Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009

Freudian posted:

No, like:

vs:

compare with:

Nah, dude, you're just being paranoid there. There has been pixelly art since page one.

In other news, there is no :stonk: big enough for this update. And Gamzee looks like he has seen the face of God himself... I guess because he just realised that he literally has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Graceful Graveler posted:

Nah, dude, you're just being paranoid there. There has been pixelly art since page one.

Not in Hero Mode, though. Only when people are being rendered in a symbolic manner.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
Hmm, this turn of events gives this page and the subsequent chucklevooding a whole new context...

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Freudian posted:

Not in Hero Mode, though. Only when people are being rendered in a symbolic manner.

This isn't really Hero Mode, the proportions are too stubby. It looks a lot like the stuff from earlier acts, though.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

YggiDee posted:

This isn't really Hero Mode, the proportions are too stubby. It looks a lot like the stuff from earlier acts, though.

It's always good to go back and reread or skim the early acts because by this point we've totally forgotten that treasures like this exist.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rooreelooo posted:

Hmm, this turn of events gives this page and the subsequent chucklevooding a whole new context...

I have read this entire comic three times. How is it I never noticed Gamzee's pupil in that panel? :psyduck:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Prison Warden posted:

I have read this entire comic three times. How is it I never noticed Gamzee's pupil in that panel? :psyduck:

You saw it. You noticed it.

But your mind was not ready. Yet.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
So, Gamzee had a god-tier Bard of Rage costume (though no wings) during the trolls' session.

Much later, we see him gathering the pieces of that same costume from the dreambubbles, with Kurloz's help. This time, he straps on fake wings.

...what does it all mean?

(I mean, did he go god-tier and then assemble a fake god-tier costume later, for some unfathomable clownish reason...?)

(gently caress)

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
This isn't the trolls' session, it's the B2 session. You can tell by CD's magnificently rumpled head object.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It's starting to become clear how Doc Scratch became the host of Lord English.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

This isn't the trolls' session, it's the B2 session. You can tell by CD's magnificently rumpled head object.

That's what I thought, but then, the only way for the Courtyard Droll to get a Felt-clad Lil Cal in session B2 would be to receive the one that Gamzee already had. It's clear there are more undiscovered turns in the timeline.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Bongo Bill posted:

That's what I thought, but then, the only way for the Courtyard Droll to get a Felt-clad Lil Cal in session B2 would be to receive the one that Gamzee already had. It's clear there are more undiscovered turns in the timeline.

Dirk had two Lil Cal's, one in his apartment that fell into the sea and one in his Derse bedroom. We don't know how either got there.

The big rumplehat is meant to be a clear indication that this is B2. It also couldn't be the troll's Derse because Gamzee didn't get his scars until Derse had been destoyed and they didn't heal up until they'd left that session behind completely.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Bongo Bill posted:

But Gamzee is right there.

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008
This also explains why Dirk and Bro were the ones who wound up having Cal.

AlphaTM
Aug 11, 2010

team overhead smash posted:

Dirk had two Lil Cal's, one in his apartment that fell into the sea and one in his Derse bedroom. We don't know how either got there.

The one in his apartment was in Derse jammies, and baby Bro was carrying a Cal in Derse jammies with him through the meteor portal. So, both Bro and Dirk arrived on Earth with Cal in tow.

Presumably the Dream Cal is like Dave's Dream Cal: a physical manifestation of something in his actual room.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

PleasingFungus posted:

(I mean, did he go god-tier and then assemble a fake god-tier costume later, for some unfathomable clownish reason...?)

(gently caress)

Wouldn't this be a bit like wearing two hats? Appearing to be a queen while not making any moves a king couldn't make, while actually being a queen the entire time.

Why would anyone do that? :psyduck:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

AlphaTM posted:

Presumably the Dream Cal is like Dave's Dream Cal: a physical manifestation of something in his actual room.

Except that dream Lil' Cal looped around to become the real Lil' Cal.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Clowns, man. Fuckin' clowns.

AlphaTM
Aug 11, 2010
Exactly. Real Lil' Cal inspired a fear of puppets in Dave, one that Gamzee chucklevoodoo'd to create the Dream Lil' Cal. Dirk thinks puppets are hella cool, though, so he'd have no problem with a Dream Cal. The things in the dream rooms are created because they exist in the actual rooms, but they're as real as real can get.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Caliborn looks so creepydorable leering at that evil, evil puppet.
He's just so gay.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Those soulless eyes are starting to creep me out for real. Imagine if Cal could speak. :gonk:

Though I like that he has become the new Con Air bunny.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Caliborn, indeed.

I can't wait until we can eventually see Cal's entire journey. Or the journey of "Live" Cal. Coincidentally I actually managed to keep good track of some of Homestuck's other time travelers, but Cal's journey is the one I usually have to look up forgotten details on.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Though I like that he has become the new Con Air bunny.

Except instead of going from plush toy to heroic little robot warrior, he goes from puppet to the evil laser-breathing Incredible Skullk.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Right, yeah, okay, I'd somehow missed that implication. (Also the scars.) I blame puppet-induced panic.

So... this isn't Gamzee's first encounter with Lil' Cal's hidden malevolence, it's a Lil' Cal that he's had for a while, that's whispered to him and urged him to kill... and even he is shocked and horrified when it winks.

That makes sense!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Wouldn't this be a bit like wearing two hats? Appearing to be a queen while not making any moves a king couldn't make, while actually being a queen the entire time.

That was the thought, but blessedly I was wrong enough that we don't need to tread down that dark, double-clown-god-strewn path.

So to my understanding, the 'current' Lil' Cal situation in B2 is:

(1) One fallen into the ocean, which will later end up in Caliborn's hands.

(2) One last seen in Dirk's tower on Derse's moon; possibly destroyed by DD's Red Miles. (But probably not.)

(3) One carried by a preposterously roundabout route from B1 to A2 to B2; currently alive and winking at our favorite murderclown.

Does this sound closer to right?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm just confused because this is so close to what I was speculating would happen a couple of pages ago, that Gamzee would get some Derse pajamas for green felt Cal and drop him off in Dirk's bedroom. But CD shouldn't have a rumpled hat yet for that to have happened! I guess he could jump back in time again though.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

PleasingFungus posted:

So to my understanding, the 'current' Lil' Cal situation in B2 is:

(1) One fallen into the ocean, which will later end up in Caliborn's hands.

(2) One last seen in Dirk's tower on Derse's moon; possibly destroyed by DD's Red Miles. (But probably not.)

(3) One carried by a preposterously roundabout route from B1 to A2 to B2; currently alive and winking at our favorite murderclown.

Does this sound closer to right?

Yes. What remains to be seen is how these link up - the stuff about juju uniqueness combined with the fact that only one of the two Cals formerly in the possession of the two real-Dirks is "empty" suggests that either only one of them is actually the one that came from Dave's dream tower and was sent back with baby Dirk (and the other came from elsewhere and elsewhen) or that only one of them inherited the full juju realness attribute. Which one of these it is would depend on whether the one in Dave's dream tower had that attribute, and on exactly what it is that Gamzee's chucklevoodoos actually accomplished. (Creating the original "empty" Cal, or summoning the "full" Cal, or nothing and either sort of Cal attained existence regardless.)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So basically, this:

Eiba posted:

I'd rather that the empty Cal and the full Cal are one and the same, the empty one just has yet to be filled. Once it is, it'll somehow find its way back into being the full Cal of the original timeline.

Full of Lord English. Propagating him through all realities in its circuitous non-linear temporal existence.

(I thought it was pretty straightforward, but everyone seemed to be talking about bifurcated fake Cal versions and poo poo like that, so I'm going to gloat a little for having called it.)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
And let's not forget, Doc Scratch had Lord English inside of him.

What was Doc Scratch made from?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

President Ark posted:

And let's not forget, Doc Scratch had Lord English inside of him.

What was Doc Scratch made from?

Exactly. His seed wasn't the cueball...

Kooky Koosy
Jan 4, 2013

by T. Mascis

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Kooky Koosy
Jan 4, 2013

by T. Mascis
The Homestuck books have author commentary, they tell me yesterday. This is like finding out you can order a special edition of the bible with footnotes by God. I hope he actually remembers his own thoughts from the early parts of Homestuck. He had so much omniscient schizoid intensity that it'd be a tingly blur to anyone else.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

... wait a second, this isn't the fanart thread!

I have been horribly deceived!

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Why would Aradia want pizza?

I know that is not the only thing wrong with that picture, but, you know; baby steps.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I think it's Damara. It makes more sense that way.
Also: missing Taco Bell.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Caliborn is Sauron and Lil Cal is his One Ring. It's beautiful.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

HappyKitty posted:

It's not like the pillow is going to get "less" greasy any time soon. May as well go the whole hog.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Nothing like a good change of topic.

That said, I'm not sure that really was a good change of topic.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

HappyKitty posted:

I know that is not the only thing wrong with that picture, but, you know; baby steps.

In certain circles, there is fancanon that God Tier Aradia wants to re-experience the sensations of living so she eats herself sick.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
This stuff all seems like it should be very important but somehow I'm finding it hard to care. Bring on the beta kids already.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Don't do it Koos! You'll ruin it!

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Kooky Koosy posted:

The Homestuck books have author commentary, they tell me yesterday. This is like finding out you can order a special edition of the bible with footnotes by God. I hope he actually remembers his own thoughts from the early parts of Homestuck. He had so much omniscient schizoid intensity that it'd be a tingly blur to anyone else.

Dammit, the post above led me to misread that as "The Homestuck boobs have author commentary..." :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
That is some nasty-looking pizza.