Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm nearly done with season 2, and there is a definite pattern of plots. Almost every episode is imposter Avengers, teaming up with villains, or a new character seems bad but then is good.

What about the one character who seems good but then is bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Assumed imposter.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well finished EMH Season 2, overall it was pretty good and reminded me why I like Hank Pym so much (except when Dan Slott is writing him).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Rhyno posted:

Well finished EMH Season 2, overall it was pretty good and reminded me why I like Hank Pym so much (except when Dan Slott is writing him).

I feel like Pym was really rushed through his character development in season 2.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I'm working my way through season 2 on Netflix and I just watched the one where Wasp punches out the skrull Pym and was all, "That felt great!" :laffo:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
No, the funniest part of season two happens in the episode where the guy steals Ant Man's costume. At one point, Pym is describing what happens when you activate the suit. At the exact moment he explains that you keep the strength and speed of your full-sized self, the guy wearing Ant Man's suit throws an ant with a grunt of effort. He might possibly be the weakest person in the Marvel universe.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Professor Wayne posted:

No, the funniest part of season two happens in the episode where the guy steals Ant Man's costume. At one point, Pym is describing what happens when you activate the suit. At the exact moment he explains that you keep the strength and speed of your full-sized self, the guy wearing Ant Man's suit throws an ant with a grunt of effort. He might possibly be the weakest person in the Marvel universe.

Wouldn't this mean that anyone in Giant man form would be fantastically weak relative to their size?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ToastyPotato posted:

Wouldn't this mean that anyone in Giant man form would be fantastically weak relative to their size?

He only stays the same or gets better, never worse. When he shrinks he keeps his human-level attributes, but when he grows his strength increases in proportion to his mass.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Watching Under the Red Hood again.

I was really sleeping on Dimaggio the first time around, guy makes a GREAT Joker.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

E the Shaggy posted:

I was really sleeping on Dimaggio the first time around, guy makes a GREAT Joker.

I liked him too. He was smart not to try and ape Hamill and a more brutal Joker fit the tone of the story better. It came off as kinda of halfway between Nicholson and Ledger.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

I just watched it again with a friend who saw it for the first time. I definitely feel like I underrated his Joker. I think the first viewing some of us are just kind of off put at hearing a different animated Joker voice or something. After you shake it, you realize he does an amazing job.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Have they released season or half season volumes of Young Justice yet? I'd like to buy it but last time I checked it was only lovely 3 episode discs for $10

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained

wildlele posted:

Have they released season or half season volumes of Young Justice yet? I'd like to buy it but last time I checked it was only lovely 3 episode discs for $10

It's a weird setup. Season 1 is out, and the first half of Season 2 is coming in January.

The individual 3 discs that cover the first part of season 1. Now they're sold in one box containing all 3 discs, which is 12 episodes.

From then on, it's half-season sets.

Season 1 Part 2 ("Dangerous Secrets" 14 eps)

Season 2 Part 1 ("Destiny Calling" 10 eps)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I finally got around to watching Planet Hulk and it was incredibly not good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I finally got around to watching Planet Hulk and it was incredibly not good.

I've never really been too happy with any cartoon adaptations of comics. Like, I watched All Star Superman the other day and while it was mostly good the inclusion of Bar-El and Lilo seemed completely pointless.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

E the Shaggy posted:

Yeah, once you adjust to something other than Hamill coming out of The Joker's mouth, you realize he does a really great job. His laugh ranged from dark and husky to manic abandon. I loved his take on it.

It'll be interesting to see how Michael Emerson handles Frank Miller's quasi-effeminate Joker in The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2.

I still maintain that the best direct-to-DVD DC release is Year One, but I really hope they keep the gravy train rolling and eventually give us The Killing Joke or The Long Halloween.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I still maintain that the best direct-to-DVD DC release is Year One, but I really hope they keep the gravy train rolling and eventually give us The Killing Joke or The Long Halloween.
I finally watched Year One last night and it was another just-alright DC adaptation. It never threatened to do anything new or interesting, and it often chose to go with a less arresting image compared to what Mazzucchelli came up with a million years ago (i.e., Gordon calmly sitting in the car waiting for Flass vs. Gordon clenching the bat above the steering wheel). And it also cemented the fact that Holly yelling "SUH-LEEEEN-A!" is the most annoying thing possible.

edit: and it shamefully removed the "Father, I shall become a bat." line from Bruce's monologue.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Oh my gosh the new Amethyst and Thunder and Lightning DC nation shorts look adoooorrrrable

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Wow, that Amethyst animation is gorgeous. And criminally adorable.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Okay, I so dig Thunder and Lightning. That was awesome. Amethyst seems a bit anime to me, but it still looks really good. Just about all the shorts they do with DC Nation have been REALLY fun.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
It's nice to see that Anissa and Jenn exist somewhere. Also, she's texting Grace Choi! DC Nation is like the best, most adorable antidote to the stupid changes of the New 52.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
For some reason I just can't look at Black Lighting without hearing Phil Lamar's voice, also is that the only voice Cree Summers can do?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

achillesforever6 posted:

also is that the only voice Cree Summers can do?

She can also do "slightly older sultry sounding". And if she tweaks it a little, she gets "slightly younger, squeaky chipmunk".

but yeah, it's pretty much those three.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G04xSlqpuFI

Well this is pretty relevant.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Honestly... I was, in some part, expecting today's Young Justice to air with the civilian played by Mae Whitman now having red hair.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Chaltab posted:

Honestly... I was, in some part, expecting today's Young Justice to air with the civilian played by Mae Whitman now having red hair.

That would have been hilarious and infuriating.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

At the start of this week's Green Lantern they showed some stuff from further into this season, including a scene based on this cover

Although with Orange Lantern rings.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

muscles like this? posted:

Does not compute.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Heavy Metal is a comic right? Heavy Metal FAKK 2 counts as comic book animation right?

What a steaming pile of poo poo that was.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

muscles like this? posted:

At the start of this week's Green Lantern they showed some stuff from further into this season, including a scene based on this cover

What did you think of this week's GL? I thought it was pretty cool with the whole steampunk world.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Rhyno posted:

Heavy Metal is a comic right? Heavy Metal FAKK 2 counts as comic book animation right?

What a steaming pile of poo poo that was.
I don't know what to tell you dude. That movie being poo poo has been a well documented fact for a long time.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Chaltab posted:

Wait what? Someone mind explaining this?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

404GoonNotFound posted:

There was a character referencing Stephanie Brown, and DC has a massive hate boner for Stephanie Brown.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 5, 2013

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

To be a bit less vague than TheHan

Stephanie Brown (the blond girl in the purple shirt in today's episode) was Robin Mk.4 and Batgirl Mk.3 Her series (Batgirl Volume 3) was cancelled with the New 52 Relaunch a couple Augusts ago, and Batgirl Mk.1 (Barbara Gordon) returned to the role of Batgirl, and Stephanie has yet to appear in the relaunched continuity. Since then, two separate out-of-continuity digital-first comic books have had written Stephanie into their pages: first, as Nightwing in Smallville, which was inexplicably changed to Barbara Gordon, and second as a single-panel cameo in the Halloween issue of Li'l Gotham, which was altered so that her blond hair became black.

The latter happened right around the same time as Cartoon Network put Young Justice on hiatus, so there was a lot of implausible-yet-infectious speculating that she'd be edited out via hair-color change again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I don't know what to tell you dude. That movie being poo poo has been a well documented fact for a long time.

Somehow I managed to never see it until the other day.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Chaltab posted:

To be a bit less vague than TheHan

Yeah, I know who Stephanie is (reason #8 I hate New 52), I guess I just missed the cameo due to being the first Saturday where I've gotten up before noon in over 3 months :zombie:

Thanks for the extra info though, I heard something about a fuckup in Smallville but that Li'l Gotham bit is news to me. Anyway, back to the show itself, is it just me or was the Amethyst short like HALF the length of Thunder & Lightning? Goddammit DC, let me see more of Game Modder Gets Trapped In The Neverending Story: THE SERIES!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to Superman vs. the Elite; easily the best DC animated feature I've watched so far. Lois was awesome and a half, the animation wasn't bargain-basement, and the opening titles were pretty boss. I also wasn't expecting that many on-screen civilian deaths! Up next: Superman/Shazam!

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00AWTTUHI/comingsoon

Apparently The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2 is available for download as of now, with the physical release still on Jan 29.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Finally got around to Superman vs. the Elite; easily the best DC animated feature I've watched so far. Lois was awesome and a half, the animation wasn't bargain-basement, and the opening titles were pretty boss. I also wasn't expecting that many on-screen civilian deaths! Up next: Superman/Shazam!

I found it to be absolutely terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I found it to be absolutely terrible.
JLU already did a great version of that fight, so no point in reproducing it.

• Locked thread