Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Forums Terrorist posted:

gently caress off with that British Isles poo poo, we're not part of you and haven't been for nearly a century.

I thought that was supposed to be a geographical term (i.e. "the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom are situated on the British Isles, north of mainland Europe")...?

Forums Terrorist posted:

Ireland is composed of 4 provinces which are divided into 32 counties, 26 free and 6 under British rule.

I thought overall popular support (i.e. majority) in Northern Ireland was in favor of staying with the UK, and that they have Parliamentary representation and whatnot. How are they "ruled by" Britain (i.e. imperially), as opposed to a part of it by choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.

Lightning Knight posted:

I thought overall popular support (i.e. majority) in Northern Ireland was in favor of staying with the UK, and that they have Parliamentary representation and whatnot. How are they "ruled by" Britain (i.e. imperially), as opposed to a part of it by choice?

Gerrymandering, among other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PUtc2Lwuh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAQfJ5AZRyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA5a3woqKQ8

Fluo
May 25, 2007

TinTower posted:

Morrissey, former vocalist for The Smiths, is a famous ally of the Argentinian cause, and all other progressive left-wing supposedly anti-imperialist causes. Except for when he's saying that British identity has "disappeared" because of immigration or when he's calling the population of China a "sub-species".

Morrissey is just awful. Love it when he attacks capitalism yet is happy for any The Smiths song to played in adverts. Don't forget him saying "all reggae is vile".

I find him really weird, he complains about the British Army's use of bearskin but not the whole killing people thing.

Don't forget his comment about the Norway Massacre.

quote:

We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead. Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald's and Kentucky Fried Chicken every day.

Forums Terrorist posted:

gently caress off with that British Isles poo poo, we're not part of you and haven't been for nearly a century.

Ireland is composed of 4 provinces which are divided into 32 counties, 26 free and 6 under British rule. Of the 6 counties of Northern Ireland, the southwestern half tend republican and the northeast trending unionist. Interestingly, church attendance is a strong predictor of unionist politics but not of republican ones. :eng101:

Google of British Isles. It's a geographical term.

quote:

The British Isles are a group of islands off the northwest coast of continental Europe that include the islands of Great Britain, Ireland and over six thousand smaller isles. Two sovereign states are located on the islands: Ireland (sometimes called the Republic of Ireland) and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (commonly known as the United Kingdom). The British Isles also include three dependencies of the British Crown: the Isle of Man and, by tradition, the Bailiwick of Jersey and the Bailiwick of Guernsey in the Channel Islands, although the latter are not physically a part of the archipelago.

Ireland in general is over the top religious. Abortion is still illegal unless it occurs as the result of a medical intervention performed to save the life of the mother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0xOGVw3KJE

Fluo fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 5, 2013

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JUstGlzM2E

I wouldn't call Ireland "over the top religious". Irish conservatives certainly are, just like conservatives everywhere, but the country as a whole is on a nice slide towards getting better. We're slowly kicking out all the old entrenched Catholic ideas, but culturally entrenched they are. Give us time lads. Funnily enough most of the anti-gay and anti-abortion political funding those pricks get over here comes from American church organizations.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Re: Falklands Chat
The invasion of the Falklands was a horrible event brought by the death throes of an illegitimate Military Junta in Argentina that destroyed the country in many other ways (economically, socially, politically, etc). It's something that should never have happened, as there were at the time (and there still are) lots of actions being done (like UN stuff) through the proper diplomatic channels. I don't think it should be blamed on Argentina anymore than the invasion of Kuwait by Saddam Hussein can be blamed on the entirety of Irak (which is probably a terrible example but I can't come with others).

As someone who lives in Argentina, I really couldn't give a poo poo about the Islands, but I realize there are probably a lot of interests on both sides (oil? fishing rights in the adjacent seas? a footing for future rights on the near Antarctic regions? who the gently caress knows) and for that reason it's a conflict that will never end. Thanks 18/19 th century for all that colonialism I guess.

Also to people bitching about distances, have a lovely picture:

(Tierra del Fuego is part of Argentina and people do live there).

There are also claims made by Argentina on the South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands (which I guess are the green dot further east from the Falklands) that are also under British rule.
In fact, the complete name of the Tierra del Fuego province is "Provincia de Tierra del Fuego, Antártida e Islas del Atlántico Sur", which is pretty :ironicat:.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Rabhadh posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JUstGlzM2E

I wouldn't call Ireland "over the top religious". Irish conservatives certainly are, just like conservatives everywhere, but the country as a whole is on a nice slide towards getting better. We're slowly kicking out all the old entrenched Catholic ideas, but culturally entrenched they are. Give us time lads. Funnily enough most of the anti-gay and anti-abortion political funding those pricks get over here comes from American church organizations.

Indeed, I think I used the wrong wording, I just meant compared to other West Europe its very high.

quote:

Religion in France (2011)
Christianity (45%)
Other religions (6%)
Islam (3%)
Buddhism (1%)
Non-religious (35%)
Not stated (10%)

quote:

Religion in Germany based on self-identification (2011)
Christianity (50%)
Other religions (3%)
Islam (2%)
Buddhism (1%)
Non-religious (38%)
Not stated (6%)

quote:

Religion in the Netherlands (2010)
Irreligious (51.3%)
Roman Catholicism (24.6%)
Protestantism (14.6%)
Islam (5.5%)
Other religions (4.9%)

Even in Religious countries in Europe its higher.

quote:

Religion in Spain (2011)
Christianity (67%)
Other religions (3%)
Islam (1%)
Buddhism (1%)
Non-religious (21%)
Not stated (7%)

quote:

Religion in Italy (2011)
Christianity (77%)
Other religions (2%)
Islam (1%)
Non-religious (15%)
Not stated (5%)

quote:

Religion in Poland (2011)
Christianity (85%)
Other religions (2%)
Non-religious (8%)
Not stated (5%)

Have some Irish War of Independence & Irish Civil War badges/insignia. :3:

quote:

1. Inghinidhe Na hEireann or Daughters of Ireland Tara broach cloak clasp c.1905.
2. Irish Volunteers - Limerick Brigade officer's cap badge.
3. Irish Volunteers - Dublin Brigade other ranks cap badge.
4. Irish Volunteers - officer's harp cap badge.
5. Irish National Volunteer's button-hole badge.
6. Irish Women Volunteer's badge.
7. Irish National Volunteers - Waterford Regiment, other ranks cap badge.
8. Cumann na Mban brooch issued by Dundelgan Press, Dundalk c.1917.
9. National Volunteers - Dublin Regiment, officer's cap badge (9a).
10. Daughters of Ireland Lapel badge.
11. Irish Volunteers - West Mayo Brigade other ranks cap badge.
12. I.D. shield of Free State Secret Service.
13. Irish Volunteers - West Mayo Brigade officer's cap badge.
14-17 +19. Pre and Post- breakup of the Irish National Volunteers.
18. Fianna Eireann lapel badge.
20-28 Various early Free State officer's cap badges.
29+30 Oriel House C.I.D. Detective shield.

quote:

Top left -Right :
Irish Women Volunteer's badge, Irish National Volunteers - Waterford Regiment, other ranks cap badge,

2nd Row Left - Right
Oriel House CID Detectives Shield (mis-strike & Original) I.D. shield of Free State Secret Service.

Bottom row - Pre and Post breakup of Irish Volunteers badges.

quote:

Top Row - Left - Right
Irish National Volunteers - Waterford Regiment, other ranks cap badge, I.D. shield of Free State Secret Service, National Volunteers - Dublin Regiment, officer's cap badge.
Bottom Row - Left - Right
Oriel House CID Detectives Shield, National Volunteers - Dublin Regiment, officer's cap badge

quote:

Early Free State officer's cap badge & 3 pinback badges of the Women Volunteers

1. Oglaigh na h-Eireann
2. Oglaigh na hEireann
3. Drong Atha Cliath

Fluo fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 6, 2013

az
Dec 2, 2005

Keep posting interesting stuff in this thread Fluo :cheers:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:nms: as all hell, but it's quite an image. Bakeries and hospitals are common targets for the Syrian Army, but this is the first I've seen of them targeting gas stations.

http://i.imgur.com/YMZi6.jpg

VVVVV Yesterday

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 6, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Volkerball posted:

:nms: as all hell, but it's quite an image. Bakeries and hospitals are common targets for the Syrian Army, but this is the first I've seen of them targeting gas stations.

http://i.imgur.com/YMZi6.jpg

:stare: When did this happen? That's horrific.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 6, 2013

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Quoting from the other DnD pictures thread:

Ulta posted:

The Library of Congress has some weird stuff in it. Here's some stuff I found looking for other stuff

edit: by the way, what does the German lettering say in the pictures in this post and the one below?

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 6, 2013

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Armyman25 posted:

Serbian leaflet in Kosovo:

:thumbsup: But replace these with ethnic German civilians who were killed in the AVNOJ work camps after WW2 ended.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

az
Dec 2, 2005

Grand Prize Winner posted:

edit: by the way, what does the German lettering say in the pictures in this post and the one below?

Richard Strauss Week
Munich 1910 - June 23-28

Warbonds

Labor, the protection against anarchy!

Bolshevism brings war, unemployment and famine!
Association for combatting Bolshevism.

The poster ropekid quoted reads; "We killed your great grandfather. We killed your grandfather. We will defeat you as well."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kraxis
May 14, 2007

Kalman Taigman, the last remaining survivor of the Treblinka death camp. IF you're in the UK there's a documentary on the iPlayer at the moment that has Kalman and Samuel Willenberg, who has since making the programme died, talk about their time in Treblinka. poo poo is horrifying.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

(actual translation, for those that don't speak Spanish)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Similar translation.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

That's not really similar at all. The one in Delaware seems to be intentional to keep "those people" out of the park while the Welsh one was an honest, if really stupid mistake of the sort that happens fairly frequently.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
"Frank and Jamie" - Maurizio Cattelan

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Another UK anti smoking ad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCgekCcd4ng

Kwyjibo
Apr 1, 2003

Wow, they don't even try to hide the racism. Almost inspiring, in a way.

(My Spanish is still shamefully poor for want of effort, but that doesn't look very natural, at the very least I'm pretty sure that should be deben... Google Translate says yes, yay!)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Why there are so many Chinese signs with "gently caress" in the English translation

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hate Bus central

(Telling people about Islam = hate)

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Love bus

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
:smug: bus

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
William Hilton Paul, 19, son of Randall Paul, arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct at the Charlotte, N.C. airport.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Saw this picture somewhere else.

Probably an accident by someone who didn't speak Spanish and grabbed the wrong sign.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

William Hilton Paul, 19, son of Randall Paul, arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct at the Charlotte, N.C. airport.

I bet the scene was something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBFj66niZvI

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 7, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Joementum posted:

Just finished chatting with a Libertarian/raw milk guy and he's mad enough he wants to kill someone because its Rand Paul's son being detained at an airport. If you're drunk and being an rear end in a top hat at an airport you should get arrested.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Highspeeddub posted:

Just finished chatting with a Libertarian/raw milk guy and he's mad enough he wants to kill someone because its Rand Paul's son being detained at an airport. If you're drunk and being an rear end in a top hat at an airport you should get arrested.

You got any links to drama over that? :allears:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hmmm...my son got new shoes in the mail yesterday:

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Well done you have discovered the skate brand Emerica

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

Made in USA denotes that 70% of the value of the item originates in the USA. Made in America doesn't mean anything.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

On that note,

http://gawker.com/5961169/unionmade-retailer-of-expensive-fashions-that-are-not-union-made

quote:

Unionmade is an upscale men's clothing store, based in San Francisco and celebrated by GQ, that sells $258 "Vintage Styled Work Shirts" and $68 Cow Horn Combs and $565 "Vintage" Levi Jeans, and things of that nature. The company says that it "aims to improve the lives of our customers, community and suppliers by offering fairly priced products made from the best available materials." You might want to know, however, that Unionmade's products are not union made.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

you libtards have gone too far

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

The trinity testing site in New Mexico. A monument to the age of nuclear warfare/tourist trap; what could be more American?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Revener posted:

The trinity testing site in New Mexico. A monument to the age of nuclear warfare/tourist trap; what could be more American?

Here's the Henry Moore monument commentating Chicago Pile-1 on the University of Chicago campus. It's a little more somber.

• Locked thread