Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Geekner posted:

I think the review team shut down for a week during xmas, they sent an email out about it a while ago. You're probably stuck at the end of a really long queue.

The review team had a vacation through Jan 1; iTunes Connect shuts down for that week over Xmas. I did request an expedited review and was denied.

As for the app breaking horribly with the new design, the blame falls with me, and I apologize. There's no excuse for the app doing such a horrendous job handling parsing errors. We knew scraping a website we don't control would be fragile, the fallout compounded by long review times. It's on the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned, but threads are showing up as one HUGE page in my app since the update.

The length of the page appears to be random and clicking on threads in my bookmarks, which used to bring me to the unread post, now just starts at the "beginning" of the page and I have to click scroll to bottom to get to the end. Is this behavior intentional? I kind of liked having pages.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Test posting in 1.10 from my Christmas iPad mini. Once I turned off thread tags, it works like a charm!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

tuyop posted:

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned, but threads are showing up as one HUGE page in my app since the update.

The length of the page appears to be random and clicking on threads in my bookmarks, which used to bring me to the unread post, now just starts at the "beginning" of the page and I have to click scroll to bottom to get to the end. Is this behavior intentional? I kind of liked having pages.

Please open this thread in safari to see what's going on ( new design bug blues ).

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

pokeyman posted:

This is something I need to fix. In the meantime you can try logging out then back in within the app.

I can't :stare:
Once I hit log out on the confirmation prompt it crashes but shows me logged out for a brief second, then when I reopen I'm still logged in. Going to delete and reinstall again I guess.

Update: After doing that I open to a the forums list just fine, but it crashes when I hit the bookmarks button. I'll try again.

Edit: I forgot reinstalling it turns thread tags back on again... we're good, but the logout is still an issue I guess.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 3, 2013

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Testing pic posting AND sidebar lock!

Edit: definitely can't logout without crashing and falling into The Void but why would I ever log out?!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Test pic!

Posted directly from iPad rear camera.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

pseudonordic posted:

Test pic!

Datsabunny :3:

I feel better now.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
The forums redesign doesn't add a REST API that apps can use (with OAuth of course), does it?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Oh so the potential for Awful to make my catte pic post rate increase to exponential levels is increasing..

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
iPhone rear camera test!

Edit: yesssssssssss

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

pseudonordic posted:

Test pic!

That is one cute bunny. :3:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

eschaton posted:

The forums redesign doesn't add a REST API that apps can use (with OAuth of course), does it?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Let's try and break this poo poo.

Edit: well there were supposed to be five pictures here.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I guess you broke it then

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Diabolik900 posted:

You might be able to do it with jailbreaking, but I'm not sure. Without jailbreaking you can pay $99 to join the Apple development program and build the app from the source.

Does it have to be built for my phone or can anyone with the program build it and send me a file I can install via iTunes? If the latter, anyone fancy sending me the file? And a basic how to install? Masonity@gmail.com

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Diabolik900 posted:

Let's try and break this poo poo.

Edit: well there were supposed to be five pictures here.

I've never gotten more than 1 picture to upload at a time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What are the chances that the page formatting or parsing instructions or whatever could built into a text file or xml or something that could be updated manually via iTunes file sharing (like default.css can)? People could download the latest version of that config file when the forums change instead having to wait two weeks for Apple to approve a tiny change like this. Though maybe implementing that is more bother than it is worth unless the forums layout is going to be changing once a week or something.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

You know, that's a really good idea. I had thought of a similar idea awhile ago and didn't pursue it for reasons that escape me right now. It would have fixed the parsing problems with the new design, no question.

Just watch, the day I implement it is the day that the documented API comes out spitting JSON all over the place.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

For anyone following along on github, the fix-parsing branch is version 1.9.2 (no longer tagged as 1.9.2, will re-tag when I resubmit), while master is the in-development 1.10. Both now have fixes for the thread tag parsing and crash bugs, and should be as usable as this app ever was.

I'ma pull the old 1.9.2 update and replace it with this one because it doesn't crash when reloading a thread list.

I can't wait to find the next goodies in my poo poo code as the staged Forums design rollout continues tomorrow!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Amongst all the complaining about Awful not working, I think I found a bug. It might or might not be related to the new forums, but I'm unable to gain access to SAMart, Awful simply shuts down. I can't access it from bookmarks or the actual list of forums.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Amongst all the complaining about Awful not working, I think I found a bug. It might or might not be related to the new forums, but I'm unable to gain access to SAMart, Awful simply shuts down. I can't access it from bookmarks or the actual list of forums.

Do other forums work?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Here's an idea to prevent a similar future flood of identical bug reports: Could you add a special case for this thread in the app, so that it looks for a particular string in the first post (like the warning you have enclosed in :siren: smilies) and pops up an alert / announces it in some way when you open this thread? Then there's absolutely no way anybody could fail to know if you're already aware of some app-breaking bug.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

TACD posted:

Here's an idea to prevent a similar future flood of identical bug reports: Could you add a special case for this thread in the app, so that it looks for a particular string in the first post (like the warning you have enclosed in :siren: smilies) and pops up an alert / announces it in some way when you open this thread? Then there's absolutely no way anybody could fail to know if you're already aware of some app-breaking bug.
It wouldn't even need to parse this thread for it, as long as there's a simple text file uploaded somewhere that it can check for a warning if one exists.
e.g. if the text file says:
code:
Then no announcements come up. But if it says anything other than 0, e.g.:
code:
WE'RE ALL loving DOOMED!
Then it'll appear as a popup, or at least a button will light up saying that there's an announcement.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, that's a pretty good idea. There needs to be a way to notify users about these kind of issues while we wait for Apple to approve an update.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Do other forums work?

I'm getting the same thing. First it was only D&D then randomly started with GBS and YLLS as well.

Edit: VVVV That fixed it.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 3, 2013

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

SaltLick posted:

I'm getting the same thing. First it was only D&D then randomly started with GBS and YLLS as well.

Do you have thread tags turned on in your app options? If you do, turn them off since they're causing issues now. I'm not sure if the issue you're talking about is the same one, but I haven't been able to reproduce it in the latest test build.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

In testing the new 1.9.2, everything seems to be working except logging out. I get a crash at logout, but then it stays logged out and lets me log in when I re-launch. I don't know how to use system console but I think this was the log:

quote:

2013-01-03 16:11:14 +0000 backboardd Application 'UIKitApplication:com.awfulapp.Awful[0xd270]' exited abnormally with signal 9: Killed: 9
2013-01-03 16:18:41 +0000 Awful *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[AwfulTabBarController setSelectedIndex:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x20033110'
*** First throw call stack:
(0x3b9462a3 0x3583597f 0x3b949e07 0x3b948531 0x3b89ff68 0x88eff 0x34b8ed45 0x34b1369f 0x34b13479 0x34a8dab3 0x34b028cf 0x38361bd9 0x39c384b7 0x39c3d1bd 0x3b919f3b 0x3b88cebd 0x3b88cd49 0x39c5a2eb 0x34acc2f9 0x8c647 0x87520)
2013-01-03 16:18:41 +0000 Awful -[AwfulTabBarController setSelectedIndex:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x20033110
2013-01-03 16:18:42 +0000 backboardd Application 'UIKitApplication:com.awfulapp.Awful[0x146]' exited abnormally with signal 6: Abort trap: 6

I don't even know if that's anything.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Does picture uploading work in 1.9.2? Let's see

I got the crash again logging out, so it wasn't a one time thing.

myron cope fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 3, 2013

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
So for those of us testing, is there a preferred way of reporting bugs?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

pokeyman posted:

Do other forums work?

They sure do. Posting from Awful right now actually.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Tarq posted:

So for those of us testing, is there a preferred way of reporting bugs?

I think we can email back in the TestFlight emails, but I've just been reporting here.

pokeyman posted:

As far as I'm concerned, if we can talk in this thread about features in upcoming versions, we can talk about bugs in upcoming versions.

I don't know if there's a place on github where stuff is talked about though.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is it just me or are all threads coming up as page one of one?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

AAWHHAHHHAHAHHASHDHASDH NEVER ENDING NIGHTMARE!

(Sorry Bob NewSCART, please load the thread in safari to see what is happening though.)

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
I'm experiencing a bug on iOS 6.0.2 on my iPhone 5. Whenever I go to the bookmarks tab, nothing loads. If I set the app to open to bookmarks, it tries to open the crashes.

I've tried restarting the phone as well as reinstalling the app. Help! :( I'm lost without my mobile SA.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Dragyn posted:

I'm experiencing a bug on iOS 6.0.2 on my iPhone 5. Whenever I go to the bookmarks tab, nothing loads. If I set the app to open to bookmarks, it tries to open the crashes.

I've tried restarting the phone as well as reinstalling the app. Help! :( I'm lost without my mobile SA.
As others have said, try turning off thread icons under settings. I can't use Awful at all with thread tags on, but it works okay with them off (aside from the lumping threads into one page thing that has been posted about 700,000 times already). I have iOS 6.0.1 though.

Also, thanks very much to y'all coders who make and update this app.

Edit: Make that 700,001 times.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 3, 2013

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Sorry if this has been already reported, but on of the problems is that, for me, the app only shows the last page of threads. The exception is for the threads I've read, where it'll give me the first page of unread posts, then stop. The bottom of the page will always read "Page 1 of 1" and will nor load post from earlier in the thread.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Zugzwang posted:

As others have said, try turning off thread icons under settings. I can't use Awful at all with thread tags on, but it works okay with them off (aside from the lumping threads into one page thing that has been posted about 700,000 times already). I have iOS 6.0.1 though.

Also, thanks very much to y'all coders who make and update this app.

Edit: Make that 700,001 times.

That works, but it may be of note that I did have it working before with thread tags on.

Maybe it's a specific thread tag that causes a problem?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Petition to lock the thread until the update is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The android app thread must be laughing at us and our misery.

• Locked thread