Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Captain Appleseed posted:

So is there anyone left in the Australian team that goons do like?

Everyone hated Clarke when he kept getting out before tea breaks, or getting bowled shouldering arms, but his recent form has made up for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Bird seems ok.

baked
Apr 1, 2005

i took a little nap where the roots all twist; squished a rotten peach in my fist.
Clarke, Bird, Siddle

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I like Khawaja, but that's probably because I'm English and he's not very good.

Captain Appleseed
Jun 12, 2007
Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of Rum
Sri Lankans have been taking advise from Clarke on when you should review.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

You Am I posted:

There seems to be a bit of a resemblance between Nathan Lyon and former F1 driver Robert Kubica
That was well spotted

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is Dilshan a better bowler than Lyon?

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Cowan is metally done, he needs some time off to repair his brain.

Wade is awful with the gloves, truely terrible.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Also Lyon is worthless.

I like Bird, Siddle. Mijo hit the stumps which I appreciate vs tail enders.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I have no idea how Cowan is still in.

Pig in the City
Oct 7, 2007

That'll do, pig. That'll do.

spamman posted:

I have no idea how Cowan is still in.

He's an elaborate prank. Everyone is in on it.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I like most of the side. They either do the job or have a bit of potential about them. Exciting side to follow. I think ausgoons just miss the day when we would blow sides away.

Pig in the City
Oct 7, 2007

Anyone got recommendations on a top notch cricket book to pick up?

e: I'd love to know particularly about early Australian teams - up to the Invincibles, really. But any left field suggestions would be cool too.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I like Clarke, Cowan (he needs to chill a bit but he's got a heap of potential), most of the bowling lineup except that cuntface MiJo. They need to drop Wade and exorcise Haddin's ghost and call up Tim Paine.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Pig in the City posted:

e: I'd love to know particularly about early Australian teams - up to the Invincibles, really. But any left field suggestions would be cool too.

Cowan wrote a book didn't he? I think I heard some people say it was pretty good since it is actually written by a cricketer and not just ghost written or whatever.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Adam Gilchrist's book is very good.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

Cowan wrote a book didn't he? I think I heard some people say it was pretty good since it is actually written by a cricketer and not just ghost written or whatever.

yeah it was a awesome book, a bit short but a great read.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Mister Chief posted:

Warwick Todd wrote some crackers.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

The commentators just ruined my theory that Clarke would "retire hurt" to let hussey in. Now they've said it it's not possible. He is probably just holding off since he knows Cowan will get out stupidly soon.

E: as I post that Clarke bunts one straight to the close man. Well called.

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters

Pig in the City posted:

bodyline autopsy by david firth
the book of ashes anecdotes by gideon haigh

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
lol Cowan is done like dinner.

Also here comes some hilarity.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Can hussey save Australia from failing miserably?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The sides inability to play spin is by far the biggest concern.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
lmao holy gently caress matthew wade, I know top knock in the first innings but the sweep was clearly NEVER on there, 10 runs to win with like 8 days of the match left

e: I'm a fan of Richie Benaud's book, and there's and there's an audiobook floating around which I can't remember the name of with stories like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J90x9xRf24

Actually there's a video where Dickie Bird just tells stories and it's amazing, I can't find it though, I had it on VHS years ago

Hyperriker fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 6, 2013

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

lets go have dinner :wtc:

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Johnson hits the winning runs instead of Hussey

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

To give the benefit to Johnson, he just tried to defend it but Hussey was very keen for the single.

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

dflanny posted:

To give the benefit to Johnson, he just tried to defend it but Hussey was very keen for the single.

I'd expect nothing less from Hussey tbh.

Also Nathan Lyon to now sing the team song? What?

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

dflanny posted:

(yes I know) Don't rob me of any chance to lay poo poo into Johnson you heathen :argh:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

BlackShadow posted:

I'd expect nothing less from Hussey tbh.

Also Nathan Lyon to now sing the team song? What?

He'll be in the team for the next decade then.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Weird giving it to Lyon, I'd have bet Warner or maybe Siddle.

baked
Apr 1, 2005

i took a little nap where the roots all twist; squished a rotten peach in my fist.
RIP Hussey :(

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Hyperriker posted:

(yes I know) Don't rob me of any chance to lay poo poo into Johnson you heathen :argh:

Sorry. Johnson's still a oval office.

Now that Lyon's leading the team song, he's never getting dropped.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Clarke is now the last player left in the Test team who took part in the 06/07 Ashes (or second-last, Johnson was 12th man). What a difference six years makes.

Pig in the City
Oct 7, 2007

Coucho Marx posted:

Clarke is now the last player left in the Test team who took part in the 06/07 Ashes (or second-last, Johnson was 12th man). What a difference six years makes.

Wow. God drat. So we should be looking at a maturing side fresh out of a rebuilding phase.

Oh wait.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Pig in the City posted:

Wow. God drat. So we should be looking at a maturing side fresh out of a rebuilding phase.

Oh wait.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Just rough figures (and not counting Johnson), but Clarke was the only player under 30 in the side. The next youngest player was Lee, who was 30. Warne was the oldest at 37. There was really no smooth transition from one generation to the next; we lost a bunch of great players in quick sucession, and a bunch of newbies were left to flail around with the remnants holding on.

Not that it's any sort of excuse. It's interesting to see what effect it's had on the team, and somebody must have seen it coming after the retirements.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Same thing happened when Lillee and Marsh retired, we were poo poo for a good while until Border, and he anchored an extremely average side until we got good under Taylor with Warne and McGrath

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
So it's like the mid-eighties again, only Clarke is Border and South Africa are the West Indies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Coucho Marx posted:

So it's like the mid-eighties again, only Clarke is Border and South Africa are the West Indies?

Who is Kim Hughes in this? Also which Australian fast bowler reboots Who Dares Wins after retirement?

• Locked thread