Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Tom Pridgen posted:

Anyone know of a good site that has rare stuff, like 90s indie on vinyl? Unless they reissue it's really hard to find.

Ebay is your best bet if you don't want reissues, I suppose. I have found like Swervedriver's Raise and other shoegaze classics for cheap on auction sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
I just got these three:

Second pressing of the first Flaming Lips EP. This and the first pressing were self-released by the band.

Chromatics - Night Drive
Chromatics - Kill for Love

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 2, 2013

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wanna throw my hat into reccomending MusicDirect. Good service, extremely fast shipping (I ordered 3 days after a order from walmart.com and best buy and it came two days before with the basic shipping). That said DO NOT EVER buy a record from walmart.com. I ordered the White Album and it arrived with corners bent ugh.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Tom Pridgen posted:

My friend owns a record store, so I tend to just peruse their selection (which is mostly used vinyl). I did get a Hot Water Music LP (A Flight and A Crash) and Earth 2 from him.

Other than that I use Amazon. I have prime so there really isn't a reason for me not to unless they just don't have it (which is often).

Anyone know of a good site that has rare stuff, like 90s indie on vinyl? Unless they reissue it's really hard to find.

You should make a want list on https://www.discogs.com you'll get a daily email listing all the stuff on your list that went up that day and it's usually sightless cheaper than eBay. The only downside is stuff with really low prices can sell before the daily email goes out.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Abu Dave posted:

I wanna throw my hat into reccomending MusicDirect. Good service, extremely fast shipping (I ordered 3 days after a order from walmart.com and best buy and it came two days before with the basic shipping). That said DO NOT EVER buy a record from walmart.com. I ordered the White Album and it arrived with corners bent ugh.

I haven't ordered from them before, but soundstagedirect.com has been good to me the few times I've ordered from them. I normally buy from my local stores though.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Surfingelectrode posted:

I just got these three:

Second pressing of the first Flaming Lips EP. This and the first pressing were self-released by the band.

I haven't listened to that EP yet. Would you say it's good?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

WASDF posted:

I haven't listened to that EP yet. Would you say it's good?

I've always liked it. It's kinda goofy and Mark can't sing at all, but I think it's fun.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Surfingelectrode posted:

I've always liked it. It's kinda goofy and Mark can't sing at all, but I think it's fun.

That never stopped Wayne.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Wayne's voice irritates me so much that I can't really get into them, even though I love the music. It's weird man.

Stopped by the coolest little shop in town today and grabbed these:

Jorma Kaukonen - Quah
Kansas - Leftoverture
Genesis - Tresspass
Gentle Giant - Interview
Fripp & Eno - No Pussyfooting

I really want to take acid and space out to Fripp & Eno. It's really cool ambient drone type stuff.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 4, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I have only seen No Pussyfooting in a store once and they wanted $75 for it :( great music though

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

david puddy posted:

I have only seen No Pussyfooting in a store once and they wanted $75 for it :( great music though

Why waste your $75 on an album when you can get these rare records in "Excellent condition":wtc:

God I hate Gumtree.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Holy poo poo. This one was $9, and the only real flaw is that the guy put the price sticker right on the cardboard, not the plastic sleeve. Should come off pretty easily, though.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Ron Burgundy posted:

Why waste your $75 on an album when you can get these rare records in "Excellent condition":wtc:

God I hate Gumtree.

:australia:
Other gems I've found include Led Zeppelin IV for $50 and 2112 for $40. Both are available on discogs for less than $4. Also every Beatles record. I still can't believe my local stores charge $40+ for a beat up copy of Abbey Road.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Holy poo poo. This one was $9, and the only real flaw is that the guy put the price sticker right on the cardboard, not the plastic sleeve. Should come off pretty easily, though.

This is probably my biggest pet peeve about record stores and I can't believe so many do it. If you're going to do it, at least have the decency to find a brand of stickers that peel off easily without taking any of the cover with them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TrixRabbi posted:

This is probably my biggest pet peeve about record stores and I can't believe so many do it. If you're going to do it, at least have the decency to find a brand of stickers that peel off easily without taking any of the cover with them.

Some of them actually do.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Well the new Vault package got announced today and it looks REALLY good. I am already looking forward to this.

Jack White and The Bricks live LP from 1999
Pre-Raconteurs demos 7"
White Heat DVD (White Stripes + Whirlwind Heat Tour Footage)

http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/view/vault-package-15

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bliggers- posted:

Well the new Vault package got announced today and it looks REALLY good. I am already looking forward to this.

Jack White and The Bricks live LP from 1999
Pre-Raconteurs demos 7"
White Heat DVD (White Stripes + Whirlwind Heat Tour Footage)

http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/view/vault-package-15

I was pretty hyped about this. Did you get the 14th package?

Lisand
Jan 2, 2013

synthetik posted:

Audacity is terrific for recording without spending any money, in my opinion.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

just wanted to second this. for anyone looking to record, you really don't need anything else.

I'm having a lovely afternoon with talk talk

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

That ghost cat is about to re-enact its death by electrocution again.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

Lisand posted:

just wanted to second this. for anyone looking to record, you really don't need anything else.

I'm having a lovely afternoon with talk talk

Is this the recent reissue put out by a label called Ba Da Bing records, and if so, does this album have BADABING written on it in giant letters

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I had a nice haul of 7" records today.

Elton John's "Your Song" b/w "Take Me to the Pilot." Both in a mono mix.
Paul Simon and Art Garfunkle's "Faking It" (with a playtime of 2:74?) b/w "You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies"
Paul Simon and Art Garfunkle's "Sounds of Silence" b/w "We've Got a Groovy Thing Going"
Warren Zevon: "Reconsider Me (Single Recording)" b/w "The Factory."

Seriously, if you've only heard Simon and Garfunkle in stereo, you haven't really heard them. The mono mixes are just so brash that I wonder why Sony hasn't released them on CD yet.

I also picked up two LPs: 10,000 Maniacs "In My Tribe" with Peace Train on it, and Japan's "Obscure Alternative," featuring a second LP of live tracks and single releases, like their awesome cover of "I Second That Emotion." It was also on red vinyl.

I also got Taylor Swift's Red on vinyl as a gift... and yet, they didn't release that on red vinyl! What's wrong with these people! Your album is called Red! You might as well release it on red vinyl to make a nice little package!

I actually kind of like the music though...

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 5, 2013

Lisand
Jan 2, 2013

dutch wife abc posted:

Is this the recent reissue put out by a label called Ba Da Bing records, and if so, does this album have BADABING written on it in giant letters

yes it is, but the "BA DA BING" logo is pretty small and inconspicuous...why, is the label known to do that?

dross eater
Sep 21, 2004

What do people like for a cleaning vinyl on the cheap? A hand brush and some sort of solution?

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

CPL593H posted:

I was pretty hyped about this. Did you get the 14th package?

Yup it's really nice and arrived in perfect shape. I am very happy they changed the mailers.

I need more blue/black split colours!

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Not entirely sure if this goes here, I got an Audio Technica LP60 for my birthday and I have it running through my computer speakers. Its decent sounding right now but I'm wondering what the next step would be to improve the overall sound, a "cheap" set of dedicated speakers or a "cheap" preamp?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bliggers- posted:

Yup it's really nice and arrived in perfect shape. I am very happy they changed the mailers.

I need more blue/black split colours!

Did you find that disc one of the live album had all kinds of static noise through out?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

lazerwolf posted:

Not entirely sure if this goes here, I got an Audio Technica LP60 for my birthday and I have it running through my computer speakers. Its decent sounding right now but I'm wondering what the next step would be to improve the overall sound, a "cheap" set of dedicated speakers or a "cheap" preamp?

The lads (and some of us) will help you out here

For actual content, a decent vintage amp is your best bet. They can be had for a song at thrift stores, garage sales, CL, but post them in that thread and we will tell you to pass, or if it's a rip off.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Ron Burgundy posted:

The lads (and some of us) will help you out here

For actual content, a decent vintage amp is your best bet. They can be had for a song at thrift stores, garage sales, CL, but post them in that thread and we will tell you to pass, or if it's a rip off.

Awesome thank you

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

dross eater posted:

What do people like for a cleaning vinyl on the cheap? A hand brush and some sort of solution?

Spit and my sleeve, basically.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

dross eater posted:

Yes a wipe with a lint free cloth, and then a few revs with a carbon fibre record brush should get all but the filthiest records in playable order.

For the extra dirty, a few drops of light dishwashing detergent like dawn in some water and a good scrub with a light bristle brush then a rinse with distilled water should get the really bad ones (mind the labels). Let them air dry for at least 12 hours before playing.

Then there's always wood glue.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
My buddy has some crazy vacuum box contraption.

I'm really tempted to just show up at his house with a couple hundred records.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
RCMs are really nice but even basic ones seem to go for like $1000 AUD. Even though I have a pretty sizeable collection, I've still ummed and arred about it for years because it's just so much money.

There's always the DIY route, but I've always been pretty poo poo at that sort of thing.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

Lisand posted:

yes it is, but the "BA DA BING" logo is pretty small and inconspicuous...why, is the label known to do that?

No, I just thought it seemed funny to have such a phrase written on a Talk Talk album.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I need to move half-way across the country, and I was wondering if you guys have any suggested methods for getting your records over there.

Just to clarify, I am aware that at some point, a box and a form of transportation is going to become a necessity, since our 20th and 21st century experts haven't spent enough time working on transporters. But I'm wondering what kind of packaging you would recommend and all that jazz.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

I need to move half-way across the country, and I was wondering if you guys have any suggested methods for getting your records over there.

Just to clarify, I am aware that at some point, a box and a form of transportation is going to become a necessity, since our 20th and 21st century experts haven't spent enough time working on transporters. But I'm wondering what kind of packaging you would recommend and all that jazz.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIO-DYNAMICS-ATA-100-LP-RECORD-ROAD-CASE-SILVER-NEW-/160377101590

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Nice size and super strong (double wall)

http://www.ecobox.com/Moving-Supplies/Boxes-Heavy-Duty_2/14-x-14-x-14-275-Double-Wall-Corrugated-Box

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

quote:

Doognad is proud to announce the collaboration with Jakob! In 2013 we will release their long awaited new album on vinyl. That is not all, Solace will see a re-press on Doognad AND both Subsets of Sets and Cale:Drew will finally be available on the vinyl format.

oh my god this is literally the best piece of news I have ever read
Jakob are my favourite band after Porcupine Tree, so keen for both a new album and the vinyl pressings of their first two (and repress of their third) is totally unexpected and incredible

http://youtu.be/LaS8ATmWSYA

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Got some jams over the holiday.

I spent maybe too much on that Ghost album.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

WASDF posted:

Got some jams over the holiday.

I spent maybe too much on that Ghost album.

How much did you spend on Filth? That's sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Holy poo poo, Crystal Castles III finally shipped.