Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
SEVEN different forms? loving really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo the shard minimap made my day.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Himuro posted:

Holy poo poo the shard minimap made my day.

You're like half the reason I posted it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

TurnipFritter posted:

You're like half the reason I posted it.

I love you!

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Unoriginal posted:

SEVEN different forms? loving really?

Thankfully (to the best of my knowledge, anyway), none of the other games pull that stunt.

Gathering the shards after Krage in DQVII. Got lucky and stumbled upon Sword Dance and Lightning, which seem to break the game in two. Obviously, Lightning is going to be less useful later on, but Sword Dance seems to be percentage based rather than fixed damage. Dharma Temple was an interesting change of pace. The Wonderock stopped it from being difficult, and the arena reminded me of Alena's chapter in DQIV.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Saigyouji posted:

Thankfully (to the best of my knowledge, anyway), none of the other games pull that stunt.

Gathering the shards after Krage in DQVII. Got lucky and stumbled upon Sword Dance and Lightning, which seem to break the game in two. Obviously, Lightning is going to be less useful later on, but Sword Dance seems to be percentage based rather than fixed damage. Dharma Temple was an interesting change of pace. The Wonderock stopped it from being difficult, and the arena reminded me of Alena's chapter in DQIV.

Lightning is a pretty good substitute for Vacuum until you can get it via Paladin. (Or was it Dragoon? I can't remember) Sword Dance is like, four hits at 75% strength? Everything just dies if you make a point of getting more then one character with it.

This remake has me way too excited. Dragon Warrior VII was my first ever video game past Pokémon. Looking back, I'm shocked little kid me actually liked the game/didn't get fed up with hunting for shards and grinding jobs. I might have to suck it up and actually buy a 3DS if they bring the game stateside.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It's not quite Terry's Wonderland 3D, but in Dragon Quest VII 3DS you can put together a team of three monsters and go exploring a cave to find the shards used in the game's streetpass system.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

There really isn't any word out about Terry's Wonderland heading West is there? Or the new Rocket Slime? Someone must hate money.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

There really isn't any word out about Terry's Wonderland heading West is there? Or the new Rocket Slime? Someone must hate money.

Seriously, it's not like the DQM games weren't popular over here. Whats the deal?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I don't think DQM games sold well at all. Nintendo is probably saving its resources for 7. Guys we don't live in a time when we will get every single major Japanese release anymore. Pubs are going to be more choosy. We likely won't get Terry's Wonderland with DQ7 remake coming so soon - I mean, next month in Japan, yikes. What's the point if that's the case?

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Himuro posted:

I don't think DQM games sold well at all. Nintendo is probably saving its resources for 7. Guys we don't live in a time when we will get every single major Japanese release anymore. Pubs are going to be more choosy. We likely won't get Terry's Wonderland with DQ7 remake coming so soon - I mean, next month in Japan, yikes. What's the point if that's the case?

its mean thats the point

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Himuro posted:

I agree on your former point. The halcyon days of "let's localize everything that hits DS" are long over. But the latter... U.S. Dragon Quest localizations have been lagging by about a year from their Japanese releases since Square Enix decided to get the ball rolling again. So assuming they keep to that schedule going into the future, there's plenty of time for Terry's Wonderland to come over before DQVII. In fact, there's time for it to come over without it even being announced for localization prior to E3.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

I agree on your former point. The halcyon days of "let's localize everything that hits DS" are long over. But the latter... U.S. Dragon Quest localizations have been lagging by about a year from their Japanese releases since Square Enix decided to get the ball rolling again. So assuming they keep to that schedule going into the future, there's plenty of time for Terry's Wonderland to come over before DQVII. In fact, there's time for it to come over without it even being announced for localization prior to E3.

We can only hope. We didn't even get DQ1-3 for wii though. So it makes it feel like they're being extremely selective.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Or Dragon Quest 1-3 for the SNES. :argh:

I don't suppose there's been any sort of word on Dragon Quest XI yet? Like something on 3DS using a beefed up DQ9 engine and containing less British slang and bad puns?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

less British slang and bad puns?

You shut your mouth. :mad:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy posted:

Or Dragon Quest 1-3 for the SNES. :argh:

I don't suppose there's been any sort of word on Dragon Quest XI yet? Like something on 3DS using a beefed up DQ9 engine and containing less British slang and bad puns?

Should be announced sometime this year for 3ds if history is on our side.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
I need to buy a 3DS LL already. After playing IV on the DS and the horrible accents and all the BS, I like playing them in Japanese a lot better. Sure you get dialect bullshit and Sandy, but the whole accent poo poo ruined IV for me.

I am not a fan of the puns in the English games. There are only puns in monster names in Japanese, and even then they're uncommon and generally cute.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Arcaeris posted:

I need to buy a 3DS LL already. After playing IV on the DS and the horrible accents and all the BS, I like playing them in Japanese a lot better. Sure you get dialect bullshit and Sandy, but the whole accent poo poo ruined IV for me.

I am not a fan of the puns in the English games. There are only puns in monster names in Japanese, and even then they're uncommon and generally cute.

To be fair, DQIV ds is the worst of it. They scaled it down in V, VI, and IX.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Was it normal for IV to be brutally hard? I had to use kabuff in every battle at one point and abuse that item that heals everyone just to stay alive near the end.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
IV is a ds remake so the world is smaller which means you will fight less battles, meaning you'll be slightly underleveled when the poo poo comes into town.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

Well, knowing how S-E works on these things, there needs to be a release of a Terry's Wonderland DX so S-E can not bring that one out over here.

I don't know if it was Nintendo or S-E who made that wonderful decision with J2 but whoever it is needs a swift and painful kick up the rear.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
From what I understand J2 had been localized well in advance of its release, back when the American DS market was in better shape and it might have made sense to release it here, and Nintendo decided, "Eh, why not?" to fill out its Q4 '11 release list. That's why we got vanilla J2 and not Professional -- it was already in the bag.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Man they really, really, really changed the first dungeon of DQ7 for the 3DS version. Like, it doesn't have puzzles anymore, you just run around the island collecting the Saints' stuff from some new locations. For people who didn't like the lengthy intro of the PSX version, it's now basically nothing at all.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

Man they really, really, really changed the first dungeon of DQ7 for the 3DS version. Like, it doesn't have puzzles anymore, you just run around the island collecting the Saints' stuff from some new locations. For people who didn't like the lengthy intro of the PSX version, it's now basically nothing at all.

Famitsu brought up this exact point in the reviews, which may be about the first time Famitsu has had useful information in review text in a few years.

Robotic Accolade
Jul 23, 2007

EDF! EDF! EDF!

TurnipFritter posted:

I picked DQ7 up at launch, although work's been so busy I haven't had time to get past the first island. Overall I'm somewhat torn on the remake: I miss the smoothly animated sprite art of the original, and I'm sure having all high level job skills be tied to the class will put a damper on my love of ridiculous, game balance-shattering grinding. The entire opening sequence felt sort of... rushed? Given how long it originally was, it was probably a good decision to trim it all down, but I feel like you barely get introduced to Grand Estard and the inhabitants before you're already off on your journey- where the original game went to great lengths to set up the atmosphere of the island before the real adventure began.

I'm sure it'll grow on me once I get a chance to play it some more. While there are pop-in issues, the models look great and the orchestral remixes of the game sound even better. Is anyone else playing through?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just wrapped up DQIX, and I don't know I might have been playing it wrong or something (The only thing I looked up was the stuff on beforeiplay) but I was overall a bit disappointed with the experience. The experience scaling is really messed up; you reach a point about about 2/3 through the game where the amount you gain from battles stops rising as quickly as you need it to. As a result, once you hit the 30's, your level gaining grinds to a halt. It seems like metal slimes are the only way to go, but I encountered very few. I guess the grottos are good for experience? Great except I never found any treasure maps. So I finished the game with no classes mastered, which meant I didn't really get a chance to swap around and try out new ones like in DQVI. Why bother going from Warrior to Paladin for example if I lose absolutely everything? But then for better or worse, the game isn't particularly hard anyway (probably the easiest final boss I've seen in DQ). I can't say I cared for the 3D graphics either, novel as it is that your characters' appearance changes as you equip stuff. The quests were kind of a pain and I just sort of lost all interest in them. Alchemy was kind of pointless too since you never had the right materials, and probably wouldn't find them without looking in a FAQ.

I've only played the previous three DS games and DQVIII, but I think I would say that IX is the first one I didn't care for all that much.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I just wrapped up DQIX, and I don't know I might have been playing it wrong or something (The only thing I looked up was the stuff on beforeiplay) but I was overall a bit disappointed with the experience. The experience scaling is really messed up; you reach a point about about 2/3 through the game where the amount you gain from battles stops rising as quickly as you need it to. As a result, once you hit the 30's, your level gaining grinds to a halt. It seems like metal slimes are the only way to go, but I encountered very few. I guess the grottos are good for experience? Great except I never found any treasure maps. So I finished the game with no classes mastered, which meant I didn't really get a chance to swap around and try out new ones like in DQVI. Why bother going from Warrior to Paladin for example if I lose absolutely everything? But then for better or worse, the game isn't particularly hard anyway (probably the easiest final boss I've seen in DQ). I can't say I cared for the 3D graphics either, novel as it is that your characters' appearance changes as you equip stuff. The quests were kind of a pain and I just sort of lost all interest in them. Alchemy was kind of pointless too since you never had the right materials, and probably wouldn't find them without looking in a FAQ.

I've only played the previous three DS games and DQVIII, but I think I would say that IX is the first one I didn't care for all that much.

That's a shame you didn't care for the game!
There's two main places in the game outside of the lucky random grotto map to go metal slime hunting before the post-game stuff. There's the Quarantomb where you can super rarely come across a metal slime. And there's that place where you get the bow to make the bridge over the chasm. I forget its name. The second level down or so, you cane easily finagle things to keep new mobs spawning and jump on liquid metal slimes without too much difficulty. In the post game, there's a flight only area that's full of all kinds of slimes that kind of the go-to grinding spot.
But you really don't need to do any grinding for the main game. All the 'hard' stuff is reserved for grotto delving and the bonus boss maps you can get through that and through the post-game quests that open up by connecting online.
If you want to find treasure maps you get at least one from the king in the first castle town in the post-game and there's a quest-guy outside the town made of stone that gives you a basic map for giving him some herbs or something.
Alchemy is pretty useful, honestly. You don't need an FAQ for it, but you have to talk to everyone, do every quest you can, and read every bookshelf in order to get recipes, or otherwise being willing to do a lot of experimentation. As soon as you get the pot you can do a lot to improve you healing items, which is nice. Although yeah, to get a lot of stuff you need to be willing to both grind monster drops (get all you characters to learn the steal skill for sanity's sake) and explore the map to find all the places where various materials respawn. Like there's crevices on Dharma island where iron and lava lumps spawn and if you don't go exploring for them you'll have a tough time making anything with metal.

The job system in IX is also way different from the previous games and if that's what you went in expecting to work with, then no wonder you weren't too happy with it! You get enough points from a job to max out two skills. One by 38, the other at level cap. So you can't just stay in one job and wait to 'max it out' or whatever. Your best bet is to decide on a particular role you want each party member to fulfill and then use skill points they can gain in other roles to acquire the skills and bonuses that would benefit them most for that.
So like, I have a character I want to be my healer/spellcaster. I level them up as a priest and put points in the priest unique skill. I might also switch them to a martial artist and put points in the martial artist unique skill to get the massive speed bonus. And I might save the skill points they gain while being a gladiator so when I switch them back to priest I can dump it all in their shield skill and improve their survivability.
When you change class you keep any skills and stat bonus you gain from the class unique skill. Any class that shares a weapon skill also remembers how many points you put in it, and any weapon skill maxed out at 100 can be used by that character regardless of the class they're in.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

AriadneThread posted:

When you change class you keep any skills and stat bonus you gain from the class unique skill. Any class that shares a weapon skill also remembers how many points you put in it, and any weapon skill maxed out at 100 can be used by that character regardless of the class they're in.
This is surprising to me, because way back at the beginning of the game once I was able to switch jobs one of the first things I tried out was swapping around to see what stayed with you. I must have not been paying too much attention, because I thought everything was lost in the transition unless you were switching to a class that had the same weapon. Thus I thought there was no point to changing classes until you mastered them (specifically, getting 100 skill points in a category). Then you'd retain that category's bonuses and skills. I would have probably played the game significantly differently if I had known otherwise. I spent the entire game with two Warriors, a Mage, and a Priest and never changed any of them. I would have loved having another healer at least. And learning skill points in another class, but not using in them in that class? That's kind of mind blowing, I would have never considered doing that because I didn't think it would work.

Also is it just me, or are some skills just really hard to get? I never got Kabuff or Kazing. For all I know you don't even learn them in DQIX, at least in the normal Priest class.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, that's a shame!
I think the only weapon skill that doesn't carry over regardless of whether it's maxed out or not might be fisticuffs? But even then, if you went from say, thief to martial artist you'd keep any points you'd already spent in the skill.
And in case I wasn't clear, any skill points you gain and don't immediately spend are saved and you can spend them on whatever regardless of class. So like, because I'm a loser, the first thing I did after being able to class change was level every character in every class to like, 15 or 20 and that gave me a bunch of points to max out a skill or so waaay earlier then I otherwise could have.

I had to look it up, because I didn't remember, but yeah. Kabuff is a learned by Paladins at level 9 or so and by Sages at level 30. And a sage is the only class that learns Kazing, at 45. Generally you'll find that characters are still learning new spells waaaay later then any other dragon quest game. There's even a whole other rank of healing spell before you get Fullheal. The two new stats that improve your magical damage and magical healing do a lot to make up for that though since you can finally boost your ability like you could physical attacks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It is pretty funny that I was able to not only play the game completely wrong but beat it with relatively little trouble other than getting really annoyed at having to cast Buff 50 million times in boss battles.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

:)

Dragon Quest is pretty much the star of the 'too hard? Go grind more' game philosophy. It's a lot like Pokemon in that respect. The core game is pretty basic so young kids can do it. You only really need to know what you're doing if you want to bother with the post-game stuff like the bonus boss grottos.

Which honestly is so grind-tastic that I never could be bothered to get around to, as much as I liked the system.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
yeah the post-game and legacy boss stuff seemed cool until I looked up a FAQ and saw how mind-blowingly grindy it was. Hope you like 2-5% drop rates on items you'd need dozens of to create other things. The old pictures of people with 500+ hours of gameplay not being close to 100% completion was not a joke. :psyduck:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

yeah the post-game and legacy boss stuff seemed cool until I looked up a FAQ and saw how mind-blowingly grindy it was. Hope you like 2-5% drop rates on items you'd need dozens of to create other things. The old pictures of people with 500+ hours of gameplay not being close to 100% completion was not a joke. :psyduck:

I've toyed with that stuff a bit, but I greatly enjoyed playing through the main game. Metal slimes make it so ridiculously easy to level a number of classes, and abilities you unlock remain regardless of class. By Quarantomb it's very easy to have 100 in a weapon skill and kick rear end on any job.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

That's pretty much what I did. Once I could unlock classes I got metal slash on my characters and got them to level 11-13 in about 5 different classes before continuing on with the game. I only spent what I knew I'd want to use on character (100 in to sword on main character) and when I unlocked gladiator I was able to dump about 90 points in to it from the start. Did sort of the same with Paladin when I eventually got it.

The main game is fun, the end game makes me want to copy my save file to my PC and edit it to have a few dozen of every item so thatI can just go fight the legacy bosses for fun and call it a day.

Not even sure how you'd beat some of them when they're level 99 without relying entirely on luck and a lot of paladin coup de grace usage since high level legacy bosses can do party wide attacks that hit for hundreds of damage and get 2+ attacks (I think some end up with 4?).

Still, was worth buying for the main game and the engine needs to be used more, with multiplayer being extended to wifi. It's a perfect way of doing a multiplayer turn-based RPG.

Blind the Thief
Oct 9, 2012

But I wonder how the ghost fit inside a bottle?
Recently started playing DQV (SNES) for the first time. So far the game is just astoundingly well done to me. The beginning is paced perfectly, and the game doesn't start out like every other Dragon Quest game seems to. I'm totally pumped for this. Anyone have any non-spoilery tidbits that I should know going into this one?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Blind the Thief posted:

Recently started playing DQV (SNES) for the first time. So far the game is just astoundingly well done to me. The beginning is paced perfectly, and the game doesn't start out like every other Dragon Quest game seems to. I'm totally pumped for this. Anyone have any non-spoilery tidbits that I should know going into this one?

I can't think of anything to tell you, I just want to agree that it is THE BEST GAME.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Blind the Thief posted:

Recruit a slime knight as soon as you can. And name him Pierre. :colbert:

Blind the Thief
Oct 9, 2012

But I wonder how the ghost fit inside a bottle?
Well, DQV is on hiatus, it seems. Was about ten hours or so in -- got to the town with the casino and was having a blast gambling, and the cartridge glitched out and erased my data. No big, this happens sometimes, right? Well now, the game won't play for more than 15 minutes without freezing and erasing the data.

I'll probably start a good ol' fashioned run on DQIII for the time being. I'm thinking that I'll go with Hero, Thief, Cleric, and Jester. Any objections?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Blind the Thief posted:

Well, DQV is on hiatus, it seems. Was about ten hours or so in -- got to the town with the casino and was having a blast gambling, and the cartridge glitched out and erased my data. No big, this happens sometimes, right? Well now, the game won't play for more than 15 minutes without freezing and erasing the data.

I'll probably start a good ol' fashioned run on DQIII for the time being. I'm thinking that I'll go with Hero, Thief, Cleric, and Jester. Any objections?

Gonna have some tough times with the early battles, for sure, but it'll be a fun slog.

I've seen that cartridge glitch before...a buddy of mine and I went to the comp sci lab and opened it up and it's actually fixable. I'm not the expert but it's something to do with how a specific power strip is really flimsy but can be stretched to get the game going again for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I finally dug up my Dragon Quest ix cart after having thought I lost it... Is the DQVC still available? I want to grab the DLC characters but I'm having trouble finding any viable Wifi around here.