Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

how!! posted:

I spend my days writing code and fixing bugs. I don't sperg about pristine commit history.

That's super cool. I bet the manager that fires your dumb rear end for committing AWS keys to a publicly accessible repo can't wait to hear all the things you don't sperg about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
In all fairness, I've committed private credentials to a public repo too.

The very first time I used git and github. At least it was my stuff and not for work. v:shobon:v

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
It's not about the mistake. People are fallible. People make mistakes all the time as part of the learning process. But the only way it's actually a learning process is if you admit it, figure out went wrong, and make steps to correct it, especially in a professional setting, where people are staking their livelihoods on your work. No sane company would let what just happened go by unaccounted for. If your postmortem on a security incident is "not gonna sperg about it lol" then it's obvious it will happen again, especially if the employee who made the mistake doesn't feel like "sperging about" the demonstrably correct thing to do to fix it.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Wheany posted:

Commented-out code gets deleted on sight.

But what if we need that code someday :ohdear:

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

The real horror is putting configuration or credentials in source code in the first place.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

quote:

The twelve-factor app stores config in environment variables (often shortened to env vars or env)

OK, just replace one horror with another. Got it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Manslaughter posted:

But what if we need that code someday :ohdear:

Obviously the solution is to enclose it in
#ifdef DONOTCOMPILE

#endif

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Pardot posted:

The real horror is putting configuration or credentials in source code in the first place.

I wanted to do this (store credentials, DB hosts, api keys, etc in environment variables) for a new web project -- not just for the security, but for the convenience of configuring different environments for development, staging, etc. Operations refused to work with us on it literally for no reason other than, "We don't want to do it because it'll be more work for us, and the other web teams have always committed credentials to code."

I wonder if anyone ever managed to figure out that .git was accessible for several projects on our certain web hosts, where our Paypal, Amazon AWS, DB credentials and hosts, etc. were all there for the taking in an included php file. (By the way, I discovered and reported that issue to Operations, who proceeded to take the better part of a week to resolve it.)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

OK, just replace one horror with another. Got it.

Where's the horror there?

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Deus Rex posted:

I wanted to do this (store credentials, DB hosts, api keys, etc in environment variables) for a new web project -- not just for the security, but for the convenience of configuring different environments for development, staging, etc. Operations refused to work with us on it literally for no reason other than, "We don't want to do it because it'll be more work for us, and the other web teams have always committed credentials to code."

I wonder if anyone ever managed to figure out that .git was accessible for several projects on our certain web hosts, where our Paypal, Amazon AWS, DB credentials and hosts, etc. were all there for the taking in an included php file. (By the way, I discovered and reported that issue to Operations, who proceeded to take the better part of a week to resolve it.)

I end up just putting the configuration .ini file location in the vhost configuration for webapps. It's one of the sanest way to work thusfar, to be honest. Even if several applications had to share the configuration. But that might be because I haven't run into better solutions yet. At least it keeps the configuration out of source control or deployment systems.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Ithaqua posted:

TFS really is a wonderful product for those of us who are Microsoft-centric. I want to learn git better, but all of the commands are scary and obtuse. :(
git-tf is a pretty good starting point if you can work out a sane workflow. I'm still not sure what the best practices is because I end up doing a pull from the repo in both and just committing from master in VS but it's worth it to have local branches instead of a bunch of shelvesets when I need to switch tasks. Also a heap nicer to install than cygwin etc. etc. which was last time I tried to git up windows.

But yeah TFS policies forcing linked work items for check ins is The Selling Point for TFS as far as I'm concerned.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Environment variables are spawned from parent process to child process, meaning that any configuration you do will propagate along forever.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Hammerite posted:

Are you advocating this seriously, or are you ironically suggesting it and assuming it as implicit that it is bad practice? (This is not a sarcastic enquiry. I genuinely do not know.) If the latter, is it not appropriate to add a comment explaining why a particular approach is not used, if an alternate approach exists which might easily occur to someone reading the code but which has non-obvious deficiencies? (This need not involve including commented-out program code.)

Nobody seemed to answer you, so I will :shobon:

quote:

instead of deleting lines, comment them out and add a 2-3 sentence comment above explaining why it was deleted

It was ironic suggestion/snide jab at this post, which implies that documentation and reasoning for changes should be stored in the code and not in the message regarding the changes:

how!! posted:

That seems like an argument in favor of documentation.

Documentation should go in the code, not in the commit history.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Environment variables are spawned from parent process to child process, meaning that any configuration you do will propagate along forever.
You also have to take into account wherever you store these environment variables; for example, one place I was at stored them in Apache's vhost configuration files... which were world-readable. So anybody with ssh access could see all the information for any other hosted site.

I would imagine the best thing to do is designate a .gitignored location for your installation-specific configurations so that it becomes a lot harder to gently caress up and commit them. You just have to be aware of the problem first.

Also, the font on that 12factor site is loving terrible and makes my eyes hurt.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

Oh no! Then my worker unicorns will share the same configuration as the master unicorn!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
php:
<?
$this->_db->query("INSERT INTO awful_table VALUES (?,?,1)",array($foo, $bar));
?>
I wasn't aware people still used VALUES without a column list in this day and age. Certainly makes things fun when the table structure changes!

(This is the third time this particular "feature" has bitten us in the rear end and I really wish the developer that does it would get a clue)

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

how!! posted:

I've never understood the need people have to sperg out about commit. How often do you *really* have to go back over your history to find a particular commit?

The number of times a bad commit message has negatively effected me: 0.

I had a co-worker a while back who was one of those source control nazis. He'd freak out and yell at you if each commit message wasn't at least 2 sentences. I would always ask him "how does this effect you in any way" and never got an answer.
lol this guy has started posting here. hey guy, that's a bad idea.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
wtf this bug, time to reimplement the entire codebase *gets fired for being an idiot*

God of Mischief
Oct 22, 2010
I am currently the commit-sperg on my team. I'm not expecting pristine, perfect commits. I just expect the message to describe either the what or why of what was changed, hopefully describing the things that changed in the commit. As long as they don't commit five unrelated changes and only mention one of them in the message I don't care. I have *mostly* won that battle by asking the people who do terrible commit messages what exactly happened in the unrelated files.

plashy
Apr 13, 2012
Other than reading the docs/wiki, the first job for a new team member at my work is reading the commit history and seeing how the project was built up, they can read the diffs when it's important. It shows them a lot of stuff that the documentation usually won't and gives them good a piece by piece understanding of the code base.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Troll or not how!!'s post history is an entertaining read

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007
At work people tend to commit lots of
code:
//print $var_name
in the code, which I repeatedly point out could be replaced by using the logging modules where
code:
debug($var_name)
doesn't do anything in production but will log when run on development machines.

plashy
Apr 13, 2012

Dicky B posted:

Troll or not how!!'s post history is an entertaining read

Was it like...

sdfkjh6;s
djd
buttes
hhhhh

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Wheany posted:

Commented-out code gets deleted on sight.

I have a bunch of code that is ugly for performance reasons that's preceded by commented out prettier versions because idiots kept replacing the ugly versions with the pretty version as if I hadn't tried it that way to begin with.

Other than that you are correct.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

the talent deficit posted:

I have a bunch of code that is ugly for performance reasons that's preceded by commented out prettier versions because idiots kept replacing the ugly versions with the pretty version as if I hadn't tried it that way to begin with.

Hopefully with a comment saying "Don't touch the uncommented code, the commented versions are slow as poo poo"?

Edit: Been looking around the code here at the new job while trying to find something to do, and some of it is interesting.

In one of the scripts printing out a table of options:
Perl code:
$divideby = 1;
$count = 1;
foreach (my $entry in $options) {
    $html .= "<td>a checkbox and label using values from $entry</td>";
    if ($count / $divideby == 4) {
        $html .= "</tr>\n<tr>";
        $divideby++;
    }
    $count++;
}

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 4, 2013

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

the talent deficit posted:

Why leave the code there at all? Put a comment at the top of the block of ugly code that explains why it's ugly, remove the pretty code. Problem solved.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

And if you use emacs (lol), use magit. Has a fancy thing for staging/unstaging hunks that's p. awesome.

Guy at this new job saw me using emacs instead of some fancy IDE and literally laughed :(

WHOIS John Galt posted:

That's super cool. I bet the manager that fires your dumb rear end for committing AWS keys to a publicly accessible repo can't wait to hear all the things you don't sperg about.

How!! is well known for being unemployed, potentially unemployable.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

fritz posted:

How!! is well known for being unemployed, potentially unemployable.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490971

I think this thread makes clear which one it is.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

How!! is Avenging Dentist's apocalyptic form.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Yep, if someone can't acknowledge why a rationale for a change is invaluable, and thinks that the only thing you can do to code when you work on it is improve it, regardless of your pre existing knowledge of the code's decisions, then I'm pretty sure they aren't gonna be a good fit for most shops. At this point though he strikes me as the IWC of the Cavern of COBOL though.

UxP
Aug 27, 2007

Sang- posted:

At work people tend to commit lots of
code:
//print $var_name
in the code, which I repeatedly point out could be replaced by using the logging modules where
code:
debug($var_name)
doesn't do anything in production but will log when run on development machines.

Both of those are equal horrors.

Any code I come across with the hint of print or echo horseshit debug statements is code I don't want to touch. Learn to use a goddamned debugger. If all you use it for is to inspect a variable, you're 90% better than any asshat that doesn't know how to run one.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

UxP posted:

Any code I come across with the hint of print or echo horseshit debug statements is code I don't want to touch. Learn to use a goddamned debugger. If all you use it for is to inspect a variable, you're 90% better than any asshat that doesn't know how to run one.

nitpick4u: Debug statements are useful if timing is significant, eg if you're trying to track down the scenario causing a deadlock.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

UxP posted:

That doesn't really seem like a reasonable statement to me, sometimes if there's an issue in production that's impossible/impractical to reproduce in engineering we want to raise the log level so we get more debugging output in the log files. Running debuggers on those production systems isn't necessarily a practical solution.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Progressive JPEG posted:

nitpick4u: Debug statements are useful if timing is significant, eg if you're trying to track down the scenario causing a deadlock.

Yeah, working with indexedDB there's a heap of asynchronous stuff going on that a debugger can't effectively keep up with, especially when I need to know the order things are happening is what I think it is. That said though once I'm done working on a feature branch I strip out all the logging calls I was using.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The horror is committing your printf-debugging statements into your version control.

Your production systems should be logging a bunch of poo poo, but logging is not debugging and if you put your debugging poo poo into the logs your logs rapidly become useless.

UxP
Aug 27, 2007

het posted:

That doesn't really seem like a reasonable statement to me, sometimes if there's an issue in production that's impossible/impractical to reproduce in engineering we want to raise the log level so we get more debugging output in the log files. Running debuggers on those production systems isn't necessarily a practical solution.

Raising the log level is not even similar to peppering code with debug statements. It's raising the log level of your logger, which is designed to correctly put the relevant information in a designated and known file or service which you can read or parse later. making GBS threads up code with:

code:
var_dump($_GET);
is what I'm talking about. It's spewing information from wherever you please to wherever it decides to. Commenting them out before committing is a nice touch, but it still proves that you don't know what the gently caress you're doing. Just quit doing it and use the proper methods of information gathering.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Committing debugging statements is fine. If it's in your own branch.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Global variables are great. Hope you didn't want to run a second copy in the same process.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Riiiighhhhtt. He's that guy.

Oh, man. I'm now imagining the new guy coming and rewriting half the code base on Master and committing it as "asdfsababuttes". :psyboom: Given how smug I'm sure How!!! is in real life, I'm sure the whole situation would be pretty.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Ithaqua posted:

Why leave the code there at all? Put a comment at the top of the block of ugly code that explains why it's ugly, remove the pretty code. Problem solved.

There's comments that explain why it's ugly but people are still always like, 'here i rewrote this as a list comprehension/with a fsm/using a struct'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004

lol so he's against commit messages because he doesn't actually know how to consume and understand other people's code, so why have messages designed to assist in that? I know people like this.