Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Party in the UAE posted:

Thats loving precious. Every shirt pull, every clip, every shove is a foul by the letter of the laws. Don't see too many of those called regularly. And I'm not just talking about stoke here.

A shirt pull doesn't usually result in a goal. Last game day Man City got given a penalty for a dive outside the box. Every team shirt pulls/shoves ect but most teams don't have a Bale or a Young who looks to go to ground every chance they get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Byolante posted:

A shirt pull doesn't usually result in a goal. Last game day Man City got given a penalty for a dive outside the box. Every team shirt pulls/shoves ect but most teams don't have a Bale or a Young who looks to go to ground every chance they get.

Yes they do.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Clatterburg was calling every single pull and nudge on crosses and set pieces by both teams during West Ham vs Norwich and it completely ruined the game. Its dull as gently caress to hear a whistle everytime a cross gets sent in.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Weaponized Cum posted:

Some French lasses got naked and showed their bums to the camera. Oh they're in a football team too.

http://www.marca.com/2013/01/04/futbol/futbol_femenino/1357302506.html

Sophie is my favourite :swoon:

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Blue Screen Error posted:

Clatterburg was calling every single pull and nudge on crosses and set pieces by both teams during West Ham vs Norwich and it completely ruined the game. Its dull as gently caress to hear a whistle everytime a cross gets sent in.

the hope is that the players will cut that poo poo out

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

Byolante posted:

It wasn't a dive, I sit metres from where that occurred, it was however miles outside the box.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Pretty sure Shawcross's face is technically a bookable offence.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Blue Screen Error posted:

Hint: stop pulling shirts and the game won't be ruined.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Vegetable posted:

This is a pretty abrupt turnaround by him. Last year he did a similar programme on diving that included using videos and everything, and his conclusion essentially was "it's a really grey area both morally and legally". Now his attitude is basically "He's doing it to win the game, no problem. If he gets booked and suspended, that's the punishment. We shouldn't be harping on it."

In a sense he is correct but I'm seriously repulsed by the way he can say (regarding cycling) "I'd rather see a gold medal than see Great Britain play fair." Shouldn't be the solution to stamp out unfairness than to stoop to its level? It's idealistic but there's something disturbing about an accomplished, decorated footballer coming out to say, "We shouldn't make a big fuss about diving."

I wouldnt care if my team pulled out every detestable act of cheating known to man so long as it meant we actually won something

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I haven't watched the clip in a while but I thought Neville's point was more that we shouldn't demonise players specifically, because they have a job to do and that is to win. The surrounding system of laws, punishments etc. creates a situation in which it is literally their job to simulate if they can, and if refusing to do so brings fewer results for their club then that could be bad for their career.

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young

Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW

Byolante posted:

Um the lack of a pull might. Are you really this thick? Every team should stop shirt pulling. If no teams pulled, hacked, grabbed, shoved then diving would not be an issue.

MikeTheCoolOne
Jul 18, 2006

Drinking heavily the night before.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Bubble-T posted:

I haven't watched the clip in a while but I thought Neville's point was more that we shouldn't demonise players specifically, because they have a job to do and that is to win. The surrounding system of laws, punishments etc. creates a situation in which it is literally their job to simulate if they can, and if refusing to do so brings fewer results for their club then that could be bad for their career.
Just to whip out a choice quote: "If you are disgusted by Gareth Bale go and sing in a choir, don't watch elite sport, go and play the violin." He is literally saying that if you don't like people cheating you as a fan are to blame and you need to stop watching, not that the governing body should do more to stamp it out.

He repeatedly bangs on about how we have umpires and refs there to punish diving and if you get caught people just accept their punishment and move on. There are lots of issues with this statement as well. Firstly, people don't just accept their punishment and move on, just look at Bale whining in the media recently. Then there's the issue that the risk/reward is completely hosed since it's at worst a 50/50 that you get a penalty or a booking, and it isn't really 50/50 since some refs will just ignore it and play on, refs seem more inclined to give a penalty than book the striker etc. Sometimes one dive can completely change the game like the Young dive against QPR, a game united were going to cruise to victory in anyway but Young throws himself to the floor, wins a penalty, gets a man sent off, game over and QPR are now without one of their players for the next game due to suspension.

It's not even like there aren't things that could be done to make diving less worth the risk. For a start I'd make diving a red card offence in the same way a professional foul is a red card. One is cheating to stop a goal scoring opportunity the other is cheating to manufacture one so they seem like comparable offences in my eyes, diving is probably worse since sometimes a professional foul is a legitimate attempt to play the ball, a dive is always intentional cheating. Introduce retroactive punishments in case you did sneak by the ref at the time. Same deal, you get a 1 game ban, repeat offenders get 2 and so on.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Friday Flashback #20

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Redundant posted:

Just to whip out a choice quote: "If you are disgusted by Gareth Bale go and sing in a choir, don't watch elite sport, go and play the violin." He is literally saying that if you don't like people cheating you as a fan are to blame and you need to stop watching, not that the governing body should do more to stamp it out.

He repeatedly bangs on about how we have umpires and refs there to punish diving and if you get caught people just accept their punishment and move on. There are lots of issues with this statement as well. Firstly, people don't just accept their punishment and move on, just look at Bale whining in the media recently. Then there's the issue that the risk/reward is completely hosed since it's at worst a 50/50 that you get a penalty or a booking, and it isn't really 50/50 since some refs will just ignore it and play on, refs seem more inclined to give a penalty than book the striker etc. Sometimes one dive can completely change the game like the Young dive against QPR, a game united were going to cruise to victory in anyway but Young throws himself to the floor, wins a penalty, gets a man sent off, game over and QPR are now without one of their players for the next game due to suspension.

It's not even like there aren't things that could be done to make diving less worth the risk. For a start I'd make diving a red card offence in the same way a professional foul is a red card. One is cheating to stop a goal scoring opportunity the other is cheating to manufacture one so they seem like comparable offences in my eyes, diving is probably worse since sometimes a professional foul is a legitimate attempt to play the ball, a dive is always intentional cheating. Introduce retroactive punishments in case you did sneak by the ref at the time. Same deal, you get a 1 game ban, repeat offenders get 2 and so on.

There's some pretty selective quoting going on of that clip, and ignoring all context. He continuously points out that it's up to the refs/umpires/associations to police the game and he's right. In his video last year he pointed out incidents where players that don't go down despite being fouled rarely get a decision, which is why he can't criticise players that do go down after contact. He continues that he doesn't condone cheating, but these are elite sports professionals trying to win and it's for those appointed to police whatever sport to worry about enforcing the rules of it.

The Olympic cyclist that took a spill to cause a restart was little other than applauded for it, by the way.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Redundant posted:

What about the situations where a player legitimately loses his balance and falls over or the ref didn't spot the sneaky pull or whatever. All this accomplishes is making every defender try to get an opponent sent off. Professional athletes are the most competitive people in the world, that's why they are playing at the level they are and their clubs pay them to win.

Hegay fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 5, 2013

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Ninpo posted:

There's some pretty selective quoting going on of that clip, and ignoring all context. He continuously points out that it's up to the refs/umpires/associations to police the game and he's right. In his video last year he pointed out incidents where players that don't go down despite being fouled rarely get a decision, which is why he can't criticise players that do go down after contact. He continues that he doesn't condone cheating, but these are elite sports professionals trying to win and it's for those appointed to police whatever sport to worry about enforcing the rules of it.

The Olympic cyclist that took a spill to cause a restart was little other than applauded for it, by the way.
There's a difference between not criticising the player and actively criticising the fans for being anti-diving though which is in effect what he did in what I quoted. There's also a difference between going down when you're fouled, going down at the slightest touch and going down without any contact at all. The first is a bit of a grey area because different people will have varying opinions on what a "foul" is so that is up to the ref, the other 2 are out and out dives though and should be punished, not applauded or condoned. The issue is that it's really hard to spot a dive at full speed from sometimes less than favourable angles which then leads into the issues of risk/reward that I mentioned in my last post. Only changes to the rules of the game will change that and having respected pundits come out and effectively say "he's doing the right thing" makes those changes less likely because it makes it seem like it is "part of the game".

I imagine he was applauded in Britain but not in the countries of the other competitors, sports fans are pretty hypocritical in what they will accept when it's done by their own team (I aren't an exception to this).

Hegav posted:

What about the situations where a player legitimately loses his balance and falls over or the ref didn't spot the sneaky pull or whatever. All this accomplishes is making every defender try to get an opponent sent off. Professional athletes are the most competitive people in the world, that's why they are playing at the level they are and their clubs pay them to win.
It's really quite easy to spot if a player has legitimately lost their balance/slipped so that isn't a big issue. As for defenders trying to get opponents sent off with a "sneaky pull", the risk/reward thing would at least deter them. Sure, you might get the striker sent off, but you're just as likely to give away a penalty and get yourself booked which is a pretty big risk to take in a close game.

e: Basically if you're attempting to get someone sent off by fouling them in your own box you are taking a massive risk and statistically I just doubt it would be worth it.

Redundant fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 5, 2013

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

oh god who is this? At first I thought it was Van Basten...it's not is it?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gigi Galli posted:

oh god who is this? At first I thought it was Van Basten...it's not is it?

van Nistelrooy?

MikeTheCoolOne
Jul 18, 2006

Drinking heavily the night before.

Ninpo posted:

van Nistelrooy?

Yup

Didn't know he was doing panto.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ruud-van-nistelrooy-hospital-visit-741929-Jan2013/

quote:

As part of a long-running tradition in Spain, children receive presents from one of the three kings [Reyes Magos] on the night of 5 January or the morning of 6 January.
They often arrive in town as part of a cavalcade with much fanfare – being conspicuous is not their biblical bag.

Many of van Nistelrooy’s followers on Twitter mistook the forward for Zwart Piet, a Dutch folk hero, but an earlier Tweet confirmed that he was visiting the Spanish hospital as Balthazar.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Is it not some Dutch tradition to black up for some celebration and then get really pissy when the racism is pointed out?

Edit: or what was said above, I should refresh before posting.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
To me, he's cosplaying as the Tiger guy from Mike Tysons punch out

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Redundant posted:

There's a difference between not criticising the player and actively criticising the fans for being anti-diving though which is in effect what he did in what I quoted. There's also a difference between going down when you're fouled, going down at the slightest touch and going down without any contact at all. The first is a bit of a grey area because different people will have varying opinions on what a "foul" is so that is up to the ref, the other 2 are out and out dives though and should be punished, not applauded or condoned. The issue is that it's really hard to spot a dive at full speed from sometimes less than favourable angles which then leads into the issues of risk/reward that I mentioned in my last post. Only changes to the rules of the game will change that and having respected pundits come out and effectively say "he's doing the right thing" makes those changes less likely because it makes it seem like it is "part of the game".

In many ways that's the point he's making, though. He's saying it's the job of the associations to put in place rules regarding contact and diving and then to apply them, not the players. He's not saying that you can't change anything, but that it's not Gareth Bale's job to uphold a code of chivalry when he's been fouled and is "within his rights" to go down. Particularly when quite often if a player doesn't go down when fouled the referee will ignore it.

I watched the show, and I'm not entirely sure I agree with him entirely, but he's not endorsing cheating as much as he's saying that professional sportspeople are always going to look for the maximum advantage they can gain at the margins of the law and that they're not going to stop just because it makes you sad.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I don't understand why I don't hate Van Persie. Right down to the bottom of my heart I want United to fail, Arsenal fans turned me off Arsenal, and just look at that smug loving face. Still though, he's so good and I love watching him.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
He deserves that celebration, he's the best there is in England at the moment.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
You would have to be a massive ABU to say otherwise. He is phenomenal at the moment, and one of the biggest reasons entire teams breathe a collective sigh of relief on the whistle at the end of the game.

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008
This is pretty cool

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Why did they do that?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Can't even sell out their ground against Liverpool. Pretty shameful.

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

jyrka posted:

Why did they do that?

Tribute to the people that lost their lives at Hillsborough. After all the fuss going on after the documents were released last year, I think it is a nice touch.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

jyrka posted:

Why did they do that?

Same reason you would hire a call girl as CEO and then marry her

So there's something for ESPN to point cameras at and talk about

sassassin posted:

Mansfield aren't legally allowed to fill their entire capacity since they only have two stewards, one of which is a middle-aged anorexic woman who will talk to you at length about how all her teeth are falling out

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

sassassin posted:

It's been done in the segregation area between home and away support.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

JunkDeluxe posted:

This is pretty cool

Class gesture

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

sassassin posted:

They didn't have to pack the seats all together.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Same reason you would hire a call girl as CEO and then marry her

:lol: I now understand this thanks to that pre-match interview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

• Locked thread