Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
Just took my rMBP 15" in to get the screen replaced due to image retention issues. Got to the point where closing my browser would leave an afterimage on the screen for 3-4 minutes. The guy at the store tried to talk me out of it, saying this was normal and expected from an IPS display, kind of funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

rsjr posted:

Just took my rMBP 15" in to get the screen replaced due to image retention issues. Got to the point where closing my browser would leave an afterimage on the screen for 3-4 minutes. The guy at the store tried to talk me out of it, saying this was normal and expected from an IPS display, kind of funny.

So another case of the LG panel curse?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
He knows just as well as everyone else that you'll still be playing the panel lottery and it may not be any different with your replacement.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Changing the top case is such a to do, im not surprised he tried to talk you out of it.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Don Lapre posted:

Changing the top case is such a to do, im not surprised he tried to talk you out of it.

You don't have to switch the top case to replace the display. The display takes like 20 minutes. Still, they probably have a lot of other actually broken poo poo to repair.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

I wonder how they even replace parts in the Retina modes due to bonding method used for the batteries and also screen?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

1997 posted:

You don't have to switch the top case to replace the display. The display takes like 20 minutes. Still, they probably have a lot of other actually broken poo poo to repair.

Sorry, when i say top case i mean, the lcd assembly.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

rsjr posted:

I explained that I design on it and had a photo showing how bad the checkered pattern looked test after 3-4 mins. Guy was totally cool with changing it, even though he said it only just failed their "image retention test".

They want to ward off any inexperienced users because it costs them ~£450 to replace it. If you sound remotely knowledgable about the issue, they usually won't risk trying to bullshit you.

I did get a Samsung screen as a replacement. I imagine they stock more of them, or at least have some way to identify them so users don't come back for future repairs.

Hardflip fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 5, 2013

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
As my MBP enters its third year I'm starting to think about either updating or upgrading it (to a new MBP). How long do you guys take between upgrades?

It's got a 320M graphics card which is not far behind the current ones, so I could maybe wrangle a couple more years from it with 8GB of memory and an SSD.

I'd be missing out on much faster processors (I've got a 2.4GHz C2D) and retina, also integrated graphics may very well jump in quality during 2013.

I'm terrible with money, please help me make decisions

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

poty posted:

As my MBP enters its third year I'm starting to think about either updating or upgrading it (to a new MBP). How long do you guys take between upgrades?

It's got a 320M graphics card which is not far behind the current ones, so I could maybe wrangle a couple more years from it with 8GB of memory and an SSD.

I'd be missing out on much faster processors (I've got a 2.4GHz C2D) and retina, also integrated graphics may very well jump in quality during 2013.

I'm terrible with money, please help me make decisions

What do you do with it? Do you need a fancy 3D card, quad-core CPU or anything like that?

Between high resale values and finding Macs on sale at Microcenter or Amazon you can basically upgrade every year for $100-$200 out of your pocket. But on the other hand, a 'old' (2009) Mac with an SSD and 8GB of RAM is very usable for most people.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I think videogames got the idea in my head.

80% of the time it's loving about on the internet really (it struggles a tiny bit on some bad flash sites like thedailyshow.com). The other 20% is transcoding avi to mp4 for the iThings (which it does fine), Java and ObjC development (no big complaints there either) and, lately, playing Civ V.

Civ V gets really slow in the later stages of the game and I guess I would play some more videogames if the computer was powerful enough. I bought CS:GO but had to return it because it was too sluggish to play. And I'd love to play Natural Selection 2 in VMWare if it was possible.

Then again it is rather silly to spend $1700 to play a bunch of games worth $30 combined at the moment, isn't it

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I am dead set on a MacBook Air, but I don't know if I should go ahead and pull the trigger now, or wait until the next update. What is the general advice this time of year?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dirk Pitt posted:

I am dead set on a MacBook Air, but I don't know if I should go ahead and pull the trigger now, or wait until the next update. What is the general advice this time of year?

Just go with the OP advice if you need it buy but don't buy if you have a functional laptop that works well you can afford to wait.

I got Ivy Bridge MBA this year since my old jalopy laptop from college finally died.

The next MBA update is probably around June when the Haswell CPUs are released.

No big changes in the overall lineup are planned besides a slight shrink in the MBA dimensions and finally killing off the Non-Retina MBP line.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Well you can sell your old MBP/MBA for a good chunk of change.

Personally I'm waiting for the next iteration of the MBA to come out before upgrading. Something about the new Intel chipset going to be amazing and I don't "need" to upgrade yet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well you can sell your old MBP/MBA for a good chunk of change.

Personally I'm waiting for the next iteration of the MBA to come out before upgrading. Something about the new Intel chipset going to be amazing and I don't "need" to upgrade yet.

Yeah it's best to wait two generations before upgrading in order to get the best resale price and also the best value upgrade advantage.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

etalian posted:

Just go with the OP advice if you need it buy but don't buy if you have a functional laptop that works well you can afford to wait.

I got Ivy Bridge MBA this year since my old jalopy laptop from college finally died.

The next MBA update is probably around June when the Haswell CPUs are released.

No big changes in the overall lineup are planned besides a slight shrink in the MBA dimensions and finally killing off the Non-Retina MBP line.

Thanks, I guess I missed that line from the OP. I will be doing basic web development and want it so I can dabble in IOS. Is the new MacBook Air going to have the Haswell CPU? It is tough for me to tell since the release times are so close.

It can wait as the BYOD policy my company is implementing is still a few months out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dirk Pitt posted:

Is the new MacBook Air going to have the Haswell CPU? It is tough for me to tell since the release times are so close.

It would be unthinkable for Apple to release 'new' Macbook Air without Haswell being out. I might be wrong but the ultra-low voltage chips used in the Air won't be out until after the regular Haswell chips, so you'll see desktop chips out first.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I'm probably going to buy a new base level mac mini to replace my early 2008 iMac (which died). I want to add an SSD myself. Can anyone tell me whether the base mini has room enough for a second HDD? Are the internals layed out exactly like the server model? Do they have caddies or will I have to buy these seperately? I heard somewhere that adding a second HDD requires a complete teardown but if you just want to replace the HDD with a SSD it does not. Is this true?

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

KingEup posted:

I'm probably going to buy a new base level mac mini to replace my early 2008 iMac (which died). I want to add an SSD myself. Can anyone tell me whether the base mini has room enough for a second HDD? Are the internals layed out exactly like the server model? Do they have caddies or will I have to buy these seperately? I heard somewhere that adding a second HDD requires a complete teardown but if you just want to replace the HDD with a SSD it does not. Is this true?

I've been thinking about doing the same thing every time I see 2011 and 2012 Mac minis in the refurb store but for now my willpower is strong enough to resist since my trusty 2008 Mac mini is still trucking along fine as my HTPC.

According to this iFixit guide it seems like there's a moderate amount of things to remove to get to the hard drive and I think you need to replace the single hard drive tray with a dual tray if you wanted to have two internal drives.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+Mac+Mini+Mid+2011+Dual+Hard+Drive+Kit/6634/1?singlePage

Hmm weird, seems like the latest version of Webkit is having problems displaying that page.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I added another hard drive (dual 240gig ssd's) to my mac mini.

The SSDs I have: http://www.amazon.com/Mushkin-Chron...mushkin+chronos

the dual hard drive kit I used:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMM11D2/

the entire operation took about 20 minutes and was relatively painless. Just follow the youtube video in the second link to the letter and you will be fine. The instructions are the same for the 2011 model as they are for the 2012.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

It would be unthinkable for Apple to release 'new' Macbook Air without Haswell being out. I might be wrong but the ultra-low voltage chips used in the Air won't be out until after the regular Haswell chips, so you'll see desktop chips out first.

Yup Haswell is set for 3rd quarter release in 2013, so probably June or August similar to the Ivy Bridge release this year.

So the Apple refresh cycle for the MBA is basically tracking the latest Intel CPU refresh cycle.

For the whole MBA Air there line has also been some minor improvements over the last few years such as upgrading the webcam but the design is staying pretty much the same.

I believe the only other minor improvement for the line will be using slightly different components to add in a tiny weight and dimension savings.

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 6, 2013

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I've been having issues with my 2009 Mac Pro. Recently it's become very slow at streaming content to my Apple TV 2. I don't think it's the Apple TV or router as other device can stream HD videos to it no problem, but the Mac Pro (which acts as the media server in our house) can't seem to keep up. When checking a speed test it seems the Pro is uploading pretty slowly compared to other devices (downloading speed is still very good) so I'm assuming it might be a problem with the wireless card? I have no idea though. Is this a known issue or does anyone have any idea of what may remedy the problem?

Thanks.

Pimping Giraffe
Feb 22, 2006
Forum Giraffe Pimper?
So the hard drive in my Macbook Pro that I bought in January of 2011 has died on me and I am looking for a replacement.

Can someone tell me what type of drive works with these? I'll have to source it locally, as I live in Dubai and ordering online is expensive, so I'm hoping to get a feel for what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pimping Giraffe posted:

So the hard drive in my Macbook Pro that I bought in January of 2011 has died on me and I am looking for a replacement.

Can someone tell me what type of drive works with these? I'll have to source it locally, as I live in Dubai and ordering online is expensive, so I'm hoping to get a feel for what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

You're in luck since the old MBP use the standard laptop SATA HD 2.5" form factor.

Ideally just upgrade it to a 256MB SSD since the drive died.

Link for instructions:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/macbook-pro-unibody-faq/macbook-pro-13-15-17-mid-2009-how-to-upgrade-hard-drive-ssd.html

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there any way to check if your rMBP is susceptible to the image burn in problems? I haven't experienced it but better safe than sorry.

etalian posted:

Ideally just upgrade it to a 256MB SSD since the drive died.

Not sure you'd fit much on there nowadays :cheeky:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Well, yesterday I had myself convinced a MacBook Air was my future now I am thinking a retina 13" MBP would suit my needs fin for $200 more.

Why are reviews so harsh on the 13" rMBP? It seems like a perfectly capable machine, even for a software developer like me. It is portable and powerful, which seems to fit my needs perfectly.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

rsjr posted:

The guy at the store tried to talk me out of it, saying this was normal and expected from an IPS display, kind of funny.

That's really disappointing.

Have they managed to resolve the IPS issues by now at least?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dirk Pitt posted:

Well, yesterday I had myself convinced a MacBook Air was my future now I am thinking a retina 13" MBP would suit my needs fin for $200 more.

Why are reviews so harsh on the 13" rMBP? It seems like a perfectly capable machine, even for a software developer like me. It is portable and powerful, which seems to fit my needs perfectly.

I think a lot of it comes from rumors causing expectations of quad-core, discrete graphics, etc. When it turned out to be a thinner 13-inch Pro, I think some were disappointed. From my trying it out in the store it seemed fine for everything my current 13-inch Pro is.

Personally I'd go with the retina pro but I'm just a sucker for the screen. I'm also not one of those people who assumes everyone who bought a 13-inch Pro actually wants a 13-inch Air, either.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dirk Pitt posted:

It's $500 more than the Air and all you get is a better screen (and 8GB of RAM). Considering that's almost 50% more than the Air... CPU is only marginally faster. Then you have the lag of the HD4000 + Retina.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

It's $500 more than the Air and all you get is a better screen (and 8GB of RAM). Considering that's almost 50% more than the Air... CPU is only marginally faster. Then you have the lag of the HD4000 + Retina.

Yeah it ended up being a strange product due to the lack of Pro-like features such as discrete Nvidia graphics and no quad core CPU either.

So from a value perspective it competes badly against the 15" Retina for the high end specs and also is not much stronger in benchmarking than the better value Mac Book Air.

It was basically paying big premium to just get a nicer IPS screen vs. the more mainstream Macbook Air.

Either way it's the classic early adopter premium in price even though I imagine a few years down the road Retina screens will become a standard feature for all the laptop lines.

etalian fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 6, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Is it possible to disable the caps lock key in OS X? Its sole purpose is apparently to annoy me when I accidentally trigger it. Especially annoying in Vim.

A bunch of articles online refer to changing its status as a modifier key through Keyboard settings - but I really just want it to do nothing. Possible?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Go to preferences - keyboard - modifier keys and disable it. It doesn't do anything anymore so I'm not sure what else you want.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Mu Zeta posted:

Go to preferences - keyboard - modifier keys and disable it. It doesn't do anything anymore so I'm not sure what else you want.

Gotcha - I didn't see the dropdown. The preference was applied to my MBA keyboard but not the external I use. Thanks.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Is there any likelihood of 13" rMBP getting a processor upgrade and discrete graphics with the next refresh?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The haswell graphics are already a decent upgrade so probably no discrete option.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it

NOTinuyasha posted:

That's really disappointing.

Have they managed to resolve the IPS issues by now at least?

The issue is that the rMBP (15" at least, not sure about newer 13" models) uses screens from two vendors -- LG and Samsung. If you happen to get the LG screen there's a very high chance you'll experience image retention. The Samsung ones appear to have less issues.

Everyone I've talked to who has brought in their display to get it replace has come out with a new Samsung screen. There's hope, you just have to bring it to the Apple Store and get it replaced.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Is there any way to check if your rMBP is susceptible to the image burn in problems? I haven't experienced it but better safe than sorry.

http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007
Broke down and finally decided on the Air 13 with 256 gb drive (refurb of course). Nice improvement over my 2009 Macbook (since the backlight actually works too).

also got my IIc delivered the same day. Anyone know how to fix a floppy drive on that? Just keeps saying "Check Disk Drive" when I put a disk into it, and its a bootable disk (but it has been in the box for 20 years).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PatrickBateman posted:

Broke down and finally decided on the Air 13 with 256 gb drive (refurb of course). Nice improvement over my 2009 Macbook (since the backlight actually works too).

also got my IIc delivered the same day. Anyone know how to fix a floppy drive on that? Just keeps saying "Check Disk Drive" when I put a disk into it, and its a bootable disk (but it has been in the box for 20 years).

The MBA is really awesome, it makes a even better impression if you stuck with a heavier Macbook for a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008
Speaking of installing SSDs - Does anyone know if it's possible to put a 512GB SSD into a 2012 Mac Mini, or just 256GB?