Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tindjin posted:

Drove by this a while ago and couldn't figure out what the hell it could be used for. It's in Albuquerque, NM in the middle of s desert if location helps at all. Click for huge.

Well, it's obviously someone's personal vehicle based on the tailgate painting and it looks like there's a little roof and room for someone to sit up there... maybe something for hunting (like a tree stand, but more retarded?) Are deer colourblind?

That's the only thing I can think of, but it seems like hunting would involve some camouflage, and fewer super bright halogen lights. There's some hooks on the side for a canopy or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's either for hunting or for watching auto races from the infield. I've seen similar contraptions at NASCAR races.

e- based on the location maybe a pit support vehicle for off road races?

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

That's one of those cars that we can kill the aesthetics of all day, but at least the fit and finish is good. More money than brains club. If it's anything like most show cars of that quality, it probably has some cool go-fast stuff on it too.

I hate that I have to occasionally defend show cars in this thread, sometimes it's really hard to do :negative:

e- even that loving horse, though it looks like it was hit by the Mustang, is actually fairly good quality work. Not the greatest, but the dude that did it has some legit chops.

I used to work at a shop that specialized in custom Harley-Davidson ground-up builds and just regular custom work as well. I'll have to scrounge around for pictures but some of the stuff we got asked to do was complete :psyboom:

It was fun making fun of the customer while they weren't around, and even greater when they drove a car/truck (more often a truck) that matched or outdid their bike.

This being said, my boss (the shop owner) had a HD edition Ford F-150, with some gaudy extras like stick on chrome HD emblems and a lift kit.:downs: To be fair, he was just the owner and bought the shop from the head mechanic, who hated his guts but was OK taking his money and not pouring any more funds into the shop. Owner-dude just sat around chatting up customers wives/girlfriends.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It seems like there'd be more of a floor if you were meant to spend long periods of time up there in that little seat, but maybe I've underestimated rednecks (or maybe they tried putting a floor on it and promptly found out that the aerodynamics of that are a bitch at highway speeds).

I wonder if it's removable or welded in there?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tindjin posted:

Drove by this a while ago and couldn't figure out what the hell it could be used for. It's in Albuquerque, NM in the middle of s desert if location helps at all. Click for huge.

storm chasing/illegal immigrant spotting?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

SierraEchoBravo posted:

I used to work at a shop that specialized in custom Harley-Davidson ground-up builds and just regular custom work as well. I'll have to scrounge around for pictures but some of the stuff we got asked to do was complete :psyboom:

It was fun making fun of the customer while they weren't around, and even greater when they drove a car/truck (more often a truck) that matched or outdid their bike.

This being said, my boss (the shop owner) had a HD edition Ford F-150, with some gaudy extras like stick on chrome HD emblems and a lift kit.:downs: To be fair, he was just the owner and bought the shop from the head mechanic, who hated his guts but was OK taking his money and not pouring any more funds into the shop. Owner-dude just sat around chatting up customers wives/girlfriends.

I went to school with Mikey Teutel, and work a mile up the road from the OCC shop. Nub Grafix, who painted all the bikes back at the start of the show, had his first shop right at the end of the street I live on. We can all agree that OCC bikes are silly, but I'll be damned if Nub isn't one of the best custom painters going right now. I've seen all kinds of questionable poo poo roll out of there, a bunch that would belong in this thread, but the work itself was always impeccable. You can't fix stupid, and if someone wants to pay top dollar so that their abortion is the best looking abortion possible, I can't fault either the customer or the shop doing it. The Pep Boy specials are worth far more of our ire, because the taste and execution is garbage. Something like that Mustang I can't really be bothered to rag on that much.

e- Here's Nub's website if anyone wants to check him out. His shop back before OCC was on TV was one of the inspirations for me to get into auto body/painting.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 4, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
They're filming the final episodes of Breaking Bad over there right now, maybe it's some kind of camera/film truck?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Well, that's one way to do smoked headlights.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

einTier posted:

Well, that's one way to do smoked headlights.

Lemme guess, some cheap HID kit shorted out damaging the light casing, the bumper, and half the wiring harness?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Brigdh posted:

Lemme guess, some cheap HID kit shorted out damaging the light casing, the bumper, and half the wiring harness?

It looks like someone literally spray painted the headlight to get the smoke look.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

front wing flexing posted:

It looks like someone literally spray painted the headlight to get the smoke look.

exactly.

and they couldn't even be bothered to put up some newspaper and tape to get JUST the headlight. piss poor.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Looking through Autoblog's images of Hurricane Sandy-damaged cars when something yellow caught my eye.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Poor Miura (I think).

I really hope they scrap all those cars rather than letting someone try and get them back on the road.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

blk posted:

Poor Miura.

I really hope they scrap all those cars rather than letting someone try and get them back on the road.

(Pretty sure a Miura would have been long gone at the first mention of a hurricane.)

blk
Dec 19, 2009

DropShadow posted:

(Pretty sure a Miura would have been long gone at the first mention of a hurricane.)

Ooooh 308 GTS. That's sad too, though not as sad in yellow.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

PromethiumX posted:

exactly.

and they couldn't even be bothered to put up some newspaper and tape to get JUST the headlight. piss poor.

Darn. I was hoping for some lovely HID justice.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

DropShadow posted:

Looking through Autoblog's images of Hurricane Sandy-damaged cars when something yellow caught my eye.

Saw a few cool cars, 6-series, a new Z4, some porsches, camaros etc. Would be nice to get one just to gut it and turn it in to a track car, but realistically the electrics would be so hosed it probably wouldn't be feasible :(.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Electronics and any spotwelded portions of the unibody, especially ones that were already starting to rust inside the spotweld seams. Seeing as this is coastal NY CT and NJ we're talking about, that means anything that's more than 3-4 years old.

Flooded cars are one thing, flooded cars that have been through a dozen foot storm surge on the oceanfront are completely another. Verizon and the other telcos are still ripping out literally hundreds of MILLIONS of dollars of underground wiring and equipment in NYC because, well, all of it turned green and crumbled the second it touched seawater while electrified. Which was "every cable below the first floor of lower Manhattan."

I wouldn't touch any of those cars with a 10 foot pole, even for parts I'd be carefully inspecting everything before use.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

kastein posted:

Electronics and any spotwelded portions of the unibody, especially ones that were already starting to rust inside the spotweld seams. Seeing as this is coastal NY CT and NJ we're talking about, that means anything that's more than 3-4 years old.

Flooded cars are one thing, flooded cars that have been through a dozen foot storm surge on the oceanfront are completely another. Verizon and the other telcos are still ripping out literally hundreds of MILLIONS of dollars of underground wiring and equipment in NYC because, well, all of it turned green and crumbled the second it touched seawater while electrified. Which was "every cable below the first floor of lower Manhattan."

I wouldn't touch any of those cars with a 10 foot pole, even for parts I'd be carefully inspecting everything before use.

So basically the best course of action is the worlds greatest monster truck rally?

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
The truck rig is for hunting wild hogs. Need need to be mobile, so you can go where the pigs are, and high up to see above the sage.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

DropShadow posted:

We have 500+ brand new Fords at our auction waiting to be crushed, including a 2013 Boss 302, a 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, a 2013 Shelby GT500 ragtop, and about a dozen Focus ST's.

Also, before anyone furthers the "I'd take one to do x with", we've had about a dozen various cars spontaneously burst into flames.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I'd take one and watch it burst into flames.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ultimateforce posted:

Of course you would. I'd imagine nothing would be as exciting to you as watching something rust in high speed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Voltage posted:

So basically the best course of action is the worlds greatest monster truck rally?

Close. The worlds greatest demolition derby (assuming you can get any of them to move) immediately followed by the worlds greatest monster truck rally.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I think you mean the world's greatest simultaneous monster truck rally/demolition derby

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Should place them in one of those cities during a sport event for when people start rioting for winning or losing.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Cakefool posted:

I think you mean the world's greatest simultaneous, spontaneously bursting, monster truck rally/demolition derby

Fixed, just to add...

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
This car lives on my street. Yes, those are zip ties on the grill and rims.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ultimateforce posted:

Car fires smell so loving bad. That being said, I want the engine out of the Shelby. I'd put it in my Ram and not even give a gently caress. What a sweet car the 2013's are.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hikaki posted:

This car lives on my street. Yes, those are zip ties on the grill and rims.

That car was already terrible before that guy ever got his hands on it.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Godholio posted:

Berkley, of course..

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Godholio posted:

I think he improved it. The paint itself isn't that awful. Just kind of awful.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
What the gently caress is it, a Kia Sedona?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

VikingSkull posted:

That's one of those cars that we can kill the aesthetics of all day, but at least the fit and finish is good. More money than brains club. If it's anything like most show cars of that quality, it probably has some cool go-fast stuff on it too.

I hate that I have to occasionally defend show cars in this thread, sometimes it's really hard to do :negative:

e- even that loving horse, though it looks like it was hit by the Mustang, is actually fairly good quality work. Not the greatest, but the dude that did it has some legit chops.

Who cares if it has 8 billion horsepower when it gets trailered everywhere and just sits there?

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Voltage posted:

Saw a few cool cars, 6-series, a new Z4, some porsches, camaros etc. Would be nice to get one just to gut it and turn it in to a track car, but realistically the electrics would be so hosed it probably wouldn't be feasible :(.

Near top right I think I see an early eighties third gen Trans Am. It looks like it has the hood with the off centre bulge.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

oh yeah, tons of go-fast stuff. it's got a cold air intake, headers and exhaust, and nitrious, that's gotta be 500+ horsepower.

It also has a monitor in each door and 2 in the trunk.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1994-Custom-Ford-Mustang-Convertible-W0QQAdIdZ443849550QQfeaturedAdZtrue

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

rocket_350 posted:

Near top right I think I see an early eighties third gen Trans Am. It looks like it has the hood with the off centre bulge.

And what looks to be a 2nd gen F-body of some sort (Camaro?), row 2nd from top, 5 cars from the left. :( Also, apparently at least one of those cars runs pretty good, if the donuts on the runway are any indication :v:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

oh yeah, tons of go-fast stuff. it's got a cold air intake, headers and exhaust, and nitrious, that's gotta be 500+ horsepower.

It also has a monitor in each door and 2 in the trunk.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1994-Custom-Ford-Mustang-Convertible-W0QQAdIdZ443849550QQfeaturedAdZtrue

Well then, it's worse than I thought.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

rocket_350 posted:

Bottom of the second row I see a SMART ForTwo & Mini Cooper. Also, :20bux: says those donuts are from the convertible 5th gen SS Camaro in top-left corner of the picture. The only yellow car in the picture in case you can't find it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Devyl posted:

Bottom of the second row I see a SMART ForTwo & Mini Cooper. Also, :20bux: says those donuts are from the convertible 5th gen SS Camaro in top-left corner of the picture. The only yellow car in the picture in case you can't find it

Car Where's Waldo is the best, someone should make this an actual thing. gently caress the gangly cartoon guy in the red hat. :colbert: