Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There is enameling on the inside of the pan as well, black enamel. It will be non-reactive with foods, which means never having to worry about your seasoning coming off or whether your food is acidic.

Re: regular cast iron: If your roommate is stupid she will leave it in the sink submerged in soap and water, and this will cause the seasoning layer to come off or for the pan to rust. This can always be fixed by reseasoning or cooking with oil.

On the other hand, enamel can be damaged eventually if you scratch it the hell up with metal utensils, but that takes a long time.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Personally I'd go with the lodge pan, it would probably last a lifetime. Seriously it's the kind of thing you could hand down to your grandkids if you treat it well. Unfortunately it's easy to damage, so I'd recommend just storing it under a bed or something so it's out of the prying hands of roommates. The price for the bare cast-iron doesn't mean anything to some extent. Lodge is a well-known brand and I wouldn't spend any more than what they charge for a new pan. The other alternative to buying a lodge pan is to hunt for one in an antique store or a goodwill or something like that, but they might be a bit expensive. I think Griswold and Wagner were the old brands that are common.

On a related cast iron note, I've got this little cast iron pan (like a one-egg type of pan) that I've been cooking eggs in a lot. It works pretty well for over-easy eggs and there's little to no sticking, but sometime when I do other styles some black stuff comes off the bottom. Is that dangerous? Can I avoid it somehow? I figure my alternative is to strip it down and re-season it.

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010
As far as enameled pans go, I bought this one a couple years ago for like 20 bucks: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DJBNK/

It performs every bit as well as my Le Creuset pan. Unfortunately it's out of stock and I'm not sure who carries it anymore.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Eeyo posted:

On a related cast iron note, I've got this little cast iron pan (like a one-egg type of pan) that I've been cooking eggs in a lot. It works pretty well for over-easy eggs and there's little to no sticking, but sometime when I do other styles some black stuff comes off the bottom. Is that dangerous? Can I avoid it somehow? I figure my alternative is to strip it down and re-season it.
It's probably chunks of old food that's been carbonized by heat and time. It's pretty much inert and you can look at it as the ghost of meals past. Hey there little cast iron pan, you've been with me for a long time. :unsmith:

If if really freaks you out then strip the pan, wire brush it down to bare metal, cook bacon in it to fatten it back up and rebuild its seasoning over time. Thing is, those little specks will start cropping up again so I wouldn't worry about them.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

foresight posted:

Anyone have experience working with fresh horseradish? I make horseradish aioli for work, but I've never been fully satisfied with the result. What I do is make about a quart of aioli, then peel and chop up a horseradish root. That goes in the Vitaprep with some vinegar and water, because I've heard that vinegar keeps the horseradish from losing all of its heat.

I puree the stuff, strain it so I have about 2 cups of just the horsey pulp, which at this point absolutely blasts my face off, but as soon as I add it to the aioli I feel like it just dies. No heat, no horseradish flavor. So if anyone has made this stuff from scratch before, would love to hear about your method. Thanks.

You may not be using enough horseradish as dumb as that sounds. Aioli tolerates a lot of flavoring before it will start to come through. Continue to add more horseradish until it reaches a level you like. Be prepared to use what seems like a stupid amount.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

uncloudy day posted:

My girlfriend's birthday is coming up and I want to get her a nice cast iron frying pan. We cook a lot and often have to substitute a stainless or aluminum pan for a cast iron pan, because neither of us own one. I want something durable, and preferably, something her roommate can't easily gently caress up. She has an awful history of using things that aren't hers and I don't trust her.

I was looking around on Amazon and this one looks really nice http://www.amazon.com/Staub-Inch-Cast-Iron-Grenadine/dp/B007ZIGPS6/ and similar to a Le Creuset pan.

And then there's this one. http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L10SK3-12-Inch-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet/dp/B00006JSUB

Price isn't really an option. I can afford to spend upwards of $100 for one piece. Is price a good indicator of quality? What does a Le Creuset or Staub pan offer that a Lodge one doesn't, besides the beautiful colored bottom?

Part of the reason to go for a Le Creuset is honestly because it's attractive and is a very nice gift, whereas a Lodge is definitely something one would buy oneself (cheap and durable). The Le Creuset is definitely durable, just not cheap.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

uncloudy day posted:

My girlfriend's birthday is coming up and I want to get her a nice cast iron frying pan.
Price isn't really an option. I can afford to spend upwards of $100 for one piece.

Is your girlfriend an incredibly keen cook? Because if not, she is going to be disappointed with a pan for her birthday.

Have you thought about buying her something else? I love cooking, and I'd be pretty irritated if my wife bought me a pan for my birthday. A pasta machine, fine, but a pan? Especially when you talk about how neither of you own one. It sounds like a bit of a present for yourself as much as her.

$100 could be spent on something much more fun and frivolous.

Favela Flav
Dec 24, 2009
I kinda sorta need some advice about chicken thighs, if anyone can help me out...

Well, not kinda, literally need some advice about chicken thighs, but "kinda sorta" sounds more conversational. About this time yesterday, I marinated some chicken thighs, and it's way too goddamn hot to cook 'em the way I wanted to, so I'm kinda wondering if they'll still be okay to bake early tomorrow morning. If it was a cream or dairy marinade I would just cut my losses.

They're sitting in the bottom of my fridge at 3 celcius, soaking in lemon juice, olive oil, harissa paste garlic and spanish onion, and they're in an airtight container. I'm a bit skeptical though because they were frozen and defrosted. e: I did rinse them under cold water and then soak them in an ice bath before popping them into the marinade just to be safe.

I'm planning on slow roasting those motherfuckers in passata and shredding them for enchiladas for a BBQ. I'm not quite sure though whether they'll still be okay after a good 30hr marination after being frozen and defrosted. Will they still be okay or should I not risk it... The idea is too grill em and then slow roast for about 2 hours... if I start at 10 they should be ready by lunchtime-ish.

Favela Flav fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 5, 2013

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Favela Flav posted:

I kinda sorta need some advice about chicken thighs, if anyone can help me out...

They'll be fine. Take them to 165F+ and they'll be good to go.

Thei
Apr 17, 2012

Won't somebody think of the tentacles?!

Favela Flav posted:

Will they still be okay or should I not risk it...

They'll be absolutely fine. The lemon, oil and garlic are acting as preservatives/antibacterials as well as imparting flavour.

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010

Scientastic posted:

Is your girlfriend an incredibly keen cook? Because if not, she is going to be disappointed with a pan for her birthday.

I can spend $100 on something fun and frivolous anytime we want. A cast iron pan is a kitchen staple that she's missing and could possibly use every night. A home pasta machine would get used about twice a month. Not an incredibly keen idea.

Thanks for the rest of the advice on the actual cookware and not my gift giving abilities, everybody.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Something else that comes to mind if she doesn't already have one is a spice rack and a nice assortment of spices.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

uncloudy day posted:

I can spend $100 on something fun and frivolous anytime we want. A cast iron pan is a kitchen staple that she's missing and could possibly use every night.

You and I must have very different other halves. If I bought my wife anything practical (that I would also be using) for her birthday, she would be pretty sad. Maybe your girlfriend will love it, but I'm pretty sure birthday presents are meant to be special/fun/exciting, not "kitchen staples".

Edit: I also wasn't trying to suggest you should buy her a pasta machine. It's just slightly more interesting than a pan.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My husband buys me kitchen stuff for almost every major gift giving occasion, and I'm very happy with that, so YMMV.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Yep, I'm quite happy with "regular" kitchen tools as gifts, and depending on the fun/frivolous item, sometimes would prefer it, sounds like his girlfriend may be the same way. I'm pretty sure his knowledge of what she would like is more useful in guiding his gift buying than the preferences of Scientastic's wife.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

mich posted:

I'm pretty sure his knowledge of what she would like is more useful in guiding his gift buying than the preferences of Scientastic's wife.

Good point. I'll shut up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I plan on giving the hakata ramen recipe on the GWS wiki a go in a couple of weeks. For the Chashu how important is the mirin? I've got everything else to hand other than that. Is there anything I can sub it with?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

uncloudy day posted:

Thanks for the rest of the advice on the actual cookware and not my gift giving abilities, everybody.
Oh, I don't think Scientastic meant any harm

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Yes, the city of towers, baguettes and all things equally phallic. I'm spending over a week there in July and was wondering if anybody knows some must-eats there. Looking for both casual french food and some nicer places to take my gf who paid for the entire trip.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mich posted:

Yep, I'm quite happy with "regular" kitchen tools as gifts, and depending on the fun/frivolous item, sometimes would prefer it, sounds like his girlfriend may be the same way. I'm pretty sure his knowledge of what she would like is more useful in guiding his gift buying than the preferences of Scientastic's wife.

I'd be really irritated if someone got me a kitchen tool that isn't one that I can use frequently, if not every night. My kitchen is tiny, as is my apartment, and I don't have space for all kind of stuff that I'm not using on a regular basis. D: So if you got me something like a pasta maker, or a meat slicer (yes, I know you could use it to slice cabbages too), I'd be annoyed, because I'll hardly ever use it, and now I have to find somewhere to put the thing.

Scott Bakula posted:

I plan on giving the hakata ramen recipe on the GWS wiki a go in a couple of weeks. For the Chashu how important is the mirin? I've got everything else to hand other than that. Is there anything I can sub it with?
Any sort of sweet white wine should do the trick.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Am having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and I'm going to make either ravioli or tortellini from scratch. I'm fine with making the pasta, I'm just wondering what to stuff them with that's a little different to the obvious fillings (spinach/ricotta etc). I've heard sage and butternut squash goes well, I'd like to make two or three different types and they need to be vegetarian.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pumpkin, basil and pinenut is a good one.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I was working up a dish of South African oxtail stew for my slow-cooker. I looked up a variety of recipes and made a few modifications, and overall it's tasty but came out a little tangier and sweeter than I expected. The recipe did call for a lot of vinegar, and in fairness I did end up incorporating a decent number of sweet things from various recipes, like a little jaggery, and a sweeter than dry wine. But I think what pushed it hard was instead of pouring in brandy, I poured in some yellow currants that had been steeping in rye for half a month. The brandy is traditional, and there are just so many Boer recipes that use dried fruit with meat, it just seemed a good way to finally use those currants.

Is there a standard method of balancing out stews that are a little sweeter than desired, or would adding more savoury spices or salt just over-flavour it? It's not like it's horrible-sweet or anything, just it turned out sweeter than I expected.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Am having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and I'm going to make either ravioli or tortellini from scratch. I'm fine with making the pasta, I'm just wondering what to stuff them with that's a little different to the obvious fillings (spinach/ricotta etc). I've heard sage and butternut squash goes well, I'd like to make two or three different types and they need to be vegetarian.

What about chopped/minced mushrooms? Maybe some portabellas just cooked down in a skillet with a little butter and shallot, splash of white wine...

Butternut squash as you mentioned would probably be good, as would pumpkin (A favorite of mine). I don't know how well other squash would work as fillings texture wise, but I love zucchini and acorn squash so those might work.

What about a "reverse" ravioli. The filling is tomato based, maybe sun dried with some basil and just a touch of feta, and do a cheese based sauce to serve it with. Or maybe a little more down the "greek" style and use some olives in the filling as well. Add a bit of garlic and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Because I wanted to make a couple of different kinds but don't want two sauces as that'd get messy on the plate I've decided on roasted butternut squash with nutmeg and parmesan, and this homemade ricotta and lemon stuffing namely because they both would work well with a sage brown butter sauce, and I'm curious to try making my own ricotta. That said am I likely to be able to get cheesecloth from my local massive Tesco?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Scott Bakula posted:

According Makiko Itoh, you could use sake or sweet brandy instead of mirin. I've also heard of people using vodka as a substitute, but honestly, mirin's a good kitchen staple and not too expensive, so if it's not hard for you to obtain it, I'd spring for a bottle.

EDIT: If you live in Montana, you can borrow some of mine!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

Because I wanted to make a couple of different kinds but don't want two sauces as that'd get messy on the plate I've decided on roasted butternut squash with nutmeg and parmesan, and this homemade ricotta and lemon stuffing namely because they both would work well with a sage brown butter sauce, and I'm curious to try making my own ricotta. That said am I likely to be able to get cheesecloth from my local massive Tesco?

Almost certainly. It'll be in the bakeware section next to the ladles and meat thermometers and skewers and whatever.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm fairly embarrassed to admit this, but I once used clean, new pantyhose in place of cheesecloth. It worked surprisingly well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey sometimes you have to cook by the seat of your pants

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bringmyfishback posted:

I'm fairly embarrassed to admit this, but I once used clean, new pantyhose in place of cheesecloth. It worked surprisingly well.

Just as well? Cheesecloth doesn't exist where I live, but I can get pantyhose. This is interesting information.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

How does someone that goes by the handle "Grand Fromage" not have access to cheesecloth?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Can anyone think of any uses for loose tea (English Breakfast), other than making tea with it?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Kenning posted:

How does someone that goes by the handle "Grand Fromage" not have access to cheesecloth?

I go by criscodisco, and have never once used Crisco. I just thought it was a funny rhyme.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Scientastic posted:

Can anyone think of any uses for loose tea (English Breakfast), other than making tea with it?

Sugar cookies! I've made them with Earl Grey before (which is admittedly a more delicate flavour) but I don't see any reason you couldn't use English Breakfast. I made these during my holiday baking and they came out beautifully, if you're looking for similar references (plus, the cutters she uses are absolutely darling).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kenning posted:

For some reason, not a lot of home cheese making in Korea. :iiam:

There's probably somewhere I can get it but I've never been able to find it, and no one I know has either. If pantyhose works fine, that's easy.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Grand Fromage posted:

For some reason, not a lot of home cheese making in Korea. :iiam:

There's probably somewhere I can get it but I've never been able to find it, and no one I know has either. If pantyhose works fine, that's easy.

Maybe home tofu making kits? They have to strain the tofu the same way as those who make cheese.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mach420 posted:

Maybe home tofu making kits? They have to strain the tofu the same way as those who make cheese.

I thought about that, unfortunately none of my friends have any idea what I'm talking about and my Korean's not good enough to try to ask people at markets. There's supposedly some kind of kimchi bag with a fabric similar to cheesecloth but I've never found that either.

It's not a huge deal--I've been using paper coffee filters for straining stuff like yogurt and queso fresco and they work pretty well.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Vagueabond posted:

Sugar cookies! I've made them with Earl Grey before (which is admittedly a more delicate flavour) but I don't see any reason you couldn't use English Breakfast. I made these during my holiday baking and they came out beautifully, if you're looking for similar references (plus, the cutters she uses are absolutely darling).

Fantastic! I have some new dinosaur-shaped cutters, so this is perfect.

However, the amount of tea I have will probably make a billion cookies, so any other ideas are appreciated.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

I thought about that, unfortunately none of my friends have any idea what I'm talking about and my Korean's not good enough to try to ask people at markets. There's supposedly some kind of kimchi bag with a fabric similar to cheesecloth but I've never found that either.

It's not a huge deal--I've been using paper coffee filters for straining stuff like yogurt and queso fresco and they work pretty well.

Muslin from a fabric shop or baby supplies shop. We and other parents use shitloads of muslins. I think they refer to them as burp clothes in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thei
Apr 17, 2012

Won't somebody think of the tentacles?!

Scientastic posted:

Fantastic! I have some new dinosaur-shaped cutters, so this is perfect.

However, the amount of tea I have will probably make a billion cookies, so any other ideas are appreciated.

Tea infused ice-cream or Gin? Maybe English Breakfast tea ice lollies... The difficulty with English Breakfast tea is that it's relatively strong blend.