Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Firstly, thank you for the experience table. I really like that they made it so that there is no real reason (exp wise) to not have a 6th PC in the group.

cycomatix posted:

...hunting snow bunnies at level 97 in the new RoF Eastern Waste zone blows.

This literally made me chuckle out loud at the concept of a little fluffy white bunny that his for somewhere in the 5 digits.

Also, I want to add that I loving hate Feerrott the Dream. My wizard hit 80 last night, and I had tucked away enough Dream Motes to buy my wizard a full set of level 80 non-visible gear (or so I thought). So, I port to Cazic Thule (druids can go straight to the Feerrott, but not wizards), evac to the zone line, zone to the old Feerrott and click the statue by the river to zone into the Dream. I used in-zone evac again to get a bit closer to the guy, invisd, ran to him, and bought my gear. However, I had miscalculated and was 30 Motes short of a full set, so I went back to PoK and bought them from the bazaar and attempted to return via the same route.

On my way back, some gorilla saw me invis and killed me in half a second, so I decided to try again. This time, I got aggro from some thing so I ran to the Rathe Mountains zone line, which I didn't realise pushed you back into classic EQ, so when I came back to the Feerrott after clearing aggro, it was the old newb zone. So, I try again, and right as I zone into the Dream again, I literally died as soon as I zoned in because some twat had trained the zone in. I gave up after this and went to the guild hall to have my bodies summoned (nice that one summoning pendant calls all of your bodies at once) and ressurected. I stopped trying after that, so my wizard is wearing solid level 80 gear everywhere apart from one earring that would be appropriate for a level 60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
If you have access to a guild hall you can just buy a 50plat stone that will teleport you to Feerott the Dream.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ninkobei posted:

If you have access to a guild hall you can just buy a 50plat stone that will teleport you to Feerott the Dream.

It's over 200 plat, but going through the Feerrott statue is free. The point is that I have to run across at least part of the zone, and if anything sees me I am dead in in instant.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

It's over 200 plat, but going through the Feerrott statue is free. The point is that I have to run across at least part of the zone, and if anything sees me I am dead in in instant.

Well, you are 5 levels below that content. What do you really expect? Especially in late game content, where mudflation has had its run, if you aren't ready for it, you're going to die. My main is a level 89 mage and if I don't have a merc up, I have to gate if I get agro in Feerrott 2.0. What I'm getting at is: you aren't broken, that's just the game.

lotor9530 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 31, 2012

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
Sounds like my first few experiences with new Feerrott. After you get used to it, its not so bad though. The gorillas are mostly concentrated in the north west part of the zone, and aside from a very small smattering of undead mobs and the easily avoidable lizardman camps, just about nothing sees invis.

If you take the guild portal to Feerrott, and just make a straight shot to the dream mote merchant invis, levitating across the river or running over the bridge, 99% of the time you'll make it there safe. Occasionally there is a group over there fighting gorillas though, in which case, give them a bit of a wide berth because some of those things have some crazy AOEs.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
If you zone in via statue, you can pretty much make it to the mote guy the same way as oldschool Kith. Just stick to the highest part of the left wall all the way around EXCEPT for the extreme SW corner full of nasties

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Thank you for the advice (and the condescending shitpost). I'll keep that in mind if I decide to have another go.

I have another question: What should I buy in AA for my bard? Basically, all 4 of my 80s have an AA cap of 1200 right now (1000 base silver plus a bit of Station Cash). My SK has 1029 now, but I have a very clear plan for developing him and I'll hit my cap before I run out of useful upgrades. My bard, however, has 1070 assigned (8 unspent at time of writing) and I don't know where to put the rest of it. I've maxed all of the Song enhancement AA's for his level, all of the HP AA's, all of the melee damage ones and so on (I won't methodically list them all) and I really don't know where I am going to go from here. Input appreciated.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

There are undead in the water, undead along the zone wall to the left from the normal zone, undead gorillas mixed in around with the normal gorillas and some of the caster lizardmen see invis.

To get the to dream mote guy, follow the river bank till you're due east of him, then cut straight over. There are a couple named that may be up on this path, but normal mobs won't disturb you.

Or level till you get your instant aggro drop AA and never worry about traveling through zones again.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
It depends what you want to do with your bard exactly, and I'm no expert myself, but Fading Memories is an absolute must if you haven't taken it. I've personally found that fierce eye and funeral dirge are pretty nice if you want a few activate abilities to boost your dps for your entire group. Boastful Bellows is also excellent for pulling.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

jetz0r posted:

There are undead in the water, undead along the zone wall to the left from the normal zone, undead gorillas mixed in around with the normal gorillas and some of the caster lizardmen see invis.

To get the to dream mote guy, follow the river bank till you're due east of him, then cut straight over. There are a couple named that may be up on this path, but normal mobs won't disturb you.

Or level till you get your instant aggro drop AA and never worry about traveling through zones again.

I didn't know that wizards got such a thing. That's exciting.

My bard has had Fading Memories for literally 10 years (amazing then, even better now) Bellow is max for his level, and I have about 1 level in each of those bard-specific activatable abilities like Fierce Eye and Funeral Dirge. I'll probably start putting my points in there.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Quick time is another good dps booster.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Just ticked over 6k AAs on my Necro that I started in November, running out of important things to spend them on.

Think I'm going to bank 70 then ding 100.

StickOnTattoos
May 5, 2006
Lick it and stick it
Funeral Dirge is awesome for adding DPS to named and raid fights

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

StickOnTattoos posted:

Funeral Dirge is awesome for adding DPS to named and raid fights

I can only have one level of Quick Time at 80, so I am following suggestions on this forum and going to max that out next.

Also, I am leveling my wizard's Throwing skill from 1 to the Level 80 cap of 340. I bought 10,000 Combine Shuriken and am currently using /autofire to throw them over and over at my druid's merc (who is on passive). I'll let you know how many it takes to cap out. Yes I have a good reason for this.

Request edited in: How do you turn off auras, so to speak? I have this problem all the time with my bard. I just realised that my bard was using his 70 Aura rather than 80, so I switched. Even if I click off the Aura in the Song window, when I try to play my higher-level aura it tells me that I dont have the concentration necessary to blah blah blah. Ive never really figured out how this works.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 1, 2013

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Shift + A brings up the aura window. right click it to dispell it. Extended enhancement is also a vital one. It not only affects your clickies, but your songs as well. You can twist five songs with it maxed.

vaerd
Nov 19, 2006
Make sure the auras window is up (default is shift+A), just right click the aura and there should be an option to remove.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ponzicar posted:

Shift + A brings up the aura window. right click it to dispell it. Extended enhancement is also a vital one. It not only affects your clickies, but your songs as well. You can twist five songs with it maxed.

Thank you both. I think it was being wonkie due to a conflict with my level 80 overhaste song, which I dont like to use because it takes mana.

Is Extended Enhancement the right name? I dont see anything like that in the bard AA lists, and the only ability I know of that extends song ticks is A Tune Stuck in Your Head, and that only lasts a short while.

Edit: Results are in... it took 7,659 shuriken to raise Throwing from 1 to 340.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 1, 2013

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I got the name wrong. The bard one is Extended Ingenuity. The description says it only works on items, but it works on songs as well.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ponzicar posted:

I got the name wrong. The bard one is Extended Ingenuity. The description says it only works on items, but it works on songs as well.

Holy poo poo! I had no idea. Thank you

2X2 Eyes
May 30, 2010

|||||||||!

ponzicar posted:

Does this work on Auras too? My monk auras only last 30 minutes and I do not know why. Id love to extend the duration.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

2X2 Eyes posted:

Does this work on Auras too? My monk auras only last 30 minutes and I do not know why. Id love to extend the duration.

No, monk aura is just bugged to drop at 30 mins and always has been. It's a huge pain in the rear end but you eventually get used to it :(

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I don't think so. As best as I can tell, auras last 30 minutes, but refresh if you zone. Other times they seem to drop randomly. There's a lot of weirdness with them.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ponzicar posted:

I don't think so. As best as I can tell, auras last 30 minutes, but refresh if you zone. Other times they seem to drop randomly. There's a lot of weirdness with them.

Ah, okay, that explains a lot.

Now, on the heels of someone mentioning Extended Ingenuity and a gracious goon adding me to Filling the Repository (from which my 3 toons got 30 AA each), I hope that you will forgive the following outburst:

I WAS TWISTING SIX SONGS AT ONCE!!! gently caress ME I WAS TWISTING SIX SONGS AT ONCE!!!

Thank you for your indulgence.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Auras are completely hosed and separate from any other buff types you're used to. It's actually an shadowman NPC that follows you around and plays the AE buff effect. Well, except for the auras that stay in place and have a model (shm, enc, bard totems). But the point is that each aura is an extra NPC running around casting a buff. So none of your buff AAs effect them, and the devs kind of hate auras because raids have an extra 30+ invisible NPCs running around doing buffs every tick.

From watching all the AA chats, every aura class brought them up at some point and the response was always "No more auras, we're not changing auras, gently caress you".

And I can't wait for the new AAs to go in, druids did so loving well that I can't even imagine how much differently we're going to play at the high end.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

jetz0r posted:

Auras are completely hosed and separate from any other buff types you're used to. It's actually an shadowman NPC that follows you around and plays the AE buff effect. Well, except for the auras that stay in place and have a model (shm, enc, bard totems). But the point is that each aura is an extra NPC running around casting a buff. So none of your buff AAs effect them, and the devs kind of hate auras because raids have an extra 30+ invisible NPCs running around doing buffs every tick.

From watching all the AA chats, every aura class brought them up at some point and the response was always "No more auras, we're not changing auras, gently caress you".

And I can't wait for the new AAs to go in, druids did so loving well that I can't even imagine how much differently we're going to play at the high end.

I feel like it's more complicated with the auras than "applies every tick" since I have my bard with aura on autofollow, and the aura range is approximately how far back he ends up running - so I get the aura feathering on and off way more often than once a tick.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Ive been swarming a bit with my SK, and I was wondering if there is any AA (or otherwise) that can make Mortal Coil proc more often. I have it maxed for my current level, but Ive died a few times because my epic click was down, and I could not get MC to proc despite having beaten down 8-11 mobs in a row. There is an Archetype AA called Weapon Affinity that enhances the performance of your weapons by increasing the rate that they trigger effects (direct quote). I know that this does not say anything about an on-death effect such as MC, but I thought I would ask as that fantastic bard AA that extended song durations was so horridly described.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 1, 2013

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Nope, it's a set 25% chance no matter what level of the AA you have or what other mods you have. Unload all your insta-dots at the start of a swarm to kill as many as possible ASAP until you get a MC proc, then I generally wear them down equally depending on how long it'll take to drop the whole swarm.

Don't forget discs and other AAs if you get into trouble. Deflection/LeechCurse/etc can all keep you up long enough for a few more kills trying to proc MC

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Is there an easy to use combat parser (preferably with instructions on how to find the logs, etc)? I want to experiment with swapping out my second tank merc for a rogue / wiz and see how the damage compares. I know the recommendation was for a wizard merc for dps - but I've got so much haste / procs going on with my shaman and bard it seems hard to believe that a rogue wouldn't be competitive. Especially since right now (mid 60s) fights are so much shorter.

Right now I'm grinding up my trio (SK, bard, shaman) to 71, so I can get the fun level 70 equipment / weapons, plus the shaman group-buff version of the Puma line (which is a 71 spell). Then the plan is to grind out AAs until I hate life and quit. And let me just take a moment to plug how awesome it is on FV that I can grab a 64 dam / 28 delay required level 70 weapon for 500pp on the bazaar - plus equivalent quality for all the 2hand skills for similar prices.

I assume at 71 I would still be able to use The Hole for grinding AAs? I saw someone had recommended it for 70. I guess that might make a difference for my stopping point (70 vs 71) if anyone knows.

Also - glad you pointed out those instant-cast dots - I saw dots in the spell lineup and assumed they would be more long-casting crap. I'll have to check out the higher stuff more carefully.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yep 71 is okay for The Hole aaing. I think it should be much faster now with the AA buffs. You could be out of the hole in a week's time if you manage to get lucky and get the place to yourself. With a 3 box it may be a bit slow though. That is to say, as a 71 SK I could clear the entire temple by myself and still have downtime. Paw might be a better place for the three of you especially if you find some people to party with.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ninkobei posted:

Yep 71 is okay for The Hole aaing. I think it should be much faster now with the AA buffs. You could be out of the hole in a week's time if you manage to get lucky and get the place to yourself. With a 3 box it may be a bit slow though. That is to say, as a 71 SK I could clear the entire temple by myself and still have downtime. Paw might be a better place for the three of you especially if you find some people to party with.

Does that mean the temple is the only place that will give xp at 70/71? I did the Hole 3-boxing with level 65/55/55 trio for a while, and while temple was best, I could still get half-decent xp off of other stuff. Is there a formula for figuring out what level stuff turns gray?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Gamparse is basically the only option for a log parser. To find your logfiles, just use. 'Open game folder' from the patcher.

I know on the high end that wiz mercs on burn destroy rogue mercs and most players. They put up about 20k dps on burn mode and about 12k on balanced. On burn mode they WILL be tanking, even sks have a hard time holding aggro against that. But that's for a L100 J5, I have no idea how they compare at lower levels.

I've had several groups recently where we summon max wiz mercs and try to keep them alive instead of deaaling with the stupid things tank mercs do. Also owns to have groups sustaining 80-100k dps, don't need to keep the merc alive for very long.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

jetz0r posted:

Gamparse is basically the only option for a log parser. To find your logfiles, just use. 'Open game folder' from the patcher.

I know on the high end that wiz mercs on burn destroy rogue mercs and most players. They put up about 20k dps on burn mode and about 12k on balanced. On burn mode they WILL be tanking, even sks have a hard time holding aggro against that. But that's for a L100 J5, I have no idea how they compare at lower levels.

I've had several groups recently where we summon max wiz mercs and try to keep them alive instead of deaaling with the stupid things tank mercs do. Also owns to have groups sustaining 80-100k dps, don't need to keep the merc alive for very long.

If you put a wiz merc on burn mode, there just ain't no getting that aggro back. I can throw all hate generating spells and AA at the mob and it's not coming back.

2X2 Eyes
May 30, 2010

|||||||||!
So are hell levels still a thing? I just hit 77 and feel like the xp took a dive. Currently I am grinding in paw which should be OK but it is taking forever. Am I just hitting the point where it all ramps up and I can only expect to eventually make a bar a day?

Also, how hard is the tribunal? Working on my 1.5 for kicks in between grinding. Not sure how many people I would need to get the mark from PoJ.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

jetz0r posted:

Hell, they pretty much can tank anything below level 80 anyway.

2X2 Eyes posted:

So are hell levels still a thing? I just hit 77 and feel like the xp took a dive. Currently I am grinding in paw which should be OK but it is taking forever. Am I just hitting the point where it all ramps up and I can only expect to eventually make a bar a day?

My understanding is that hell levels were caused by a bug of some sort and removed from the game. Exp just nose dives around your level unless you unless you've got a really efficient group or power leveling, and even then it still is noticeably slower than it was all the way to that point. As a general rule, it is much more efficient to kill a lot of lower level mobs than a few higher level mobs if you want to grind out experience, like blues or even light blues.

I want to say Thalassius is a decent spot at your level, but I can't remember where the hell I actually grinded at 77 its been so long.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
Btw for those who weren't Online, we're looking to do Anguish sunday night at 8pm EST, 5PM PST, if anyone's interested (this is on Luclin-Stromm)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Devor posted:

Is there an easy to use combat parser (preferably with instructions on how to find the logs, etc)? I want to experiment with swapping out my second tank merc for a rogue / wiz and see how the damage compares. I know the recommendation was for a wizard merc for dps - but I've got so much haste / procs going on with my shaman and bard it seems hard to believe that a rogue wouldn't be competitive. Especially since right now (mid 60s) fights are so much shorter.

Right now I'm grinding up my trio (SK, bard, shaman) to 71, so I can get the fun level 70 equipment / weapons, plus the shaman group-buff version of the Puma line (which is a 71 spell). Then the plan is to grind out AAs until I hate life and quit. And let me just take a moment to plug how awesome it is on FV that I can grab a 64 dam / 28 delay required level 70 weapon for 500pp on the bazaar - plus equivalent quality for all the 2hand skills for similar prices.

I assume at 71 I would still be able to use The Hole for grinding AAs? I saw someone had recommended it for 70. I guess that might make a difference for my stopping point (70 vs 71) if anyone knows.

Also - glad you pointed out those instant-cast dots - I saw dots in the spell lineup and assumed they would be more long-casting crap. I'll have to check out the higher stuff more carefully.

In the 70s in Paw the rogue merc blows the wizard merc out of the water. Fights last literally half the time with the rogue. I have no clue how that compares at level 100 or J1 vs J5.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Vomik posted:

In the 70s in Paw the rogue merc blows the wizard merc out of the water. Fights last literally half the time with the rogue. I have no clue how that compares at level 100 or J1 vs J5.

I can corroborate this as someone who has spent far too much time in Paw himself. I would never slag off wizards as I play one myself, but even an A5 rogue merc down there really shortens fights. Merc tanks can be retarded and merc clerics are as thick as pig poo poo sometimes (my A5 cleric mercs are horridly inefficient with their mana and it drives me battty), but merc rogues are very efficient, always assist the proper tank, virtually never pull aggro, etc. Wizards are great for flashy burst damage, but rogue mercs do very well for consistent, smart, safe DPS.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

The J5 mercs completely change the entire merc experience. A J5 cleric merc is hands down a drat good healer that pretty much never does anything stupid if you spell block the poo poo you don't want him to cast. I honestly can't think of a single fight I could've survived with a PC Cleric that I couldn't survive with my merc cleric + shaman spot heals for when I ate really really bad rounds.

Out of every single thing you can do in the entire game, the J5 quest line is the #1 MUST DO ASAP thing. The J5 tank can single-target tank as well as a geared/AAd PC and the Cleric never, ever runs out of mana even spamming you. DPS Mercs weren't a thing until after I had J5, so I'm not sure how much improvement J5 gets you there, but it's absolutely game-breaking on tank/cleric. It sucks that the questline is such a piece of poo poo to do

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Trying out the rogue merc, and while I haven't whipped out the parser yet, he has some loving amazing abilities while on Burn. I saw him double nuke for 3k each once, and single nuke for that much once. He didn't pull aggro from the tank, and when my bard died while my tank was on passive, he managed to tank one of the two mobs (gnolls in Steppes hitting for 750), with the cleric merc tanking the other one, til they died. As a side note, this has made me re-evaluate keeping the tank on my bard, since the songs make him pull aggro on pulls pretty often. Healer merc stays on my SK for feigns in the event of wipes.

So a question on what appears to be focus effects: I had been using creeping darkness (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=344), the level 11 snare since it's only 1.8s cast time, compared to 3s cast time for the higher level snares. Cheaper on mana, too. But I just tried out Festering Darkness, the SK special level 61 snare (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=3400).

When I inspect Clinging, and when I cast it, it takes the full 1.8s to cast. However, when I inspect Festering, it says 3.0s (1.5s), and does only take 1.5s to cast - and I assume this is my cleric's casting speed buff kicking in? It seems dumb that a slower spell can end up actually faster.

Devor fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Devor posted:

When I inspect Clinging, and when I cast it, it takes the full 1.8s to cast. However, when I inspect Festering, it says 3.0s (1.5s), and does only take 1.5s to cast - and I assume this is my cleric's casting speed buff kicking in? It seems dumb that a slower spell can end up actually faster.

Correct, somewhere around 1.8s is where spells become immune to spell haste effects, letting the 3s spells hit their max 50% haste and become faster. The (1.5) is cast time after all applicable spell hastes is factored in