Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I thought Bella Swan was a blank slate that her readers could project themselves into. She intentionally leaves the description of her as vague as possible before cranking up the lady spank material by going into humungous detail about ready Eddie.

That's what she originally said, but then:

" left out a detailed description of Bella in the book so that the reader could more easily step into her shoes. However, so many people have asked this question, I have decided to tell you what she looks like to me. But I want to stress, Bella's looks are open to interpretation.

In my head, Bella is very fair-skinned, with long, straight, dark brown hair and chocolate brown eyes. Her face is heart-shaped—a wide forehead with a widow's peak, large, wide-spaced eyes, prominent cheekbones, and then a thin nose and a narrow jaw with a pointed chin. Her lips are a little out of proportion, a bit too full for her jaw line. Her eyebrows are darker than her hair and more straight than they are arched. She's five foot four inches tall, slender but not at all muscular, and weighs about 115 pounds. She has stubby fingernails because she has a nervous habit of biting them. And there's your very detailed description.".

And Encyclopedia Dramatica provides us with this very helpful chart:

EDIT: GODDAMMIT WHY DO I EVEN KNOW THIS poo poo

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Now I am really glad I always found the back of Rice's novel weird and off putting during my teenage years.

Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis you saved me yet again.

You and me both. Oh, the Death's Gate Cycle. If there's a character Dis-at-12 wanted to be? it was Haplo. loving chaodyn.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

uglynoodles posted:

Denise believed that Lestat was one of her lovers as well after I got big into Interview. She told me Louis was in love with me and we were soulmates.

Something else that's surfaced up from my foggy childhood memory. It was also somewhere in Grade 9 or 10 that I met and had a brief relationship with a girl, Terry, who was totally on board with the whole anime boy spirit possession thing and used it as a vehicle to initiate a pretty heated makeout session with me. I'd guess that that was my first lesbian experience. I went along with it because she wasn't hideous and I was a horny kid. We weren't friends for very long after that, I suppose in part because I felt really awkward about what happened, I was coming to terms with my bisexuality and I couldn't talk to her about it on the level because on her part "it was an anime guy possession, I don't remember anything!"

Terry had a thing for vampires. Her spirit husbando was Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She also liked Interview and 'claimed' Lestat, and 'gave' me Louis.

I didn't mention this before because I was so focussed on Denise and this whole thing with Terry lasted maybe two months or so.

Fun fact: When I was 12, I wrote a TTLY ORGINAL vampire novel, and had been quietly editing and revising it over the years. Denise wanted to read it, and wouldn't you know it, some of my characters became her spirit boyfrandos too! I ended up putting the horrible thing online and I think it's still up somewhere!

fake edit: Yep! I found it! My boyfriend asked me why I was laughing so loud. :hurr:

There are just so god drat many people who believe in this anime is real poo poo. ... Or at least, I've met loads. Sample bias?
Sorry for disconnected nature of this post! I'm kind of ill and it's a bit hard to hammer out a coherent thought.

You do know you're going to have to post a link to that story now, right?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

She intentionally leaves the description of her as vague as possible before cranking up the lady spank material by going into humungous detail about ready Eddie.

Except not really.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

So close, young Vacuum. So close and yet so far.

Devious Vacuum, age 16 posted:

My Sweet Darling,

I don't really feel like being serious today. Hope you don't mind.

I have the disgustingly feminine fantasy of cuddling with you. You know, talking about "important" things, snuggled up in bed together. It's awful, the way we women fantasize. That's what it is, really; it's pure fantasy. No man could ever be what our dream guy is.

Anyway, every day I go to school I lose faith in humanity. It takes the summer to gain it back, little by little. And Christmas specials. Especially Christmas specials. Which means God, I guess. God seems to be the only one who can make you feel good about people. I wish people were at least civil. If everyone was indifferent to me as I was to them that would at least be a step up. I love Christmas specials.

Shadestar
Oct 21, 2012
I just caught up to this thread and drat, those who have horror stories about their own 'Denises' I'm surprised you guys were able to tolerate it. Also, to uglynoodles, just reading your stories about Denise and your life experiences makes me want to go back in time and give you a big hug and take care of you. I seriously feel like you didn't deserve to go through all the bad things that happened and you truly are a strong person to have dealt with that.

After reading other people's stories brought back memories of my own. The weeaboos/creeps/??? I had to deal with weren't as extreme as the ones others posted before me, but they were still kind of bad I guess.

I'll start off with a childhood friend: Blue, since she dyed her hair blue in present time.

Blue and I

Many, many years years ago when I lived in a semi-hillbilly town in central America, I met Blue, who was my next door neighbor. She was one year older than me, so our friendship started when I was 4 and she was 5. This friendship lasted for maybe four or five years. Little innocent me idolized her greatly, and her big sister especially since she was older and all. I always followed whatever the people older than me did and I wouldn't mind, cause y'know, they're big kids and they know everything.

So Blue's family was really into gaming, mainly Nintendo and Playstation stuff (Back in the very early 2000's). Since I hung out with her almost every single day (except Wednesdays and Sundays since she went to church), I was influenced greatly by what she did and liked and because of her I enjoy gaming and ainme (to a lesser degree).

However, she did act bratty when things didn't go her way or if her older sister took control (I usually would lol and that would get me a short beating/smack). Whenever I played Mario games with her I'd be restricted from playing Peach or Yoshi and I would pick Daisy or Toadette (unless she has a mood swing and forbids me from playing those characters, then I choose another). It was like that with other games too, and she would pick the "prettiest" characters first while I got second best.

We were like that for a couple years until she and her older sister discovered Naruto. I don't have anything against it really, but it's just the fandom that kind of makes me feel iffy about liking it nowadays. Nine year old me became a HUGE fanatic though since Blue was. She'd take down her posters of Johnny Depp and some other guy I don't remember and began going crazy for Naruto stuff. Collecting Naruto posters, headbands, figurines, etc etc... and she would freak if she missed a single episode.

Unlike her, however, I kept myself more sane than she was. Sure, I liked it a lot but it wasn't like my life depended on it. (Okay maybe a little, since there was one time when I-)
Anyways, we're both big fans of Naruto when the anime first started airing in English Dub and we would sometimes roleplay (I wasn't even aware of what we were doing was roleplay, haha). How we roleplayed though was using Littlest Pet Workshop figurines that she'd collect (She had a shite-load of 'em.)

So we fangirled over some characters and we'd pick our characters and who they would..ahem..date? (ohgoditfeelsoembarrassingtoremember). Since she was the older one and the one in charge, she picked first and I'd go last, as usual. I don't remember clearly, but I think the guys she normally picked were Sasuke, Itachi and..Neji? Ah, who cares. Anyways, she would make these scenes up like our characters getting kidnapped by idk some guy she disliked or thought was ugly, like Kisame? (The blue fish dude who was cahoots with Itachi I think) or the plant guy. Then, oh hey, Neji/Sasuke/boys we drooled over come to rescue us! Hoorah, everything's normal again.

Then there would be the kissing scenes...

She would make these...these sounds that I can't even find the words to describe really whenever her insert character would makeout/passionately kiss the guy she fantasized over. It wasn't loud and grotesque but...urgh I don't know how to put it.
I'm afraid I might be making this a little too long of a post, but if anyone's interested I have a couple more short stories to tell about Blue before moving on to someone else if that's okay.
Here have a drawing/doodle:

x. Her personality and attire in more detail
x. Blue tries to make me fat
x. Rage Quit Smack
x. The First and Final Call After Five Years (Also, what she's up to currently)

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Shadestar posted:

I just caught up to this thread and

Shadestar posted:

I'm afraid I might be making this a little too long of a post, but if anyone's interested

Don't even say this. If you've been following this thread already, I believe the general consensus is to post everything.
We are always interested. Always assume this. Always.
:justpost:

Also, everybody loves doodles/drawings supplemented with stories. Just keep going!

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

uglynoodles posted:

There are just so god drat many people who believe in this anime is real poo poo. ... Or at least, I've met loads. Sample bias?
Sorry for disconnected nature of this post! I'm kind of ill and it's a bit hard to hammer out a coherent thought.

I have never known a single person like this, but I am old and anime wasn't really readily available when I was growing up, even stuff like Pokemon I was too old for and missed. I still have never had a friend who was into anime, either - I just don't think there are too many people of my age who are that into it, or maybe I just don't come into contact with them. I have a couple of film buff friends who have seen Akira, but that's about it.

Reading these stories is like glimpsing another planet for me, which is partly why I find it so fascinating. And although I sometimes wish the Internet had been available when I was a teenager for some things, reading stories like this makes me glad it wasn't. I feel like the small town bubble I grew up in kept everyone acting relatively normal in school and social settings. I think post-Internet it seems acceptable to people to go on and on about their personal hobbies and have them take over their life. When I was growing up, and this is still the case with friends my age, hobbies were just a small part of your life and not something you would talk about a lot unless you were in the context of a club or group dedicated to that hobby or it came up as part of a conversation that had a lot of other topics too. These people seem like all they think about is their hobby/geeky interest.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Lowly posted:

I have never known a single person like this, but I am old and anime wasn't really readily available when I was growing up, even stuff like Pokemon I was too old for and missed. I still have never had a friend who was into anime, either - I just don't think there are too many people of my age who are that into it, or maybe I just don't come into contact with them. I have a couple of film buff friends who have seen Akira, but that's about it.

Reading these stories is like glimpsing another planet for me, which is partly why I find it so fascinating. And although I sometimes wish the Internet had been available when I was a teenager for some things, reading stories like this makes me glad it wasn't. I feel like the small town bubble I grew up in kept everyone acting relatively normal in school and social settings. I think post-Internet it seems acceptable to people to go on and on about their personal hobbies and have them take over their life. When I was growing up, and this is still the case with friends my age, hobbies were just a small part of your life and not something you would talk about a lot unless you were in the context of a club or group dedicated to that hobby or it came up as part of a conversation that had a lot of other topics too. These people seem like all they think about is their hobby/geeky interest.

I wouldn't say it's a matter of where one grew up since I grew up in a major city and had a similar experience, so I have wondered if it's a generational thing to some extent since with those in my age bracket pretty much grew out of the fantasy stuff being real by the time we hit our double digits. Granted for us the extent of anime available was Speed Racer and maybe Battle of the Planets, but even expanding things into books and all no one was talking about any of this being anything other than just fantasy. Even with looking at things from a fandom perspective, there didn't seem to be the same intensiveness like one sees with some of the otaku rooms posted with the shelves upon shelves of plastic figurines and walls plastered in posters and wall scrolls. It was fine and all to really like a show and maybe have a framed poster or a tchotchke of some kind in a side room, but nothing so out and bold of excess everywhere the eye can see.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
According to Facebook, one of my friends from high school (by which I mean "a girl who was in a lot of my classes and got on reasonably well with", we were not close) has a son named Lestat. He is 3 or 4 I think.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

According to Facebook, one of my friends from high school (by which I mean "a girl who was in a lot of my classes and got on reasonably well with", we were not close) has a son named Lestat. He is 3 or 4 I think.

I know of more than one Anakin in my extended peer group. I also know of two Graysons (after Robin/Nightwing), a Parker (as in Peter), a few Logans (Wolverine, and unrelated to that name's popularity at the time but specifically after the character), and a Victor - but named for the Fantastic Four's enemy Dr. Doom. Most of my extended peer group are enormous nerds in their thirties.

I would be very curious to know in the next few years or decade or so how frequent names like Anakin are, and if there will be enough names that stem specifically from various fandoms that it won't be quite so strange anymore.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I know of more than one Anakin in my extended peer group. I also know of two Graysons (after Robin/Nightwing), a Parker (as in Peter), a few Logans (Wolverine, and unrelated to that name's popularity at the time but specifically after the character), and a Victor - but named for the Fantastic Four's enemy Dr. Doom. Most of my extended peer group are enormous nerds in their thirties.

I would be very curious to know in the next few years or decade or so how frequent names like Anakin are, and if there will be enough names that stem specifically from various fandoms that it won't be quite so strange anymore.

I look forward to the day I meet someone named "Thorki" :allears:

Hey Devious Vacuum, you remind me of my sister who used to write in her diary to her "totally original" male OC character. Oddly enough I used to do that too, except to my own totally original OC character who was basically a male version of Ariel, the little mermaid. I wish I kept the journals but it's probably less legible than I remember it to be. Don't think I lusted over him very much, though. I just really liked mermaids.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My friends decided that naming their son Anakin was a bit much, so they named him Hayden (as in Christensen, the actor who played Anakin) instead. I guess it could be worse?

They have three boys and all their names end in -en, though, which belongs more in the PYF names thread than here.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

RazorBunny posted:

My friends decided that naming their son Anakin was a bit much, so they named him Hayden (as in Christensen, the actor who played Anakin) instead. I guess it could be worse?

I think that is worse. The actors who played Anakin were named David, James, and Sebastian. :colbert:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Suenteus Po posted:

I think that is worse. The actors who played Anakin were named David, James, and Sebastian. :colbert:

Word. :hfive:

I would rather not name my kid after the would-be destroyer of the galaxy anyways, oddly enough. But if I did, I certainly wouldn't let Hayden Christensen have any part of it!

I don't think, though, that naming your kid "Luke" after Luke Skywalker, say, would really be all that bad, because Luke is a normal enough name. I have a friend named after an Elvis Costello song, even. Logan is one thing; if you name your kid Wolverine then, yeah, you suck.

But since this isn't the PYF lovely names thread, I will say no more.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I was partly named after a Beatles song, and it's a classic (if not incredibly common) name. But I also know someone my age named Jor-El.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Invalid Octopus posted:

I was partly named after a Beatles song, and it's a classic (if not incredibly common) name. But I also know someone my age named Jor-El.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, you are named after Paul's dog. :eng101:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Corridor posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, you are named after Paul's dog. :eng101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcWzlxECaPo
Nope!

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

You didn't happen to go to WL Seaton Secondary did you?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

My neighbour's daughters are named Julia and Michelle, after Beatles songs.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Wedemeyer posted:

I look forward to the day I meet someone named "Thorki" :allears:

Hey Devious Vacuum, you remind me of my sister who used to write in her diary to her "totally original" male OC character. Oddly enough I used to do that too, except to my own totally original OC character who was basically a male version of Ariel, the little mermaid. I wish I kept the journals but it's probably less legible than I remember it to be. Don't think I lusted over him very much, though. I just really liked mermaids.

Thanks, I guess? Give me some names! What was your merman's name? Before I started writing diaries to Lestat I had an "OC" (as the kids say these days) that was the human high-school-aged clone of Stuart Townsend's Lestat. His name was Adrian Steel. He was this weird semi-boyfriend character of mine, but also just sort of a generic male character in my comics that were all about me and my female friends. We'll see some pictures of him once I have time to upload some photos of my old comics/fanart. I gotta go take more pics of those today, because tomorrow I head back home.

Hey, it's the last entry in that notepad y'all saw in the photo at the top of the box of diaries. At this point I thought it would be over, because I had reached the end of the notepad! There are 4 more journals after this, oh god. They have DATES, too. And they are all basically this, over and over again, so I have chosen the ones that are more different to post. But just imagine this 30 times between each entry.

Devious Vacuum, age 16 posted:

Well, this is it, isn't it? The end of the letters. I feel like something should happen. Sure, I can just buy another notepad, but it just wouldn't be the same.
I love you. This last incident has only strengthened by conviction and my desire. I don't know what's going to happen next. I want something to happen. I don't want to wait another month for you to take some action again! Oh, this is awful. I was so very badly to meet you, to speak with you, to hold you... but I'll wait a hundred more years for the promise that you will come one day.

This is insane, really. I'm insane. I should be frightened, but I'm not, really. It's all so... expected. Finally it's real. It always has been. I was right, or as right as I can be, in this situation.

So many things are racing through my mind, and yet this might not mean anything at all. Oh, Vacuum, let yourself get excited for once in your life!!! I'm too drat rational. Or insane. Or both. Insane people think they're rational, don't they?
I want this last letter to be a love letter, not me talking about how crazy I am.

I love you, darling. My Sweet and Gentle Prince. My Beloved. My Adored One. Beautiful Prince. Come to me. Hold me. Kiss me. Love me. I shall dress in that old wedding gown in my closet and be your little princess. I think I look more beautiful in that dress than in anything I have ever worn. It was my mother's. She almost got married in it. Oh, that I could be your blushing bride, my prince. I shall cover you with kisses. I beg you to come to me.

Here you are, reading this letter, and there I am, asleep. I'm waiting for you. Come over; I don't care if you have to wake me up. Come hold me. I love you.
One more thing before we go. At first, I thought you were Lestat, then I convinced myself how illogical that was. Now I'm actually starting to sway back the other way. I hope my opinion on this matter doesn't affect whether or not you come tonight. The important thing is that I love you and I am not afraid. I will never be afraid of you. Please speak with me.

- Vacuum xxxooo

Oh, this reminds me! For a while I thought it was somehow more rational to believe that I wasn't being visited by Lestat per se, but I guess what I would now call because of this thread "my soulmate on the astral plane." Or a ghost?? I'm not totally sure, and I don't think I was sure at the time either. Because being visited by a soulmate ghost is totally more plausible than being visited by a fictional vampire? I also think subconsciously I decided that I was going to talk to Lestat no matter what, because I preferred that coping mechanism.

EDIT: Also yes, every night I would write a letter to Lestat and leave it open next to my bed. The next morning I would tear off the entry and put it at the bottom of the notepad so my parents couldn't just walk in and accidentally read it during the day. Oh man, and remind me later to talk about my theory that as soon as I left for college my mom totally read every single one of these diaries.

Devious Vacuum fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 7, 2013

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

drat, my guess was Prudence.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

These are just making me really sad now, you seem like you were so lonely :smith:

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

These are just making me really sad now, you seem like you were so lonely :smith:

I guess I was. I'm fine now, though! I mean, everyone is lonely sometimes, especially people on the internet. It helped a lot that I've been able to go to therapy for my anxiety problems as an adult. Looking back, it's so obvious I've had generalized anxiety disorder since forever, but it just wasn't a thing my parents thought to seek help about. I'm not going to pretend like I still don't struggle with loneliness, but I handle it in healthy ways now. It has actually been a surprisingly relieving experience to post this stuff here! I chose to forget a lot of this stuff, but it's part of who I am. It's also really fun to talk to other goons who can relate to this weirdness, because I don't know any people in real life who have done stuff like this.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

cptn_dr posted:

My neighbour's daughters are named Julia and Michelle, after Beatles songs.

At least those are actually normal names! I have the facebook screencaps to prove that a friend of mine has named all her children weird and stupid things. Possibly the friend of HelloIAmYourHeart as well.

my darling feet
May 9, 2007
are truly captivating
I have a friend who named her daughter Lilianna. It's dangerously close to Leila/Leia. At her wedding, she had Dr. Who centerpieces and a life sized R2D2 that she took on her dance floor for the first dance. Her daughter's cousin is named Anakin. First time I saw that, it took all I had not to bitch out the poor, selfish parenting that was done by inflicting that name on a baby.

But I didn't, because you know, facebook drama :downs:

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Liliana and Leila are real names, at least. That's nowhere near the level of calling your kid Anakin or Kal-El.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My crazy friend from middle school ended up having a kid named Adrian Graham (AngloSurname), which could be a fuckton worse as crazy-person naming goes. It was still a sad, weird situation (she deliberately conceived so that her parents would let her marry her weird boyfriend, the parents flipped out, she broke up with the boyfriend before the kid was born, and as far as I know the boyfriend has never seen his son), but at least he didn't end up named Link Zelgadis Hercules or something.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

my darling feet posted:

I have a friend who named her daughter Lilianna. It's dangerously close to Leila/Leia. At her wedding, she had Dr. Who centerpieces and a life sized R2D2 that she took on her dance floor for the first dance. Her daughter's cousin is named Anakin. First time I saw that, it took all I had not to bitch out the poor, selfish parenting that was done by inflicting that name on a baby.

But I didn't, because you know, facebook drama :downs:

Leila is a likely name for my future children, because: 1. It's pretty, 2. I'm part Egyptian and my family lives in the Middle East, so it's not totally out of left field, and 3. It was my stripper name, and by stripper name, I mean the name I used to be called at work when I taught at a Japanese preschool because there was already another person there with the same name as me. But it has been a stripper name before: http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Naked-Truth-About-Stripping/dp/1580051219.

It is a very common real name, though.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I know an Aragorn and an Arwen (not related to each other). I've also met a guy whose parents had the brilliant idea of naming him Twinkle. He was the lead singer in a gothic rock band. He usually told people his name was Richard.

All of these people would be in their mid to late 30s -- it's not just our generation that does hosed up poo poo like this.

great_heron
Oct 1, 2011

A family friend named her son (who's probably like 40 or so now) Arrakis, after the planet from Dune. Fictional planets also appear to be fair game.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I know an Aragorn and an Arwen (not related to each other). I've also met a guy whose parents had the brilliant idea of naming him Twinkle. He was the lead singer in a gothic rock band. He usually told people his name was Richard.

All of these people would be in their mid to late 30s -- it's not just our generation that does hosed up poo poo like this.

You should look up the old hippie kid names. Rainforest, Rainbeaugh (he used to be in publishing), Free--it was ghastly.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Hitmage posted:

A family friend named her son (who's probably like 40 or so now) Arrakis, after the planet from Dune. Fictional planets also appear to be fair game.

I know two Chanis. :ohdear:

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
Oooh man. Reading this thread made me amazingly thankful that
a )I knew nobody like Denise
and
b) I didn't turn out like Denise.

I think that if I had internet access when I was around 12-14 years old and knew that there was such thing as fanfiction.net, things would've been a lot worse for me. I started out as a total anime/manga nerd. Thankfully my manga of choice was Rurouni Kenshin, which really isn't that bad as far as mangas go. It was just a straight-forward sorta historical action story with some subtle romance in the mix. I did have a ~major crush~ on the titular main character, though, and wrote fanfiction about him-- sometimes self-insert, too, of course-- all the time in my notebooks. I also made up a character who was a ~demon with long silver hair~ (Not related to the Rurouni Kenshin stuff of course; that dude was just a separate thing). What is it with anime nerds and dudes with long silver hair, anyway...? After awhile, I also became a music nerd, and I hit a humongous wall of panic/anxiety/depression when I was about 15 for a few reasons (one of which involving an emotionally abusive teacher; fun times). I felt really alone and isolated. It didn't help that I was already pretty drat awkward and shy to begin with, and lived in my own head all the time. I only bring up the music nerdery because I also had a huge crush on this guy from an old band and after awhile I was SURE that even though he was old, there would be someone who would either look exactly like him, or-- even more crazy-- there would be some magical way where I could go back in time and ~be with him~.

....Yeah.

I think the only thing that made everything better was the fact that I was still sane enough to not tell anybody any of this, because I knew it was crazy. Thankfully I am better now. I still have anxiety and depression but I have friends and I understand that celeb crushes are just that-- crushes. When I was a teen I didn't seem to grasp that concept for whatever reason.

tl;dr: I almost took the Denise road but thankfully because of lack-of-internet at the right time, therapy, and growing up, I never got that bad and I'm relatively a-ok now.

Classic Comrade fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 9, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Yeah, having an intense overly-enriched fantasy life during times of stress is pretty normal, even healthy. Telling all the details to everyone you know, and insisting that they pretend to believe your delusions or CHECK THEIR PRIVILEGE, is less so.

e: I don't know poo poo about Twilight, so when that image loaded at the top of the page I only just realised that Bella's last name is Swan. Like... the Ugly Duckling who grew up to be more special than anyone and put all the normative ducks to shame. Uugggggghhhh,

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

To add to the stupid names, a former friend of my dad named his youngest son Zenith (Zen for short). He found it by picking up a random comic from his collection and flipping through it. :smith:

Zen is now 20, been in and out of prison since leaving school at 16, an alcoholic, has several kids to different girls, and posts conspiracy image macros on Facebook, using the word "Sheeple".

Edit: This is in Scotland btw, for anyone curious.

moerketid fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 9, 2013

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

When it comes to stupid names, I do have to laugh when someone picks something really avant garde and the kid ends up either changing their name to something more common. I know I've posted it here on the forums at some point, but a friend named her first daughter Kaeyvounia Brett because she wanted a unique first name that had all the vowels in it, and Brett for the wrester Brett Michaels who she had a thing for. To this day I still can't spell that first name right and as the years went on that daughter ended up just going by Kay.

I was almost named Moonbeam by my then hippy parents and it was only because the Catholic Church back in the day did have a say in what one named their kid that I ended up with something far more mundane for a first name and a compromise made on my middle name. Funny thing is that over the years I've learned that Moonbeam's pretty much the hippy equivalent Mary or Jane, so I guess all in all, one person's unique name ends up being common as can be for someone else.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
To continue namechat, a friend of a friend named their son "Lenin", so it's not just the hippies who do this.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
All these make me thankful that I am not even in the same continent or culture as these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

bringmyfishback posted:

I know two Chanis. :ohdear:

I once named a cat that. But to be fair, I was about fifteen at the time. Also, I think naming pets things of this nature is a little more acceptable than inflicting this poo poo on children.

• Locked thread