Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

computer parts posted:

Anyone have recommendations for mice? I need something that's fairly cheap and dependable, and preferably something wired.

Logitech G400 will be the standard answer, and for good reason in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Loving anything by Steelseries. I use the Sensei and it's smooth as hell. The Karma is just as good, and half the price. There is a dedicated thread over in SHSC as well.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 5, 2013

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mega Comrade posted:

This is of course something that the developers don't talk about much as its bad press but behind the scenes they are working hard to suppress sales. First they introduced one use only codes and there have been strong rumours of the next consoles featuring technology that will tie games to those consoles or accounts, stunting the 2nd hand market. Of course there are legal complications with something like this so I doubt it will become reality but I have no doubt they are trying to find ways to implement it in some way.

I have heard this mentioned before in this thread and other places, but nobody explains it beyond "legal complications" or "legal issues" - what is the hangup? I just don't see the difference between something like having a Microsoft account for the Xbox 360 and Steam on PC. The one use game codes already exist on PC, so I don't see why implementing them on a console would be such a hangup (besides that people that play primarily console games wouldn't like it because they can't resell them, but that's something that happened on PC and the world didn't end).

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

americanzero4128 posted:

I have heard this mentioned before in this thread and other places, but nobody explains it beyond "legal complications" or "legal issues" - what is the hangup? I just don't see the difference between something like having a Microsoft account for the Xbox 360 and Steam on PC. The one use game codes already exist on PC, so I don't see why implementing them on a console would be such a hangup (besides that people that play primarily console games wouldn't like it because they can't resell them, but that's something that happened on PC and the world didn't end).

It's been a back and forth legal fight for a while, and it's not entirely settled: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

It's been a back and forth legal fight for a while, and it's not entirely settled: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

I read the Wikipedia article but a lot of it seems to contradict other parts because there isn't one definitive ruling that others follow. I just don't understand what makes a console game able to be resold but not a PC game. Is it because they're installed on PC and not console? I thought that some games on console had to be installed. The media they come on? That can be shot down because even if I buy a physical game (let's say Fallout: New Vegas) it has to be authenticated through Steam, and I don't see the difference between authenticating it to a Steam account and a Microsoft account.

I don't mean to pick at you, but I honestly don't understand what the legal hangup between the differences between PC and console games and ownership/licensing. Couldn't game makers just have a EULA for console games that comes up before the game starts and says this game is tied to your Microsoft account and can't be resold?

Do you know of a website that has this explained in depth? I am interested in the legal differences between the two.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

Mega Comrade posted:

First they introduced one use only codes and there have been strong rumours of the next consoles featuring technology that will tie games to those consoles or accounts, stunting the 2nd hand market.

Here's a slashdot article from yesterday about this very thing:

http://games.slashdot.org/story/13/01/04/0113246/new-sony-patent-blocks-second-hand-games?utm_source=slashdot&utm_medium=twitter

quote:

... the patent application was filed on 9 December 2012 by Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, and will work by linking individual game discs to a user's account without requiring a network connection meaning any future attempt to use this disc on another user's console won't work.

There's a link to the patent application in the article.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I don't check slashdot regularly and Google didn't return anything relevant. I'll give that a read. Thanks for posting it!

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I seem to recall a similar patent application was filed and discussed many months ago. I also seem to recall that the general prevailing opinion in the industry was that there would be too much consumer backlash to even pursue it.

It would also put companies like Gamefly out of business.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Of course if they can and do go ahead with something like this it's likely Sony and Microsoft would come to an agreement. If one of them locked out 2nd hand market and the other one didn't, you can guess what most consumers would go for.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

americanzero4128 posted:

I read the Wikipedia article but a lot of it seems to contradict other parts because there isn't one definitive ruling that others follow. I just don't understand what makes a console game able to be resold but not a PC game. Is it because they're installed on PC and not console? I thought that some games on console had to be installed. The media they come on? That can be shot down because even if I buy a physical game (let's say Fallout: New Vegas) it has to be authenticated through Steam, and I don't see the difference between authenticating it to a Steam account and a Microsoft account.

I don't mean to pick at you, but I honestly don't understand what the legal hangup between the differences between PC and console games and ownership/licensing. Couldn't game makers just have a EULA for console games that comes up before the game starts and says this game is tied to your Microsoft account and can't be resold?

Do you know of a website that has this explained in depth? I am interested in the legal differences between the two.

I don't know legal stuff at all but I would imagine it has something to do with the fact that you don't actually own computer software, you license it, whereas with consoles you don't agree to a EULA for each game the way you do for PC games/software.

Although apparently the EU is trying to change all that I think Steam had to change their EULA in the EU to reflect all that, didn't they?

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Humerus posted:

I don't know legal stuff at all but I would imagine it has something to do with the fact that you don't actually own computer software, you license it, whereas with consoles you don't agree to a EULA for each game the way you do for PC games/software.

Although apparently the EU is trying to change all that I think Steam had to change their EULA in the EU to reflect all that, didn't they?

Right, that is my understanding for the current console generation. That's why I asked, if they put a EULA popup that said you don't own this game, you license it, the license is tied to your Microsoft account. Just consumer backlash? Having it tied to one console is a pretty bad idea, but tying a game key to an account isn't that unreasonable.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Game keys being tied to an account already happens with Xbox Live downloaded games. Though they are linked to the console instead of the account. And it's rather painless, if inconvenient, to transfer those downloaded games over to a new Xbox.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, the same applies to PS3 as well. All digital titles are tied to your account, and you can have your account several devices simultaneously. I see no reason why they couldn't do the same with physical media as well, sure people would complain about it, but they complain about everything and generally stop there.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Alkanos posted:

[*]Piracy is ridiculously easy compared to consoles, unless you add in terrible DRM that alienates your customers. You can always go with Steamworks for this, which most gamers don't mind, but then you're relying on a competing publisher.

Wasn't there a study in 2009-2010 that revealed that consoles combined had more piracy overall than the PC did? I seem to remember that happening but I can't for the life of me find it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

dog nougat posted:

Yeah, the same applies to PS3 as well. All digital titles are tied to your account, and you can have your account several devices simultaneously. I see no reason why they couldn't do the same with physical media as well, sure people would complain about it, but they complain about everything and generally stop there.

I think GameStop and Gamefly (among others possibly) would file lawsuits since it kind of poses a severe threat to their business models.

Whether they would win or not is debatable. But if they do there could be a steep pricetag attached.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????

computer parts posted:

Anyone have recommendations for mice? I need something that's fairly cheap and dependable, and preferably something wired.
For a cheap mouse the G300, is a new design that I'm happy with. It's maybe the first piece of ~gamer gear~ I've found where the LEDs actually serve a purpose, I have different profiles set to different colors so I can keep a consistent mouse sensitivity or easily change button commands (E. the LEDs can also be disabled altogether)

The g700 might be worth looking at too, it has a detachable cable and does both wired and wireless

What I'm trying to say is, gently caress the G400 as a default recommendation. The MX518 was good 8 years ago but the G400 is maybe the third or fourth iteration of cost cutting measures, (the original MX518 had 5-piece mouse feet, a thicker cord, and much better overall build quality) that's lead to it become steadily worse over the years. Meanwhile, new mice designs in the same price range are instantly written off because they don't have that safe, familiar shape of the microsoft intellimouse or whatever it was that the Mx518 originally aped. If you subscribe to the cult of the mx518 and have no desire to ever use another mouse, seriously consider taking a chance on something new - you might just like what you try

Stink Fuck Rob fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 6, 2013

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

macnbc posted:

I think GameStop and Gamefly (among others possibly) would file lawsuits since it kind of poses a severe threat to their business models.

Whether they would win or not is debatable. But if they do there could be a steep pricetag attached.

I suppose they could, but it seems like a baseless lawsuit. They're not entitled to stay in business. I'm sure Gamestop does plenty of new game sales beyond used sales. Gamefly would pretty much be hosed but that's the cost of doing business. It's not as if there's a dearth of places to get a physical copy of a game at any rate.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

macnbc posted:

One business is not obligated to protect another.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

dog nougat posted:

I suppose they could, but it seems like a baseless lawsuit. They're not entitled to stay in business. I'm sure Gamestop does plenty of new game sales beyond used sales. Gamefly would pretty much be hosed but that's the cost of doing business. It's not as if there's a dearth of places to get a physical copy of a game at any rate.

They could argue that it's an anti-competitive business practice. And they could argue a violation of first sale doctrine.

First sale doctrine is upheld by legal precedent in the US, and while its applicability to digital goods has yet to be determined, physical game copies are a different matter.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Interesting. It seems like it could really come out either way after a long boring semantic battle. In the end this probably will little to no effect on me considering I'm done with console games. Cheaper and more accessible/instantly available games on the PC won me over.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

the original MX518 had 5-piece mouse feet

This is, in my opinion, the biggest improvement over the old MX518. It's the reason why I replaced my MX518 with a G400 in fact.
The 5 tiny feet were completely busted after years of use, and it's easy to see why that would happen, given their small surface (which means less surface that is attached to the mouse).
The G400, meanwhile, has two huge pads that I don't see coming off / wearing out anytime soon, and one smaller pad on the side that I can possibly see causing problems a few years down the line, but it's still about twice as big as the MX518's original feet so I might last a tad longer.

As for the rest being inferior build quality, I don't see how you would conclude that. The surface / coating seems a lot better than the MX518's in terms of not getting sticky / dirty, and the rest seems to be / work pretty much exactly like the MX518.

Yes, the cord is thinner than on the MX518. That hasn't bothered me at all yet although it might become loose / broken easier than the MX518's, in a couple of years. That's about the only thing that might be step backwards, although it hasn't caused me any trouble or discomfort so far.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ha, that Sony patent filing has caused Gamestop shares to fall.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."

Philthy posted:

Loving anything by Steelseries. I use the Sensei and it's smooth as hell. The Karma is just as good, and half the price. There is a dedicated thread over in SHSC as well.

Bit late but i agree with this. Really impressed by my Sensei.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

macnbc posted:

They could argue that it's an anti-competitive business practice.

Gamestop and Gamefly are not in the business of making and selling consoles. Sony and MS are not in the business of selling used games. There is zero 'competition' between the two types of companies.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

Gamestop and Gamefly are not in the business of making and selling consoles. Sony and MS are not in the business of selling used games. There is zero 'competition' between the two types of companies.

I don't think Sony and Microsoft see it that way. They take a cut (about 11%) of every new game sold but see nothing from used games.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

I don't think Sony and Microsoft see it that way. They take a cut (about 11%) of every new game sold but see nothing from used games.

Which is why publishers are figuring out how to stop used game sales with technology instead of suing Gamestop for "threatening their business model".

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I have a GTX560TI and I am 100% satisfied with it's performance.
I am however extremely annoyed at the sound levels it produces, I had an 8800GT before and I never even heard that thing.
I can deal with my fan speed at around 50-60% GPU load, but above that it overpowers both my speakers and headset and it ruins my gaming experience.
I have had it for over 1.5 year now and I thought I could get used to it. Nowadays I am actually tuning down ingame settings to keep it quieter, but that doesn't always help.

Anything I can do, some kind of very silent new fan setup I can buy and use? Watercooling isn't an option
(poor student, only bought this system cause my last one broke)

This is my afterburner profile, under full load my card hits around 65-70degrees:

I can take it to the hardware subforum but I reckon I'd ask here first.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Have you played with the fan speeds? Maybe lower them a bit at those temps to see if the lower speed isn't good enough to keep it cool or not quiet enough. Or, have you cleaned your fan by taking it apart, removing dust, and then putting it back together?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Zedd posted:

I am however extremely annoyed at the sound levels it produces, I had an 8800GT before and I never even heard that thing.
I can deal with my fan speed at around 50-60% GPU load, but above that it overpowers both my speakers and headset and it ruins my gaming experience.
I have had it for over 1.5 year now and I thought I could get used to it. Nowadays I am actually tuning down ingame settings to keep it quieter, but that doesn't always help.

Anything I can do, some kind of very silent new fan setup I can buy and use? Watercooling isn't an option

This is my afterburner profile, under full load my card hits around 65-70degrees:

It's just loud. I've got a 570HD which supposedly has the same fan, and yeah it's just plain noisy. What kind of headset are you using where the fan is louder than speakers like an inch from your ears? Aftermarket GPU coolers can be had, from what I understand they're a bit of a hassle to install. If you go look in the GPU thread over in Serious hardware/software they were taking about them just recently.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 6, 2013

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Francostein posted:

Have you played with the fan speeds? Maybe lower them a bit at those temps to see if the lower speed isn't good enough to keep it cool or not quiet enough. Or, have you cleaned your fan by taking it apart, removing dust, and then putting it back together?
I'm too afraid to do that due to my previous PC frying itself (Turned out to be a defective motherboard that I had to send RMA 3 times but still); but it was always loud even when brand new.

dog nougat posted:

It's just loud. I've got a 570HD which supposedly has the same fan, and yeah it's just plain noisy. What kind of headset are you using where the fan is louder than speakers like an inch from your ears? Aftermarket GPU coolers can be had, from what I understand they're a bit of a hassle to install. If you go look in the GPU thread over in Serious hardware/software they were taking about them just recently.
I hear the humming of the fan over my headset, I "know" that means it is blasting like a windtunnel. I know it is spergy but knowing it is blasting also annoys me outside of hearing it.
I have a sennheiser one, 3 year old model with overhead clamp and big over-ear cuffs. one of those classic/oldschool style ones.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 6, 2013

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Another 560TI leaf-blower owner checking in. It's just loud mate, sorry.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zedd posted:

Clean out the GPU fan and make the cooling in the rest of the case better. Lowering the fan speeds isn't a good idea if you're hitting 70C under full load. You can also get a better-designed case or sound dampening materials, since fans tend to make a lot more noise when they're enclosed in a thin aluminum box: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7846/noi-19/AcoustiPack_ULTIMATE_Professional_Sound_Dampening_Pack_APU.html?tl=g7&id=z5SFuDMM

The cards just come with loud fans. I got a new GTX 660 Ti and it comes with a "Twin Frozr" fan setup that is much, much quieter than my old GTX 460.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 6, 2013

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Mine tends to run at 75-82C at full load and it doesn't help that I have a case with unnecessary fans and no way to cover them up. That said, it's not extremely loud unless I've got the sound turned down or off.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
I don't think GPU temps in the 70-80°C ranges (during full load) are problematic in itself.
I've had tons of cards go as high as 90°C (and even higher) for extended periods of time during load and they've all lasted me years, with the exception of an 8800GT (I think) that fried up like 2 months after the warranty expired, but I heard that line of cards was notorious to die anyway.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Quiet case cooling is one the few areas I still think it's okay to overspend on parts. Get a very quiet case, the quietest fans you can afford, a video-card with a non-stock, quieter cooling solution (or a 3rd party HSF combo, if you're feeling adventurous), and a 3rd party CPU HSF, and you'll be golden. At this point on my machine, with CPU and GPU running full bore, the noise is just audible, and at idle is virtually silent.

Ugh, I remember the bad old days when a "quiet" gaming computer meant it was annoyingly loud at idle, and annoying as poo poo under load.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My Phenom II X4 965 came with a ridiculously tiny fan that spun at 7000 RPM and I'm glad AMD is suffering just for subjecting me to incredibly loud, high frequency noise until I ordered an aftermarket cooler.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

My idle temps are virtually silent so that is nice.
My old PC was louder in idle but didn't get any louder; this one is silent as can be but gets very loud fast.
If that makes sense.

Ill look into it some more, thanks for the help.
In worst case ill suck it up; I'm an intern and graduating end of this year so that means more money one way or another.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Zedd posted:

My idle temps are virtually silent so that is nice.
My old PC was louder in idle but didn't get any louder; this one is silent as can be but gets very loud fast.
If that makes sense.

Ill look into it some more, thanks for the help.
In worst case ill suck it up; I'm an intern and graduating end of this year so that means more money one way or another.

That's more or less the case with my setup. There'll always a tradeoff in performance vs silence without investing a lot of money. The trend towards silent cases and quieter setups does make it easier and cheaper to have a good gaming setup that's not too loud.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

As long as full load is under 80c you have nothing to worry about. Lower your fan speeds.

edit

My G500 has thrown up a faulty right button. It depresses and represses the switch when I hold it sometimes (you can imagine how annoying this is when gaming) After looking it up and seeing this is a fairly common fault, I'm gonna retract my previous positive statement about it.

Now this of course doesn't apply to Logitechs other mice, I've had several in the past and never had any problems but it does appear the G500 has issues with the button switches failing after only as few months. I've lost the receipt as well sadly so that lovely 3 year guarantee isn't going to benefit me :(

Think I'll splurg on a G9X, I fancy something smaller to go with the fingertip grip I use.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Speaking of fan noise, I remember how The Witcher (the first one) would instantly cause my video card fans to go full throttle the second I started it up, no matter the temperature. This happened across 3 different video cards, each more powerful than the last one, and regardless of detail levels set in the game. I've never seen a game do that before or after.

As if the loading times weren't bad enough (pre-patch), the fan noise made playing the game for long stretches unbearable.

• Locked thread