Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Noxin of Shame posted:

I'm pretty sure that it was Andre Adams batting, no idea who the bowler was though.

Oh geez, apparently it was in 2007. No video of it which sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Wonder if those Gatorade segways could deliver some overpriced memorabilia to my seat on the Coca Cola beach.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Is that the second wrongly called no-ball today (when it was a legal delivery)?

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Windmill Hut posted:

Is that the second wrongly called no-ball today (when it was a legal delivery)?

Yep. But Bird doesn't need to bowl so close to the line. I don't understand the modern bowler's insistence to come so far forward with their front foot. It's asking for no balls.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Bharatrocity posted:

Wonder if those Gatorade segways could deliver some overpriced memorabilia to my seat on the Coca Cola beach.

Sounds like that would be a Toyota memorable moment, perhaps leading to a hard earned thirst that can only be quenched by a VB.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Wade, I like you, but stop loving dropping catches and missing stumpings. Don't become another Haddin, please.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Wade is comfortably the worst test keeper I can remember watching in my lifetime.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Some good shots being played here by the SL players, loving glorious pull by Jayawardene an over or two ago.

I like Bird's bowling, not only does he remind me of Stuart Clark with his action and consistent length, but it just looks like he bowls a heavy ball - hits the bat hard. Good stuff.

One thing I do like about the Nine commentary is Healy's critique of Wade's keeping - I know he's a fuckwit but also he was the best keeper.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Hyperriker posted:

Some good shots being played here by the SL players, loving glorious pull by Jayawardene an over or two ago.

I like Bird's bowling, not only does he remind me of Stuart Clark with his action and consistent length, but it just looks like he bowls a heavy ball - hits the bat hard. Good stuff.

One thing I do like about the Nine commentary is Healy's critique of Wade's keeping - I know he's a fuckwit but also he was the best keeper.

People actually listen to the nine commentary?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Wade is comfortably the worst test keeper I can remember watching in my lifetime.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Fanelien posted:

People actually listen to the nine commentary?

I normally get the shits with it in five seconds and turn the radio on, but I only just got home from work and I'm out the door again in half an hour or so, can't be arsed tuning in.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Sorry I meant Australian keepers. Good point. Wade is awful with the gloves. Makes haddin look like Healy.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Was Healy good? Don't think I ever saw him play.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

He was the best actual keeper I've seen play for Australia. Gilly will always make all time best sides ahead of him on his batting but Healy was the better gloveman. Especially keeping to Warne.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Hyperriker posted:

Stuart Clark owned. I wish we had him around (as a younger guy) now.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
And Julia Gillard in Grandstand out of nowhere.

I love Grandstand.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Darren Berry was the best keeper in the world for 10 years and his failure to win a test cap is one of this nations greatest sporting tragedies.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Tony A. Butt posted:

Darren Berry was the best keeper in the world for 10 years and his failure to win a test cap is one of this nations greatest sporting tragedies.

Yes he was a very skilled keeper but was also a gigantic dickhead so its probably for the best.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

THE BIG BIRD

e: Question for people who play cricket properly/competitively: How sensitive are you to feeling an edge? If you knick it, even the faintest edge, do you always feel it in your hands?

Windmill Hut fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 5, 2013

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Healy, best keeper in the world.

http://youtu.be/9XQL889P4ro?t=4m21s

Video also includes some lol straya catching.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Hotline Miami twitter icon is the highlight on channel 9s coverage.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Windmill Hut posted:

THE BIG BIRD

e: Question for people who play cricket properly/competitively: How sensitive are you to feeling an edge? If you knick it, even the faintest edge, do you always feel it in your hands?

Depends if you're playing with hard hands or soft hands mainly, with a loose grip on a defensive push, a faint nick can be really hard to feel. But when you're playing a proper shot with a strong grip you feel everything. I guess it also depends on if you double up your grips, use inner gloves, etc. I use one quite thin grip and no inner gloves, some people use two of those big thick octopus style grips which increase the thickness of the handle and lighten the pick up of the bat, but also add extra shock absorption.

tl;dr: depends on the player.

Edit: I can't be the only player in this thread.

Fanelien fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 5, 2013

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

Oh geez, apparently it was in 2007. No video of it which sucks.

there is always a video

edit: gently caress it was on the cricket show on sky

nzspambot fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 5, 2013

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

I think keepers who are deliberately playing badly don't really count.

baked
Apr 1, 2005

i took a little nap where the roots all twist; squished a rotten peach in my fist.
Dumb shot. What the hell is he playing like that for? There's plenty of time for SL to accumulate runs at a non-T20 pace.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
What in the gently caress was Samaraweera playing at??

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Terrible collapse by Sri Lanka.

Pig in the City
Oct 7, 2007

That'll do, pig. That'll do.
Going to miss that sweet 5th day pay check. loving hell SL

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

baked posted:

Dumb shot. What the hell is he playing like that for? There's plenty of time for SL to accumulate runs at a non-T20 pace.

Too much t20 and ODI cricket lead to hilarious collapses like this.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Windmill Hut posted:

THE BIG BIRD

You usually know if you hit it but not always. Hitting the ground or your pads/feet around the same time as the edge is usually why, or if it's a really faint one.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, usually you'll know unless you hit something else on the way through.

Then again, I normally play with no inner gloves and single grip

Pig in the City
Oct 7, 2007

On a side topic (and shut me up if this has been brought up recently), surely it can't be long now until a cricketer breaks the gender divide? At the very least at state level if not soon First Class.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Windmill Hut posted:

Basically, yes you feel it. There are variables, as explained, but anything loud enough that the slips and umpire will hear, you definitely feel.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Pig in the City posted:

On a side topic (and shut me up if this has been brought up recently), surely it can't be long now until a cricketer breaks the gender divide? At the very least at state level if not soon First Class.

Not even my pub-grade association would allow it, unfortunately it may be some time off.

I wonder if they will move Hussey up a few spots to get a hit tomorrow (it isn't usually done though)?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Pig in the City posted:

It would be very interesting to see a top tier international men's team play its counterpart ladies team.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

They'd roll us.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

The Biscuit posted:

Not even my pub-grade association would allow it, unfortunately it may be some time off.

I wonder if they will move Hussey up a few spots to get a hit tomorrow (it isn't usually done though)?
It's the least Clarke owes him after that shambles in the first innings

Pig in the City
Oct 7, 2007

fuckpot posted:

It would be very interesting to see a top tier international men's team play its counterpart ladies team.

Like the old Australia Vs. Australia A games. I'd buy a ticket.

That said, I'd rather women in the game not become a Globetrotter-esque gimmick

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Did you watch any of the woman's T20 matches at the world cup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002

The Biscuit posted:

Really? That's a bit surprising. I've played against state level female cricketers in my local district comp. Never seen anything about it not being allowed.

• Locked thread