Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Yeah, I'll be trying that when my kids old enough. Also, I'll tell her what my Nan taught me. Hit a man in the balls and give women nipple cripples if you need to get away fast.

My nan was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I always taught my kids that a stranger is just a person you don't know. Most of them are nice, ordinary people, but because you don't know them it's best to be cautious around them when you're not with a parent or other trusted adult. Talking to strangers is OK as long as they're with us. I've also taught my kids that when they're lost (like in a store or park) they should first try to find a person of authority (police, security, store employee) but if they can't the next best option is another mom with kids.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006
Hello,

the MIL + sweets issue solved itself since I managed to obtain that meal comes first (dessert included), then cookies. I think a couple of times I was breastfeeding the baby and she (or my husband) gave my kid cookies on a empty stomach.

But: MIL's herpes labialis blossomed! And she is a pig! She touches her mouth all the time and then touches other people's food (especially the kid's). She said she's paying attention to what she does, but hey if you are a person who cannot resist touching a thing not even when you just have to point at it (like your teeth)... For her, being clean means using lots of products that smell (thus, I am dirty). For me, it means use water and mild soap and don't touch stuff. Is getting herpes even safe for a 5 months old baby or does it lead to brain damage and death like for newborns? I had to be tested during my pregnancy because she was around, and a pig, and I never had it nor got it. Faces are gross. I never touched faces.

I was planning on starting solids next week (I know it's a bit early, but I am 10lbs less than my pre-pregnancy weight because of the breastfeeding and baby steals from my plate), but since she will sure touch baby's food, I'll stick with the boob, where she just stares.

Another question: how anal are you about your kids using a fork? Mine is 2 years old, and can use a fork but sometimes prefers his hands. When he does, I just ask him if he wouldn't prefer a fork. My MIL even yells at him when he eats rice with his hands (and of course tell her to stop it and ask my kid to eat with his feet instead but he does not comply) and tries to correct him if he uses his fork with his left hand (the hand of the devil? She's atheist). I know I am lax. Is this the norm today?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

randomfuss posted:

Another question: how anal are you about your kids using a fork? Mine is 2 years old, and can use a fork but sometimes prefers his hands. When he does, I just ask him if he wouldn't prefer a fork. My MIL even yells at him when he eats rice with his hands (and of course tell her to stop it and ask my kid to eat with his feet instead but he does not comply) and tries to correct him if he uses his fork with his left hand (the hand of the devil? She's atheist). I know I am lax. Is this the norm today?

I don't care if he uses utensils or not, as long as he puts the food into his mouth and doesn't play around too much with it (I ignore some playing with food, but if he goes crazy with it, I remove the food).

edit: my kid is 2 years 5 months.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Ugh, I can't abide people who try force kids to stop using the hand they're comfortable with. My mum was left-handed and so, despite being right-handed, I have always used cutlery the 'wrong' way. At school a few of the dinner ladies used to make me switch sides and it made the whole thing embarrassing and awkward :( I'm sorry to hear that you're having to deal with all this, it can't be nice. I would say that at age 2, it is certainly acceptable for a child not to use cutlery all the time. Forcing the issue seems a bit pointless.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

This is great, and I think it's pretty spot-on. Another one in the same vein is "Free-Range Kids." Much of it is about not being a helicopter parent, but there's a lot of talk about the actual stats and what makes an actual street smart kid.

ETA: All of the assaults, abductions etc. that I know of personally through friends, were pretty much always via someone that was trusted. The only two ones I personally know of involving strangers were flashing incidents (which are kind of "drive-bys" so to speak), and even one of those was a neighbour.

ChloroformSeduction fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 5, 2013

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Konomex posted:

I can't work out if you're joking or being serious. Things are just as safe as they were in those days. Actually, they're probably safer in some regards. The only reason they don't seem as safe is because the media and the internet make any child abductions so much more known about. If your child is going to get abducted, it's more likely to be someone they know.

Just keep an eye on them and teach them how to be safe, children should feel safe to play in their neighbourhoods.

Not joking at all, but I do see your point. There was an article that brought up the same point-- that the media has played a role in how parents perceive abductions, but it could also be a positive thing because people are more aware and pass that awareness on to their kids.

I actually didn't know "Stranger Danger" was a thing. I just used the term loosely, meaning to teach your kids common sense. If they don't know that person, get Mom or Dad (or a trusted adult) before approaching or letting them approach. Hopefully I make a little more sense now. Posting from a phone sucks; I can never convey my thoughts in few words.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

foxatee posted:

Not joking at all, but I do see your point. There was an article that brought up the same point-- that the media has played a role in how parents perceive abductions, but it could also be a positive thing because people are more aware and pass that awareness on to their kids.

I actually didn't know "Stranger Danger" was a thing. I just used the term loosely, meaning to teach your kids common sense. If they don't know that person, get Mom or Dad (or a trusted adult) before approaching or letting them approach. Hopefully I make a little more sense now. Posting from a phone sucks; I can never convey my thoughts in few words.

Teaching a kid to avoid stranger abductions is all well and good, but more importantly they need to know how to draw and hold appropriate personal boundaries with ALL adults and kids. Stranger abductions are incredibly rare and gets mega-media attention. Sexual abuse by a family member or family friend is sadly, not particularly rare, and is far more likely to actually happen. It's like talking about not getting hit by trains, while glossing over the far more likely danger of being in a car accident.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I have a question about car seats. My son is 22 lbs + and very tall for his age (10.5 months) and he's starting to get too long for his infant car seat which is good up to 30 lbs. It's the Chicco Cortina system. I'd like to get him a new one but they are all forward facing and everything I read says they should be rear facing until age 2. Can I get away with a front facing or am I going to have to buy an in-betweener car seat in the meantime? I'd rather not since I'd have to buy two, one for each car, but I'm not sure how safe a big car seat would be.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Gravitee posted:

I have a question about car seats. My son is 22 lbs + and very tall for his age (10.5 months) and he's starting to get too long for his infant car seat which is good up to 30 lbs. It's the Chicco Cortina system. I'd like to get him a new one but they are all forward facing and everything I read says they should be rear facing until age 2. Can I get away with a front facing or am I going to have to buy an in-betweener car seat in the meantime? I'd rather not since I'd have to buy two, one for each car, but I'm not sure how safe a big car seat would be.

There are a ton of 'convertible' car seats that work both forward and backward facing. My daughter's is good up to 100 lbs and we've used it since she was 6 months old. You really want to keep him facing backwards as long as possible.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
You'll want a convertible carseat for sure. Basically, facing backwards is safer for EVERYONE, but cars just aren't built that way. It's smart to try and rearface as long as you can, especially when they're so young. I know somone on here will have saved a link to the video of what happens to a crashtest dummy forward-facing and rearfacing.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
We got a convertible after mine outgrew the infant carrier. I have 2 actually, the FirstYears Truefit (which is a total pain in the rear end to install and I would not recommend it to anyone) and the Britax Boulevard. The Truefit rear-faces to 35lbs and the Boulevard rear-faces to 40. Both go up to 65 or 70lbs forward facing IIRC. My kid is 26 months and he only weighs 27 pounds, so we're rear-facing still. He's also a short kid, so height isn't an issue for us. I would suggest you go to a store where you can try it out in your car before you buy. We were going to get the diono radian, but it just didn't fit in our car (toyota camry hybrid) very well. When we put it in rear-facing behind the passenger seat, my knees were all crammed up into the dashboard and I'm only 5'3".

This page will give you the rundown on the different style carseats and give some recommendations too. http://www.car-safety.org/basics.html

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Chickalicious posted:

I would suggest you go to a store where you can try it out in your car before you buy. We were going to get the diono radian, but it just didn't fit in our car (toyota camry hybrid) very well. When we put it in rear-facing behind the passenger seat, my knees were all crammed up into the dashboard and I'm only 5'3".

Yeah. We have a Britax Chaperone and it barely fits in my husbands Jeep Patriot and in my Kia. We actually can't have anyone sitting in the front passenger seat. If we go somewhere together with the baby someone has to sit in the back with him.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
I want to also mention that you say your baby is getting too tall. This very well may be - but I want to make sure you aren't judging that based on his legs being folded or touching the backseat. When he's rearfacing, that is completely fine. He's too tall for the rearfacing seat when the top of his head is an inch away from the top of the carseat shell.

http://www.thecarseatlady.com/car_seats/rear-facing_seats_6.html

My daughter is 2 and is still rearfacing in a Britax Boulevard. My sons were both rearfacing until a bit longer than age 3.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son has managed to have a fantastic first week back to school. Did all his work, was nice to the other kids, had very few meltdowns. And this is in an entirely new class he transferred into on the first day back, in an entirely different school.

We'll see how he does as school continues, but this is pretty much a complete 180 so far, from how he was in the previous program.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.
Tell me fellow goon parents if I should be concerned...

A few days before Christmas E popped a capillary in his right eye. He didn't hit his head or suffer any trauma and he wasn't making any of his grunting/poop noises. He was sitting on the floor playing and when I went to pick him up I noticed "holy crap, the white of your eye is bloody". Google tells me this is not uncommon so I didn't worry about it. It cleared up over the course of about a week.

Yesterday morning I come downstairs (Mr. Clarice was watching E) and go to pick up E and notice he has some red spots (broken capillaries) along his hairline and three under his eye on the right side of his head, I ask Mr. Clarice about this and he said, no E hasn't fallen or anything. They have already cleared up.

Both of these events in and of themselves are minor and don't worry me, but the fact that they happened in close temporal proximity and on the same side of his head do worry me. We have his one year appointment coming up on the 23rd, and I plan on asking the doctor about it, but part of me wonders if it is okay to wait that long.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
In my state/country you're supposed to have them rear facing for the first six months and then in a child safety seat with a five point harness until they're seven. My daughters almost 5 months and she's almost topped the height for her seat which will then need to be swapped to forward facing.

Should I be concerned and splash out for a bigger rear facing seat? I'm not sure how easy they'll be to get in my country. On the other hand I'm a pretty safe/defensive driver so I'm not likely to get into any accidents.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I would definitely get a rear facing seat for a child that young. Being a careful driver means nothing if someone else hits you.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

randomfuss posted:

Hello,

the MIL + sweets issue solved itself since I managed to obtain that meal comes first (dessert included), then cookies. I think a couple of times I was breastfeeding the baby and she (or my husband) gave my kid cookies on a empty stomach.

But: MIL's herpes labialis blossomed! And she is a pig! She touches her mouth all the time and then touches other people's food (especially the kid's). She said she's paying attention to what she does, but hey if you are a person who cannot resist touching a thing not even when you just have to point at it (like your teeth)... For her, being clean means using lots of products that smell (thus, I am dirty). For me, it means use water and mild soap and don't touch stuff. Is getting herpes even safe for a 5 months old baby or does it lead to brain damage and death like for newborns? I had to be tested during my pregnancy because she was around, and a pig, and I never had it nor got it. Faces are gross. I never touched faces.

I was planning on starting solids next week (I know it's a bit early, but I am 10lbs less than my pre-pregnancy weight because of the breastfeeding and baby steals from my plate), but since she will sure touch baby's food, I'll stick with the boob, where she just stares.

:psyduck:

What? Wouldn't that be better for when the kid grows up and starts using grown up cutlery as the fork would be in your left hand and the knife in your right? Or have I been doing this wrong for 34 years and no one had the heart to tell me?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Mr Darcy posted:

:psyduck:

What? Wouldn't that be better for when the kid grows up and starts using grown up cutlery as the fork would be in your left hand and the knife in your right? Or have I been doing this wrong for 34 years and no one had the heart to tell me?

Isn't it different in different countries? Maybe it's just one of those things you hear but isn't actually true but I've heard people in the US held their forks in the right hand and knife in the left, and switched hands to cut stuff up.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Konomex posted:

In my state/country you're supposed to have them rear facing for the first six months and then in a child safety seat with a five point harness until they're seven. My daughters almost 5 months and she's almost topped the height for her seat which will then need to be swapped to forward facing.

Should I be concerned and splash out for a bigger rear facing seat? I'm not sure how easy they'll be to get in my country. On the other hand I'm a pretty safe/defensive driver so I'm not likely to get into any accidents.

I'm not sure where you live, but I'd really encourage you to get a convertible car seat. They let you rearface until 40 lbs (depending on the seat) and then you can turn them around if you have to and don't have access to bigger rearfacing seats.

edit: Here's that video that compares the two. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8mFsXNXOLw

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 6, 2013

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

rectal cushion posted:

I would definitely get a rear facing seat for a child that young. Being a careful driver means nothing if someone else hits you.

If someone rear ends me the baby will be propelled backwards, which means that a forward facing seat would be preferable in that sort of situation. Unless someone swerves into my lane and hits me front on.

Ben Davis posted:

I'm not sure where you live, but I'd really encourage you to get a convertible car seat. They let you rearface until 40 lbs (depending on the seat) and then you can turn them around if you have to and don't have access to bigger rearfacing seats.

edit: Here's that video that compares the two. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8mFsXNXOLw

I've got a convertible seat, but my child is very very long and quickly approaching the point at which the seat manufacturers say to turn it around. She'll run out of leg space essentially. I'll take a look around for different models.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Konomex posted:

If someone rear ends me the baby will be propelled backwards, which means that a forward facing seat would be preferable in that sort of situation. Unless someone swerves into my lane and hits me front on.

I've got a convertible seat, but my child is very very long and quickly approaching the point at which the seat manufacturers say to turn it around. She'll run out of leg space essentially. I'll take a look around for different models.

quote:

Statistics. According to Crashtest.Com, frontal and frontal offset crashes combine for about 72% of severe crashes. Side impacts are about 24%. Rear and rear offset crashes only account for about 4%. The NHTSA FARS database shows similar numbers. The odds of being in a frontal crash with a fatality or very serious injury are many times greater than being in a severe rear-end crash. Rear-enders are more common at lower speeds, though most injuries in these crashes are not as severe - typically, whiplash injuries to adults, especially passengers lacking proper head restraint.

http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

And leg room is not an indicator of whether your child has outgrown a seat. It's based on where his head is and what the recommendations are from the seat manufacturer.

Crane
Jun 10, 2004

:chord:
I'm dating a mother of 4 (2 boys 12&4 2 girls 7&10)
I love her and I want to marry her. The fact she has kids isn't a big deal, but they're really hard to handle. She's been a single mom for a few years and before that in her marriage she was basically a single mom then too. My mom mentioned that single parent guilt may make her overcompensate and spoil/not discipline her kids. She's admitted that she is all bark and no bite.

The kids are good when they're good, but they never clean up until a "mean" "aunt" comes over and makes them clean up after themselves or they have to stand with their nose against the wall. So I know they can clean up and obey a non blood relative.
I envy her wrangling skills and will try to learn from her, but I want as much info as I can since I've never raised a kid. I get along great with cousins and kids but that's because I can wash my hands of them when they start behaving badly.

They're alright kids, but the whining and the fact they never pick up after themselves making their mom do it all is a problem. I want to help without overstepping my bounds, I'm very aware that I'm not their dad.
These also whine if you don't buy them things they think they are entitled to, and are extremely picky eaters. Sometimes the mom will make 3 distinct meals to accommodate them (Personally I would say 'Eat this or go hungry' but she's their mom)

So far it's been just treating them like I would treat an adult. I'm polite to them, and won't do things unless they at least say Please. I don't condescend or patronize them, and I say please and thank you to everyone anyways and I see it rubbing off on them.
I won't buy them things on impulse, they'll repeat their request as long as they have breath in their lungs until their mom caves in, but they won't even bother asking their Uncle John because he always says no. I can resist their whining, but they redirect it to their mom then. I wish there was a way for them to stop or reduce it. I've heard "No honey, I can't afford that" 'THEN ASK MIKE TO PAY!'

If they keep repeating my name to get my attention while I'm talking to someone else I'll say "Okay I heard you, just a minute" to prevent them repeating my name every 1.5 seconds louder and louder if I ignore them and keep talking. I figured they were just repeating to get an acknowledgement and I don't know if I'm doing the right thing or if I should just keep ignoring them.

I don't know how to keep them from whining about buying stuff all the time though. I was thinking of saying ahead of time "We're just looking, we're not buying anything. You can point out cool stuff to me, but if you ask to get it I'll just wave this business card I wrote 'NO' on." Maybe I'll print off a second card and give it to their mom, as they usually turn to her then.
One specific complaint was "I don't want to take a walk in that city, you won't let us buy anything" which will set them up to be miserable and paves the way for complaints about headaches, cold legs, sore feet the second they leave the car until they get what they want which is to be back in the car heading home.
Hearing "Ma maaaa my legs are freezing MA MAA legs are freezing mamaaaa mamaa" repeated with every breath gets annoying after awhile.

I'll have to work on a system of money so they can earn a small amount for chores or something and spend that money on stuff they want. I want a way to motivate them to do their chores and clean up after themselves. Maybe I'll whip up a spread sheet or something so they think it's like an online bank, with a pie chart progress bar showing how close they are to saving up for X item.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Isn't it different in different countries? Maybe it's just one of those things you hear but isn't actually true but I've heard people in the US held their forks in the right hand and knife in the left, and switched hands to cut stuff up.

I do this (in the US, right handed.) Who doesn't do this? Is that a weird way to eat? :psyduck:

Crane
I feel that your hands are tied, unless Mom is ready to get on board with doing A New Approach together with you. They act like brats because the precedent has been set for their entire lives that it's okay to act like that, and that sort of behavior gets them what they want. If you try to do any sort of discipline unilaterally, you will be the Mean Stepdad, and it has a 110% chance of abysmal failure. Kids, especially the tweens, are ninja masters at playing one parent off the other, and manipulating any distance between their parental figures regarding rules and discipline.

I am in no way judging your girlfriend; being a single mother to a brood of 4 has got to be brutally tough. I think your mom probably hit the nail right on the head (and it's more than understandable for your girlfriend to feel/react that way). But she doesn't discipline them, or enforce any rules. She is indulgent (making meals cooked to order?!), and the kids will only get worse and worse because of it. Unless she is ready to be on board and do the hard stuff (and it will be hard since the kids are used to getting whatever they want), it is how it is. The cruel irony is that by not disciplining your kids out of guilt, and indulging them instead, you do them a great disservice. Kids don't need you to be their friend, their cool aunt, their spoiling babysitter; they need you to be their parent.

Question, does your girlfriend have a problem with their behavior, or see anything wrong with how things are? Has she just become resigned to servant/doormat status with her kids, but doesn't like it, or does she have some sort of "kids being kids" reasoning? Because if she doesn't like it, but just feels run down and resigned, you two have a chance and you can help her find the strength and desire to change. But if she isn't willing or able to change, there's really nothing you can do about it. You can tell them no all day long, but it doesn't matter if she just tells them yes.

PS, Yes. You are doing the right thing if the kids are bugging you when you're talking to someone else. One time of "I hear you; I will talk to you when I am finished." After several instances of this, I would progress to "Should you be interrupting me, or waiting until I'm done speaking?". Then I would move on to ignoring them. The older ones especially shouldn't do the Stewies anymore. (From Family Guy. "Mom, mom, mommy, mom, mom, Lois, mom, MOM, MOM...)

AlistairCookie fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 6, 2013

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

I do this (in the US, right handed.) Who doesn't do this? Is that a weird way to eat? :psyduck:

In the UK the most common way is fork in the left hand, knife in the right and thats where they stay the whole meal. I don't think it matters at all, people should eat how they're most comfortable, just different countries have different etiquette on these things. And I didn't mean to make it sound like it was a weird thing to do - just I've never been to the US so wanted to qualify it in case it was a load of crap.

Crane posted:

I'm dating a mother of 4 (2 boys 12&4 2 girls 7&10)

It is a difficult thing to balance, but one thing I would say is to make sure she is on the same page as you with disciplinary issues. I was a single mum for a long time, and when my now husband and I became serious enough for him to be an active member of the household there were a few issues that he would take a harder line than me on and I would be stuck having to back up the other adult so that the kids would understand they needed to listen to him. It wasn't anything hugely serious or anything (stuff about finishing dinner) but I felt that the way I had parented for the past 10 years was being overridden by someone with very little experience and it caused some resentment until we ironed it out.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I hear this all the time, but I'm American and no one I know switches hands all the time when they eat. Everyone I know just holds the fork in the left and the knife in the right.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Chickalicious posted:

http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

And leg room is not an indicator of whether your child has outgrown a seat. It's based on where his head is and what the recommendations are from the seat manufacturer.

What I meant to say was that the only way her head would stay below the indicator line is if her legs stuck out the end of the seat, which won't happen because the actual car seat is in the way. She's almost to the point the seat manufacturers say she needs to be turned around.

Most severe crashes are frontal crashes, the cause of those crashes is most often the drivers fault. So if I am being a safe driver then I am unlikely to get into an accident - no accidents in the last 10 years (bar one dude rear ending me in a driveway turn off). Unless someone swerves into the front of my car, or changes lanes and throws on the brakes immediately, I am unlikely to get into an accident.

But yes, rear facing looks a lot safer. I'm just not sure it'll be easy to get the appropriate seat for my country or my car. It's pretty cramped back there with the current rear facing seat.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

It's fine for their legs to stick out. Here are some photos of how that works: http://thestir.cafemom.com/toddler/120133/Proof_That_Older_Taller_Kids

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum.aspx

Also, your driving record isn't going to prevent other people around you from being idiots.

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 7, 2013

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Konomex posted:

What I meant to say was that the only way her head would stay below the indicator line is if her legs stuck out the end of the seat, which won't happen because the actual car seat is in the way. She's almost to the point the seat manufacturers say she needs to be turned around.

Most severe crashes are frontal crashes, the cause of those crashes is most often the drivers fault. So if I am being a safe driver then I am unlikely to get into an accident - no accidents in the last 10 years (bar one dude rear ending me in a driveway turn off). Unless someone swerves into the front of my car, or changes lanes and throws on the brakes immediately, I am unlikely to get into an accident.

But yes, rear facing looks a lot safer. I'm just not sure it'll be easy to get the appropriate seat for my country or my car. It's pretty cramped back there with the current rear facing seat.

Here is some information on car seats in Australia. It appears that a convertible seat that does rear facing to at least a year is not so hard to find. Just so you know, my son has a Britax, which apparently is sold as Safe-n-Sound in Australia, and it takes up less space rear facing than his infant capsule did. Also, bend the baby's legs so they don't stick out and hit the actual seatback.
http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/123214-car-seats-australia-what-you-need-know.html

Also, I think that to say most car crashes are frontal and those are most often the driver's fault and since you are a safe driver, it's ok is really willful ignorance. I'm an EMT - do you know how many "safe" drivers I've pulled from vehicles? Here's a clue: an awful lot. Cars crossing over from oncoming traffic into your lane when there's nothing you can do about it: frontal crash. Mechanical failure of the vehicle: frontal crash. Get rear-ended and pushed into another vehicle/tree/wall/road barrier: your rear end crash just became a frontal crash. Dog or small child runs into road, causing you to swerve into the guardrail: frontal crash. People swerve in front of other cars, change lanes without looking, and slam on their brakes all the time.

Just because you haven't had it happen to you doesn't mean it can't. Buy the car seat and then in 5 years, go ahead and laugh at how we were silly and overprotective because you didn't get into an accident. Hindsight really is 20/20, but I'd rather have hindsight tell me that I made a good choice in spending some extra money to ensure my child would have been safe in case of an incident that never occurred than to have it tell me that I should have spent it and didn't and as a result my child was harmed.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Fionnoula posted:

I hear this all the time, but I'm American and no one I know switches hands all the time when they eat. Everyone I know just holds the fork in the left and the knife in the right.

I'm American and I switch. I guess I'll have to surreptitiously watch my husband to see how he does it.

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

A SPECIAL UNICORN fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 15, 2019

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Fionnoula posted:

Here is some information on car seats in Australia. It appears that a convertible seat that does rear facing to at least a year is not so hard to find. Just so you know, my son has a Britax, which apparently is sold as Safe-n-Sound in Australia, and it takes up less space rear facing than his infant capsule did. Also, bend the baby's legs so they don't stick out and hit the actual seatback.
http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/123214-car-seats-australia-what-you-need-know.html

Also, I think that to say most car crashes are frontal and those are most often the driver's fault and since you are a safe driver, it's ok is really willful ignorance. I'm an EMT - do you know how many "safe" drivers I've pulled from vehicles? Here's a clue: an awful lot. Cars crossing over from oncoming traffic into your lane when there's nothing you can do about it: frontal crash. Mechanical failure of the vehicle: frontal crash. Get rear-ended and pushed into another vehicle/tree/wall/road barrier: your rear end crash just became a frontal crash. Dog or small child runs into road, causing you to swerve into the guardrail: frontal crash. People swerve in front of other cars, change lanes without looking, and slam on their brakes all the time.

Just because you haven't had it happen to you doesn't mean it can't. Buy the car seat and then in 5 years, go ahead and laugh at how we were silly and overprotective because you didn't get into an accident. Hindsight really is 20/20, but I'd rather have hindsight tell me that I made a good choice in spending some extra money to ensure my child would have been safe in case of an incident that never occurred than to have it tell me that I should have spent it and didn't and as a result my child was harmed.

Yeah, I used to train EMT's. But I am actually a safe driver. A proper one. Taking a ton of defensive driver training and other things. I'll just stick her legs up in the air. I've got a Britax.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Connor had a horrible cold over Christmas, high fever and very listless. It seems to have cleared up in that his energy levels are back up and the fever has gone but he will not stop crying. He has cried pretty much constantly for the last four days and nothing I do will make him stop. He doesn't seem to be in pain, he doesn't want to go for a nap, he doesn't want to eat, he doesn't want a drink, he doesn't want cuddles, he doesn't want books, all he wants is to scream and scream and scream. I have taken him to the doctors who said he was fine, just getting over the bug, but I don't know how much longer I can cope with this without jumping out the window and running away. It's a bit like how he cries when I tell him not to do something horrible or someone takes something off him - pure temper.

He's also still not eating very well but literally the only thing he wants to eat at the moment is the filling of custard creams. He's drinking okay and plenty of wet nappies.

Has anyone else had this kind of reaction after an illness? He's nearly two years old.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Connor had a horrible cold over Christmas, high fever and very listless. It seems to have cleared up in that his energy levels are back up and the fever has gone but he will not stop crying. He has cried pretty much constantly for the last four days and nothing I do will make him stop. He doesn't seem to be in pain, he doesn't want to go for a nap, he doesn't want to eat, he doesn't want a drink, he doesn't want cuddles, he doesn't want books, all he wants is to scream and scream and scream. I have taken him to the doctors who said he was fine, just getting over the bug, but I don't know how much longer I can cope with this without jumping out the window and running away. It's a bit like how he cries when I tell him not to do something horrible or someone takes something off him - pure temper.

He's also still not eating very well but literally the only thing he wants to eat at the moment is the filling of custard creams. He's drinking okay and plenty of wet nappies.

Has anyone else had this kind of reaction after an illness? He's nearly two years old.

Could he have an ear infection? Whenever my daughter is sick, afterwards she almost always has an ear infection. This also means her throat bothers her. Some kids (mine especially, argh) are pretty tollerant to pain and hard to read. I would take him to the ped again just to be sure. Sometimes ear infections can creep up on them a day or two after the initial sickness especially if there was any drainage.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 7, 2013

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

bamzilla posted:

Could he have an ear infection? Whenever my daughter is sick, afterwards she almost always has an ear infection. This also means her throat bothers her. Some kids (mine especially, argh) are pretty tollerant to pain and hard to read. I would ake him to the ped just to be sure.

That was the first thing I thought as my mum says that screaming for no obvious reason can mean an ear problem (think we were plagued with them as kids) but the doctor checked his ears and they were okay, a little waxier than usual probably because of the cold but no inflammation or redness anything. I'll take him back though if he's still like this in a day or two.

Although since writing that before he screamed for another half an hour so I put him back in bed then he was quiet for 10 minutes, got up and ate his breakfast fine. Hopefully it's a sign he's getting back to normal.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Any creative ideas for a place to put dvds / video games that doesn't look like rear end? Right now we have ours on cheap college quality shelves. I'm worried when my kid gets to the age of climbing, these will be prime targets. We don't have a super huge collection. I'd only need room for about 100 dvds and 100 video games (giving room for growth).

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

This isn't what you're going for, but I just threw away all my cases and put all my cds and dvds into binders. So much more space and easier to keep him out of!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
We bought a deep cabinet with a locking glass door and then used the hole borer for our drill to make holes in the back. Turned it into our media cabinet, with the stereo, cable box, Playstation, and all our DVDs in it. The remotes still work because it's glass fronted, but the kid can't get to anything. At this point all we have are kid's dvds and Playstation games, we've ripped all the grown-up movies and just put them on a media server. The hard copies are stored in the garage for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Personally I don't mind my daughter constantly pulling them out of the entertainment center and putting them back all the time, it's a cute little game. Although I don't have as many games/DVDs as you do, but I love it everytime she grabs that copy of Ken's Rage and brings it over to me. It's the only game she does that with, it's hilarious.