Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

uptown posted:

:monocle: How could you tell? Is "maturation" a Canadianism?

I will soon! He's having a few days' sleepover at my mom's place - I'm house sitting for my boyfriend and his dog isn't very nice to other dogs, especially rambunctious puppies. He'll be back with me on Saturday, just in time to get loved on. We're having the pre-party to a friend's going-away at my house, and people go crazy for Shanti, even those who aren't "dog people."

A picture to tide you over:

E: Is it my slightly less Canadian "hey" rather than "eh"?

Wanna use dat dawg for a blanket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I have a question for you guys... I'm wondering if this is common with large breeds or dogs in general or if my guy is just a nut.

First off when I give him a beef bone he happy dances, ie) pounces all around it, picks it up in his mouth and throws it up in the air before bounding over to it and continuing to happy dance.

I don't have any recent video, but this is him as a puppy happy dancing and it's pretty much the same thing even though he's 10 times this size now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSsN6C0ISYA

He also sometimes will not eat it and just go and hide it... usually in the couch, and quite expertly I may add. Last night he hid his bone so well that I had to stealthily follow him around until he went to the couch and got it. When I tried to find it beforehand I couldn't, so yes, the dog outsmarting me is a regular occurrence.

I guess if I let him outside he'd probably bury it, and dogs burying bones definitely isn't unheard of now that I think about it, but whether he eats it right away or lets it "marinate" in the couch for a while is completely random.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
My old dog did the exact same thing, exclusively with animal bones. When we bought him his first for Christmas, we heard him pouncing and bouncing around for about three hours. We never saw it again.

I dunno if it's just our dogs that are weird like that; we need more hard evidence, testimonies, and videos. :3:

Balassvar
Dec 6, 2011
Our puppies... not exactly monsters, but still good sized boys.

Bringing "Titan" home at 9 weeks as a Christmas gift for my wife. Papers say Japanese Akita, but he has an American head and markings.

My Pit/Lab Mix "Voodoo" being a lazy bum.

Titan enjoys lots of pillows

Voodoos first time sharing the bed

Voodoo giving me the staredown

Titan learning how to tie knots

Both of the boys passed out after a 2 mile walk in the park.

Titan is now 2 years 3 months and weighs 105lbs. Voodoo is 4 1/2, and weighs 90lbs.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

I'm gonna post my family's BIG Ol' DOG

This is our predecessor BIG OL' DOG. His name was Jack and he was a shepherd. He weighed in at about 120lbs, and was the most well behaved, chilled out dog I've ever met.

He died about a year and a half ago and basically was so awesome that we went back to the same breeder and managed to snag a relative of his (I believe his great-great nephew or something). Meet Logan:

Logan is currently somewhere between 80-90lbs but he's expected to hit about 130. He's too smart for his own good (he's got a rebellious streak) but he's also a cuddle monster. The biggest lapdog ever. Also he can operate doorknobs despite not having opposable thumbs.

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009
Giant lurchers are the best :colbert:

edit: Arg how do I share photos

Seabhac fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 18, 2013

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Wanted: Ridiculous Dog

Charges?

1. Stealing from a baby. In addition to the cookie monster, she stole his teddy bear.

2. Sleeping on the only white couch in the house :argh:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Writer Cath posted:

2. Sleeping on the only white couch in the house :argh:

Pictured: The reason I have a black couch. :3:

uptown
May 16, 2009
Nothing compares to the terror in other peoples' eyes after Shantilal drinks water and is coming at them. Houseguests now get a dishtowel handed to them upon entry with the warning "keep this with you at all times."

Also, it's amazing what you can get used to when you love someone... I used to hate drool. Hate it. But now that I have Shanti, I am pretty over it. Yeah, sometimes drool will get on my pants, or my bedsheets when he comes to say hi in the morning, but whatever. Not a big deal anymore, just kind of gross.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

uptown posted:

Nothing compares to the terror in other peoples' eyes after Shantilal drinks water and is coming at them. Houseguests now get a dishtowel handed to them upon entry with the warning "keep this with you at all times."

Also, it's amazing what you can get used to when you love someone... I used to hate drool. Hate it. But now that I have Shanti, I am pretty over it. Yeah, sometimes drool will get on my pants, or my bedsheets when he comes to say hi in the morning, but whatever. Not a big deal anymore, just kind of gross.

Interesting - I remember you posted earlier that Shanti didn't drool that much. Has that changed as he's gotten older?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

You guys are slackin on the big dogs pics! :)

Here's Archer riding in my Jeep! My girlfriend was following behind me and he was keeping an eye on her.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Please don't let your dog have a huge area where it can get out of a moving vehicle, man. Even if he's never done it before, it's entirely possible something will catch his attention. Even if he's tethered in, he could break that tether if he really wanted to because he's a great dane. Or if you wreck, he's probably really, really screwed.

I know it sounds silly, but there's a whole lot of dogs that die every year because they jump out of a moving car or get pitched out of them and Archer is way too cute to be one of them. :smith:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Please don't let your dog have a huge area where it can get out of a moving vehicle, man. Even if he's never done it before, it's entirely possible something will catch his attention. Even if he's tethered in, he could break that tether if he really wanted to because he's a great dane. Or if you wreck, he's probably really, really screwed.

I know it sounds silly, but there's a whole lot of dogs that die every year because they jump out of a moving car or get pitched out of them and Archer is way too cute to be one of them. :smith:

Normally he's lays down in the back, and I always have a hold on his lease, but yeah I hear what you're saying.

uptown
May 16, 2009

Petey posted:

Interesting - I remember you posted earlier that Shanti didn't drool that much. Has that changed as he's gotten older?

Nah, still the same kinda thing. He drools whiles eating and drinking, so right after he does, I have to towel him off.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Quoting for truth. We had a client at work (dog daycare) who always drove with her window open and her dog was always fine. Until one day when she was driving into our parking lot, the dog got excited, jumped out the window and she ended up hitting her own dog with the car. He had back issues for a while but recovered... and then I saw her driving down the main road in town with the window open, dog sticking his head out again. I kind of blame the whole "Nothing is happier than a dog with his head out the window!" attitude people seem to have. Don't be this person. Learn before a bad thing happens, because yes, Archer is way too cute to be one of the unlucky ones.

Also, another thing you can do to keep Archer safe is to post more photos of him. :3:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

cryingscarf posted:

Quoting for truth. We had a client at work (dog daycare) who always drove with her window open and her dog was always fine. Until one day when she was driving into our parking lot, the dog got excited, jumped out the window and she ended up hitting her own dog with the car. He had back issues for a while but recovered... and then I saw her driving down the main road in town with the window open, dog sticking his head out again. I kind of blame the whole "Nothing is happier than a dog with his head out the window!" attitude people seem to have. Don't be this person. Learn before a bad thing happens, because yes, Archer is way too cute to be one of the unlucky ones.

Also, another thing you can do to keep Archer safe is to post more photos of him. :3:

Got the message guys thanks :)

Ask and ye shall receive!

The g/f made a giant bed for Gracie, but Archer seems to like it too. When we are in our living room Archer usually sits on the couch leaving Gracie no where to sit, so now Gracie can hang in the living room with us and have her own bed.

This is what happens when they are left alone and decide the couch is theirs!

uptown
May 16, 2009
They are super cute. I love Gracie's colouring so much.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Snow day picture dump! :buddy:

SSSSSNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!

snowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnow :derp:

Sage pretends that she doesn't like to play in the snow.

But she's not fooling anyone.

Ozzie makes an attempt at looking dignified.

D'oh. Almost there, buddy. :doh:

Headin' down the hill.

But tired coming back up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsZZDEJUuJo

uptown
May 16, 2009
I just adore Great Danes so much because of this thread :3:

"Leave it"

Blue steel

I just find his tongue hanging out of the side of his mouth hilarious. Sorry for the grainy quality on this one, I was using the front-facing camera on my iphone with lovely lighting.

Holy shitballs, my dog is huge. Went over to my mom's place for a playdate yesterday and took this.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

mattfl posted:

The g/f made a giant bed for Gracie, but Archer seems to like it too. When we are in our living room Archer usually sits on the couch leaving Gracie no where to sit, so now Gracie can hang in the living room with us and have her own bed.

What kind of design was used there for the bed, if you don't mind me asking?

My wife makes blankets like that on occasion and Linus keeps outgrowing whatever bed we get for him. It'd be a lot nicer to just make one for him instead.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Thwomp posted:

What kind of design was used there for the bed, if you don't mind me asking?

My wife makes blankets like that on occasion and Linus keeps outgrowing whatever bed we get for him. It'd be a lot nicer to just make one for him instead.

It's something she found on pinterest. It's just two large pieces of fabric, a bunch of stuffing and then you cut 2 inch lines all the way around and tie it in knots. I think it took her all of 30 minutes and like $10 to do.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

uptown posted:

I just adore Great Danes so much because of this thread :3:

"Leave it"

Blue steel

I just find his tongue hanging out of the side of his mouth hilarious. Sorry for the grainy quality on this one, I was using the front-facing camera on my iphone with lovely lighting.

Holy shitballs, my dog is huge. Went over to my mom's place for a playdate yesterday and took this.

I really wish I had the room for a newfie, because your dog is adorable

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

text editor posted:

I really wish I had the room for a newfie, because your dog is adorable

I'm planning out my post-graduate life in advance specifically to accommodate my hypothetical newfie, thanks in no small part to Shanti and his magnificent jowls. :3:

Uptown - Is Shanti particularly destructive? I've heard that newfies are demon puppies (well, on par with Labradors, but bigger and harder to contain) and just destroy everything, but reports vary. It doesn't really matter because he's the best thing in the world regardless, but I was just curious.

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 5, 2013

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

uptown posted:

Is the dog next to Shanti Lab-sized? He's enormous. :3:

uptown
May 16, 2009
Avshalom - Shanti isn't too bad... I think nearly everything he's destroyed has been my fault - Left a pair of boots out, he murdered them. Left food in a bowl on the table and he smashed the bowl trying to eat my oatmeal, stuff like that. The worst part about him being a very young puppy was that he was extremely bitey and got overstimulated easily, so sometimes even a few pets would earn you a row of needle-teeth to the hand. Now that he's git his bite inhibition, if he play bites it's very gentle, and if he's getting upset with me, he just kind of... opens his mouth at me. Doesn't bare his teeth, doesn't snap or growl... just opens his mouth like, "Hey mum, please stop :(." Crating him as a puppy was great, but now that he's a little older I give him free reign over the house when I'm gone. As long as he has lots of toys and I don't leave, like, a sandwich out, I come home to a house that isn't destroyed.

McDragon - Yep, that dog next to Shanti is a 5 year old Golden Retriever. I remember when he used to look big to me... So strange now.

Shanti has a sinus infection right now, so I've been giving him saline to loosen his boogers... Poor guy hates it so much. I've mastered doing it by myself now, I just have to let him back himself into a corner and go quickly from there. I feel terrible whenever I have to do it, he gets so upset with me for a few minutes.

mrae
Feb 6, 2013
This is my neighbor's Dane, who is also a Gracie, hanging out on the couch. She regularly sits like this and watches TV.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

mrae posted:

This is my neighbor's Dane, who is also a Gracie, hanging out on the couch. She regularly sits like this and watches TV.

Truly they are among the most noble and majestic of dogs.

That dog is hilarious and adorable.

uptown
May 16, 2009
Shanti update: This weekend he has finally realized that he is an enormous, tall dog and can jump on the bed with no effort at all. Before, he would try to drag himself up and I would be supporting his back legs if I saw him doing it, because it looked pretty precarious and I don't want to have any injuries happening on my watch. He's still eating 6 cups of food a day, not growing too fast anymore, and probably weighs about 140lbs. I'll get my bf to weigh him next time he's over. He still loves to kiss, but also is obsessed with my vagina - He loves my panties and I can't leave them on the floor unless I want them gnawed on. I also have to kick him out into the yard when I shower, because my bathroom door doesn't latch properly and he can just barrel right on into my shower, Also, he is officially a disgusting, wet-mouthed Newfie. I love him tons and tons, but ewwww Shanti not my black pants :gonk:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

uptown posted:

Shanti update: This weekend he has finally realized that he is an enormous, tall dog and can jump on the bed with no effort at all. Before, he would try to drag himself up and I would be supporting his back legs if I saw him doing it, because it looked pretty precarious and I don't want to have any injuries happening on my watch. He's still eating 6 cups of food a day, not growing too fast anymore, and probably weighs about 140lbs. I'll get my bf to weigh him next time he's over. He still loves to kiss, but also is obsessed with my vagina - He loves my panties and I can't leave them on the floor unless I want them gnawed on. I also have to kick him out into the yard when I shower, because my bathroom door doesn't latch properly and he can just barrel right on into my shower, Also, he is officially a disgusting, wet-mouthed Newfie. I love him tons and tons, but ewwww Shanti not my black pants :gonk:

Get him some stairs so he doesn't push himself too much. Also get him a ramp for the car. Most male dogs love vagina so yeah, keep your panties away but you should be able to teach him not to get his face all in that.

:3: How big are the drool ropes?

Balen apparently had some that were too big or something because Amy flopped right down in front of him, put her paws over his front paws and started cleaning his face for him. Her tail was wagging so hard, man.

uptown
May 16, 2009
Haha hey Fluffy Bunnies, I took this for you last night. These drool ropes normally end up deposited on my shoulders or, if I'm lucky, my pant legs.

Along with my panties, he loves to lick ears - Mine, Aussie's, Clover's... I'm sure he would love to lick Fussy's too, if Fussy wasn't such a crazy bastard. I have never had a dog go for my vag before, it's... definitely something. My boyfriend's male greyhound had no interest in laundry or anything of the sort, and he didn't like water too much so I could shower with the door wide open. Not so much with a Newfie and a Golden, hah.

Ninja edit: Oh yeah and he shows me his penis a lot. A. Lot.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I know an Aussie who will muzzle punch your vag when he gets excited. Found that delightful behaviour quirk out the hard way.

uptown
May 16, 2009
Ha! The greyhound(s, but Ernie has passed away) like(d) to stick their muzzles in between Troy's legs. Fine when he's got pants on, totally not fine when they're trying to put his balls on their heads.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

uptown posted:

My boyfriend's male greyhound had no interest in laundry or anything of the sort, and he didn't like water too much so I could shower with the door wide open. Not so much with a Newfie and a Golden, hah.

My Newf sticks his alien tongue under the shower door and drinks the water running down it. Soapy, shampooey, he gives no fucks.

He also has a habit of walking up to me and headbutting my dick and staying there when he wants a pat.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
itt i've learned that newfies are sex offenders.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

:cool:

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 19, 2013

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
Tali isn't a giant dog but she's bigger than her breed standard at 71 lbs. Saluki females supposedly top out around 45-50lbs. And you can see she's not fat. Maybe some Borzoi got in there at some point along her ancestry.
Here she is as a puppy.

Here she is with her younger sister Cleo; She belongs to my parents.

And finally, being graceful and dignified at the beach.

I finally got her papers to compete in AKC coursing events. We've been taking her to a local one that is an 'all dogs welcome' type deal. I'd be fine with that but the course is kind of small. The people at the AKC thing I went to kinda sucked though. She still pulled a best in field ribbon.
I've got video around here somewhere, I'll try to get it uploaded.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:neckbeard: I remember you mentioning Tali on Gtube! She's such a pretty girl!

Oh man, look at that fluppy face and all that drip. :3:

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
Well I have no idea what happened to the video I had of her at the lure coursing event, but heres a couple new photos.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Ramps were mentioned - I bought one for Husker after his amputation, and he refused to even attempt it. I've still got it lying around the house. I'm out of the country for a while, but when I get back, I would love to pass it along to someone whose dog might use it.

Should I post again in here when I'm back in the States and have access to it?

It's rated for up to 200 lbs and folds up to about the size of a carry-on suitcase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

How wide is it? Though I'm sure someone would be happy to have it.

Husband just flat out built one for the danes. Whenever the carpet gets tacked down on it I'll get a picture of them using it.