Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

orenronen posted:

Click for video! (Youtube via Polsy)

I'm not kidding, click for video.

Why haven’t you clicked for video?

Pfft haha ahahah aha what

Monobear just whipped out the Thunderzords.

Oh Dangan Ronpa 2 how could I have ever doubted you? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

orenronen posted:

What... is going on? Who's this new stuffed toy?

A few others have noticed this, but it's odd that Togami doesn't appear to recognize Monobear.

Of course, there's a number of possible explanations. The Despair organization has been demonstrated to have the ability to manipulate memories, so they might have wiped Togami's memory. Then again, if they had, I'd expect him to be a bit more confused about his sudden weight gain since the end of the first game.

Or maybe Togami does recognize Monobear, but is keeping it close to his chest. That might explain why he looks so uncharacteristically freaked out, when in the first game he considered himself the invincible King of Smug Mountain.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Theory: Aoi started channeling Sakura, and the resulting character is Akane (similar to Ishimaru channeling Mondo to produce Ishida). This is supported by Akane looking pretty similar to Aoi but with more bulk, martial ability and a power-up sprite. This could be important if it turns out the ultimate aim of Monobear is to try and revive a dead person or something.

Some other characters seem a bit like they might have done this (Nagito? Chiaki?) but there isn't any clear evidence for it yet.

Anoia posted:

None of the callback characters seem to recognize him.
Nagito's reaction suggests he might - as in "I didn't expect to see him again".

Louispul5
Oct 10, 2012
Well he had to up the ante, Sakura fought him to a standstill last time. Now he has to deal with at least 3 Sakura level athletes.

I wonder if the magic stick is the remote control for all the island's stuff and getting it back and working again will be a plot point.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Wyvernil posted:

A few others have noticed this, but it's odd that Togami doesn't appear to recognize Monobear.

Of course, there's a number of possible explanations. The Despair organization has been demonstrated to have the ability to manipulate memories, so they might have wiped Togami's memory. Then again, if they had, I'd expect him to be a bit more confused about his sudden weight gain since the end of the first game.

Or maybe Togami does recognize Monobear, but is keeping it close to his chest. That might explain why he looks so uncharacteristically freaked out, when in the first game he considered himself the invincible King of Smug Mountain.

Or it's a family member?

Or the two Togamis aren't the same person and it's nothing more than the developers loving with the fanbase? (I prefer this theory because it keeps bullshit guessulation to a minimum).

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

likecnsnnts posted:

Crytpic. Is this another broadcast like last time? Or is Monobear just playing with the fourth wall again?

I'm guessing fourth wall; pretty much everyone was waiting for this moment. And I'll admit it, as hilarious as the series doing a 180 and having no deaths would be, I felt relief as soon as those clouds darkened.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Seshoho Cian posted:

I made a gang tag that I feel accurately represents the posters in this thread.

(this is just a joke please don't get mad)

Remember when everyone in the Uncharted 2 thread got Jeff avatars? I think you know where I'm going with this.

Fedule posted:

At this juncture, I would like to offer a little shout-out to HelloWinter.

No reason.

You never need a reason to give her a shout out. :3:

Hello, HelloWinter.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Or alternatively he could've just been saying "What in the gently caress is a Monobear?"

I did like Monobear's comment about skewering a culprit's head on a spit. Perfect punishment for Hanamura, no?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Seshoho Cian posted:

I made a gang tag that I feel accurately represents the posters in this thread.

(this is just a joke please don't get mad)

This will become the Uncharted 2 Jeff avatar of a new generation.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

orenronen posted:

Honestly... Monomi is a bit of a dim child. She just doesn't get it no matter how many times I tell her.
But, you know, a little sister smarter than her big brother is a fantasy that only exists in manga, isn't it?

I can't believe Monobear is sexist.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
To be perfectly honest, I was enjoying the field trip of friendship because it had nothing to do with stabbing another dude in the back, and instead involved making friends.

So basically I'm getting as close as I can get to being scared by a video game right now. Because Monobear's games legitimately scares me in a moral way.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

orenronen posted:

As I thought... it is you!
But... why...?

Why is Monobear here?!

Interesting... So Usami Monomi knew about Monobear's existence all along. Makes you wonder if they're in cahoots after all, since those giant robots were probably hidden in that statue before the students even arrived there. That said, I really wonder how the Monobeasts will come into play. Will they be Monobear's enforcers/Gungnir equivalent for this game? Can Monobear see anything the other robots see? Are they all controlled by the same person, or...?

Also, I'm gonna be disappointed if the robots aren't named Suzaku, Byakko, Genbu and Seiryuu. :v:

orenronen posted:

...Do you want to be my big sister? The big sister I had no contact with for years and years?

This line in particular struck me as suspicious. That sounds too much like it's referring to Mukuro there. Perhaps everyone's favorite SHSL Despair Fashionista isn't quite dead after all...?

orenronen posted:

A battle, huh? Can I take this black-and-white dude out?

I'll be honest here, I was expecting Monobear to kill off a good fourth of the cast right then and there for threatening violence, but I'm really glad he didn't. Still, holy poo poo Akane :allears:

Very Notable
Oct 10, 2012

People who know fear are that much harder to kill.

Theory: Aoi started channeling Sakura, and the resulting character is Akane (similar to Ishimaru channeling Mondo to produce Ishida). This is supported by Akane looking pretty similar to Aoi but with more bulk, martial ability and a power-up sprite. This could be important if it turns out the ultimate aim of Monobear is to try and revive a dead person or something.
It's the blue auras:

Although, for some reason I don't see four five mecha beasts really being an issue for this class.

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
I was about to say that the monozords seems a bit out there, even for Monobear shenanigans, but then I remembered the Anime Norse Spears Out Of Nowhere, so it's probably more accurate to say that it's a different kind of strange.

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

I can't decide which of these is my favorite.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I love all of the characters even more with every update. I was surprised the rabbit wasn't instantly brainwashed to help Monobear (if this isn't all just an act). Its better this way.

Lujei Piche
Jun 6, 2003

I have felt the swaying of the elephant's shoulders; and now you want me to climb on a jackass? Try to be serious.

Mersenne posted:

This line in particular struck me as suspicious. That sounds too much like it's referring to Mukuro there. Perhaps everyone's favorite SHSL Despair Fashionista isn't quite dead after all...?

Yeah, I don't see how that line could be anything but a reference to Mukuro. I've always thought that Junko's real reason for killing her sister in the first game was revenge for Mukuro going off to Fenrir without her and the Despair Game just gave her a handy excuse to do it after she'd gotten all the use she could out of her sister.

Junko seemed pretty crushed at the end of the first game, but who knows? Monobear did move after her death, so maybe Junko had it programmed with a separate AI as a backup in case anything happened to her, an AI based off her personality?

Sunnydere
Nov 2, 2012

(Does The Hottest Dance)

Welcome to my fell storefront! Thank you for your dark business.
I was expecting a lot of things.

I was not expecting Mono Voltron straight out of the gate, so well played DR2. I'm also really glad to see the students band together, maybe they can still achieve friendship . . . while murdering each other a girl can dream okay.

Also, did anyone else notice Hiyoko not protesting any of this? You know she's fistpumping in the background somewhere.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sunnydere posted:

I was expecting a lot of things.

I was not expecting Mono Voltron straight out of the gate, so well played DR2. I'm also really glad to see the students band together, maybe they can still achieve friendship . . . while murdering each other a girl can dream okay.

Also, did anyone else notice Hiyoko not protesting any of this? You know she's fistpumping in the background somewhere.

She likes killing helpless animals. Considering some of the other students, she is a helpless animal compared to them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lujei Piche posted:

Yeah, I don't see how that line could be anything but a reference to Mukuro. I've always thought that Junko's real reason for killing her sister in the first game was revenge for Mukuro going off to Fenrir without her and the Despair Game just gave her a handy excuse to do it after she'd gotten all the use she could out of her sister.

Junko seemed pretty crushed at the end of the first game, but who knows? Monobear did move after her death, so maybe Junko had it programmed with a separate AI as a backup in case anything happened to her, an AI based off her personality?

It's an anime trope reference because Monobear does that poo poo constantly. It could have a deeper meaning but it really is just probably that.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Gally posted:

I love all of the characters even more with every update. I was surprised the rabbit wasn't instantly brainwashed to help Monobear (if this isn't all just an act). Its better this way.

Now that you mention it, this is all very likely a rouse. Isn't Monobear supposed to be all powerful at the end of the first one? It's unlikely that a friendship retreat would happen under him without his input.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Lujei Piche posted:

That line stands out because you're looking for a connection. Does Monobear referring to Monomi as his little sister serve as a reference too? You're looking too deep into this. It was just another joke regarding Monomi's resistance to what he was saying.

This is Monobear's first appearance in Dangan Ronpa 2. I think trying to guess who he is based on this scene would be utterly pointless and baseless.

Brother Entropy posted:

Besides, weren't Mukuro and Junko twins? There's no Big Sister of the two to refer to.

edit: Whoops, my mistake. Junko is the younger sister.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 6, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

orenronen posted:

I was so hoping this was going to turn into the second coming of Genocider Syo. Really though it's hard to be disappointed in any part of Monobear's resurgence. It was just one bit of mind-breaking insanity after another leading all the way to a freaking giant robot army.

drat if he hasn't picked the wrong crew to try that with, every one of them seems to be spoiling for a fight right now.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's an anime trope reference because Monobear does that poo poo constantly. It could have a deeper meaning but it really is just probably that.

Yeah, don't overthink it, it's just a pop culture reference like the 'smarter younger sister in manga' line.

Besides, weren't Mukuro and Junko twins? There's no Big Sister of the two to refer to.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
I went through and checked to see which characters said something after Monobear appeared. Out of the cast, the only people who didn't have anything to say were Hiyoko, our psychopathic classical dancer, and Gundam, the animal breeder.

Hiyoko's silence seems the more interesting of the two, because she seems like she'd be the most able to adjust to the trip of Mutual Killing. I'm not sure about Gundam's lack of response, because he is definitely the most reserved and withdrawn of the cast so far, only seeming to both speaking when spoken to. On the other hand, he strikes me as someone who would have major problems submitting to someone else's authority, especially since he's openly talked about ruling the world. His lack of challenge makes me think he's either working with Despair or that he's already planning the first murder.

Nagito was the other person with an interesting response, yeah. Togami definitely seemed to be at least pretending not to have recognized Monobear, but all Nagito said was "Monobear?" It could be nothing, but it could also mean he recognizes Monobear and is apparently shocked to see him again

orenronen posted:

Upupu, they're the usual rules, so it's easy to grasp, isn't it?

This was the only other thing that especially stood out to me. The comment about the rules being 'usual' seems to strongly imply that this has happened before. If that's the case, it seems likely that this game takes place after DR1. The only other possibility, aside from it being a translation artifact, is that there's been another round of Despair experiments before either game and that DR2 and DR1 are at least second and third, respectively. But since the only hint is a single word, Occam's Razor makes it more likely this is just a straight sequel, at least until we get more information

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm not that big on animes, but I swear this looks just like the main character from Devilman from when I was a kid.

I mean, other than being a woman, but the character design (claws, auras, frazzled her, canines, eyes, fur on arms) looks near identical to him.

As for the Zords, well, I didn't see that twist coming that's for sure.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CrushedB posted:

Out of all the islands she could have picked, Usami picked the one with Monobear's giant robots in the middle of it... how ironic...

Usami choose the starter island to give out the gifts, Monobear showed up and then led everyone to the center island. Usami didn't choose it.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I think Togami's reaction to Monobear is ambiguous enough that you can't determine whether he recognizes Monobear from it or not. Remember: as far as he knew at the end of the first game, Monobear was essentially Junko, who controlled him through the Monobear control room the entire time. We never saw Monobear being seemingly autonomous until the post-credits stinger.

So, I think we could possibly take his "What... is going on? Who's this new stuffed toy?" to mean something like "What... is going on? Who's this new stuffed toy? Because it can't be the old Monobear, because the old Monobear was Junko, and Junko is dead."

Only a possibility, but I think it's too early to say that Togami doesn't recognize Monobear.

Similarly, Monobear might not recognize Togami because he might presently be under the control of someone who wasn't involved in the first game and didn't meet him before.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I think Togami's reaction to Monobear is ambiguous enough that you can't determine whether he recognizes Monobear from it or not. Remember: as far as he knew at the end of the first game, Monobear was essentially Junko, who controlled him through the Monobear control room the entire time. We never saw Monobear being seemingly autonomous until the post-credits stinger.

So, I think we could possibly take his "What... is going on? Who's this new stuffed toy?" to mean something like "What... is going on? Who's this new stuffed toy? Because it can't be the old Monobear, because the old Monobear was Junko, and Junko is dead."

Only a possibility, but I think it's too early to say that Togami doesn't recognize Monobear.

Similarly, Monobear might not recognize Togami because he might presently be under the control of someone who wasn't involved in the first game and didn't meet him before.

Hmm... Yeah, this makes perfect sense upon reflection, I actually somewhat forgot about that scene,

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Monobear hasn't even shown signs that he hasn't recognised him either. Unless there's a reason to single him out, he wouldn't really have any reason to say, "Oh, hey Togami!" Of course, that's when the fat jokes come out, but I'd assume that's not when he's explaining the premise of the game.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Togami gonna save everyone by eating Monobear, calling it now.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SHSL Werewolf is my new favorite character.

Cyrai posted:

This was the only other thing that especially stood out to me. The comment about the rules being 'usual' seems to strongly imply that this has happened before. If that's the case, it seems likely that this game takes place after DR1.

Yeah, I'm pretty convinced now that it's a direct sequel. Monobear made a few of these comments, like "it's been a while", like he's playing it up for the audience. Since we still have security cameras stationed around, it seems likely that things are being broadcast again to try and counter the DR1 cast's victory with more despair propoganda.

I also really liked how the jocks banded together straight away to confront Monobear, but I doubt they can stand up to Monovoltron. I hope they don't back down too soon. This place isn't as literally locked down as the DR1 school building was, they should at least try and use their SHSL skills to make a boat out of coconuts or something. And then maybe that could lead to the first murder, as the more anxious types like Mikan doubt whether they would make it or not... it would be extra despair-inducing if Monobear doesn't ever crack down on anyone's personal escape attempts, but it's other students who foil these attemps because they don't have enough hope to escape on their own terms.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Huh.

Huuuuuh.

Whelp, I'm fully down with the 'it's a computer simulation' interpretation now. It's NOT just the weird blip at the beginning, there's a frigging ton of incidental evidence by now (admittedly, most of it can be ignored if you work at finding alternate explanations, but I like applying Occam's razor occasionally and this is one of the times where 'the simplest explanation' is 'computer simulation'). Seriously, take Togami not recognizing Monobear (hell, there BEING a Togami at all, really), take the oh-so-suspicious mix-and-match traits of several students from the previous game in the new students, the memory shenanegans (which, if you stop taking the existence of easy memory manipulation at face value (HOW IS THIS DONE?), is an argument for the previous cast of students from DR1 being in a computer simulation as well), Usami running her Friendship Tour on an island chain that inexplicably has MONOBEAR ZORDS, the weather mysteriously changing, the chicken-into-cow trick, and so forth.

I'll honestly be surprised if it isn't a computer simulation at this point... so if it isn't, good fakeout, game! Either way, it's going to be a lovely ride.

And, in line with the above, I think Usami/Monomi is an iteration of Alter Ego from the last game, which explains why there's something here actually concerned with building friendship, rather than students murdering the crap out of each other. I think it took upon itself to run the simulation again, and show the world Hope, as opposed to Despair, but the Monobear from the last game still being active is gumming up its gears and taking control over the show. Or possibly the Monobear that 'survived' the last game is simply running it again, and has turned the role of Alter Ego into Usami, giving her a dash of foreknowledge and setting everything up for more Despair by prepackaging and controlling the traits of the Deus Ex Machina from the last runthrough of this little game of Mutual High School Killing.

By the way, did anyone notice how Monobear seems to refer to itself in a 'he' role ('big brother', etc.)? Did it use to do that in the last game? I honestly can't remember now.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Cyrai posted:

I'm not sure about Gundam's lack of response, because he is definitely the most reserved and withdrawn of the cast so far, only seeming to both speaking when spoken to. On the other hand, he strikes me as someone who would have major problems submitting to someone else's authority, especially since he's openly talked about ruling the world. His lack of challenge makes me think he's either working with Despair or that he's already planning the first murder.
Gundam is one of the most interesting characters to me right now, because I really have no idea what to expect from him at this point. I mean, we don't really know anyone well enough at this point to do more than guess, but Gundam... he is, to me, the only one who seems like he could easily be any one of Killer, Victim, or Innocent.

My first impression of him is that he's basically the new Genocider Syo: An incredibly hammy, obvious villain played as a joke character. But does that mean he'll turn out to be harmless, like Syo? (During the actual events of DR1, that is.) Especially since his "signature weapon" is trained hamsters, compared to Syo's scissors. How could he kill someone with hamsters? Or is that just what he/the writer wants you to think? Or maybe he kills someone in a mundane way, and you don't suspect him, because they weren't killed by hamsters? Or maybe the game will throw a total curveball, and Gundam will end up a victim? I don't know, and I'm dying to find out.

The game already threw a major curveball with those robots. I mean, you gotta expect the unexpected from a Dangan Ronpa sequel, but... :stare:

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

RiffRaff1138 posted:

The game already threw a major curveball with those robots. I mean, you gotta expect the unexpected from a Dangan Ronpa sequel, but... :stare:
Yeah, in all the possible things I could've pictured Monobear doing at that point, summoning a group of giant robots was way off my radar. But I think we can all agree how loving awesome it was.

Lujei Piche
Jun 6, 2003

I have felt the swaying of the elephant's shoulders; and now you want me to climb on a jackass? Try to be serious.

CrashScreen posted:

That line stands out because you're looking for a connection. Does Monobear referring to Monomi as his little sister serve as a reference too? You're looking too deep into this. It was just another joke regarding Monomi's resistance to what he was saying.

This is Monobear's first appearance in Dangan Ronpa 2. I think trying to guess who he is based on this scene would be utterly pointless and baseless.

Well, considering that Monobear was Junko's creation/alter ego, and Junko had a older twin sister who abandoned her for years to go off with a mercenary group...that seems like a pretty direct reference to Mukuro to me. But, it's obviously too early in the game to know. Maybe it is a trope reference, and maybe it's a reference to Mukuro.

CrashScreen posted:

There's also this, I guess; although, I thought they considered Junko the big sister because she was born some minutes before Mukuro?

Junko explicitly said she was the younger sister in DR. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447397&pagenumber=640#post408940729

Taking the part of the athletic older sister, Mukuro Ikusaba. Taking the part of the genius cute little sister, me.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

Gally posted:

Now that Usami's been usurped, I kinda wish she (or her controller) functionally counts as another student now. Surely a talking robot bunny would have the most amazing free time events :3:

Bifauxnen posted:

I also really liked how the jocks banded together straight away to confront Monobear, but I doubt they can stand up to Monovoltron.

...Maybe they can. Something's been bothering me ever since we saw the little supermarket had military supplies on display. It's probably too early to say, given that all the other numbered islands are locked down, but perhaps they're actually in an abandoned military base? Even if it's not, though, I hope the survivors eventually find something they can use to shut down/take out the Monobeasts. Like a rocket launcher. Or a giant robot of their own. :unsmigghh:

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

:stare: Well, holy poo poo. He's got TransformersTM. Hang on a minute - if this entire thing - including Usami - isn't just some setup by the SHSL Despair Group, then why were there Transformers inside the statue? I mean, if Usami really was telling the truth and was legitimately trying to foster friendships and such on a peaceful safe island, then what are Transformers doing inside the statue?

Have you ever watched an anime? The giant robots always defeat evil with friendship and lasers :hellyeah:. They were probably Hopebots or something like that before Monobear corrupted them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bifauxnen posted:

This place isn't as literally locked down as the DR1 school building was, they should at least try and use their SHSL skills to make a boat out of coconuts or something. And then maybe that could lead to the first murder, as the more anxious types like Mikan doubt whether they would make it or not... it would be extra despair-inducing if Monobear doesn't ever crack down on anyone's personal escape attempts, but it's other students who foil these attemps because they don't have enough hope to escape on their own terms.

This is one of the points that's really interesting to me, primarily because of this exchange:

orenronen posted:

W...What if no one kills? Are you saying we can't leave the island?

Who knows?

Given Monobear's personality, I'm pretty sure that he means "no" and is just leaving the possibility dangling in order to gently caress with the students. But it will be interesting to see what might actually be preventing them from leaving the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Scribbleykins posted:

Whelp, I'm fully down with the 'it's a computer simulation' interpretation now. It's NOT just the weird blip at the beginning, there's a frigging ton of incidental evidence by now (admittedly, most of it can be ignored if you work at finding alternate explanations, but I like applying Occam's razor occasionally and this is one of the times where 'the simplest explanation' is 'computer simulation').

Occam's Razor means finding the explanation with the fewest unfounded assumptions. The existance of full on matrix technology is a pretty major unfounded assumption. Everything that's happened still fits in with the stuff we're familiar with from DR1, just with a different setup. It's much simpler to just take it at face value - Monobear got here before they did and replaced the statue, then he hid while Usami was doing her thing. The only major unexplained thing is the weather changing but we simply don't have enough information to come up with a decent explanation for it.

The reason this stuff resembles DR1 and makes reference to it is because the game designers are specifically trying to screw with people who played the previous game. These games have a weak fourth wall anyway, you don't need to come up with an elaborate computer simulation theory to explain it. Especially because the fact that this is literally a computer simulation (i.e. a video game) means any evidence that it's a matrix simulation can just as easily be chalked up to "it's a game". That's literally the one theory that unless the game draws specific attention to it cannot be supported just through conjecture.

Speaking of which, I really love the bait and switch reveals this game uses. Spend the entire first act setting up characters you can't help but wonder about, then it pulls out the monobots because it knows you'll be too busy wondering about them to guess what Monobear's doing.

• Locked thread