Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Soulfucker posted:

I miss that thread so, so much. :(

I'm partial to the Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons who were technically pretty well made but were goddamn insane in composition and chosen bitz.

Case in point:

Thousand Sons bros: daydreaming about jugglers.

My absolute favourite has to be the "asalt canon and power klaw" guy.

Ghost Hand posted:

Totally clear now. Sorry for the confusion!
No worries! :)
And if I were making knock-offs I probably wouldn't be posting about it, since I believe a moderator said no to talking about counterfeits a while back. :v:

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Soulfucker posted:

I miss that thread so, so much. :(

I'm partial to the Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons who were technically pretty well made but were goddamn insane in composition and chosen bitz.

Case in point:

Seems a little lacking.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Groetgaffel posted:

Didn't they on the other hand overrule the old FAQ on An'rakyr being able to use Mind In The Machine from inside his ride?

No-ish; there's still no way to draw line-of-sight under RAW.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

No-ish; there's still no way to draw line-of-sight under RAW.
Oh. :smith: One can only hope that the address it in a future FAQ then.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Where's the front page article on the poo poo models? If you have archives and don't mind digging through my poo poo and drunk posts, I should have a link to name private photobucket of all the poo poo models from that thread. gently caress if I remember my login details.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Pre Orders are up for the new DA stuff... Aussies can enjoy the $85 land speeder.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Yet again I want to buy the LE Codex. It looks a lot nicer than the CSM one.

The flyers look great, even better than I thought. I'm coming around on the speeders as well, after looking at the 360° pic.

As far as I can tell, the DW kit only comes with 1 thunder hammer.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Was there a limited edition Chaos codex? I don't remember seeing one, but I know for drat sure I'll be seeing that limited DA codex soon!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

That speeder is silly. Which is why I love it.
Besides, mounting a bigass shrine on a speeder is 40k as gently caress.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Welp, pulled the trigger on the LE Codex. The cloth cover looks so cool.

I hope the Land Speeder Vengeance isn't too many points... the plasma thing is obviously baller but it's still on a 10/10/10 2HP platform, nahmsain?

Scanning down the new Dark Angels product list, I noticed that Techmarines are HQ. Also there are Sternguard in Elites.

e: whoever said Sammael only has 3A, not 5, was correct

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 5, 2013

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Hmmm, do you think the Nephilim could stand in for a FW Lightning or would it be too small? They're similar looking and have pretty much the same armament.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440160a&prodId=prod1830074a

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/VOSS_PATTERN_LIGHTNING_STRIKE_FIGHTER.html

edit: Space marines can get multimelta Tarantulas? Life is so unfair.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 5, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
What makes the Limited DA codex $110 special? A dust jacket and bookmark?

At least everything else in this release is cool. I love the Dark Talon and Land Speeder Vengeance. Hopefully Deathwing will be competitive this time round.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Naramyth posted:

My favorite has been BiD melta teams against vendettas and helldrakes. Don't forget those wings are legal to measure too! :eng101:
Are you including vertical distance? Makes 6" hard to get, especially if the vendetta is on a foam piece of terrain and your guys are on the bare table.

I had plans to keep my Coteaz on top of a bastion for "I've been expecting you" cover but he can't do if from a fire point and when I put him on top he could not measure 12" to anything in a straight line because the walls around him blocked LOS to anything not far away.

While I'm on the topic the last game I watched had players talking about angles that mounted weapons could draw fire on. Some stuff about a Razorback on a hill crest could not shoot models at the bottom of the hill because of 22deg tilt or something. He then mentioned that stormraven hurricane bolsters could never rapid fire for the same reason. Sounded like BS to me.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

WhiteOutMouse posted:

While I'm on the topic the last game I watched had players talking about angles that mounted weapons could draw fire on. Some stuff about a Razorback on a hill crest could not shoot models at the bottom of the hill because of 22deg tilt or something. He then mentioned that stormraven hurricane bolsters could never rapid fire for the same reason. Sounded like BS to me.

Pretty sure all vehicle weapons can swivel 45 degrees in any direction plus any movement they gain from being on a turret or whatever.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

7thBatallion posted:

Ahahahahahaha okay, let me compose myself.

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progress/index.php?showtopic=18113

My only regret is not having the EoW thread of the absolute worst models of his handy.

It's so ridiculous that it looks like something straight out of a GW manual.

Fletchtar
May 6, 2003

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Are you including vertical distance? Makes 6" hard to get, especially if the vendetta is on a foam piece of terrain and your guys are on the bare table.

I had plans to keep my Coteaz on top of a bastion for "I've been expecting you" cover but he can't do if from a fire point and when I put him on top he could not measure 12" to anything in a straight line because the walls around him blocked LOS to anything not far away.

Isn't there also a rule saying that a unit can never block it's own line of sight? Or something like that?

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o
Good news Dark Angels fans like me, you can preorder the ultimate collection of miniatures for your Ravenwing force with The Hunt For The Fallen pack. The discount for buying this whole set as one box? A grand savings of exactly $0. Act now, Warfans!

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
The rulebook says that all weapons can aim up and down 45 degrees, even if the model doesn't allow for it.

And on the subject of BiD, my personal favourite is ordering a CCS with full plasma. 8 (9 if you give the commander a plasma pistol for a laugh) twin-linked S7 AP2 shots? Yes please. They may not be as reliable as, say, a lascannon team, but that many shots will easily bring down most flyers and even have a good chance of taking out the tougher AV12 types.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phyresis posted:

I hope the Land Speeder Vengeance isn't too many points... the plasma thing is obviously baller but it's still on a 10/10/10 2HP platform, nahmsain?

3HP, I believe, from what I could make out on the scan.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

this troper posted:

Good news Dark Angels fans like me, you can preorder the ultimate collection of miniatures for your Ravenwing force with The Hunt For The Fallen pack. The discount for buying this whole set as one box? A grand savings of exactly $0. Act now, Warfans!

I wonder how many points that is?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Just found out you can get the Army Builder auto-update files off their website so if anybody else's license is expired like mine you can still get them!

http://www.wolflair.com/rightframe.php?context=army_builder&page=supplemental_downloads

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fix posted:

I wonder how many points that is?

I'm guessing around 1500

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

ghetto wormhole posted:

Just found out you can get the Army Builder auto-update files off their website so if anybody else's license is expired like mine you can still get them!

http://www.wolflair.com/rightframe.php?context=army_builder&page=supplemental_downloads

This is pretty great to know. Does this mean that outside of being able to make more than 3 units at a time, there's literally no reason to spend money on armybuilder?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Business Gorillas posted:

This is pretty great to know. Does this mean that outside of being able to make more than 3 units at a time, there's literally no reason to spend money on armybuilder?

I donno how the demo version works but my problem was I bought it and then let my subscription lapse. This wouldn't normally be a problem because you could get the 40k files directly from the maintainers' website and just manually import them. Unfortunately the maintainers got in poo poo with GW and decided to only distribute the file through the auto-update function which only works if you have a current subscription to Army Builder in direct opposition to how AB supposedly doesn't get sued into oblivion. Either I totally missed that link when I was looking before or they added it recently.

edit: For those who don't know the AB subscription is only for updates, after you buy it the first time you still have the full version of the program forever, you just can't update it and can only update data files manually.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 5, 2013

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

ghetto wormhole posted:

I donno how the demo version works but my problem was I bought it and then let my subscription lapse.
I just tried it out when I've never bought the demo version and it works. The only difference between running demo now is that you are limited in what you can do in the list itself (duplicating units and having army lists more than 3 entries long is all I've seen so far).

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
New White Dwarf is downloading to my iPad now. But man is it slow.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

this troper posted:

With a deal like that why wouldn't I buy it! Oh GW, you and your pricing.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

7thBatallion posted:

Ahahahahahaha okay, let me compose myself.

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progress/index.php?showtopic=18113

My only regret is not having the EoW thread of the absolute worst models of his handy.
This might be worth a peek if you're feeling nostalgic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3p_VuPIS2c

For whoever said it, the parade of skull-Rhinos was my favorite as well.

BobOfDoom
May 24, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Drythe posted:

With a deal like that why wouldn't I buy it! Oh GW, you and your pricing.

Dark Vengeance for $99 but that for nearly $550? I'm sold.

I'm really itching to for the new codex to drop already so I can see if it's worth picking up for the escalation campaign I was invited to.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

They don't even toss in the book? Jesus...

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

What makes the Limited DA codex $110 special? A dust jacket and bookmark?

The price is what makes it special!

edit: Holy poo poo. The prices are getting insane. $90 for the flyer? $80 for the new speeder? $70 for 5 terms?! holy gently caress man. $60 for 3 loving bikes? ahahahaha. Man, gently caress GW.
Canadian prices btw.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

What the gently caress. The Canada Vs Australia prices are just loving weird.

Hunt for the Fallen battlebox
$555 Au, $654.50 Can.

DA Battleforce
$185 AU, $135 Can.

Codex DA $83 Au, $59.50 Can

Ravenwing Dark Talon
$81 Au, $90 Can

Sammael
$83 Au, $59.50 Can.

DW Command squad
$75 Au, $70 Can.

:psyduck:

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

3HP, I believe, from what I could make out on the scan.

2 HP according to the video discussion after the battle report in the digital white dwarf. They were discussing how tricky the unit is to use.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 5, 2013

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

this troper posted:

They always do this. GW hasn't offered "deals" since Apocalypse.

Saalkin posted:

edit: Holy poo poo. The prices are getting insane. $90 for the flyer? $80 for the new speeder? $70 for 5 terms?! holy gently caress man. $60 for 3 loving bikes? ahahahaha. Man, gently caress GW.
Canadian prices btw.

They will sell out of them (the collectors editions) fast too if the CSM codex was any indication.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 5, 2013

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Hand posted:

Except the Apocalypse boxes were, you know, actual deals. These are just hilarious.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Saalkin posted:

Canadian prices btw.

Yeeeeah. This is pretty genuinely lovely. 1500-ish points for $650 is pretty beyond the pale, even for this dumb hobby.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
So this is something that I've been assuming and I want to make sure I'm not being an idiot:

Psykers locked in close combat can manifest blessings and/or maledictions during the movement phase, even though they can't actually move, correct? Or no?

edit: Holy poo poo my avatar :aaaaa:

edit2: I did a bit more searching and the answer to my question appears to be yes, but feel free to respond with any further clarifications if need be. :)

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 5, 2013

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So lately I've been thinking about quitting the hobby for a while since I don't have much time and anything, I'm just curious if anyone has an idea how much one of the official wall scrolls may be worth that GW uses to advertise in their stores. I won the blood angels codex one (from the release back then) in a tournament at my local GW about a year ago. They're not available to buy anywhere, so I'm kind of curious if anyone has an idea what "rare" merchandise like that could be worth.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

JerryLee posted:

So this is something that I've been assuming and I want to make sure I'm not being an idiot:

Psykers locked in close combat can manifest blessings and/or maledictions during the movement phase, even though they can't actually move, correct? Or no?

edit: Holy poo poo my avatar :aaaaa:

edit2: I did a bit more searching and the answer to my question appears to be yes, but feel free to respond with any further clarifications if need be. :)
I'm fairly sure it's yes myself. Page 68 of the book states they can benefit units locked in combat and the psyker himself, so you'd be aces. If this wasn't the case, a lot of the blessings in the book would be pretty mediocre. If not the case, my friends might be a little upset that my Daemon Prince kept giving himself boons as he slowly murdered a Scout squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Ghost Hand posted:

2 HP according to the video discussion after the battle report in the digital white dwarf. They were discussing how tricky the unit is to use.

Yeah, I really want to shoot large plasma blasts at things but this vehicle is so fragile and will surely be a high-priority target.

Ghost Hand posted:

There was that transport + troop box that went out to independent retailers a little while back. That actually saved you $10-15 but you couldn't actually get it from GW :rolleyes:

Ghost Hand posted:

They will sell out of them (the collectors editions) fast too if the CSM codex was any indication.

Yeah, they will probably sell out relatively fast but probably not as fast as the CSM Codex. There were only 1000 LE CSM Codexes printed and GW said "eh, gently caress it, free money" so they doubled it to 2k for DA. And I'm one of the suckers that bought one :sigh:

• Locked thread