Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

They just fixed it. Sleepings Dogs is back up to $16.99. Damnit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ironsights posted:

They just fixed it. Sleepings Dogs is back up to $16.99. Damnit!

DLC is still discounted, though.

/edit: some of it. They're plugging leaks as they go. :v:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Picked up Nightmare in North point, the Drunken master, SWAT and Square Enix packs for a grand total of 80 pence :toot:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Got it right when I left for work. I should have done research on the game.

JIJI
Oct 15, 2002

This thread could have a dash more Koji Kabuto
Grabbed the DLC pack for some replay fun and to make getting max triad points less of a headpounding experience. Now to see how many missions will let me go in as naked Wei.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I bought the game and DLC packs when the price error happened, but I am at the first clothes store and can't buy any of the DLC items?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Fat_Cow posted:

So I bought the game and DLC packs when the price error happened, but I am at the first clothes store and can't buy any of the DLC items?

DLC clothes show up in your home closets, which you can get to after you've finished the tutorial and opened up the whole world. Additionally, the individual clothes stores all have different inventories even between the same type, so checking all of them is worthwhile to see what you like and to find whole outfits, which are usually split between multiple stores.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I'm glad I got this game, you guys were right all along!

One thing is bugging me though: I bought all the DLCs and at least two don't show up ingame (neither in the DLC ingame menu nor in my wardrobe). Any idea how to fix it? I already ran the integrity check several times just to be sure.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

the panacea posted:

I'm glad I got this game, you guys were right all along!

One thing is bugging me though: I bought all the DLCs and at least two don't show up ingame (neither in the DLC ingame menu nor in my wardrobe). Any idea how to fix it? I already ran the integrity check several times just to be sure.

Which ones? The majority don't activate until you get to the first house but it seems like you're there already. Maybe go back to the page for the DLC on steam and see if it says you already own it?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Managed to snag this and all the DLC for like $15 when it was on a ludicrous Steam sale. An hour in and this is pretty fun, enjoying the combat system a lot. Not quite as good as Batman's AA/AC but it's pretty much the next best thing.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

doctor 7 posted:

Not quite as good as Batman's AA/AC but it's pretty much the next best thing.
The combat system really shows its true beauty when you unlock all of the other moves. Find those jade statues ASAP!

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

This may sound strange, but does anyone have a complete/near complete save WITHOUT any of the romances done? I lost my saves when I cleaned my Steam directory, and all the talk about the Tiffany romance has me curious.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Internet Meme posted:

This may sound strange, but does anyone have a complete/near complete save WITHOUT any of the romances done? I lost my saves when I cleaned my Steam directory, and all the talk about the Tiffany romance has me curious.

I actually have a full story save where I still have to "Impress Not Ping". I did the one extra Tiffany karaoke mission so I could get all the collectable jade statues, but other than that, the story portion of my game is complete.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SynthOrange posted:

DLC weapons are attached to DLC clothing.

Some weapons are still placed in the apartments. The sword from the Lightning Warrior set is in the area where the tv is at the first apartment and the assault rifle and underslung grenade from the army pack is at your houseboat.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Morter posted:

I actually have a full story save where I still have to "Impress Not Ping". I did the one extra Tiffany karaoke mission so I could get all the collectable jade statues, but other than that, the story portion of my game is complete.

Sounds good enough for me. It's been awhile but I had all the jade statues, so I guess I did whatever that mission was. PM?

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Is there anything that happens when you only date one girl? I went out with all of them for the map bonuses, but when they started getting mad at me I wondered if there was anything different that happens if you stay exclusive.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Nope, and even if you date them all you still never break up with three of them. And you'll want to date them all so that all the collectables show up on your map.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Thievery posted:

Which ones? The majority don't activate until you get to the first house but it seems like you're there already. Maybe go back to the page for the DLC on steam and see if it says you already own it?

At first it was the "police protection" and "gsp" pack. Those don't show up at all ingame (neither menu nor apartment). Now I also seem to have a problem with the added weapons in my flat, they showed up before but now they are gone. The outfits are still there though :iiam:.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So if I understanding correctly, you need to date all the girls at least once in order to get all (non-DLC) collectables to appear on the minimap?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

So if I understanding correctly, you need to date all the girls at least once in order to get all (non-DLC) collectables to appear on the minimap?
That's correct, yes. Call them and do the date, after which you'll get the collectables on your map. In fact, there's only one date for each girl, after which her number disappears from the phone.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Urdnot Fire posted:

That's correct, yes. Call them and do the date, after which you'll get the collectables on your map. In fact, there's only one date for each girl, after which her number disappears from the phone.

Huh, I thought that they would each get a subplot after the initial date. Not that I do romances in games, but a little disappointing.

Also disappointing are the surveillance camera drug busts. These could have been cool if there were a little bit more to them. Otherwise, the game is really good.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I just smashed someone's face into a vending machine then bought myself an ice cream to celebrate. :3:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

the panacea posted:

At first it was the "police protection" and "gsp" pack. Those don't show up at all ingame (neither menu nor apartment). Now I also seem to have a problem with the added weapons in my flat, they showed up before but now they are gone. The outfits are still there though :iiam:.

For what it's worth, any "weapons" associated with a DLC/outfit only show up when you wear said outfit. Rico's "Signature Pistol" for example only appears on you if you're wearing his outfit.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
Bought the recommended DLC even though I've only progressed about an hour's worth into the story. I'm really liking the game as the setting is amazing ( this game sure looks good on the PC ) and the storyline is interesting enough. The car-handling physics are pretty bad, but I don't really mind it as the combat more than makes up for it. The use of environmental attacks is just brilliant design. Can't wait to play more this evening.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Huh, I thought that they would each get a subplot after the initial date. Not that I do romances in games, but a little disappointing.

I'm with you. Overall I felt like the game just teased me with the highlights of its story, and then left a bunch of follow-up ideas/missions/plots on the cutting floor. Shame, shame, I want more Sleeping Dogs!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Caufman posted:

I'm with you. Overall I felt like the game just teased me with the highlights of its story, and then left a bunch of follow-up ideas/missions/plots on the cutting floor. Shame, shame, I want more Sleeping Dogs!

You can really see how quickly the script falls apart after the halfway point or so, especially with the main villain. Big Smile Lee is built up as the primary antagonist with acceptable pacing, right from the start, but then he gets exactly one line 3/4's of the way through the game before pulling off his shirt and revealing his giant "I AM BAD GUY" tattoo (I speak figuratively). Then everything involving Pendrew is wrapped up in the space of a single cutscene. The setpieces stay great until the end, but there's precious little holding them together.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's the classic Fahrenheit problem of compressing too much plot in too little time. I wish SA had a United Front insider like we have in Ropekid so someone can talk to us about all the decisions, especially hard decisions, they had to make before getting Sleeping Dogs out the door. My suspicion is that this sudden ramping up of the plot pacing was a choice made under some deadline duress.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Caufman posted:

It's the classic Fahrenheit problem of compressing too much plot in too little time. I wish SA had a United Front insider like we have in Ropekid so someone can talk to us about all the decisions, especially hard decisions, they had to make before getting Sleeping Dogs out the door. My suspicion is that this sudden ramping up of the plot pacing was a choice made under some deadline duress.

If that turns out anything like Far Cry 3, just take my advice and just enjoy the story you got. Whenever a writer or anyone in the creative process of a game tries to explain why some players didn't "get" their vision (ie: damage control), the loudest voice in response are contrarians and assholes who think they knew how they could make the game better, even if the person in question makes sense or his answer is satisfactory to the majority. In the end, no one is happy and a bunch of people are embittered about an otherwise great game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Morter posted:

If that turns out anything like Far Cry 3, just take my advice and just enjoy the story you got. Whenever a writer or anyone in the creative process of a game tries to explain why some players didn't "get" their vision (ie: damage control), the loudest voice in response are contrarians and assholes who think they knew how they could make the game better, even if the person in question makes sense or his answer is satisfactory to the majority. In the end, no one is happy and a bunch of people are embittered about an otherwise great game.

I doubt we'd have a Far Cry 3 repeat on our hands if the Sleeping Dogs writers tried to shine some light on cut content. From what we saw of Sleeping Dogs, it was a perfectly serviceable cops n' crooks story that got really threadbare past a certain point. Far Cry 3 had all sorts of little niggles and complaints with its plot, and then the interview with its writer revealed that those issues weren't due to lack of time or resources, but because the story was written by a smug idiot who thought he was being clever.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Yeah I agree, the Sleeping Dogs story is pretty competently written and the over arching plot is strong, it just feels really rushed for certain parts of the game, like the dates and the last third or so of the missions.

I think I enjoyed the characters and writing in this game more than any other open world game I've ever played to be honest.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
One of the writers for Sleeping Dogs has a blog and talked a bit about parts of the story that had to be cut.

The romances were supposed to be subplots spanning multiple missions, with an extra scene at the conclusion of the game depending on who you ended up with. Some girls would have been angry if you dated other girls, others wouldn't care. It all got cut, and one potential romance got cut out of the game altogether; an alcoholic actress with a taste for younger men.

There were also supposed to be more missions involving King, the American that Sonny is doing business with. King's story is that while he was a gang-banger when he was younger, he'd pretty much grown out of that by the time he meets Wei. He's got a record label, a wife and kids. He parties and puts on a persona because it's what's expected of him by the people he does business with, but he'd rather go back to his hotel, call his family and go to bed early than be out clubbing. None of this backstory appears in the finished game.

With limited time and resources, plus the possibility the game might not have been published at all, I can understand that cuts had to be made. Hopefully we'll get a Sleeping Dogs sequel with even more stuff next time.

Quiet Python fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 6, 2013

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Do you have a link to that blog? I hope he updates regularly.

I wonder if a game developer would ever want to release a kind of Director's Cut DLC that restored the stuff they had to cut. I've enjoyed playing as Wei Shen, vampire hunter, kung-fu master and one-man PTU team, but I wouldn't mind just some more vanilla Shen as well. I could see how this kind of DLC would rub some people the wrong way though, as it would be content that really should have been in the final product and would generally just set a bad precedent for the company and games in general.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I went looking for it, but it's not in my bookmarks. I'll see if I can find the message board thread I found it in.

If there was going to be more post-game cop stuff with Wei Shen, I'd hope it would involve cracking down on the 18K. After all the conflicted loyalties in the main storyline, it would be nice to face crooks who were just straight-up bad. We didn't really learn much about that gang, so there's lots of places they could go.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Quiet Python posted:

The romances were supposed to be subplots spanning multiple missions, with an extra scene at the conclusion of the game depending on who you ended up with. Some girls would have been angry if you dated other girls, others wouldn't care. It all got cut, and one potential romance got cut out of the game altogether; an alcoholic actress with a taste for younger men.

With limited time and resources, plus the possibility the game might not have been published at all, I can understand that cuts had to be made. Hopefully we'll get a Sleeping Dogs sequel with even more stuff next time.

That certainly explains how we ended up with Emma Holyshit Stone voicing a character that only appears for two missions. I'm actually kind of torn because as awesome as that sounds, and as much as I'd like to see that for the sequel, I also kind of liked the one-and-done nature of the dating missions. It seemed to fit the nature of the game.

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Note to self: I hate whites.
Bought this game in the -91% glitch.

Play game.

Dude's using noodles for a telephone.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I would love to play this game, but it keeps freezing during the loading. I tried installing ATI Catalyst as recommended (And removing the steam talk overlay, and setting it on compatibility mode), but its installer screwed up which made the graphics card drivers delete themselves, and nearly every single "fix" there is. Is there an updated patch to this.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have an ati card (4890) and never had a single problem with this game. That seems really weird. What are you running it on and why didn't you already have catalyst installed??

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I am running it on one of these.

Turns out I had Catalyst, it was just hidden.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 6, 2013

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
So while most of it was on sale, I bought all the DLC out for the game and fired it up to try it out and jesus christ am I ever disappointed with Zodiac Tournament. Was it just me, or did they absolutely and totally not resolve Yu's 'trickery' of giving you the tea? She literally disappears into thin air after she walks off and there's no resolution to it, comments about it, etc. Am I missing something or is this just their way of working around not fighting women in this game or something? Even so, they should still have mentioned something about it IMO. Beyond that, too stinking short, and pretty freaking lame. The MMA fight was especially lame under the tea's influence. Not hard so much as it was just a grind-it-out affair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

DivisionPost posted:

That certainly explains how we ended up with Emma Holyshit Stone voicing a character that only appears for two missions. I'm actually kind of torn because as awesome as that sounds, and as much as I'd like to see that for the sequel, I also kind of liked the one-and-done nature of the dating missions. It seemed to fit the nature of the game.
Yeah, it fits Wei's character, especially in light of his mission with Peggy where she offers to set him up with one of her friends. Still, it'd be nice to see components like the dating and drug busts fleshed out, and for stuff like the SWAT missions to be included in the base game. And it would've been nice to see more of King, too, he seemed pretty cool in his mission.

Naky posted:

So while most of it was on sale, I bought all the DLC out for the game and fired it up to try it out and jesus christ am I ever disappointed with Zodiac Tournament. Was it just me, or did they absolutely and totally not resolve Yu's 'trickery' of giving you the tea? She literally disappears into thin air after she walks off and there's no resolution to it, comments about it, etc. Am I missing something or is this just their way of working around not fighting women in this game or something? Even so, they should still have mentioned something about it IMO. Beyond that, too stinking short, and pretty freaking lame. The MMA fight was especially lame under the tea's influence. Not hard so much as it was just a grind-it-out affair.
Yeah, it easily could've been better and more fleshed out as well. The filter and intro were so good, as was the final fight having drunken fist, it's just a shame that the bosses weren't as fun as the combat usually was in the game. I probably would have purchased it anyways for more Sleeping Dogs, but it was definitely a disappointment considering its potential.

• Locked thread