Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That Wonderswan one is actually fairly interesting. It has some vertical levels where you tilt the console, as that is something the Wonderswan does. I played it on a PSP emulator, was kinda weird but worth one play at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Last Celebration posted:

Mega Man 3's difficulty is pretty weird like that. Easiest final Wily stages ever with something like six E-Tanks to pick up and nothing to use them on since nearly all the bosses are a joke, but the rematches with Mega Man 2's bosses in the same levels you went through before are somehow one of the hardest parts of the classic series, IMO.
MM3 was incredibly rushed. From what I gathered during research for the LP, MM2 already had Inafune on his knees to Capcom in order for it to actually get made; Capcom was really unconvinced of the whole Mega Man thing even though MM1 didn't sell badly (though more so in the states, see box art). So when Inafune insisted that he believed in the concept, they told him he could do it, but only in his free time. MM2 is the first Mega Man fan project.
When that turned out to be an astounding success, Capcom was like hm okay we made money
And then, quite a while later they said "okay we need more money, make another game in three months."

And that is why MM3 was rushed, so that the Wily castle is a joke and turning around is hosed. Capcom was always bad at making decisions, it just wasn't as noticeable when the games still were good.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Simply Simon posted:

MM3 was incredibly rushed. From what I gathered during research for the LP, MM2 already had Inafune on his knees to Capcom in order for it to actually get made; Capcom was really unconvinced of the whole Mega Man thing even though MM1 didn't sell badly (though more so in the states, see box art). So when Inafune insisted that he believed in the concept, they told him he could do it, but only in his free time. MM2 is the first Mega Man fan project.
When that turned out to be an astounding success, Capcom was like hm okay we made money
And then, quite a while later they said "okay we need more money, make another game in three months."

And that is why MM3 was rushed, so that the Wily castle is a joke and turning around is hosed. Capcom was always bad at making decisions, it just wasn't as noticeable when the games still were good.

There's also a lot of unfinished extra sprites and stuff in the code. And it notably has those weird cheats when you use controller 2, probably a debug feature that was left in. Still, in spite of how rushed and thrown together it was, it still remains my favorite Mega Man game.

Petiso posted:

I also can't understand MM1GB's love, its final stage is certainly more bullshit than King Stage 2, to this day, it's still the only main classic game I haven't been able to beat without savestates.

While I haven't been making GBS threads on it much, I certainly haven't seen anyone express any love for GB MMI. MMI and II for GB are two of my least favorite games in the series, and I don't think the Game Boy games are really worth playing all that much until MMIII.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Gammatron 64 posted:

While I haven't been making GBS threads on it much, I certainly haven't seen anyone express any love for GB MMI. MMI and II for GB are two of my least favorite games in the series, and I don't think the Game Boy games are really worth playing all that much until MMIII.

I'll be the one to defend MM1. It was the only cartridge-based Mega Man game I ever managed to acquire (Funcoland and their ilk had stopped carrying them by the time I began to want them,) and though the game was frustratingly hard, I really liked the selection of master weapons you got in the game (pretty much the best weapons of MM1 and MM2,), and the Carry and Mirror Buster were especially fun to mess around with. Plus it had Enker, one of my favorite MM bosses ever, and the Wily Stage music was actually really good, albeit repetitive.

Castomira fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 3, 2013

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Wait, turning around was bad?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Honestly from what I could tell from leafing through an art book, practically every classic Mega Man except 4 had those kinds of issues. Mega Man 5 was done with almost all of the crew from the last four games moving on to new projects, MM6 was just made because they had to do it, and 7 was made in about three months of actual work due to various issues. That last one explains so much and surprises me at the same time, honestly, considering how much cool stuff was still in that game despite its obvious issues.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

It's interesting to think about how much better those already very solid games could have been from the get-go if they had had always time and money and the trust of their superiours.

Skychrono posted:

Wait, turning around was bad?
It lags just a little, so sometimes you shoot in the wrong direction because shooting does NOT lag, and it can lead to some unfortunate hits. A small thing, but it's definitely there and very noticeable if you buster-duel all the bosses, for example.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I had a silly, probably terrible thought.

After the overhaul he gave Contra, I wonder what would happen if someone gave Daisuke Ishiwatari & ASW a Megaman title to play with.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gearhead posted:

After the overhaul he gave Contra, I wonder what would happen if someone gave Daisuke Ishiwatari & ASW a Megaman title to play with.

For the Classic series? You'd probably just get an X game. For X? God only knows. Whatever would happen, it would be awesome, and I'm pretty sure that is exactly what I would want out of a Megaman game. Uprising was an amazing game, and it was pretty much flat-out the best action platformer I've played in years. I can't believe I got it until it was free on PS+, because that game rocked my face off.

The game escalates pretty effectively, from bike combat in the desert vs giant sandworm robots to jumping from missile to missile heading up an elevator shaft. Goddamn I want more games made by the Hard Corps Uprising crew.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Whoa, I can't believe I'm seeing so much hate for Mega Man & Bass. I played it on an emulator in high school and loved it, though the difficulty near the end ratcheted up to an absurd degree. I can't imagine beating it without save states, but then again, the Mega Man series on a whole isn't exactly known for being easy.

Overall, I thought MM&B was one of the best-looking SNES games I'd played, the music was pretty good, and playing as Bass was awesome. It seemed that the levels were easier to navigate with Bass, especially once you get Treble, while the robot masters were easier to beat with Mega Man (probably because of charged shots). This did create some unnecessary frustration at times.

However, the GBA port was pretty bad, in part because they remixed the music oddly (everything had this weird, growling/crackly bass) and also because they didn't seem to scale it down very well. That's a game that really doesn't need any more cheap/bullshit deaths because you can't see something off-screen.

Oh, and I really liked Mega Man II when I was little, because it was so easy it was the only Mega Man game I could beat without my big brother's help. :3: I also love the heck out of Mega Man 6. Thanks to this thread, I'm now operating under the assumption that every last opinion I have about Mega Man is wrong.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I'm sure many other people have said this, but I kind of want Platinum games to do a 3D Mega Man game that plays kinda like Vanquish. That would be awesome. I see Sam sliding and dashing around and fighting giant robots that spray lots of bullets and I'm like hey, this is basically what Mega Man would be like in 3D and modern.

RumbleFish posted:

I also love the heck out of Mega Man 6. Thanks to this thread, I'm now operating under the assumption that every last opinion I have about Mega Man is wrong.

Nah, Mega Man 6 is pretty cool, at least that opinion isn't wrong.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I'm surprised Capcom never made a fighting game where all the robot masters could fight against one another. It would be the greatest thing ever.

Or even just a completely "boss-rush" MM game (with classic gameplay, not that Power Fighters stuff), where you fight each RM one by one. Weapons optional.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

I'm surprised Capcom never made a fighting game where all the robot masters could fight against one another. It would be the greatest thing ever.

Or even just a completely "boss-rush" MM game (with classic gameplay, not that Power Fighters stuff), where you fight each RM one by one. Weapons optional.

The closest we've gotten is games like The Power Battles. A boss-rush game would be cool in theory.

Gearhead posted:

A hot mess with even more terrible voice acting than Mega Man 8.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I thought Power Battles and Power Fighters were pretty cool. I mean, it was obviously a bit more arcade-style, but it was basically Megaman-type boss battles. Plus you could play as Protoman! I'm not sure how much more of a "Megaman boss rush game" we could hope to get out of Capcom.

At best, maybe a boss-rush gameplay mode as part of a full title, but I can't imagine them making an entire game based only on that. Maybe a mobile device game? It's difficult enough getting ANY Megaman games from Capcom.

EDIT: vvvvvv Oh god, maybe a mobile device game is a bad idea vvvvvv

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 3, 2013

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Boss Rush with the Xover engine :laugh:!

RumbleFish posted:

Oh, and I really liked Mega Man II when I was little, because it was so easy it was the only Mega Man game I could beat without my big brother's help. :3: I also love the heck out of Mega Man 6. Thanks to this thread, I'm now operating under the assumption that every last opinion I have about Mega Man is wrong.
Eh, I think there are no wrong opinion, just badly supported ones. Your reasons are perfectly valid.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

StevenM posted:

A hot mess with even more terrible voice acting than Mega Man 8.

Hard Corps Uprising, Persona 4 Arena, and BlazBlue says you are the wrongest goon on all accounts. They would make the hardest and busiest Mega Man game ever, and they might even spend money on actual talent for the voice work. The story would be non-sensical and just be an excuse to have the protagonists working together to beat Sigma, and that would be all it needs.

And it would be co-op.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

Hard Corps Uprising, Persona 4 Arena, and BlazBlue says you are the wrongest goon on all accounts. They would make the hardest and busiest Mega Man game ever, and they might even spend money on actual talent for the voice work. The story would be non-sensical and just be an excuse to have the protagonists working together to beat Sigma, and that would be all it needs.

And it would be co-op.

And it would be awesome. :allears:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

fivegears4reverse posted:

And it would be co-op.

Something I forgot to mention in my earlier gushing about Hard Corps Uprising was the music. Goddamn did the music own. But then again, putting Daisuke Ishiwatari behind any soundtrack is pretty much a guaranteed success, but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVxpC86zaMk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QvTio8aQhU

Really, giving control of the series to ASW would be the best possible outcome, but it'd never happen, sadly.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
A co-op XBL/PSN Megaman game would be the most amazing goddamn thing if the Uprising crew did it. :allears:

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Gearhead posted:

A co-op XBL/PSN Megaman game would be the most amazing goddamn thing if the Uprising crew did it. :allears:

Gonna have to echo this entirely. I would love them to make a SNES styled X9 like X1 and after that do an X10 that has all new high res graphics like Hard Corps Uprising and co-op. I couldn't really see the classic series nearly working as well for a co-op action game which is why I say X10.

Similarly, I played the Skull Girls demo last night and while I have very mixed feelings on the game as a whole *cough*objectification*cough* the design work is gorgeous. If a MegaMan X....hell any MegaMan game were made with the same graphical quality, holy balls, we could have our next gen MegaMan.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oooh Mega Man X coop... Add New Super Mario Bros Wii style player collision and you could have players wall jumping off each other up to infinity! If they time it well enough of course. Or maybe only one player could wall jump off another, the wall jumpee would have to just fall, to balance it.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

They should just go and make an MMO where players can design and play as their own robot masters (or animal reploids). Lights vs Wilies (or Hunters versus Mavericks)!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

More like vs Willies if you make the RM creator too open-ended.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Also chiming in on the previous topic of the GameBoy MegaMans: I'm playing through them all now in order and so far I've beaten I and II.

MMI is very noteably outdated, but it works as a solid game, especially for an early GameBoy title. Certain things about the game can be pretty hard (Cutman's staaaaage! :argh:) but overall I found it a good game. I actually kinda like Elecman's stage music a little bit more than the NES music in some regards.

MMII is.....jesus christ. It's a MegaMan game without polish, in any way. They don't even put the text "Ready" before a stage! The screen doesn't transition between boss doors! Dr. Wily is hilariously small! Like, what is this poo poo?! Thankfully the silver lining of this crap fest was it's also without question the easiest MegaMan game I've ever played. I beat the entire game on one 30 minute train ride, never dying to a single robot master. So, thank god that's over.

I've only ever beaten V (which was great of course) in ROM format and I've never beaten III or IV but what I have played I enjoyed a lot, so looking forward to the rest.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 4, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

One thing that's really weird about GB MMII is that a lot of the sprites are different and have been entirely redone. All the robot masters have brand new sprites, Mega Man's slide and teleport animations have new sprites, Rush looks different, etc. And almost all the new sprites look worse than the NES versions that had already been made to boot. It's really quite weird. Its like the developers didn't have access to any resources from NES MM2 and 3, and only had GB MMI to draw on.

Mega Man also doesn't pause when hitting a pickup, the screen doesn't transition right when moving through boss doors, and in general the game feels very "off" and wrong. And lazy and unfinished. It kind of feels like a Chinese bootleg Mega Man, except no, it's the real thing.

Not to mention that the game's music will make your ears bleed.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

One thing that's really weird about GB MMII is that a lot of the sprites are different and have been entirely redone. All the robot masters have brand new sprites, Mega Man's slide and teleport animations have new sprites, Rush looks different, etc. And almost all the new sprites look worse than the NES versions that had already been made to boot. It's really quite weird. Its like the developers didn't have access to any resources from NES MM2 and 3, and only had GB MMI to draw on.

Mega Man also doesn't pause when hitting a pickup, the screen doesn't transition right when moving through boss doors, and in general the game feels very "off" and wrong. And lazy and unfinished. It kind of feels like a Chinese bootleg Mega Man, except no, it's the real thing.

Not to mention that the game's music will make your ears bleed.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the music. Even asides the fact it's awful, they seem like all new tunes, yet not one sticks out in my mind. (thankfully)

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
MMII was my first GB Mega Man. I liked it because it was kinda short and really easy. It's like the Mega Man you play to relax. Also, it has my favorite robot master, Magnet Man. Which reminds me: I remember somebody interviewing Inafune (I think) saying Magnet Man was their favorite, and he was like "What? Why would he be your favorite?"

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

MMIII and IV are my favorites of the Game Boy series -- partially for the nostalgia value, mostly because I still think they both kick rear end. IV, in particular, is very polished and actually has a semblance of a plot. V is great, especially with its twist on the formula, but I couldn't track the drat thing down until I was a sophomore or junior in college. I still remember staring wistfully at it in a Wal-Mart case with my brother and then being completely unable to find it after we'd finally saved the money. I'm probably a little less impressed with it than most people because I had to wait so many years to play it, and there was no way the hype would match those expectations. Nonetheless, you'll have to pry that cartridge out of my cold, dead hands.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
People always say MM&B was obviously designed only with Bass in mind, but this really doesn't seem that way to me. I've played that game so much, and the experience is always superior with Mega Man. He has a more powerful gun that can shoot through walls, and that by far makes up for dashing and double jumping, and is the superior option to use in my opinion. Double jumping is really more of an albatross in that game that just makes you careless and makes you take more damage. Bass sucks at dodging because of his taller profile and inability to slide.

I've also played the Wondeswan one three or four times, and it is ridiculously easy if you use Mega Man. Watching someone always default pick Bass and proceed to die constantly is hilarious.

greatn fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 4, 2013

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
I don't understand the hatred for MMII. It's only crimes, in my opinion, are being too easy and having a lame original boss in Quint.

I liked the music, BTW.

BTW, since no one has mentioned it, isn't Bass' buster incapable of doing more than one pip of damage at a time to bosses? I remember fighting Cold Man to be intolerably tedious.

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 4, 2013

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

No one explicitly mentioned it, but it has been said that MM is generally better at fighting bosses, and that's one of the reasons why. I seem to remember one of the upgrades allowing his buster to do 2 points of damage, though. And yes, Cold Man took ages to kill as Bass, since he's one of those obnoxious heroes that's invulnerable 80% of the fight. Cold Man is nothing though, versus those goddamn ball thrower guys, especially when they hide behind walls. I think playing as MM is pretty attractive when facing those guys as Bass.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 4, 2013

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

greatn posted:

People always say MM&B was obviously designed only with Bass in mind, but this really doesn't seem that way to me. I've played that game so much, and the experience is always superior with Mega Man. He has a more powerful gun that can shoot through walls, and that by far makes up for dashing and double jumping, and is the superior option to use in my opinion. Double jumping is really more of an albatross in that game that just makes you careless and makes you take more damage. Bass sucks at dodging because of his taller profile and inability to slide.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this. I couldn't beat more than a couple robot masters as Bass when I tried the GBA version....geez, almost a decade ago? I breezed through the game as Mega Man without a whole lot of trouble. Seeing everyone post about how superior Bass was made me wonder if I was completely misremembering things.

I have always and will always hate MMI GB. gently caress those toothpaste-dispenser worm-vomiting things, gently caress them to death.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Bass doesn't have a slide but doesn't his dash make up for it?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Bass doesn't have a slide but doesn't his dash make up for it?

His dash doesn't make up for the fact that he can't shoot while moving or that his gun is a worthless pea shooter. Bass is far more maneuverable on the whole except when it comes to shooting....which is kind of important in Mega Man games.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I enjoyed Rockman and Forte when I played through it. I never really thought that most people thought it was poo poo. But then again, I never thought that people felt like X3 was poo poo either.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

His dash doesn't make up for the fact that he can't shoot while moving or that his gun is a worthless pea shooter. Bass is far more maneuverable on the whole except when it comes to shooting....which is kind of important in Mega Man games.

Bass's buster moves in eight directions though, which combined with rapid fire generally trivializes most generic fodder enemies, and even the one boss he has to buster duel is made a lot easier with double jumping and a aimable buster. You can't move with the Metal Blade but that doesn't stop it from being pretty much the best Mega Man weapon ever.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

If you had to hit things with Metal Blade ten times to kill them it probably wouldn't have as great a reputation.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

If you had to hit things with Metal Blade ten times to kill them it probably wouldn't have as great a reputation.

Ten hits with the Bass buster is like one second though? Not sure what your point is.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Ten hits with the Bass buster is like one second though? Not sure what your point is.

That's one second where you're completely stationary, though, as opposed to Mega Man who runs across the screen without stopping because a single charge shot takes care of entire swaths of enemies at once. It's annoying and screws with the flow of the game.

Plus Bass is like Robot Mickey Mouse for some reason, and that's lame as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
There are some bits in King's Fortress that are much easier as Bass and there are a couple of enemy placements that make it a joke for Bass. Plus I think there are some jumps where Mega Man absolutely needs Ice Wall to proceed.