Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

IfIWereARichMan posted:

What spices and seasoning go into (making) corned beef? I want to do a tempeh reuben, and the vegan blogs are very disheartening - soy sauce, cardamom, and beet juice :confused:

Chicago Diner is an all vegan restaurant that makes an absolutely killer reuben with seitan: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/radical-reuben/ Haven't tried making it myself but have always wanted to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Is there a reliable way for determining whether avocados are good or not? I know about checking under the stem bit to see if it's green or brown, and obviously anything too squishy is no go, but are there any other tricks?

Also, what are some good dishes for helping someone who dislikes eggs to get used to them? I know it's possible, because I hated eggs for my entire life until the age of 23, when I started having to eat them out of necessity (only vegetarian option available to me where I was living/working at the time) and I want to get my husband on board because they're cheap and a good source of protein. I was thinking tortillas espanol to start...

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Is there any reason I can't let some chicken ready for sous vide sit in the fridge overnight? Got the drat things sealed with basil, salt, and pepper, then realized my new thermometer is DOA; I suspect it's just the battery, but I can't be assed to run out and get a new one tonight.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
I've got 1/2 lb beef chorizo and 1/2 lb ground beef. How do I turn these into delicious meatballs? Or really anything? I've not cooked with chorizo before, don't wanna waste the flavors.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bringmyfishback posted:

Is there a reliable way for determining whether avocados are good or not? I know about checking under the stem bit to see if it's green or brown, and obviously anything too squishy is no go, but are there any other tricks?

If it's just a bit soft, it's good to go. If it's hard, it's unripe; if you can stick your thumb through it it's no good. Avocados have a very short "ripe" time period.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

Chili sounds kinda ambitious for a lousy chef like me. I saw a recipe for enchiladas that looked good.

Nahhh. Here's how you make chili: Brown aromatic things in some neutral oil (garlic, onion, etc). Then when they smell awesome, add meats and brown them. If you have too many meats to brown all at once, do it in batches. Then add tomatoes, cumin, some sort of spicy pepper thing (actual peppers? powders? whatever). Then add whatever kind of veggies you want. I like beans in my chili because like I said they fill out the macros well, and freeze just fine. However, if you like them whole and separate you should add them soon before eating because they tend to break up from long cooking. I actually like that so I add one can of beans at first, and one can of beans later. Anyhow, make sure this whole mix is at a simmer, which means that bubbles are coming to the surface every now and again but it's not at a rolling boil. Stir every now and again. When the chili is at the consistency you like (depending on how much liquidy stuff you added, this will take probably at least one hour and possibly two hours+), salt to taste. Don't worry if the chili tastes like poo poo before adding salt, and don't add salt early because then it will reduce and be too salty.

Enchiladas actually sound way more ambitious to me. And I'm very suspicious of an enchilada recipe that uses ground meat. :raise:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

bringmyfishback posted:

Also, what are some good dishes for helping someone who dislikes eggs to get used to them? I know it's possible, because I hated eggs for my entire life until the age of 23, when I started having to eat them out of necessity (only vegetarian option available to me where I was living/working at the time) and I want to get my husband on board because they're cheap and a good source of protein. I was thinking tortillas espanol to start...

Julia Child's French-style Omelette got me to enjoy eggs, which I disliked all growing up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sopping up runny egg yolks with toast like it was a sauce is what got me over the "cook eggs until vulcanized rubber" impulse.

Come to think of it, eggs benedict is similarly awesome.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If it's just a bit soft, it's good to go. If it's hard, it's unripe; if you can stick your thumb through it it's no good. Avocados have a very short "ripe" time period.

So I noticed. I was given one that was rock hard on Monday and by Wednesday it was basically playdoh.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Yehudis Basya posted:

I've got 1/2 lb beef chorizo and 1/2 lb ground beef. How do I turn these into delicious meatballs? Or really anything? I've not cooked with chorizo before, don't wanna waste the flavors.

Get the casing off the chorizo, mix with the ground beef, then make meatballs as usual. If I remember correctly, chorizo is pretty good at falling apart, so it shouldn't be too hard to mix in with other stuff.

Also, thank you to everyone who gave me avocado advice/egg suggestions. I welcome more tips!

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER

bringmyfishback posted:

Get the casing off the chorizo, mix with the ground beef, then make meatballs as usual. If I remember correctly, chorizo is pretty good at falling apart, so it shouldn't be too hard to mix in with other stuff.

Oy- that much I had garnered on my own. Allow me to rephrase- are there any chorizo meatball recipes in particular that anyone recommends?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What do you do to add fat to pork for making breakfast sausages and the like? Just buy lard and grind it in? It seems like you'd get chunks of sausage without fat and some with tons of fat... and repeated grinding/mixing is bad for the meat, isn't it?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Yehudis Basya posted:

Oy- that much I had garnered on my own. Allow me to rephrase- are there any chorizo meatball recipes in particular that anyone recommends?

Guess I misread your post. I'm terribly sorry.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Are there any good crock pot steel cut oats recipes? I've tried a few I've found just from googling and they all turn out with a really odd texture. It's a 2qt crock pot so I'm usually having to do adjustments for it to fit.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes

bringmyfishback posted:

Also, thank you to everyone who gave me avocado advice/egg suggestions. I welcome more tips!

You can incorporate some of that chorizo into an egg dish... Spanish style baked eggs. Basically what I do is canned tomatoes, sliced chorizo, some cannellini beans, garlic, onion, paprika, cumin, cayenne. Sweat your garlic and onions, toss in the beans, tomatoes, paprika, cumin, and cayenne to taste, season with salt and pepper, and cook until it starts to come together. Add this to a ramekin, crack an egg over top, put some more chorizo or ham on top if you want, and grate some hard cheese on it. Bake at around 350 for 8 minutes or so. If you used all the chorizo in your meatballs you can use ham as a substitute.

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!

dis astranagant posted:

So I noticed. I was given one that was rock hard on Monday and by Wednesday it was basically playdoh.

There are ways to game the process, though. Unripe avocados can be placed in a paper bag with an apple or banana to speed up ripening. On the opposite end, if you have an avocado that's just about ripe but you're not ready to use it, putting it in the fridge can slow down the ripening process and give you a couple days of leeway.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

bringmyfishback posted:

I also need help with this. As I recall, we had some tortilla de patata at a tapas place once which my partner... Didn't hate, but certainly didn't like that much. But that's it, he has it in his mind that he despises all forms of egg (other than when they're in something like cake, pasta etc) and even my cheesiest omelette hasn't helped so far. It's disappointing because eggs are loving brilliant.

In other news, and for no reason other than I have nobody else to say it to, we got given a rice cooker for Christmas and I used it for the first time last night and oh god, it was so good. gently caress ceramic hobs, gently caress them so hard. It was fantastic to have nice rice for the first time in well over a year. It ended up on the 'stay warm' setting for about 10 minutes though because of a timing error and the very bottom of the rice went a little bit crispy. It wasn't unpleasant, but if I have to keep the rice warm for a while at some other point then I was wondering if I should add just a splash more water to stop it from getting worse?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Would cooked spaghetti squash respond well to being frozen/reheated? We love having it as a veg/side or combined with other stuff, but the squash is so big that we always end up with too much. Also it takes time to prepare it well so I figured if I could have it ready to go from the freezer that would rock.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

LTBS posted:

Are there any good crock pot steel cut oats recipes? I've tried a few I've found just from googling and they all turn out with a really odd texture. It's a 2qt crock pot so I'm usually having to do adjustments for it to fit.
Are you putting the oats directly into the crock pot? That would probably explain the texture if so. The way I do them (which has never failed me yet) is to put whatever recipe you use in a bowl, put the bowl in the crock pot, and fill about 1/3 - 1/2 of the way up the outside with water.

Makes it much easier to clean, too.

Thei
Apr 17, 2012

Won't somebody think of the tentacles?!

Yehudis Basya posted:

There aren't any meatball recipes with chorizo in, as far as I'm aware from my experience with Spanish food. I can only imagine that due to the usually high fat content of it, it would make the meatballs disintegrate in the cooking process. I could be wrong though.

I personally would recommend making meatballs as normal, maybe with a splash of sherry in to give it a little something different. Then make a tomato sauce for them, where you gently fry off bits of the chorizo to give the sauce the smoky paprika flavour that it usually imparts, along with some garlic. Add some blitzed roasted red pepper and a splash of white wine (cooked off properly) to intensify the Mediterranean flavours.

Hope that helps.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Yehudis Basya posted:

Do you mean Mexican or Spanish chorizo? I'm assuming Mexican. Here's what I would do:

Remove from casing. Mix with plain ground pork. Chorizo, as mentioned, is very greasy, and is very strongly flavored to just munch on big chunks of in meatball form. I would start 50/50 chorizo to ground pork. Since chorizo is pretty greasy already, this is one instance where a leaner mince may be better.

Now we need a binder. traditionally egg and bread crumbs are used. Here I would probably use masa or ground tortilla chips instead of bread crumbs. For each 1.5 lbs of meat, 1 egg and 1/2 cup of grain-type binder should work well.

Next is flavoring. Chorizo is already spiced pretty well with some chile and cumin. Some minced cilantro could play well, as would some minced fresh serrano (if you like spicy), maybe a touch of epazote, salt, minced onion, more garlic. Then take a half teaspoon and fry it up really quick. Taste it and adjust seasoning. Some chunks (like 3 mm diced cubes) of oaxaca cheese mixed in could be fun, though it will make handling and cooking a bit harder, not much though.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

GrAviTy84 posted:

Now we need a binder.

Why's that? Whenever I make meatballs, I just grind up meat and form it into balls. I've never used a binder. Is it really necessary?

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

Semprini posted:

Are you putting the oats directly into the crock pot? That would probably explain the texture if so. The way I do them (which has never failed me yet) is to put whatever recipe you use in a bowl, put the bowl in the crock pot, and fill about 1/3 - 1/2 of the way up the outside with water.

I'm doing them overnight in the crock pot so I can have them ready when I wake up.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Why's that? Whenever I make meatballs, I just grind up meat and form it into balls. I've never used a binder. Is it really necessary?

Not really. Makes handling easier though.

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011

criscodisco posted:

Tomorrow is my partner's birthday.

beef wellington recipe

Jmcrofts posted:

I haven't made it myself, but I can't really put into words how hungry this video makes me:

ramsay

I made this for christmas

it was amazing, not the most difficult thing, just relies on a few more steps and skills than usual. The main risks are:
-overcooking the beef (probe thermometer makes this a cinch)
-tearing the pastry (give yourself enough thickness and flour the bench well)
-never trying it (because you are afraid of ruining it)

Not making true duxelles probably takes a few of the steps out of it too, but I don't think it detracts much from the final result -the mushrooms might have been the most delicious part (All told I'm not a huge beef fan)

I did a write up of the recipe the other day with some added annotation/helpful tips I found as I went:

DaveP posted:

Thanks bro, the pastry casing cracked a bit on one of the sides (too much scoring and didn't account for beef shrinking, probably) but it turned out nice. Based on a Gordon Ramsay f-word recipe (YouTube it). I love how simple it is

Everything is essential (apart from the food processor -although you'll spend about 20 minutes chopping mushrooms without it); when spending this much on good beef, don't scrimp on the rest

Software:
About 1.5kg beef tenderloin, as consistent width as possible -any more than this and it'd get a bit ungainly
English mustard
Bottle of red wine
4 or 5 strips Parma ham
About 360g mushrooms -I used a mix of shiitake, oyster and chestnut. Three packs, if they come in a standard size (they're about 120g each over here)
Puff pastry block (having made tartine bread's all-day-long crossaint laminating pastry in the past and experiencing what a pain in the dick it was, I can safely say this isn't cheating and probably will give a better result than if you made your own)
An egg for washin'

Special Hardware:
Probe thermometer
Cling film
Food processor
Pastry brush

Salt and Sear the tenderloin on all sides (you should either sear immediately after salting or after about a half hour's rest -this is to ensure the salt doesn't draw out moisture, or if it does that any juices have the time to be reabsorbed back into the meat), brush liberally with the English mustard and leave it to rest while doing the rest

Stick all the mushrooms in a blender and blitz down to a damp, AMAZING SMELLING (like, loving spring forest morning amazing) fine dice. Stick it all in a frying pan (no need for oil), season and cook out the moisture -enter food nirvana from the aromas that fill your kitchen. Drink some of the wine

Lay out some cling film on the counter (big enough to tightly wrap the beef), then lay out the strips of Parma ham -aiming to have the beef tenderloin wrapped with this- mushroom mix and finally the beef tenderloin. Wrap it up proper tight, twist the ends until its tightly tightly packed, then put it in the fridge for about 45 mins so it firms up. Drink more of the wine, preheat oven to 200C

Roll out the puff pastry -imagine you're going to be wrapping that tenderloin mushroom packet like a present, that's how much you want (see, Christmas theme cooking), then take the tenderloin packet out the fridge, unwrap it carefully (it will be fragile), and place it in the middle of the pastry. This is a bit of a one shot deal, so try to avoid putting it in the wrong place -that ham mushroom coating will want to fall off if you prod and poke it too much. Drink the rest of the wine, you need steady hands for the final finesse: wrapping

Liberally apply egg wash and wrap it like a present. Flip it over so the nice side is on top, egg wash the whole thing liberally for that lush browning and shine. Score, add fancy decoration and sprinkle some salt on top. Chill for about 5 mins -firms up the structure. Think about where the next bottle of red wine is.

Bake at about 180-200C (knock it down to 160 if you've got a fan oven and the pastry browns a bit faster than expected) until the internal temp's 145F (mixing all the temperature standards -what you get as a British cook using the Internet for reference) for medium rare -you can't really get it right without the probe thermometer. That's about 40 minutes of what I remember. Take it out, tent with foil and leave it to after-cook and rest for about 20 minutes. Seek out and consume more red wine, you alcy, you. END.

QUESTION

I'm looking to improve my food presentation skills, but not too sure where to look/read up when it comes to learnings. Any tips? I can keep a plate clean and stack stuff on top of eachother, but beyond that it's all a bit guesswork

DaveP fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 4, 2013

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

tarepanda posted:

What do you do to add fat to pork for making breakfast sausages and the like? Just buy lard and grind it in? It seems like you'd get chunks of sausage without fat and some with tons of fat... and repeated grinding/mixing is bad for the meat, isn't it?

Repeated grinding shouldn't hurt anything. I usually use a fatty cut for my pork sausage, but you can use a lean cut and a separate fat source just fine. Just grind them separately and mix them thoroughly by hand, then run the whole thing back through the grinder once more before making patties or links. I do this to make bacon burgers, 2 lbs lean sirloin to 1 lb fatty bacon, or when I make bratwurst or other sausage with more than one type of meat in it. Nothing is going through the grinder more than twice, and the fat is pretty evenly distributed.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Oh jesus christ I'm about go in and buy an 1/8th of a cow with some co-workers. It'll work out to be around ~50 pounds of beef. What's the best way to store these in the freezer to prevent freezer burn?

foresight
May 13, 2007
Anyone have experience working with fresh horseradish? I make horseradish aioli for work, but I've never been fully satisfied with the result. What I do is make about a quart of aioli, then peel and chop up a horseradish root. That goes in the Vitaprep with some vinegar and water, because I've heard that vinegar keeps the horseradish from losing all of its heat.

I puree the stuff, strain it so I have about 2 cups of just the horsey pulp, which at this point absolutely blasts my face off, but as soon as I add it to the aioli I feel like it just dies. No heat, no horseradish flavor. So if anyone has made this stuff from scratch before, would love to hear about your method. Thanks.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Doh004 posted:

Oh jesus christ I'm about go in and buy an 1/8th of a cow with some co-workers. It'll work out to be around ~50 pounds of beef. What's the best way to store these in the freezer to prevent freezer burn?

Make sure absolutely no air can get to them. I bought a bunch of beef from a local place and they wrapped it up for me, but a couple of the packages got damaged by people rummaging through the freezer and air got in :(

The easiest way I've found if you don't have a vacuum sealer is to wrap the meat securely in plastic wrap and then seal it in a heavy duty freezer bag with as much air squeezed out as possible.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

DaveP posted:

I made this for christmas

I'm not a huge fan of the parma ham thing. Somehow it feels like cheating. I don't know why I think that and I am aware that it's probably a stupid opinion.

Also, if you really want to make your beef wellington amazing and wonderful, put some halfway decent pâté in under the beef. It's loving great.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Semprini posted:

Interesting. I use a slow cooker and there is always a skin I need to remove and a separation of really thick and thin porridge which I have to mix. What kind of bowl do you use? I'm guessing that Pyrex wouldn't work with the direct heat.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

foresight posted:

I've heard that vinegar keeps the horseradish from losing all of its heat.

That's where you're going wrong. The way to make really hot horseradish is to use water. Only add vinegar when it has reached the desired level of hotness, as the vinegar somehow quenches the development of the spicy, nose-tickling heat.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Bollock Monkey posted:

In other news, and for no reason other than I have nobody else to say it to, we got given a rice cooker for Christmas and I used it for the first time last night and oh god, it was so good. gently caress ceramic hobs, gently caress them so hard. It was fantastic to have nice rice for the first time in well over a year. It ended up on the 'stay warm' setting for about 10 minutes though because of a timing error and the very bottom of the rice went a little bit crispy. It wasn't unpleasant, but if I have to keep the rice warm for a while at some other point then I was wondering if I should add just a splash more water to stop it from getting worse?

A lot of standard rice cookers (not high end Zojirushi or Tiger models with the fuzzy logic controls) will do this if you keep it on warm for a long time. Don't put extra water in, as that'll make the top rice mushier. I'd always just scoop to nearly the bottom and leave the crust. Just make a little more rice than you think you'd need.

Some people eat the toasted rice crust as a special treat.

If the crust sticks when washing, soak the crust with a half inch of water in the pot for an hour or two and it comes right off with a sponge.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 4, 2013

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Scientastic posted:

In general I find this to be the case but prepared Mexican chorizo can be really wet, id at least be prepared to use some binding

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

DaveP posted:

QUESTION

I'm looking to improve my food presentation skills, but not too sure where to look/read up when it comes to learnings. Any tips? I can keep a plate clean and stack stuff on top of eachother, but beyond that it's all a bit guesswork

Like all art, knowing compositional rules (rule of thirds, leading lines etc), historical styles (ring molds, stacking/layering, and the ever popular drops and lines and blobs look of modernism), as well as having good technique and proper tools (a sharp knife, knowing how to cut things with it without turning them into a ragged mess). Look at a lot of plates. Look at what they put where, and ask why they put it there. Then practice with imitation, then improvise from that copy.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

RazorBunny posted:

Make sure absolutely no air can get to them. I bought a bunch of beef from a local place and they wrapped it up for me, but a couple of the packages got damaged by people rummaging through the freezer and air got in :(

The easiest way I've found if you don't have a vacuum sealer is to wrap the meat securely in plastic wrap and then seal it in a heavy duty freezer bag with as much air squeezed out as possible.

Hmm that could work. I did just buy a bunch of gallon freezer ziplock bags.

Perhaps it's time to invest in a vacuum sealer :ohdear:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I love my Foodsaver 3880's bells and whistles, but SubG has been using a cheapo $30 Rival Seal-A-Meal and sounds satisfied with it, so you could try that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Doh004 posted:

Hmm that could work. I did just buy a bunch of gallon freezer ziplock bags.

Perhaps it's time to invest in a vacuum sealer :ohdear:

Don't forget the trick of dipping the bag into water to force air out if its the last option available. Obviously don't let any water into the bag

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Bollock Monkey posted:

I also need help with this. As I recall, we had some tortilla de patata at a tapas place once which my partner... Didn't hate, but certainly didn't like that much. But that's it, he has it in his mind that he despises all forms of egg (other than when they're in something like cake, pasta etc) and even my cheesiest omelette hasn't helped so far. It's disappointing because eggs are loving brilliant.

I tried Eggs Benedict, but that didn't take, probably because of the Hollandaise. I did, however, have pretty good luck with aigo bouido, so I'm thinking maybe if I get him used to the yolks first, he might eventually come around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010
My girlfriend's birthday is coming up and I want to get her a nice cast iron frying pan. We cook a lot and often have to substitute a stainless or aluminum pan for a cast iron pan, because neither of us own one. I want something durable, and preferably, something her roommate can't easily gently caress up. She has an awful history of using things that aren't hers and I don't trust her.

I was looking around on Amazon and this one looks really nice http://www.amazon.com/Staub-Inch-Cast-Iron-Grenadine/dp/B007ZIGPS6/ and similar to a Le Creuset pan.

And then there's this one. http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L10SK3-12-Inch-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet/dp/B00006JSUB

Price isn't really an option. I can afford to spend upwards of $100 for one piece. Is price a good indicator of quality? What does a Le Creuset or Staub pan offer that a Lodge one doesn't, besides the beautiful colored bottom?