Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

SaltLick posted:

The android app thread must be laughing at us and our misery.

Do Android updates go up automatically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They can install .apk files without going through Google Play.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When the new style went live I saw some android users bitching that their Awful reader hadn't been updated since May, so maybe they're still wallowing in the mud like we are.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

When the new style went live I saw some android users bitching that their Awful reader hadn't been updated since May, so maybe they're still wallowing in the mud like we are.

No, they must have been using the wrong app. There's an old app (Awful) and a new app (Awful Betamax) on Android, similar to what happened here with the iOS app. Betamax has gotten updates pretty consistently but I don't think everyone was aware of the switchover. It doesn't seem like the forum changes hosed up their app as bad as ours, plus they can get updates out much quicker since you can sideload apps and because Google doesn't review apps like Apple does.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

xzzy posted:

The android one has been completely fixed since yesterday, and on the play store. There was a sideload method a few days ago.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

More bragging testing! :science:

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My iPad is rooted, where may I find this test version so I can have the awesomeness?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Cryptic Edge posted:

My iPad is rooted, where may I find this test version so I can have the awesomeness?

If you have Xcode you can check the code out of GitHub, see the OP.

I don't know how to compile a bundle for use on a rooted device, so I can't be of much help there, sorry.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Are more beta testers needed right now? I've got a 4th gen iPad and a 5th gen iPod touch I can test on.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Cryptic Edge posted:

You mean jailbroken?

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pokeyman posted:

If you have Xcode you can check the code out of GitHub, see the OP.

I don't know how to compile a bundle for use on a rooted device, so I can't be of much help there, sorry.

Is there a compiler that works for packaging it up within windows? If so I can get the compiled package easily on the iPad.

pseudonordic posted:

You mean jailbroken?

Same thing IMO, but yes. I have root access, therefor it's rooted to me.

Edit: if someone with a precompiled package posts it, I can use it too. Once the device is rooted/jail broken its cake to put a package on there. My difficulty is getting the compiled package I need for awful awesomeness.

Edit 2: It also doesn't take a special package for the rooted device, the same package your using is fine. Basically those of us with our rooted devices need to dump the ipa in the mobile applications folder of itunes then sync the device. Once we do that, it'll upload it and work. This works for sideloading, loading out of date versions that worked better or :filez: if your into that.

Cryptic Edge fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 4, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

In addition to the various scripting issues everyone brought up, I can also see beecocked posts in FYAD (they come up as new posts when I refresh a thread); is that something that's fixed in the update or is it a separate scripting issue?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Maybe a dumb question, but isn't there a way to share a signed app you can distribute on a website? I don't mean through testflight either.

My company uses some 3rd party developer for iOS apps and they have always distributed them through a web page. I go to it and hit the link for the staging or production release and it installs fine on a device without jailbreak.

Maybe there is a developer account that costs extra or some other way they get access to do that, cause Testflight isn't an apple thing but you can go through them to install without the app store.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

JHVH-1 posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but isn't there a way to share a signed app you can distribute on a website? I don't mean through testflight either.

My company uses some 3rd party developer for iOS apps and they have always distributed them through a web page. I go to it and hit the link for the staging or production release and it installs fine on a device without jailbreak.

Maybe there is a developer account that costs extra or some other way they get access to do that, cause Testflight isn't an apple thing but you can go through them to install without the app store.

You can, and easily, but you have to register the UUID of the device you're testing with the developer account doing the distribution, and you're limited to 100 UUIDs per developer account, and the number doesn't necessarily increase if you remove a device from your account. It's not difficult, but it's blatantly meant for internal QA, as opposed to widespread distribution.

I've set up an iOS QA site for my company and it's really easy to push changes, but a pain in the rear end dealing with documenting what devices are still live, not to mention the provisioning profiles that expire yearly have to be reinstalled on every device.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 4, 2013

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I was part of a large N**flix pilot - I just had to visit a web link on my phone, and tap a link to install the app.

The format of the link was:

itms-services://?action=download-manifest&url=http://xxxxxxxxx.com/xx/x.plist

The provisioning profile expired after a couple of months.

I didn't have to give any UUID or anything. I installed on both my phone and iPad.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I was part of a large N**flix pilot - I just had to visit a web link on my phone, and tap a link to install the app.

The format of the link was:

itms-services://?action=download-manifest&url=http://xxxxxxxxx.com/xx/x.plist

The provisioning profile expired after a couple of months.

I didn't have to give any UUID or anything. I installed on both my phone and iPad.

Just checked and this is exactly how our project is doing it.

At first they locked it down by UUID, and now it requires the same entry code as our beta site.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

JHVH-1 posted:

Just checked and this is exactly how our project is doing it.

At first they locked it down by UUID, and now it requires the same entry code as our beta site.

There's the regular $99/year developer account that allows you to list 100 device IDs on your profile and build apps that will deploy to those devices. As you mention these can be hosted on a web server and linked directly to allow the devices to install the app automatically. There's also an enterprise developer account at $299/year, which similarly has the 100 device limit for debugging/testing, but grants you a certificate to sign apps which can then (on a technical level) be installed on any device in the world. Legally there are pretty major sanctions to prevent you from using this as an unofficial distribution method, and the apps should only be installed on devices belonging to your organisation/employees. This method still has the provisioning profile issue where they expire every year.

Cryptic Edge posted:

It also doesn't take a special package for the rooted device, the same package your using is fine. Basically those of us with our rooted devices need to dump the ipa in the mobile applications folder of itunes then sync the device. Once we do that, it'll upload it and work. This works for sideloading, loading out of date versions that worked better or :filez: if your into that.

Developers don't need to create an IPA file to install on the device, we just hit 'run' and it's built, copied to the device and executed. I don't think anyone will jump through the hoops of creating an IPA for you just so you can "have the awesomeness" a few days before Apple approve it anyway.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cryptic Edge posted:

Why on earth would need to "root" an iPad in this day and age?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

VLC, OpenVPn, any UI tweaks that are only available through Cydia...

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Come on let's not act like iOS suits everyone's needs perfectly.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Ursine Asylum posted:

VLC, OpenVPn, any UI tweaks that are only available through Cydia...

I had to get a new phone the other day and the only thing that is killing me about not being able to jailbreak it is the tweak that reverses the functionality of autocorrect to where you have to click on the bubble to apply the correction.

My messages don't even make sense now.

Also animated nyan cat sliders. Obviously.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

cornface posted:

Also animated nyan cat sliders. Obviously.

I had an animated nyan cat in my notifications drop down for a long time. :3:

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mines an ipad 1, isn't getting os updates any more and crashes any time it has less than 15 mb free memory. Rooting it let's me keep the memory free top center of the screen all the time so I know if I need to force close things to prevent a crash since its annoying as hell. As apps get bigger I've had to be far more watchful of this, and before rooting it I didn't have a solid indicator of why I kept having crashes on apps all the time.

If apple made a device that handled memory properly then maybe I wouldn't have rooted it, but they failed there and refused to ever see it had an issue when it was in warranty. The crashes were "working as intended" according to them.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I just got an iPhone 5. Has anybody else had trouble with multi-page bookmarked threads showing up as containing just one page when opened?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why wouldn't people at least attempt to read the thread before posting?

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

At this point you might as well get a thread title change so people know its been reported a thousand times already.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Why wouldn't people at least attempt to read the thread before posting?

I think you underestimate how many people use their iPad as a PC alternative. I don't visit SA at work, my laptop was literally collecting dust at home for lack of use, and my random-gen password to sign into SA is enough of a pain in the rear end to retrieve that I didn't want to deal with the hassle of signing in again on my iPad. I would have been in the dark with it too except for an accidental unplugging that left my iPad unjuiced for a day.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Asylum posted:

I think you underestimate how many people use their iPad as a PC alternative. I don't visit SA at work, my laptop was literally collecting dust at home for lack of use, and my random-gen password to sign into SA is enough of a pain in the rear end to retrieve that I didn't want to deal with the hassle of signing in again on my iPad. I would have been in the dark with it too except for an accidental unplugging that left my iPad unjuiced for a day.

Maybe it just behaves differently for me, but even though every thread is one page, when I click on it from bookmarks, I still get the new posts. I may have to scroll down, but they're there. And since you have to load the thread before you can post in it, it seems like people should be taking the time to read before they post.

But like I said, maybe it works better on my phone than it does for other people.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Maybe it just behaves differently for me, but even though every thread is one page, when I click on it from bookmarks, I still get the new posts. I may have to scroll down, but they're there. And since you have to load the thread before you can post in it, it seems like people should be taking the time to read before they post.

But like I said, maybe it works better on my phone than it does for other people.

Mine just says page 1 of 1 and end of thread. I can't scroll anywhere (4s)

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

It works on mine too - I was wondering if I was just lucky enough to have a fluke functioning version or something. I'm still eager for the updates, but at least I can read things.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

nwin posted:

Mine just says page 1 of 1 and end of thread. I can't scroll anywhere (4s)

That sounds like you're on the old app.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Diabolik900 posted:

That sounds like you're on the old app.

Zuh? I have the :getin: frog for an icon.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

nwin posted:

Zuh? I have the :getin: frog for an icon.

That's the old one. That's completely broken now. You're missing out on quite a few new features. Here's the new one.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Chuck Bartowski posted:

That's the old one. That's completely broken now. You're missing out on quite a few new features. Here's the new one.

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

nwin posted:

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks!

None of the Awful apps on the App Store are currently working thanks to the redesign, but the update should be approved any day now.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The app works for me now except for one detail, when I press my bookmarks tab the whole app crashes and throws me to the main screen of my iPhone.

I also thought the update had gone through and I had downloaded it, now I know that is not the case so I'll just wait for that for now.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

bowmore posted:

The app works for me now except for one detail, when I press my bookmarks tab the whole app crashes and throws me to the main screen of my iPhone.

I think if you disable thread tags that problem doesn't happen

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Chuck Bartowski posted:

None of the Awful apps on the App Store are currently working thanks to the redesign, but the update should be approved any day now.

That's ok. Just glad to have a current one.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

To be fair there really isn't a thread just for the frog version, but that's a YOSPOS creation and isn't being worked on / supported by anyone in this thread. The version by Nolan Waite is the only version that currently has any support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Holy poo poo this new app is awesome...and it's not even technically working right!

I can easily deal with the page 1 of 1 stuff for now...was there anything else loving up with this app really? Besides showing thread tags obviously...

• Locked thread