Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Focus effects can also lower the casting time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

JustJeff88 posted:

I can corroborate this as someone who has spent far too much time in Paw himself. I would never slag off wizards as I play one myself, but even an A5 rogue merc down there really shortens fights. Merc tanks can be retarded and merc clerics are as thick as pig poo poo sometimes (my A5 cleric mercs are horridly inefficient with their mana and it drives me battty), but merc rogues are very efficient, always assist the proper tank, virtually never pull aggro, etc. Wizards are great for flashy burst damage, but rogue mercs do very well for consistent, smart, safe DPS.
Perhaps you already know, but to others who might be interested: To greatly improve the "AI" of tank mercs, make sure you set roles in your group. Right-click a party member, go to Roles, and you can pick from various roles, including: Main Tank, Puller and Main Assist. For example, if you're pulling with your most pull-capable character to a camp where you have your other boxes sitting, the tank merc will by default foolishly run out into the field and "help" your puller with mobs as soon as you get even remotely close with the mobs. To fix this, simply give yourself the "Puller" role and the tank merc will neatly sit at the camp and not attack until you dump mobs right on top of him. Furthermore, set the tank merc to the role "Main Tank" and he will also be a lot more clever about trying to get agro on all mobs currently in the camp, help your boxes if they gain agro, and so on. Setting yourself as "Main Assist" (on top of being Puller) further improves his target selection.

DrMaddux
Mar 2, 2012

Sup Buds
Myself and a friend are going to transfer some characters over to FV later this week. Is there a guild up or anyone in the 60ish range that want to get down on some groups? We are coming from Vox, which seems pretty dead.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Devor posted:

Trying out the rogue merc, and while I haven't whipped out the parser yet, he has some loving amazing abilities while on Burn. I saw him double nuke for 3k each once, and single nuke for that much once. He didn't pull aggro from the tank, and when my bard died while my tank was on passive, he managed to tank one of the two mobs (gnolls in Steppes hitting for 750), with the cleric merc tanking the other one, til they died. As a side note, this has made me re-evaluate keeping the tank on my bard, since the songs make him pull aggro on pulls pretty often. Healer merc stays on my SK for feigns in the event of wipes.

So a question on what appears to be focus effects: I had been using creeping darkness (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=344), the level 11 snare since it's only 1.8s cast time, compared to 3s cast time for the higher level snares. Cheaper on mana, too. But I just tried out Festering Darkness, the SK special level 61 snare (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=3400).

When I inspect Clinging, and when I cast it, it takes the full 1.8s to cast. However, when I inspect Festering, it says 3.0s (1.5s), and does only take 1.5s to cast - and I assume this is my cleric's casting speed buff kicking in? It seems dumb that a slower spell can end up actually faster.

Turn off your bard's songs during pulls and he'll seriously never pull aggro again. Just make a /stopsong hotkey you poke after a fight and then poke the /melody one once your SK has established aggro. Alternately, tag the mob with a terror on inc and the bard won't grab aggro then, either.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

DrMaddux posted:

Myself and a friend are going to transfer some characters over to FV later this week. Is there a guild up or anyone in the 60ish range that want to get down on some groups? We are coming from Vox, which seems pretty dead.

I have my three-box on FV, level 66 right now - Devore (SK), Bevore (Bard), Sevore (Shaman). Devore would be the person to look out for if you want to do something, Bevore's often just afk practicing instrument skills. And I guess this would be a good time for me to take some time to practice my defensive skills so that I could actually tank for a group. And buy the taunt spells, etc.

I noticed that dueling a PC was not letting me raise skills - does using the arena work differently, and allow skillups? Someone had mentioned whacking on their cleric merc to practice weapon skills. Hopefully that empty arena in Kaladim doesn't have guards within sight of my shadowknight.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Devor posted:

I noticed that dueling a PC was not letting me raise skills - does using the arena work differently, and allow skillups? Someone had mentioned whacking on their cleric merc to practice weapon skills.

Seems to be that you can skill up on mercs, but not on PC's anymore, I fear. I spent the last few nights working on my wizard's 2HB/1HB/1HP in the guild hall by hacking away (via auto-attack) for hours on end at my druid's tank merc, who interestingly enough doesn't attack back even on aggressive. You have to have your characters /duel each other first, but it will eventually get you there. You have to pay the merc fees in the meantime, but I tend to look at it as something akin to paying for martial arts lessons.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

JustJeff88 posted:

Seems to be that you can skill up on mercs, but not on PC's anymore, I fear. I spent the last few nights working on my wizard's 2HB/1HB/1HP in the guild hall by hacking away (via auto-attack) for hours on end at my druid's tank merc, who interestingly enough doesn't attack back even on aggressive. You have to have your characters /duel each other first, but it will eventually get you there. You have to pay the merc fees in the meantime, but I tend to look at it as something akin to paying for martial arts lessons.

So that means you can train weapon skills but not defensive? Guess I'll swap out to just soloing some green stuff with my SK and a cleric merc to get those defenses up. I was getting *rocked* by hot zone blues compared to my J1 tank merc.

DrMaddux
Mar 2, 2012

Sup Buds

JustJeff88 posted:

I wouldnt have thought to do that, thanks. Hopefully my mage can get his green belt today.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The worst part of tank mercs is how they handle root/snare cc and how they always give their back to mobs with multiples.

I never see bards pull aggro off tanks since they can just tap fade to clear themselves as often as needed.

DrMaddux posted:

FV transfers aren't free any more and it is not worth paying to transfer level 60s.

Also, lol at moving to fv cause your server is empty at mid levels.

DrMaddux
Mar 2, 2012

Sup Buds

jetz0r posted:

The worst part of tank mercs is how they handle root/snare cc and how they always give their back to mobs with multiples.

I never see bards pull aggro off tanks since they can just tap fade to clear themselves as often as needed.

FV transfers aren't free any more and it is not worth paying to transfer level 60s.

Vox seems fairly empty at all levels. Has a bad market and we rarely see anyone else to interact with. Player interaction/reputation were one of the best things about EQ when I started 11 years ago. Really I wish Zek had a better pop, with pvp at all levels. But Ill settle with FV and a decent market.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I'd go for Luclin-Stromm. At least there are a lot of goon characters there. If the test server group doesn't work out (read: sony cuts off their gold membership), all of their characters are from luclin so they will have to go back.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
So i play one test, and I use wineq2 and hotkeynet for boxing, I use wineq2 to rename and launch the windows, and hotkeynet to trigger macros. the problem is without wineq2 my windows freeze up temporarily when switching between them and when zoning (turns all white and says (not responding)) and hotkeynet actually has to swap between windows when firing off macros. This is on Win7.

I've seen a few other test people mention using isboxer, I tried it a long time ago and it didn't prevent the windows freeing up like wineq2 did. Is this something that has been fixed, or is the problem me and not isboxer? does isboxer still require windows swapping to fire off macros or can it do it to background windows? Anyone know a quick way to setup isboxer to run on eq, like a settings file or something?

thanks!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

BJA posted:

So i play one test, and I use wineq2 and hotkeynet for boxing, I use wineq2 to rename and launch the windows, and hotkeynet to trigger macros. the problem is without wineq2 my windows freeze up temporarily when switching between them and when zoning (turns all white and says (not responding)) and hotkeynet actually has to swap between windows when firing off macros. This is on Win7.

I've seen a few other test people mention using isboxer, I tried it a long time ago and it didn't prevent the windows freeing up like wineq2 did. Is this something that has been fixed, or is the problem me and not isboxer? does isboxer still require windows swapping to fire off macros or can it do it to background windows? Anyone know a quick way to setup isboxer to run on eq, like a settings file or something?

thanks!

Are you posting about EQ1 or EQ2? Wineq2 seems to be an EQ2 app.

It didn't take me too long to figure out ISBoxer for EQ1, and swapping between my windows is instantaneous. I'm pretty certain due to the way EQ receives input, all the windows have to be "on top". So I have one big window using the top 3/4 of the screen, and 2 small windows tiled across the bottom (with room for a third window down there if I was 4-boxing). I keep my right hand monitor for surfing the web, etc.

I haven't gotten into doing fancy things with macros in ISBoxer (I'm not certain how to do them - like "Hit F9 to select 4th member, wait .2 seconds, then cast spell Y" - for that I use commands in everquest like /target, /pause, /cast etc.), but it's definitely very easy to set up things like "for as long as I hold B, press forward arrow in my non-main windows" that I use to move my characters forward (helps when trying to autofollow around tight corners).

There's some sort of presettings that ISBoxer comes with for EQ - it tells you to choose "EQ No Patch" or some such on the website.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

jetz0r posted:

And the market on FV is pretty weird due to the no no-drop stuff. There's a TON more variety of items on the bazaar, so I have a lot more fun browsing and hunting for fun weapons for cheap. But there's a ton of inflation, since you can buy and sell raid drops, so you'll see people offering 3M plat for stuff.

Although now that I check Abstruse stuff again, it's not as crazy out of whack as I remembered when I first checked. Like 10k-40k for the higher pieces. But again, for lower level random stuff it's pretty easy to pick up a variety of nice stuff for cheap.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

Devor posted:

Are you posting about EQ1 or EQ2? Wineq2 seems to be an EQ2 app.

Eq1, Wineq2 is for everquest, eq2, wow, and few other games, made by the same people as isboxer but its been around a lot longer.

Devor posted:

It didn't take me too long to figure out ISBoxer for EQ1, and swapping between my windows is instantaneous. I'm pretty certain due to the way EQ receives input, all the windows have to be "on top". So I have one big window using the top 3/4 of the screen, and 2 small windows tiled across the bottom (with room for a third window down there if I was 4-boxing). I keep my right hand monitor for surfing the web, etc.

I took a while off EQ and played WoW, which hotkeynet let you send commands to background windows, so I guess I was just spoiled with that. I'm playing on a laptop so I keep the windows tiled. Hotkeynet just sends a command to bring each window to the front, then press the hotkey, then bring the main window back into focus. only takes like 200ms but it still annoying sometimes. Not sure what the windows freezing up is about but last time I looked on google it was some kind of issue between Win7 and EQ (see here: http://www.monkly-business.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34853)

Devor posted:

I haven't gotten into doing fancy things with macros in ISBoxer (I'm not certain how to do them - like "Hit F9 to select 4th member, wait .2 seconds, then cast spell Y" - for that I use commands in everquest like /target, /pause, /cast etc.), but it's definitely very easy to set up things like "for as long as I hold B, press forward arrow in my non-main windows" that I use to move my characters forward (helps when trying to autofollow around tight corners).

There's some sort of presettings that ISBoxer comes with for EQ - it tells you to choose "EQ No Patch" or some such on the website.

The majority of what I do is use Wineq2/hkn to fire off EQ macros, nothing fancy here either.

WinEQ2 renames the windows (eq1, eq2, eq3, etc) and hkn uses the window names to bring that window into focus, and "press" a key on the keyboard. for example, I press numpad9, it brings each window into focus and presses 9, which has been bound to hotbar1, slot 9. that button on each of my characters is an eq macro which targets my main guy, and follows him.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If you're on Firiona Vie send Zanzabar a tell, I'll be more than happy to help a gooner out. Yes, I will give you money. No, I won't do butt stuff.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Devor posted:

Although now that I check Abstruse stuff again, it's not as crazy out of whack as I remembered when I first checked. Like 10k-40k for the higher pieces. But again, for lower level random stuff it's pretty easy to pick up a variety of nice stuff for cheap.

I used my loyalty points to buy Gold Tickets and sold them to build up a sort of "nest egg" while I was leveling my wizard. You can't buy Bags of Platinum without a gold account, but I sold 2 Gold Tickets and some twink gear in order to buy a full set of wizard abstruse (robe, hat, trousers, gloves, boots, sleeves, and 2 bracers - they are not Lore) for 80k. I'd say that that is a pretty good deal.

I have 4 toons with Abstruse chest items (druid, bard, SK and wizard) and they are all useful, but the wizard Abstruse Manafiber Robe click might be my favourite - it's almost like having a 3rd harvest. It puts an instant-cast rune on the wizard and when it ends, either through absorbing damage or just ending due to time (12 second duration), you get back about 3300 mana. 10 minute cooldown.

I did get a bit of a disappointment with non-visible gear, though. I had an Emerald Ring of Rot (standard 80 caster/priest gear) that casts a HP/Mana regen buff on the wearer, and then I dropped 10k on a Drape of the Ape (shoulders; great name) with a similar effect with a totally different name. I was hoping that they would stack, but sadly they do not.

Pon de Bundy posted:

If you're on Firiona Vie send Zanzabar a tell, I'll be more than happy to help a gooner out. Yes, I will give you money. No, I won't do butt stuff.

In that case, why bother?

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007

Zanzabar posted:

No, I won't do butt stuff.

I think we can dispense with the pretenses here.

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!

DrMaddux posted:

Vox seems fairly empty at all levels. Has a bad market and we rarely see anyone else to interact with. Player interaction/reputation were one of the best things about EQ when I started 11 years ago. Really I wish Zek had a better pop, with pvp at all levels. But Ill settle with FV and a decent market.

There have been a fair number of goons on the guild online recently in the Luclin server guild. Hell, I'll even twink your rear end out with ToV and VP loot if you're in your 60s cause I'm really weird and that's how i get my jollies. Also you should come be part of the One True EQ1 Goon Guild (F everyone that left for test!).

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pon de Bundy posted:

How much butt stuff for for my old voa and replaced rof raid loot?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Creative Bicycle posted:

Also you should come be part of the One True EQ1 Goon Guild (F everyone that left for test!).

You newbie kids get off my lawn :corsair:

I bet you don't even know who Ryantear is or where Ascending Fearboners came from :colbert:

torp0r
Jan 14, 2008
torp0r
rip Ascending Fearboners

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Creative Bicycle posted:

There have been a fair number of goons on the guild online recently in the Luclin server guild. Hell, I'll even twink your rear end out with ToV and VP loot if you're in your 60s cause I'm really weird and that's how i get my jollies. Also you should come be part of the One True EQ1 Goon Guild (F everyone that left for test!).

You got me a level and a half clearing out VP for loot. WOO.

Also, whoever plays Torp, Dorp, Jasc and the SK that let me leech like 175aa's last night, you're my heroes, and I really appreciate it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I forgot about this crazy rear end in a top hat. drat that was funny.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I'm still having a lot of fun on Test, got my Wizard his epic 1.5 last night and am going to get the Ranger's 1.5 too before I head to CoA to get orbs.

BJA posted:

thanks!
Pay up for ISBoxer, you'll love it. ISBoxer can send keys to background windows flawlessly without switching; I use it to 4-box on a single monitor and it kicks rear end. You just have to spend some making the right hotkeys (combined with normal EQ macros/socials), and every time you find yourself switching to another character to do something manually, make a good hotkey/macro for it so you have to do as little switching as possible. It also has key and mouse broadcasting (when enabled), which is awesome for stuff like logging in all your boxes at once, /say'ing something on all chars at once (like teleporting via a Magus), camping all at once, and more. The only reason we raise our brows at the $5 per month fee is because we've become spoiled by the modern $1 AppStore prices. It really is well worth $5 per month.

I can also tell you that using ISBoxer, I can freely switch between Windows while zoning. It works precisely like WoW in "Fullscreen Windowed" mode for me, where you can alt-tab back and forth without it hanging or blocking other windows. Maybe this is what you mean with the window freezing, I'm on also on Win7.

I also highly recommend setting up some comfortable hotkeys for switching between boxes, because alt-tabbing gets clunky. I have these keys setup:

Ctrl+Space: Main box
Alt+1: Second box
Alt+2: Third box
Alt+3: Fourth box

Works very well. If you're "only" dual boxing, just set one key combo to toggle between the Windows instead, as that makes it simpler to swap around.

On top of this, I use the following pattern of modifiers for sending commands to my various boxes:

Ctrl+Shift+X: Second box
Shift+Alt+X: Third box
Ctrl+Alt+X: Fourth box

Try to use the exact same pattern and EQ configuration/hotkey setup on your boxes. For example, make the 1 key (plus modifiers) always send Shift+1 to a given box. I use Shift+1, Shift+2 etc. as keybinding for the most of my various box macros and have them neatly lined up. My shaman makes do with maybe 8 macros/abilities for the most part. Have an assist hotkey in the same hotbar slot (with the same hotkey), make the same key do Canni on a shaman as well as Harvest on a wizard, and so forth. Automation, unification and simplification is the name of the boxing game.

Some other random tips:

- When you make a box macro that does X Y and Z, make the last line (if you can spare it), do a "/g Canni done" for example, timed with /pause. This lets me (on my main monk) see precisely (in group chat) when my shaman has finished casting his Canni, and I can immediately press another macro to make him cast Tiger or a heal for example.
- Make macros for following and stop following. Follow is easy - make a standard macro on all your characters that does /pause 5, /target Mainbox + /follow, bind it to the same key on all boxes, and make an ISBoxer hotkey that sends that key to "All w/o current" (meaning All except currently active window). For stopping follow (nice when dungeon crawling), make an ISboxer hotkey that sends "A" (turns left, which stops following), and configure the hotkey such that it keeps holding down the key on the boxes and not just send it for a millisecond. To do this, check the option "Hold any Keystroke Actions while Hotkey is held" on the Keymap.
- Invest AAs in group utility spells such as group lev and group invis if you have them, and hotkey them. With my shaman's perma lev and wizard's perma invis I can travel anywhere. Also try to sync run speeds via AA or fast mounts so you can just keep running on your main without losing your boxes.

I admit I haven't truly 4-boxed yet in challenging content (just finished getting my two new boxes to lvl 80 with 1000AA), but tonight I'll try to do some HoT missions and try it out for real, even though the lvl 80's nuking and shooting will not really be contributing due to resists. With so many boxes, it becomes really important to spend some doing making some good, all-in-one and simple macros with corresponding hotkeys, or it gets too tedious. Also pick your priorities - I intend to fully drop dotting and dps'ing with my shaman, as my concentration will be ten times better spent nuking on the wizard and burning with my ranger.

The only criticism I have is that the ISBoxer configuration GUI is way confusing, much more than it should be. I suspect they put this auto-generated GUI tree structure upon an existing data structure, and it's really confusing at first, but you get used to it. After you've setup the basics, all you need to visit is Keymaps section, which is where the magic happens.

Edit: This became kinda long, but feel free to post and ask if any of you have questions or need suggestions to solve some common problems with boxing. :)

DrMaddux
Mar 2, 2012

Sup Buds
Ive been wanting to try multiboxing, does isboxer still have the issue with bad /follow characteristics? Or is that just something with EQ and not having one screen minimized?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

DrMaddux posted:

Ive been wanting to try multiboxing, does isboxer still have the issue with bad /follow characteristics? Or is that just something with EQ and not having one screen minimized?

I remember seeing some reference to this - something about turn rates with autofollow maybe, and being based on CPU cycles? One of the settings that you do with the setup wizard in ISBoxer is determine how CPU time is allocated (and if you tell it that you're playing EQ it has a recommended setting for you), I think to help address this issue. I use /follow and don't really have issues, you just have to learn how to use /follow. Like, don't turn it on while your followers are far away and not facing you, because they'll make a big looping turn to try to find you, and be more likely to get stuck on geometry or just keep running circles around you. And lord help you if you make that mistake in Blackfeather Roost Mesas (I did all the quests except queen there and only lost my followers to the fall once).

What I found very helpful was having a key - B for me - mapped to my followers up arrow (moving forward does not break /follow, just pushes you toward the leader) that I used to great effect when navigating the tight double-90-degree turns in the Hole's temple. You move the leader to the back of the first corner while holding down B, wait half a sec for the followers to catch up, move to the second corner while you keep it help down, then just move on as normal and your followers are with you. It works because followers will turn on a dime to face you if they are close, but turn while moving if they are further away. So you make sure they're pushed onto the spot you want them to turn on.

It also helps for positioning during fights - normally I walk my SK to the mob's back, turn on autoattack, hold B which causes the bard to basically stand on top of my SK, then take a baby step forward with my SK, causing the bard to turn to look at the SK, and thus the mob's back. It keeps me from having to move my SK reaaally far back and out of range to put my bard where I want him.

DrMaddux
Mar 2, 2012

Sup Buds
Ill have to give that a try this weekend, been wanting to do a bard/ranger box. Thanks for the advice.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there any sort of written guide to setting up ISboxer? I'd love to try it out for my 3box (thinking about adding a 4th) but I feel like I would be completely lost. I have enough trouble setting up basic macros in EQ.

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!

RCarr posted:

Is there any sort of written guide to setting up ISboxer? I'd love to try it out for my 3box (thinking about adding a 4th) but I feel like I would be completely lost. I have enough trouble setting up basic macros in EQ.

I know back in the old thread MrTheDevious wrote up a really nice guide that got me started on it. I was a holdout for a long time too, and although you can really do without it on a 2 box, it makes an insane difference on a 3+ box setup. People like saying it's really easy to set up and get started but that's really a little skewed because it only really feels that way once you've gotten accostomed to it. However, after the initial learning curve of a day or so fiddling with it you'll wonder how you made due before. In addition I've not had any problems with the follow characteristics (in fact its better than standard multiboxing) unless I've got general latency issues. Give it a try and stay persistent with getting the setup you'd like to use.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

http://isboxer.com/wiki/EQ1:Quick_Start_Guide and http://isboxer.com/wiki/Key_Map should get you started. Use the Wizard to get started and you really should be going. Then just fiddle around the UI and google every time you're in doubt.

DrMaddux posted:

As said that's a matter of EQ, but it always sounds strange to me when people complain about /follow, as it works just fine for me. It's laggy for sure, but you just have to get used to it. The characters that follow only start moving when you get a set distance away from them, will turn to face you, and when navigating corners, try to "slam into walls" as you run to give your followers a bit of leeway. Your followers will slide along walls until they reach the corner, so to speak. Also, if a box is really stuck but still hooked on following you, you can very often switch to them and simply use mouselook to get them zoomed back on track.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

RCarr posted:

As said, it's not that hard. And there's a free 7-day trial to find out if it works for you. If you really hate it, you lost a couple hours that spent fiddling with it and that's all.

One thing that I also did was unbind the Combat Art hotkeys (Ctrl+#), and rebind those keypresses to the Second Hotbar in EQ. (I was even fancy, and did the rebinding on all 3 at once using the rebroadcast feature - just need to make sure your windows are lined up).

A list of early milestones if you want some guidance - generally these will use macros, but a couple might not need to:

Create your "team" using the wizard in ISBoxer, and succesfully log in to all 3 at once.

Create a keybind for the nonactive windows to target your "leader", and /follow him

Create a keybind for the nonactive windows to hold down "left turn" or "back" while the keybind is held down, to stop the autofollow.

Figure out the buttons in the upper left (created by the wizard) that toggle Keybinds On/Off, and toggle Rebroadcast On/Off, and what they do.

Try to move your team together using Rebroadcast and discover that it will never, ever work for anything further than 10 feet.

Practice (in a safe area) using autofollowing around corners to see how it works.

Create a keybind for the nonactive windows to target your leader, and /assist

Create a keybind for one of your nonactive windows to cast a spell that they'll use a lot - like a nuke, or a group buff.

I can't really think of anything else complicated about this. Once you do that stuff, you have the skills to make your characters do whatever.

And a few more complicated issues to keep in mind:
If you set up a keybind that broadcasts something when you press C, that "C" press is intercepted from your main window. So if you were chatting (or responding to quest text from an npc) those letters are omitted. As a workaround you can have that keybind also broadcast that letter to your current window - but it broadcasts with a tiny delay that I can't get rid of, so if you type fast, the word "attack" turns into "attakc". I like having my keybinds within reach of my left hand, so I just learn to toggle Keybinds on/off when I type.

Having your squadmates' views pitched slightly up/down causes havoc when levitating or swimming - creating a keybind for "center view" and maybe pitching view up/down is on my to-do list. I had one catastrophe with my shaman (who earlier had looked down to loot) levitating downwards away from the bard travel song, falling into a camp of reds, and splatting. Rebroadcast can also work for adjusting pitch for swimming, etc. If you thought you hated drowning in Sonic the Hedgehog, try chasing a fleeing frog through water in Old Sebilis with characters with no swimming skill, on autofollow, who are failing to follow you up/down through the water. And your guys are running out of air. And you're lost.

DrMaddux
Mar 2, 2012

Sup Buds
When you box do you usually have your other accounts attack? Or do you just give them a dps merc and use them for the buffs?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

DrMaddux posted:

When you box do you usually have your other accounts attack? Or do you just give them a dps merc and use them for the buffs?

I have Shadowknight, Bard, and Shaman - SK and Bard attack, and Shaman just does Haste, Bihli, and Puma buffs right now. Theoretically he'll graduate to also doing slows / dots / spot healing, but for now he's mostly just buffbot. Bard sings Haste v2, Damage Shield, and Selo's. Also has Haste v3 aura. Since the shaman is mostly doing nothing, he can be out of combat for regen more often. If I wasn't practicing my weapon skills on the bard, and didn't have the puma buff, I would probably ignore trying to have the bard autoattack. But even with lowish autos, PCs proc puma a ton.

Right now I'm using Tank, Rogue, and Healer mercs. At Level 66, with no AAs, each merc WAY outdamages the real players. Even with a decent weapon and the skill maxed. I did some soloing in Howling Stones with my shadowknight and cleric merc to practice some defensive skills, and it was ridiculous how slow he was killing stuff.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?
I am on the last day of the trial and I will definitely throw money at isboxer. I have a bard/ranger/rogue on follow while I play my SK, and I have my SK bash button also do the following on the othe boxes: banestrike, ranger nukes, backstab, kick, etc. I absolutely tear through content in hot zones and was earning about 75 AA per xp pot per toon over double xp weekend on the test server (in a 6 PC group).

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

DrMaddux posted:

I take no responsibility if you listen to me and get banned (you won't), but if you're 3-4 boxing and willing to spend the $ on ISBoxer, you might as well drop $5 on MacroQuest too. After a couple hours configuring everything, I had a setup where my Monk/Bard/Sham were 100% automated and acted like Mercs only perfect. I could pull a mob with the SK and just do my SK thing while the monk and bard worked their way through all of their abilities/songs, the Sham kept Lion/slow/buffs/etc up, group healed if more than 1 person was hurting, fast healed if the cleric merc couldn't keep up. If I had an add, the bard would keep it auto-mezzed until the SK targeted it instead while still keeping a secondary melody going and attacking the main target. You can configure burn setups so you press a button and all of a sudden all 4 characters are burn rotationing, the /stick works flawlessly even around tiny corners instead of relying on EQ's /follow, you can set up characters to auto-loot mobs and even have them ignore certain drops that're worthless....

Basically anything you can come up with some sort of criteria for, you can script and automate. Also you get to see where every mob in the entire zone is the minute it pops, including filtering only for nameds.

A certain person who isn't me who I won't name managed to set up a fully automated box group that grinded for AA totally alone while he was asleep.

I would never play this game again without MQ2. It labels the dangerous/will-get-you-banned poo poo and makes you check a huge ARE YOU SURE button before any of it's enabled, plus once you see how MQ2 works, you'll realize half the groups you run past on Luclin are actually MQ automated. Nobody ever gets banned unless you use it for the stupid poo poo like warp. I know of at least 4 of us who used it in the way I described above for 2+ years daily and never heard a peep about it. If any of you guys remember that crazy Fabled Agnarr raid we did last year where we wiped a few times then it suddenly went flawlessly, it was because a couple of us turned on MQ2 after that second wipe :v:

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
After many tells, I can confirm that I will do butt stuff. Rip to Ryantear, Gnonotmybutt, and all the other fallen. Ascending fearboners, the sixboxers, shout out to all those who couldn't make it because gently caress everquest(amen)

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Is the $5 for VIP access then? From what I read you get the feeling they want at least $10 instead.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MrTheDevious posted:

I take no responsibility if you listen to me and get banned (you won't), but if you're 3-4 boxing and willing to spend the $ on ISBoxer, you might as well drop $5 on MacroQuest too. After a couple hours configuring everything, I had a setup where my Monk/Bard/Sham were 100% automated and acted like Mercs only perfect. I could pull a mob with the SK and just do my SK thing while the monk and bard worked their way through all of their abilities/songs, the Sham kept Lion/slow/buffs/etc up, group healed if more than 1 person was hurting, fast healed if the cleric merc couldn't keep up. If I had an add, the bard would keep it auto-mezzed until the SK targeted it instead while still keeping a secondary melody going and attacking the main target. You can configure burn setups so you press a button and all of a sudden all 4 characters are burn rotationing, the /stick works flawlessly even around tiny corners instead of relying on EQ's /follow, you can set up characters to auto-loot mobs and even have them ignore certain drops that're worthless....

Basically anything you can come up with some sort of criteria for, you can script and automate. Also you get to see where every mob in the entire zone is the minute it pops, including filtering only for nameds.

A certain person who isn't me who I won't name managed to set up a fully automated box group that grinded for AA totally alone while he was asleep.

I would never play this game again without MQ2. It labels the dangerous/will-get-you-banned poo poo and makes you check a huge ARE YOU SURE button before any of it's enabled, plus once you see how MQ2 works, you'll realize half the groups you run past on Luclin are actually MQ automated. Nobody ever gets banned unless you use it for the stupid poo poo like warp. I know of at least 4 of us who used it in the way I described above for 2+ years daily and never heard a peep about it. If any of you guys remember that crazy Fabled Agnarr raid we did last year where we wiped a few times then it suddenly went flawlessly, it was because a couple of us turned on MQ2 after that second wipe :v:

I need this. So sick of switching between my sk and necro or bard or whatever whatever over and over, distracting me and making me play one of them half assed while I tab back and forth. All the god drat necro has to do is dot and wash his hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

It was really bad when Ghost Kill (no delay) was in the game, but god drat wasn't that fun.

After playing the game straight up, on and off for years, getting that toolset made it all fun again in a vengeful sort of way.

Doing a year and a half worth of Anguish raids in the span of about a week.

AFK Grinding from 72-80 in the roaming robot zone. Checking in before work, a GM hops into our camp, probably wondering why the instance was still up. He Gnomed us all and left.

If the $Zone_ID changed to anything other than the robot zone's (we died, instance shut down), we would warp to the succor loc and camp out.

It got to the point where we were writing scripts and plugins, almost a game within the game.

I haven't played with MQ for a long time but the Bot Command server was kind of amazing. Would warp a group all over VP to preset areas when the revamped dragons spawned into drakes and all that. It almost came down to what you could imagine to get around something with just you and a few friends.