCVs? If not, what is being an RPCV like? Did the organization help you find jobs?

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
Medically cleared today... Feels good, man. Nominated for TEFL in Eastern Europe, supposed to leave this March. Should be interesting to see if that's where I end up. I guess I have a real question... I speak Mandarin Chinese, have lived in China, and was wondering if anyone thinks there'd be any harm/point in contacting my placement person and asking about the possibility of changing my region (to China, specifically). I'm happy with my current placement, but there's a selfish side of me that's paranoid about watching all the time and effort I've put into studying China and Chinese go to waste over the next two years... Would there be any good way to frame what I want to my placement person? Has anyone had/heard of someone who had success in doing something similar to this?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

the shill posted:

This is the only Peace Corps forum we have, right or is there another for RPCVs? If not, what is being an RPCV like? Did the organization help you find jobs?

It didn't help me specifically, but I know people who have utilized the RPCV network for job opportunities (not to mention people who came back and worked as recruiter). Although I didn't get a job from being an RPCV, I did go to one of their career fairs soon after COS and found it IMMENSELY useful. I reworked my resume pretty hard and was very happy with it afterwards. They also offer a lot of workshops, tips, and practice with 1 on 1 interviews, panel interviews, informational interviews, elevator pitches, and a slew of other stuff that is helpful for getting a job, whether one year out of service or ten. The final day of the workshop was a job fair with a solid number of consulting firms, teaching gigs, grad programs, etc. and that was a good chance not just to hand out resumes but also to practice everything they'd taught us the previous two days.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Monkey Fury posted:

Medically cleared today... Feels good, man. Nominated for TEFL in Eastern Europe, supposed to leave this March. Should be interesting to see if that's where I end up. I guess I have a real question... I speak Mandarin Chinese, have lived in China, and was wondering if anyone thinks there'd be any harm/point in contacting my placement person and asking about the possibility of changing my region (to China, specifically). I'm happy with my current placement, but there's a selfish side of me that's paranoid about watching all the time and effort I've put into studying China and Chinese go to waste over the next two years... Would there be any good way to frame what I want to my placement person? Has anyone had/heard of someone who had success in doing something similar to this?

I am a native speaker of Mandarin and I don't think they give a gently caress.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Look at it as a chance to learn a third language!

I know from the perspective of development work, I could do my best work in a country where I already speak the language. However, if I were already fluent in Spanish I don't think I'd be as excited to go to the Dominican Republic. The language training is a huge plus for me (selfish!). If I did the PC again, I'd want a French speaking country or something.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Thesaurus posted:

Look at it as a chance to learn a third language!

It would be my fourth language :unsmith:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

If you have local languages at your site, you might learn your 5th as well (which you will never use again)!

the shill
Sep 20, 2006

Who is Framcod? ^^^
It wouldn't hurt to ask when your placement officer calls you. Just say, "I'm open to anything but I could be a real asset to Peace Corps China."

I'm nearing the end of my service (April 2013) and looking for jobs so tell me about your post peace corps jobs!

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Do you PCVs have any items that you would definitely recommending bringing (or NOT bringing) with you?

Scouring blogs and so forth convinced my wife and me to get headlamps for Christmas. Every PCV I've talked to said it was a high priority.

I'm sure some of this varies regionally (I'll be in the Caribbean). No freezing to death for me, you suckers in Central Asia!

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

I would suggest an ereader and a usb solar charger. You'll be bored a lot waiting for meetings to start, waiting for the bus, etc, and books are heavy.

Ex-officio underwear is great for hot climates. Since you're in the Caribbean i'd also recommend a hammock. When the power goes out and your fan stops your mattress will get very, very hot and a hammock at least gives you some air under your rear end.

Here's the peace corps wiki packing list guide by country:

http://www.peacecorpswiki.org/Packing_lists_by_country

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Thesaurus posted:

Do you PCVs have any items that you would definitely recommending bringing (or NOT bringing) with you?

Scouring blogs and so forth convinced my wife and me to get headlamps for Christmas. Every PCV I've talked to said it was a high priority.

I'm sure some of this varies regionally (I'll be in the Caribbean). No freezing to death for me, you suckers in Central Asia!

I'll second the headlamps and e-reader. Both are great to have.

You should try and find out how cell phones work in your country as well. In places that use Sim Cards + Pre-payment you can generally bring a smart phone with you to check the internet, email, etc. Just ask the store where you bought it to unlock the Sim Card slot though I know you have to ask Apple for iPhones at least. But I wouldn't bring it unless its already been bought. Developing countries tend to destroy everything you own very quickly.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Slaan posted:

I'll second the headlamps and e-reader. Both are great to have.

You should try and find out how cell phones work in your country as well. In places that use Sim Cards + Pre-payment you can generally bring a smart phone with you to check the internet, email, etc. Just ask the store where you bought it to unlock the Sim Card slot though I know you have to ask Apple for iPhones at least. But I wouldn't bring it unless its already been bought. Developing countries tend to destroy everything you own very quickly.

You presume that I have a phone that's "smart" and isn't "developing world" quality already :(

Definitely going to bring a kindle/kindle fire. I imagine that I could get a hammock in country? I don't know how well that'd work for a couple, either.

Can anyone recommend particular solar chargers? In addition to the USB chargers, are there good "all purpose" chargers I could use for a laptop?

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

You'll most likely have fairly reliable electricity, I just used my solar charger if the power was out for a few days from a storm and honestly could have easy gotten by without it.

I'm sure you can find a hammock down there although I really liked mine. Wrapped up it was really small and lightweight: http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/DOUBLENEST.html

For everything else remember there's a high chance of stuff breaking / getting stolen. Definitely get the insurance (it was Clements when I was down there, they sent me a check when my laptop died and I had the money within a few weeks) and keep everything backed up.

One other thing is shirts with pockets. When you're crammed in a bus it's a lot easier to keep a few bills in your shirt than trying to get to your wallet.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
So I was nominated for English teaching this July (location TBD).

In terms of what's next, the recruiter told me I have some fingerprinting to do. After that, I go through the invitation screening, and it's only AFTER I'm nominated that I go in for a physical (at least that's the way my recruiter described it to me). Can anyone elaborate/share any experiences about any of this?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

First: I somehow doubt you will leave in July. The only month timeline that is actually accurate is your actual leave date when you learn your country. Think it more as "July if everything turns out really well, but probably a bit later."

Other than that I believe that process has changed since most of us got in-country, so we can't provide as many specifics as we would like. But in general remain calm, and above all, patient. The process is long and tedious and you will answer the same thing 15+ times. But the only really difficult part is the medical part. Tracking down all your medical history, a place to do the million tests, etc is a pain in the rear end. But the PC is generally pretty understanding. As long as you keep up with your recruiter/med liaison about any issues they can extend any deadlines.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

General advice: be very prompt in getting everything done that the PC requests. Don't be afraid to email/call the PC office for clarification, or if you seem to have been left in the lurch (this probably won't happen... things take a long time to get done).

The "new system" started this Fall, and it involves getting nominated/placed first and getting medical clearance second. I applied under the old system before things transitioned over, when you had to get medical clearance before they'd look into placing you.

I don't know how people's timelines compare, but I know that the PC was changing things up to try to make the application process faster. You'll at least get to find out where you are (probably) going early on and the date, rather than waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the medical stuff to come through.

You'll still need the wait to get all of the medical stuff done (I don't know how much they've expedited that part), but at least you won't be tearing your hair out as much and you can fantasize more about your life in X country.*

*Unless you are falsely diagnosed as having latent tuburculosis, having to repeat the test four separate times, missing your original leave date, starting a course of antibiotics, only to find out that the test was wrong all along!

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008

Thesaurus posted:

General advice: be very prompt in getting everything done that the PC requests. Don't be afraid to email/call the PC office for clarification, or if you seem to have been left in the lurch (this probably won't happen... things take a long time to get done).

The "new system" started this Fall, and it involves getting nominated/placed first and getting medical clearance second. I applied under the old system before things transitioned over, when you had to get medical clearance before they'd look into placing you.

I don't know how people's timelines compare, but I know that the PC was changing things up to try to make the application process faster. You'll at least get to find out where you are (probably) going early on and the date, rather than waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the medical stuff to come through.

You'll still need the wait to get all of the medical stuff done (I don't know how much they've expedited that part), but at least you won't be tearing your hair out as much and you can fantasize more about your life in X country.*

*Unless you are falsely diagnosed as having latent tuburculosis, having to repeat the test four separate times, missing your original leave date, starting a course of antibiotics, only to find out that the test was wrong all along!

Thanks for the info. I've heard a bunch of horror stories, so wouldn't the new application process make it even more difficult to get through? In other words, because the new process only gives you a month or two to finish the medical check(the time between you're invited and the time staging begins), don't I risk missing my staging date?

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I'm right in the middle of the "new system" and there's not a lot of difference from what I can tell. You get a bunch of immunization, exam, and dental forms to fill out with immunization records and with your doctors. Then you upload them onto the medical portal. You're supposed to get your medical documents no more than 120 days before your departure but I got mine later than that (though not much later). Basically you have two months to get your stuff done or you're SOL.

the shill
Sep 20, 2006

Who is Framcod? ^^^
I'll third the recommendation on headlamp and e-reader and second slaan's comment about the third world destroying your everything, especially tech. I've broken 1 computer, 1 camera, 2 kindles, 1 iPod touch, 1 cheap LG smart phone and had 1 DSLR camera stolen.

Pack as light as possible. If I had to do it again I wouldn't have bought a trekking backpack (unless you plan on eschewing vacation policy/ the DR isn't that big). Also I wouldn't have brought a tent, two sleeping bags, and two sleeping pads (I never felt safe sleeping anywhere but in a hostal or another PCVs house). I would not have brought hiking boots (everyone in your community will be wearing the cheapest shoes, rubber boots, or flip flops, and most hikes can be done in these).

That being said, if your foot size is bigger than a 44 european, you'd better buy rubber boots in the states (if you think you'll be in a rural site), or any foot wear for that matter.

Be smart about what you buy, you're now qualified for a whole bunch of pretty sweet pro deal discounts. check the peace corps wiki for details. A light breathable rain jacket was something I missed, one you can use whether it's raining or not.

Don't bring zip off adventure pants, you will look like a tool. Everyone else will be wearing jeans and you'll want to fit in even if it means extra weight or longer drying time.

I would dissuade you if possible from bringing a big DSLR camera, you'll be a target. Instead find a nice point and shoot and get a really beat up old looking case for it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

Don't bring zip off adventure pants, you will look like a tool. Everyone else will be wearing jeans and you'll want to fit in even if it means extra weight or longer drying time

Yeah I also second this. I brought a few pairs of these and realized how loving terrible I looked after I actually got to village. I mostly wear jeans/t-shirts or locally-tailored clothing. They are pretty much what everyone wears here. Though jeans are a huge pain in the rear end to hand-wash and line-dry.

A good rain jacket and/or windbreaker are good too. Even though they make you really hot they keep a lot of the dirt and poo poo off of your clothes when traveling.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions!

I don't have zip off pants, but I have a couple pairs quick drying slacks. Can I assume these don't look too toolish? (At a meeting, the PC recruiter actually pointed to them and said, "Those pants would be perfect," but she also advised against jeans, so I dunno. I think she was talking about the material.)

http://www.rei.com/product/784059/rei-adventures-pants-mens-30-inseam

I hadn't planned on bringing jeans, but maybe I'll bring a pair now (or buy some there). Since I'll be working in schools and such, I was concerned jeans would be too casual. The materials they sent us really stressed how we need to look professional on the job and that's a big deal for Dominicans. Are they just trying to make sure I don't show up in ratty shorts and flip flops?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Those should be fine. They look enough like regular slacks that you won't look weird, I think, and they'll probably be cooler than jeans (and easier to dry).

That said, you should also bring at least a pair or two of actual slacks, like Dockers or something. I served in Cambodia, and maybe things were a bit different there, but most teachers wore slacks and short sleeved button-downs every day. You'll want actual quasi-dressy pants for any more serious occasions, I would imagine.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Right, TEFL teachers, and I assume a few other sectors like the IT guys, are supposed to wear nicer clothes since y'all work in more official/officy situations. So bringing some some light khakis (not expensive because they WILL get dirty) and a few casual button downs is generally enough. American office clothing breaks too easily in the third world but you still want to look nice.

But certainly bring jeans/t-shirts for your off time and out-of-class projects.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm, recruiter just pulled me from the youth and community development to potentially do health (?). I just need to get some hours in volunteering somewhere for that track. Is it any good?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Slaan posted:

Right, TEFL teachers, and I assume a few other sectors like the IT guys, are supposed to wear nicer clothes since y'all work in more official/officy situations. So bringing some some light khakis (not expensive because they WILL get dirty) and a few casual button downs is generally enough. American office clothing breaks too easily in the third world but you still want to look nice.

But certainly bring jeans/t-shirts for your off time and out-of-class projects.

For my off-time pants, I still thought jeans were too hot (this was in Cambodia) so I, and most of the other volunteers from what I remember, often wore athletic pants. Things like http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13070704&cp=694014&parentPage=family

Jeans work too though, if you're okay with them not being very breathable. None of the locals in my area wore jeans so none of the volunteers really did either. Just go with what the locals do.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

CronoGamer posted:

Just go with what the locals do.

A krama and nothing else?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Moon Slayer posted:

Lucky if they even had a kromah. One of the guys in Prey Veng told a story about how he was sitting out in front of his house sipping coffee, looking out across the street, and the man who lived on the other side came out of the house in a long white undershirt and seemingly tiny underpants. Walked around the front, saw a part of the gutter that was hanging loose, reached up to fix it, and as his shirt rode up it became apparent that he wasn't wearing any underpants at all. And I thought I was racy free-balling in my kromah...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Moon Slayer posted:

It's always the men with the biggest guts hanging out wearing sarungs :sigh:

Stuntcat
Oct 12, 2004
^_^
People who have already gone through COS! I am putting together my COS conference with some other volunteers, and we want ideas. Was there anything your COS had that you think we should do? We're already doing an anonymous mailcall thing and t-shirts.

Also mild winter, yay, it is already 40 degrees in my room, wooo!

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I just got medical and dental clearance under the new system so I figured I'd let everyone know what has changed. And Moon Slayer, if you want to add this to the OP it might be helpful.

Part of the application is now the MMF which is essentially a questionnaire about your health over the last two years. The time between nomination and invitation is now essentially a dead zone. About a week before invitation, You'll get a and new essay to write and a new format for your resume. The next week, you'll get your invitation and once you accept or reject, you'll be able to access the medical applicant portal and your physical dental and immunization paperwork. The peace corps will reimburse you $150 for a yellow fever shot $60 for your physical exam and $40 for the dental exam. According to my physician, the new Physical is MUCH shorter than the old one (though just as invasive :zoid:).

The thing that amazed me the most was the speed which i was cleared; After I had everything scanned and sent in, I was cleared the next day.

fake edit: I'm not sure about those reimbursement figures, it's what I got.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

^^^ Mmmmmm, lots and lots of shots and blood tests. I can't wait until mid-service medical!
I'm pretty sure that they can reimburse more, but that most people only get roughly what you did for medical.

Stuntcat posted:

People who have already gone through COS! I am putting together my COS conference with some other volunteers, and we want ideas. Was there anything your COS had that you think we should do? We're already doing an anonymous mailcall thing and t-shirts.

Also mild winter, yay, it is already 40 degrees in my room, wooo!

95 all day, erry day. All night too!

Take-stuff home secret santa? I'm guessing your conference is 2-4 months before you leave. So have a secret/dirty santa kind of things with a (very) small item you bought/made in village. Exchange the packages and see who can hold out until they get back to the States.

Have someone's family send in 3-5 bottles of scotch? You would be the hit of the party!

Stuntcat
Oct 12, 2004
^_^

Slaan posted:

95 all day, erry day. All night too!

Take-stuff home secret santa? I'm guessing your conference is 2-4 months before you leave. So have a secret/dirty santa kind of things with a (very) small item you bought/made in village. Exchange the packages and see who can hold out until they get back to the States.

Have someone's family send in 3-5 bottles of scotch? You would be the hit of the party!

It was 25 in my room this time last year. I wore my jacket to bed.

HM! Good plans.

And for a second I read that as "have everyone's family" and I was like, drat we are in a drinking country but I'm p sure I don't want to be the source of alcohol poisoning for the entire group.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Hi everyone!

I'm departing with my wife this summer as a PCMI (not sure where yet.) The school I attend has a huge RPCV and MI population and this semester I've found myself working on a project with two other RPCVs. We're working on creating a training module that could be incorporated into the 3 month in-country training session that everyone goes through.

The module would be designed to create "asset inventories" of the in-country volunteers that would be built by the incoming cohorts, and then shared and used throughout a volunteer's service. Right now, PC volunteers working in-country usually have very little knowledge about the skills and backgrounds of the cohort they come into the country with.

Aaanyhow. Right now we're in the very beginning stages of this project and we're looking for some information from incoming volunteers and RPCVs. We've put together a short open-ended survey and we're passing it around. if anyone in this thread is interested in contributing your input to our project the survey can be taken here.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 3, 2017

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008

Borscht posted:

I just got medical and dental clearance under the new system so I figured I'd let everyone know what has changed. And Moon Slayer, if you want to add this to the OP it might be helpful.

Part of the application is now the MMF which is essentially a questionnaire about your health over the last two years. The time between nomination and invitation is now essentially a dead zone. About a week before invitation, You'll get a and new essay to write and a new format for your resume. The next week, you'll get your invitation and once you accept or reject, you'll be able to access the medical applicant portal and your physical dental and immunization paperwork. The peace corps will reimburse you $150 for a yellow fever shot $60 for your physical exam and $40 for the dental exam. According to my physician, the new Physical is MUCH shorter than the old one (though just as invasive :zoid:).

The thing that amazed me the most was the speed which i was cleared; After I had everything scanned and sent in, I was cleared the next day.

fake edit: I'm not sure about those reimbursement figures, it's what I got.

So I'm nominated for education in July, and a copule weeks ago I submitted a suitability questionnaire emailed to me by a placement officer. Is this the essay that you're referring to, and should I expect further contact with more forms to fill out? I haven't heard anything since I submitted the questionnaire, and I haven't been notified about anything on the medical front (I have been legally cleared, though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

^^^

Not sure about the new essay section but its likely- there are always more forms. But just in general you should try to call the guys every couple weeks anyways to check up on things. At one point an important email got caught in my spam box for like a month and I was almost disqualified for it; if I hadn't called to check up on things I wouldn't have been given an extension. Their job is to help you work your way through all the paperwork, and it might even help them place you a bit if you are talking to the same 2 or 3 people who get to know you.

Its like getting a job; be interested, not annoying.

CHARLES posted:

Aaanyhow. Right now we're in the very beginning stages of this project and we're looking for some information from incoming volunteers and RPCVs. We've put together a short open-ended survey and we're passing it around. if anyone in this thread is interested in contributing your input to our project the survey can be taken here.

This is a really cool idea. I have no doubt several of us will take your survey. Good luck with doing this and your service soon! If you are leaving in June you might be going to Benin. (Its a cool Hot place to be).

e: The questions it is taking me to after putting in current volunteer seem to be for departing volunteers. Are there different questions for each of the types (RPCV, PCV, departing) or the same list of questions?

Slaan fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 8, 2013

• Locked thread