Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

ruffz posted:

Nice to see all this thread activity now that we finally have a new one. This game is great, and we need more people on Silverlode.

It's that Hobbit movie I tell ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
More than a few folks said they got interested or re-interested because of that, so I believe it. I just have more free time because I got a layoff and no paycheck for Christmas.

WindowLiquor
Feb 8, 2011

Oh no no, this simply will not do!

Beach Party posted:

Wouldn't happen to have a captain that you could post a screenshot of the keybinds you use? Im having trouble coming up with something that is intuitive and not just random skills everywhere on my skill bars.

This is the setup I use for my Captain (to the right, under the shout there's Pressing Attack, Devastating Blow and Blade of Elendil). However, keep in mind that 1) I am a clicker, 2) I am a raidbaby and hate playing alone so I rarely actually DPS and 3) I use a mouse that has extra buttons to make said healing easier.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Anyone got a jeweller who wants stacks and stacks of rubies and opals? Seems a shame to just keep junking them.

Kinship-only auctions are a thing, right?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
They're funct5ionally possible, yeah, but a sale seems unlikely. Kinship houses have storage, you could see if there's room.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The primary function of kinship-only auctions as I've seen is more to provide a method for cooks to make a zillion level-cap food stacks, supply everybody in the kinship who needs it, and get their costs covered (usually at no profit), rather than doing one-off trade transactions with each individual hungry person. Surplus craft materials are more for kinship house storage / personal house storage until someone asks for them / general-population auctions.

I was gonna say "or just making a crafting alt" but then I remembered character slots are at a premium for F2P players so I decided to check my privilege instead.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 4, 2013

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Jesus, the TheNazgun.com invite forum is almost totally spambot central.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've got more than enough slots for alts, but far too little time.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

killendino_001 posted:

I noticed some folks a couple pages ago, complaining about a slow in-game store experience. I had the same thing for a long while before I got serious about seeing what the problem was. Some Googling showed me that there is some kind of proxy setup somewhere that was interfering. I cleared that and my store has been lightning quick ever since.

I would post a link, or better info, but by some weird twist of sysadmin fate, I am able to get to SA, but cannot get to most gaming related sites due to blocking software. If you search for something like, "lord of the rings online store slow proxy", or some variation, I would think you would find a solution.

Control Panel -> Internet Properties -> Connections -> LAN Settings ->
Uncheck "Automatically detect settings".

This was posted in the Steam thread a few months ago after people were complaining about switching tabs in steam being slow. It works for LOTRO too apparently.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Fried Sushi posted:

I was ready to give up on the game after Isengard, really wasn't impressed with that expansion, but with mounted combat in Rohan I figured I'd give it one more chance. Glad I did Rohan has breathed new life into the game for me, best expansion they have released I think. Even prefer it over Moria and I loved Moria when it came out.

It seemed like an awful lot of people stopped playing during/after Isengard and didn't come back, and it's a shame because Rohan is a very good expansion. Anyone on the fence about returning should just do it, there's a good chance you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

WindowLiquor posted:

This is the setup I use for my Captain (to the right, under the shout there's Pressing Attack, Devastating Blow and Blade of Elendil). However, keep in mind that 1) I am a clicker, 2) I am a raidbaby and hate playing alone so I rarely actually DPS and 3) I use a mouse that has extra buttons to make said healing easier.

Thanks for this and also the others that posted there keybinds. Would you say that captains are pretty sought out for groups in the higher levels? I love grouping and would prefer that over solo play anyday so i thought captain would be good for that, but i have yet to find any groups at all. I guess thats mostly because this is a older game so most people are at level cap, but i would hate to get there and find out that captains are just kind of filler if a group is looking for another body. In your experience would you say that captains are kind of late bloomers in terms of overall power? Right now i feel my guardian blows the captain away in every category from dps to survivabilty, i can keep grinding on my guardian but feel like i always need to stop and regain power with the cappy. Maybe im just playing him wrong which is a real possibility lol.

WindowLiquor
Feb 8, 2011

Oh no no, this simply will not do!

Beach Party posted:

Thanks for this and also the others that posted there keybinds. Would you say that captains are pretty sought out for groups in the higher levels? I love grouping and would prefer that over solo play anyday so i thought captain would be good for that, but i have yet to find any groups at all. I guess thats mostly because this is a older game so most people are at level cap, but i would hate to get there and find out that captains are just kind of filler if a group is looking for another body. In your experience would you say that captains are kind of late bloomers in terms of overall power? Right now i feel my guardian blows the captain away in every category from dps to survivabilty, i can keep grinding on my guardian but feel like i always need to stop and regain power with the cappy. Maybe im just playing him wrong which is a real possibility lol.

Wait until you get Now for Wrath on your Captain and it opens up a whole new world where you have no power problems. It's a trait that gives Rallying Cry a power return.

Captains are very sought for in groups. It's where we rock. We do a little bit of everything. They are THE class to play if you love grouping. I may be biased, but I do know that in my kin, no group happens without a Captain, unless it's a 3man. And even then they kind of want a Captain. We are decent healers, decent DPSers and decent Tanks. Just don't expect to be more than decent, you are a jack of all trades, and they can't really make a class that can do everything, but do it just as well as the other classes that have only 1, maybe 2 of these things.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

WindowLiquor posted:

Wait until you get Now for Wrath on your Captain and it opens up a whole new world where you have no power problems. It's a trait that gives Rallying Cry a power return.

Captains are very sought for in groups. It's where we rock. We do a little bit of everything. They are THE class to play if you love grouping. I may be biased, but I do know that in my kin, no group happens without a Captain, unless it's a 3man. And even then they kind of want a Captain. We are decent healers, decent DPSers and decent Tanks. Just don't expect to be more than decent, you are a jack of all trades, and they can't really make a class that can do everything, but do it just as well as the other classes that have only 1, maybe 2 of these things.

Sounds exactly what im looking for in a class. Thanks.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
A kinsman was looking for an artisan crafter just after I'd finished the quest to unlock it.

I think we can add the chat window to things I can't use properly.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Here's my level 85 Dwarf Guardian toolbar setup:

Keep in mind, the top 1 1/2 toolbars are potions and other stuff, not class or racial skills.

JFC fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 5, 2013

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Can someone post their setup for champs?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

In an effort to try to become more self-sufficient I'm making my burglar (who at level 83 used to not have any professions) a weaponsmith. How hilariously dumb of an idea is it to try to level it through ingredient packs? At first glance I'm assuming it's ridiculously expensive TP-wise.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

ruffz posted:

In an effort to try to become more self-sufficient I'm making my burglar (who at level 83 used to not have any professions) a weaponsmith. How hilariously dumb of an idea is it to try to level it through ingredient packs? At first glance I'm assuming it's ridiculously expensive TP-wise.

I think it's dumb. Go mine it on your main or level an alt to mine it imo. If you're really lazy just buy the mats on the AH or from new goons. You can easily spend those TP points on crafting boots which you probably should do if you are in a hurry.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Got sucked back into this because of the Hobbit movie, it looks like some of the pain in the rear end stuff from the last time I played is gone.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
It's expensive, but you can actually buy crafting tiers in the lotro store. We're talking between 2000-4000 TP per tier. Cheaper than using ingredient packs, but still WAAAAY to much.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ruffz posted:

Pretty dumb dude :v:

Seriously, even if you can't find the ores on the AH, it's actually really easy to gallop around the Shire with a level 83 murder machine gathering copper and tin for like half an hour. Running around level-10 goblin camps harvesting ore without a care in the world, while all the goblins have to just stand there in shame letting you do it. :allears: It'd be a much more efficient use of TP to do that, then use craft XP boosts while making stuff. If you're going to get really lazy and do that buying-craft-tiers thing, the one to buy would probably be Westfold, because Eastemnet is easy as hell (or Metalsmith was, anyway).

Radio! posted:

Can someone post their setup for champs?

I'd do this, but my champ was my first character, his skill slot setup is schizophrenic as hell, and I sincerely doubt it would be the slightest bit of help to anyone not me. And yet I've come too far to switch it around now. :smith:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 5, 2013

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

JFC posted:

It's expensive, but you can actually buy crafting tiers in the lotro store. We're talking between 2000-4000 TP per tier. Cheaper than using ingredient packs, but still WAAAAY to much.

That's hilarious. My 64 guardian is a prospector so I'd probably get the ore from him, but I'm super :effort: if a reasonably priced "pay2win" option is present, which in this case doesn't appear to be.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

loquacius posted:

Pretty dumb dude :v:

Seriously, even if you can't find the ores on the AH, it's actually really easy to gallop around the Shire with a level 83 murder machine gathering copper and tin for like half an hour. Running around level-10 goblin camps harvesting ore without a care in the world, while all the goblins have to just stand there in shame letting you do it. :allears: It'd be a much more efficient use of TP to do that, then use craft XP boosts while making stuff.

It might also be possible to find a lowbie Jeweller so you can both mine everything you come across for prospecting xp and then swap ores, since weaponsmiths don't need silver/gold/fancy metals.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So I figure it would be easier to ask this here: Does anyone use the Dungeon Finder pre-85? That might be the only thing I miss about WoW. The dungeon activity was constant. Dungeons and raids are the best part for a lore nerd like me; You encounter all the huge storyline baddies and get closure for said storylines.

Should I even bother until 85? I really need to learn my Warden.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

ruffz posted:

That's hilarious. My 64 guardian is a prospector so I'd probably get the ore from him, but I'm super :effort: if a reasonably priced "pay2win" option is present, which in this case doesn't appear to be.

They are on sale this weekend, not sure it is worth it even then, maybe a tier or two where materials are scarce.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Use code MPRP13 in the store for one free rejuvenation potion per account until Jan 10th.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Minstrel setup

Champ setup

Bonus night rainbow

Woodchip fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 5, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

That rainbow... :aaaaa:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Radio! posted:

It might also be possible to find a lowbie Jeweller so you can both mine everything you come across for prospecting xp and then swap ores, since weaponsmiths don't need silver/gold/fancy metals.

Gold and silver pay my bills.

Had a stack of like 50 white gold built up and sold it for a few gold last night.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
The Hobbit got me, so I reinstalled LOTRO last night after a few years of not playing it.

Did they ever make Wardens not suck? I have a soft spot for self-sufficient DPS/Tank, but back when I last played the class couldn't really fulfill either role well.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Haven't seen the hobbit. There was football on the day my brothers went to see it. Priorities.

Left a guy to die after he carried me to the top of those undead ruins east of Ost whatever earlier. Elven stealth supremacy.

In my defense I let him have all the treasure on the way up.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Are hunters as ridiculously easy as I think they are? Or is this game just not that hard?

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

Rarity posted:

Are hunters as ridiculously easy as I think they are? Or is this game just not that hard?

Hunters are just that easy..that's why there are so many tard hunters, because they get complacent and when they get to raids they still think herp derp shoot bow without actually thinking about raid mechanics.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Conskill posted:

Did they ever make Wardens not suck? I have a soft spot for self-sufficient DPS/Tank, but back when I last played the class couldn't really fulfill either role well.

Yep they're pretty good at soloing now.

Rarity posted:

Yes to both.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oxphocker posted:

Hunters are just that easy..that's why there are so many tard hunters, because they get complacent and when they get to raids they still think herp derp shoot bow without actually thinking about raid mechanics.

Eep. As someone who's barely ever done group play before in MMOs, what kinda things would I need to be thinking about? Specific boss mechanics or general skill use?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Rarity posted:

Eep. As someone who's barely ever done group play before in MMOs, what kinda things would I need to be thinking about? Specific boss mechanics or general skill use?

More the latter -- bad hunters are the ones who charge into every fight first, pull all the aggro with their bows before the tank can get to them or pull adds with indiscriminate AOEs (champs do that too), and die immediately due to being way too squishy to handle that. Just try to restrain yourself a little until the tank has everything's attention.

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw
With regards to Nazguns minstrel shortage, are RK a suitable substitute or is specifically mins and not just 'healers' that are needed?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Moo Moo Canoe posted:

With regards to Nazguns minstrel shortage, are RK a suitable substitute or is specifically mins and not just 'healers' that are needed?

What minstrel/healer shortage? Play whatever you want.

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw

Hello Sailor posted:

What minstrel/healer shortage? Play whatever you want.

The one mentioned in the GMOTD. I intend to play what I want but getting some direction as to what to try out first would be cool hence the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

loquacius posted:

Bad hunters are the ones who charge into every fight first, pull all the aggro with their bows before the tank can get to them or pull adds with indiscriminate AOEs (champs do that too), and die immediately due to being way too squishy to handle that. Just try to restrain yourself a little until the tank has everything's attention.

Ah, thanks. I like to think I woulda remembered to wait for the tank to grab aggro, but in truth I probably wouldn't.

• Locked thread