Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

highme posted:

Also, has anybody heard of any weird GPS bugs where distance is not recorded well? When using navigator etc., things work fine. But if I'm using a GPS tracker like Endomondo the distance traveled is about 10x the actual distance.
Pretty sure this is a 4.2 issue. I posted about it a few pages back, some goon said he'd try to verify on his stock 4.2 ROM, but I haven't heard back from him.

I've tested out both Endomondo and RunTracker Pro and they both do the same fuckery, so I can assume it's nothing to do specifically with Endomondo. Plus there's about 7 posts on their bug tracker (getsatisfaction.com) about it with no response from them.

Edit: by "a few pages back" I mean a few pages back in the non-rooted Android thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I just saw a simmilar issue today.

I ran 4.6 miles based on previous runs, same route, and my phone reported 51.x miles. This is on cm-10.1-20121226-nightly. I don't think I've tracked anything in GPS other than navigation since upgrading to 10.1.

Tracking using strava run.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

deong posted:

I just saw a simmilar issue today.

I ran 4.6 miles based on previous runs, same route, and my phone reported 51.x miles. This is on cm-10.1-20121226-nightly. I don't think I've tracked anything in GPS other than navigation since upgrading to 10.1.

Tracking using strava run.

I'm also using 10.1, currently 20121229-nightly but have had this issue since since flashing 10.1 on my Nexus 4. All of the other submitters on the Endomondo bug tracker also seem to be using 10.1, though I'm curious as to what exactly could be responsible for a bug like this, since I've verified using other applications that 1) it's not a GPS accuracy issue (+/- 6-9ft) it's not a speed issue, velocity is being reported accurately and it's not a time issue. If v = d/t and v, d and t are all accurate it stands to reason that there shouldn't be a lower level (OS) issue but an error with the way the program is interpreting the information that it's receiving. Except it's more than one workout tracking program that exhibits the exact same problem.

So basically the entire situation doesn't make sense.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Does anyone have any experience with the Tegra 3 HTC One X? :(

I have just rooted my HTC One X and tried to install a CM10 nightly on it. Everything was looking OK (I got ClockWorkMod Recovery installed and all that) and I flashed the newest nightly (cm-10-20130103-NIGHTLY-endeavoru). It booted up, and the CyanogenMod boot screen came up but eventually it stopped spinning and just froze there. I shut down the phone by holding the power button and turned it back on again but then it wouldn't get past the HTC splash screen (which comes up before the CM screen). I tried clearing the cache with fastboot erase cache and reinstalling CM10 and all that. I have followed directions from the CM nightly thread on XDA and this YouTube video but I am still getting stuck on the HTC screen. I also tried restoring my Nandroid backup but it gets stuck at the same point again. Do I have any options other than trying to flash an RUU?

I don't have any other ROMs on my phone and I can't get any others on there due to the lack of SD card. Is there anything I can do? It was running Jelly Bean when I rooted it and I can't find an RUU for this (my carrier is Optus [Australia], the software number was 3.14.980.27 and the HBOOT version is 1.36). Will an ICS RUU (RUU_ENDEAVOR_U_ICS_40_Optus_AU_1.29.980.11_Radio_1.1204.105.14_release_260560_signed) install or will it not work?

I hope this is fixable, ugh. Thanks in advance :negative:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Re: the GPS glitch, I'm on JellyBelly 11.1, and have had the issue in both Endomondo & Run! Zombies, as well as the 3rd tracker I grabbed today (don't remember the name off hand) to see if it actually worked.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nexus 4 kernel report:

I flashed Franco r26 last night. My total overnight wakelock went from 2-3 hours down to 20 minutes, and specifically msm_hsic_host went from ~90 mins down to three. Battery drain was about three percent rather than 10+, and Android OS is way down the usage list instead of being top. So I'm pretty please with that and I'd certainly recommend it to other N4 owners that are getting annoying wakelocks.

In terms of screen on time, I'm hopefully for a small improvement from Android OS being lower but not expecting much. Journey to work this morning seemed to use about ~5% less but that's not very scientific so we'll have to see.

david puddy posted:

I have just rooted my HTC One X and tried to install a CM10 nightly on it. Everything was looking OK (I got ClockWorkMod Recovery installed and all that) and I flashed the newest nightly (cm-10-20130103-NIGHTLY-endeavoru). It booted up, and the CyanogenMod boot screen came up but eventually it stopped spinning and just froze there.

I hope this is fixable, ugh. Thanks in advance :negative:
Have you tried booting to recovery and doing a factory reset? I have no specific experience with your phone but this usually means that there is some data or something left on the phone from before that isn't compatible with your current OS.

Also first boot can take up to ten minutes. It shouldn't be anything like that long these days, but it could be. If the boot animation freezes then it probably isn't still booting but do give it a decent chance.

Edit: The good way to look at this is that as long as you can get to bootloader and/or recovery then your phone is not dead (hardware problems aside, but this certainly doesn't sound like a hardware problem).

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 4, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Pretty sure this is a 4.2 issue. I posted about it a few pages back, some goon said he'd try to verify on his stock 4.2 ROM, but I haven't heard back from him.

I've tested out both Endomondo and RunTracker Pro and they both do the same fuckery, so I can assume it's nothing to do specifically with Endomondo. Plus there's about 7 posts on their bug tracker (getsatisfaction.com) about it with no response from them.

Edit: by "a few pages back" I mean a few pages back in the non-rooted Android thread.
Actually it's a CM10 issue. Sorry, I'm that goon and then I read up about it and never reported back.

e: Problem and message from David von Tonder that Steve is handling it.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 4, 2013

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

"/storage/emulated/0" is your real internal storage now. Well, that's not entirely true, but it's good enough.

There's links to that directory as "/mnt/shell/emulated", "/storage/emulated/legacy", as well as "/sdcard", "/mnt/sdcard", "/storage/sdcard0", etc., as those are alternate paths that applications may have hardcoded at one point. It's annoying but you can pretty much ignore them.

The nested "0/0" and "0/0/0" directories are created everytime you update CM 10.1 using an old recovery. Basically the contents of "/storage/emulated/0" get moved to "/storage/emulated/0/0". The two things you'll want to do here are: (i) update your recovery so this doesn't happen anymore, and (ii) go through the nested "0/0" directories to see if there's anything you care about. You can blow away the nested "0/0" directories if you want, but check for stuff first since anything you saved before your last CM update could be in one of them.

The external SD card, if it's working, is mounted under /storage/sdcard1. Not sure what's up with MTP, I pretty much assume it works for poo poo.

Why are all the links there? Does this mean we can clear out (delete the poo poo out of) any of the links or are they there for some specific reason? Just as long as we don't delete "storage/emulated/0" ..?

I'm on a Gnex so don't actually have a physical SD card but there's a directory that represents that as well. (sdcard0 I think? or mnt/sdcard.. ahhh confusing!)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

give me thread posted:

Why are all the links there?
Because some apps that write to internal storage use "/sdcard", others use "/mnt/sdcard", others yet may use "/storage/sdcard0", and Android has to maintain all of them for backwards compatibility.

give me thread posted:

Does this mean we can clear out (delete the poo poo out of) any of the links or are they there for some specific reason?
They're just links, so what's inside of them is identical to "/storage/emulated/0". The links themselves can't be removed without modifying the init scripts. Seriously just ignore them, pretend they don't exist.

give me thread posted:

I'm on a Gnex so don't actually have a physical SD card but there's a directory that represents that as well. (sdcard0 I think? or mnt/sdcard.. ahhh confusing!)
Those are all just links to "/storage/emulated/0".

So here's what's going on, kind of. In the old old days of Android there were two kinds of storage. There was application-private storage in /data/data, that (simplified) could only be read by the app, and was intended for things like preferences and configuration and stuff. That storage was also on a gross-small NAND flash chip, possibly only a few hundred MB or so large.

The second kind of storage was bulk media storage, shared across all apps, in /sdcard, which was usually an actual microSD card you could insert and remove from the phone. So apps were written to store preferences in their private (/data) storage space, and put all media content, or frankly just "large files" in /sdcard since that was the only place they could fit.

Of course this didn't really work. The app-private storage space was far too small, but thankfully raw NAND chips were replaced with hefty eMMC controllers with plenty of space, part of which became the "internal SD card". Around this same time, Nexus devices (the Nexus S) dumped external SD cards entirely, but the distinction between app-private (/data) storage, and bulk media (/sdcard) persisted.

Then things really went to poo poo. First, the division between /data and /sdcard became too cumbersome, so they got merged in a weird way that allows them to be the same physical space, but to provide both private and shared storage capabilities. Second, phones started shipping with both internal and external storage. Third, USB OTG support allows folks to plug in external USB drivers, multiple even! And finally, Android is now providing multiple user/profile support including distinct storage spaces.

Providing all the above features while maintaining backwards compatibility with old apps is what led us into this mess. And frankly, it's probably just that the apps themselves want to maintain compatibility with Android 2.x because that's what over half of Android phones are actually running.

But yeah, for your purposes you can play around with /storage/emulated/0 in a file browser, and if your phone has a microSD slot, /storage/sdcard1. Otherwise just leave everything else alone.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Tunga posted:

Have you tried booting to recovery and doing a factory reset? I have no specific experience with your phone but this usually means that there is some data or something left on the phone from before that isn't compatible with your current OS.

Also first boot can take up to ten minutes. It shouldn't be anything like that long these days, but it could be. If the boot animation freezes then it probably isn't still booting but do give it a decent chance.

Edit: The good way to look at this is that as long as you can get to bootloader and/or recovery then your phone is not dead (hardware problems aside, but this certainly doesn't sound like a hardware problem).
Thanks for your help, I have managed to salvage it. I tried to do a factory wipe after restoring the stock Recovery and that compltely deleted everything. Then I found out I could mount the virtual SD card through the custom recovery so I downloaded another ROM (a Sense one this time) and it's worked just fine. Thanks again for your post, it gave me hope, haha. :)

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Is rooting going to be pretty much the only way to get a Gnex on verizon to 4.2? The OP seems out of date, what would be the gto rom for a Gnex?

Teflon Bob
Feb 2, 2004

Wipes down easy!
I'm running Cyanogenmod on my Sprint Gnex and it's working well.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
T-mobile SGH-T999:

Looks like I did a bad thing. I was confused about why CyanDelta wasn't updating past the 12/15 or so nightly so I went to the CM website and downloaded the latest nightly. Turns out that was the nightly for CM10.1. Well it wiped my IMEI but I managed to get that injected back in. However, I'm having some radio issues. For whatever reason, I'm only getting EDGE service. I've updated CWM(irrelevant I guess, but worth saying), and I flashed the latest radio I could find which was T999UVDLJA. It seems there are people on XDA using CM10.1 and getting HSPA+ speeds just fine. Anyone have any ideas or are my options basically A) Wait for a nightly to come along and fix it or B) Wipe and reinstall CM10? Thanks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

compton rear end terry posted:

Is rooting going to be pretty much the only way to get a Gnex on verizon to 4.2? The OP seems out of date, what would be the gto rom for a Gnex?
FYI the 4.2.1 update on the GSM Galaxy Nexus isn't exactly what you'd call smooth or stable, but you're welcome to try it. But yes, you'll have to unlock your bootloader if you want unofficial software.

Doug posted:

T-mobile SGH-T999:

Looks like I did a bad thing. I was confused about why CyanDelta wasn't updating past the 12/15 or so nightly so I went to the CM website and downloaded the latest nightly. Turns out that was the nightly for CM10.1. Well it wiped my IMEI but I managed to get that injected back in. However, I'm having some radio issues. For whatever reason, I'm only getting EDGE service. I've updated CWM(irrelevant I guess, but worth saying), and I flashed the latest radio I could find which was T999UVDLJA. It seems there are people on XDA using CM10.1 and getting HSPA+ speeds just fine. Anyone have any ideas or are my options basically A) Wait for a nightly to come along and fix it or B) Wipe and reinstall CM10? Thanks.
A nightly isn't going to just fix it, you need to get it working first.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I'm finally going to update my Samsung Galaxy SII SGH-T989 (T-Mobile) to ICS but before I do, I wanted to backup everything on the phone (including some save game data that can't be backed up unless rooted). So this means I need to root the phone and thus, have arrived at this thread.

The OP is a bit dated (and the poster banned), but I've gone through a number of the links therein to see if I can find what I need to get the job done. I've also googled up some alternative things as well. After doing that, I wanted to post in this thread to see if someone could tell me I'm on the right track, or to stop what I'm doing before I ruin my phone and lose all the data on it I was hoping to save in the first place!

So here's where I am now:

The XDA post about SuperOneClick (mentioned in the OP) has been searched for "SGH-T989" and six posts came up. A couple of them indicated that this application does, in fact, root the SGH-T989 without issue. However, a few of the others mention that if you've taken an over the air update to a later version (which I have; I'm currently on version 2.3.6 according to the About Phone page) it won't work.

Is this a lost cause?

Will trying this and it not work just "not work" or will it brick the device?

The other method I've found is here: http://galaxys2root.com/galaxy-s2-root/how-to-root-galaxy-s2-newworks-on-all-galaxy-s2-variants/ which appears to use some custom app that just roots the phone without the need to install a custom ROM or anything. Anyone have any experience with this method?

Essobie fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 5, 2013

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Doug posted:

For whatever reason, I'm only getting EDGE service.
Check your preferred network mode setting (Settings -> More... -> Mobile networks -> Network Mode). It probably should be on "GSM/WCDMA preferred", but if it ended up on "GSM only" then you'd only get EDGE.

I suppose you could also try switching to "WCDMA only" to see what happens.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Check your preferred network mode setting (Settings -> More... -> Mobile networks -> Network Mode). It probably should be on "GSM/WCDMA preferred", but if it ended up on "GSM only" then you'd only get EDGE.

I suppose you could also try switching to "WCDMA only" to see what happens.

I checked and I was on GSM/WCDMA preferred already. The other two options I have are LTE/GSM/WCDMA and LTE/WCDMA. I tried to switch between the other two a few times but nothing seemed to improve. Once when I switched to LTE/GSM/WCDMA it started doing the normal 3g/h+ switching thing but my signal was really inconsistent, my bars would fluctuate between 3 and none. When I rebooted again it just went back to EDGE only.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

I finally decided to unlock and root my nexus 4. I'm now running stock rom with franco's kernel and holy poo poo, what a change in terms of battery life. Check it out.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Any opinions on if leankernel or francokernel are better for battery life? There's a ton of settings like IO schedulers, governors, etc that I'm unsure of how they affect performance/battery life.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Lblitzer posted:

Any opinions on if leankernel or francokernel are better for battery life? There's a ton of settings like IO schedulers, governors, etc that I'm unsure of how they affect performance/battery life.
Other than my post above yours? It's like a night and day difference. Still evaluating performance on some games, will update later on that. But for battery life, it's a huge change. I'm talking an extra 90 minutes of on screen time, take what you will of my anecdotal evidence.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

z06ck posted:

Other than my post above yours? It's like a night and day difference. Still evaluating performance on some games, will update later on that. But for battery life, it's a huge change. I'm talking an extra 90 minutes of on screen time, take what you will of my anecdotal evidence.

I mean lean vs Franco.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Am I blind, or does my CM 10.1 not passively listen for when I say " Google" in the Google now app? I don't use it regularly but it's great when driving and for party tricks. Do only official ROMs have it? I don't even see the option and I swear it was there.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A reminder to all you Nexus 4 people on Franco: the thing that's giving you extra battery life (the fix for the msm_hsic_wakelock) causes data to drop frequently and has been reverted in CM10.1 as of today. But it's definitely true that a phone that can't do anything does extremely well on battery.

LiquidRain posted:

Am I blind, or does my CM 10.1 not passively listen for when I say " Google" in the Google now app? I don't use it regularly but it's great when driving and for party tricks. Do only official ROMs have it? I don't even see the option and I swear it was there.
Just for reference, the option should be in Google Now > Settings > Voice > Hotword Detection

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Can you elaborate? I'm not noticing this on r28.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

z06ck posted:

Can you elaborate? I'm not noticing this on r28.
January 2nd there were fixes merged into CM10.1 to address a wakelock (msm_hsic_wakelock) and since then users have been reporting data connectivity dropouts and GPS weirdness. Reverting those fixes seems to correct the intermittent data drops so that's what they've done. I don't know what Franco is going to do with regards to it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

January 2nd there were fixes merged into CM10.1 to address a wakelock (msm_hsic_wakelock) and since then users have been reporting data connectivity dropouts and GPS weirdness. Reverting those fixes seems to correct the intermittent data drops so that's what they've done. I don't know what Franco is going to do with regards to it.
For what it's worth I've had no data/connectivity issues. I guess I'll stay on Franco r26.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Have they fixed the errors that occurred in updating from 10.1 to the latest nightlies, or is it still best practice to manually flash the update and gApps on a Galaxy Nexus?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Has anybody else been having issues with CM10 on the SGS3 where the screen won't turn on? I push the button, the capacitive lights light up but no screen, so I hit the button, wait a few seconds, hit the button again, and the screen comes on. It's not every time, just sometimes.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Has anybody else been having issues with CM10 on the SGS3 where the screen won't turn on? I push the button, the capacitive lights light up but no screen, so I hit the button, wait a few seconds, hit the button again, and the screen comes on. It's not every time, just sometimes.

Do you have any special CPU clock settings in place? It's a fairly common occurrence that if the CPU is set too low when the screen is off that it won't be able to compensate fast enough to wake up properly.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I had that issue with completely stock settings on CM10 trying to use the home button to wake. Never with using the power button.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

ProjektorBoy posted:

Do you have any special CPU clock settings in place? It's a fairly common occurrence that if the CPU is set too low when the screen is off that it won't be able to compensate fast enough to wake up properly.

The CPU Governor was set to Interactive, so I'm not sure. I thought I had it set on Conservative, which I thought might be the problem, but I guess not. I changed it to Conservative anyway so maybe that'll magically fix it somehow.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Speaking of kernels, any suggestions for a CM 10.1 on a Galaxy Nexus?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Do you need root to flash updated for CM?
My office doesn't like rooted phones (zenprise). I'm thinking of unrooting (will that factory restore) and getting onboard, but I'm not willing to give up CM. I don't need work emails that bad.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deong posted:

My office doesn't like rooted phones (zenprise). I'm thinking of unrooting (will that factory restore) and getting onboard, but I'm not willing to give up CM. I don't need work emails that bad.
CM has a switch to disable root.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

deong posted:

I'm assuming you're using a recovery(cwm, twrp). You don't need root to flash...

You can unroot without factory resetting, yes.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Don't you need root to be able to write to /system?

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Don't you need root to be able to write to /system?
Yes but you don't if you're flashing

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I purchased an Enco B046 Android-powered head unit for my car, and there are some things I'd love to be able to fix, if I could somehow acquire root access. Most importantly, the GPS functionality. Here's what I know about it:

1. It's a Telechips TCC8925
2. It only has one USB port (Female-A), and it appears to be Host-only. Hooking up a Male-A to Male-A cable between it and a PC, the PC doesn't detect anything on the other end. Hooking up an OTG cable between it and another Android device, it tries to mount the other Android as mass storage.
3. It has Busybox on it. Not sure if that's exploitable in some fashion.
4. It runs 4.0.4

It's very similar to this:
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/36988-cx-01-cortex-a5/

I can't connect to it via USB and control it with ADB, which eliminates all of the ways to root the device that I have come across. The most important thing that I need to do is to update the framework.jar, as it suffers from an incorrect GetSpeed function that throws off pretty much every GPS application. It's calculating my land speed at 1.852% of the actual speed. I have fixed the error, and repackaged the framework.jar, but to updated it, alas, I need root access.

Does anyone know of a way to gain root via an Android application, or maybe a Busybox exploit of some sort? It's a shot in the dark, but without some sort of physical connectivity, I'm at a loss.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Quoting the great Plains Trains and Automobiles, "You're hosed".

Well, does it have an sd card slot?

Nevermind, read the spec sheet. Sorry.

z06ck fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

Just for reference, the option should be in Google Now > Settings > Voice > Hotword Detection

I think that only works if you have the language under Voice set to English (US)