Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

Just, be prepared to be disappointed by the movie. Or rather, by the ending of the movie. It's the schmaltziest "and they all lived happily ever after" dreck. I was hoping, with it being the Inbetweeners, they'd go the other way and make totally depressing ending, as keeping to the series.

I genuinely thought Simon was going to drown at the end, because just a total u-turn from the rest of the film would have been hilarious. Would have been a better ending!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

How in the flying gently caress did they get Stephen Hawking to be in a Go Compare advert? I barely have to ever watch adverts due to the glory that is Internet iPlayers but god drat I swear I haven't seen a good ad since that Guinness "tick follows tock" one that aired eleventy billion years ago.

Lugaloco fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 5, 2013

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I'm ashamed of myself for this but the Ladbrokes "NO KAMMY FOOTBALL IS ON" advert made me laugh the first time I saw it.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Lugaloco posted:

How in the flying gently caress did they get Stephen Hawking to be in a Go Compare advert? I barely have to ever watch adverts due to the glory that is Internet iPlayers but god drat I swear I haven't seen a good ad since that Guinness "tick follows tock" one that aired eleventy billion years ago.

The gorilla playing the drums for cadbury was good.
As was the one where they exploded all that paint on some dreary estate in scotland for sony.

Also regardless if you even like football this was a great ad for the 2010 world cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSggaxXUS8k

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 5, 2013

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Lugaloco posted:

How in the flying gently caress did they get Stephen Hawking to be in a Go Compare advert?

Well it's not like he can do anything about it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Run Dodo Run posted:

I genuinely thought Simon was going to drown at the end, because just a total u-turn from the rest of the film would have been hilarious. Would have been a better ending!

That would be amazing. Just cut to the credits in silence as Simon just floats face down.

Bleak as all gently caress, but certainly memorable.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Lugaloco posted:

I just looked it up. I watched it. And now I'm not entirely sure that I'm awake.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

"I am a fan of the Gocompare.com adverts, but I am also an opera fan, so I was delighted to be given the opportunity to help save the nation and silence Gio. I hope the public find it as funny as I did."

:stare:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

VogeGandire posted:

It's just, even the happiest ending in the series involved Simon's car rolling into a lake.

And then them all puking on each other.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

VogeGandire posted:

Mr Gilbert steals every scene he's in.

Went to see Greg Davies' The Back Of My Mum's Head show in Blackpool (It was the last one) and he was great there too. Wasn't sure if he'd be any good but apparently he's been on Live at the Apollo as well. It was a bit gimmicky though, he turned big signs around for his punchlines and ended on a song. Fun night though.

The support act was alright too but hell if I can remember his name.

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006

Chuck Bartowski posted:

The support act was alright too but hell if I can remember his name.
Ed Gamble? He often does support for Greg Davies.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
It's the TV show everyone's been waiting for
https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/splash-/series-1/episode-1

Yes you can watch it now.
Yes it is 90 minutes.
Yes it does say "advances into the semi-finals" hinting that this is part 1 of a 6 part series.
Yes the theme music does appear to be sampled from Guile's SF2 theme.
Yes it is loving terrible.

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010

Giedroyc posted:

This made me click the link.

I'm reminded of why I don't watch ITV.

edit: Jade Ewen in a gold bikini made me watch this longer than I thought I would.

Chunk5 fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 6, 2013

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Giedroyc posted:

It's the TV show everyone's been waiting for
https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/splash-/series-1/episode-1

Yes you can watch it now.
Yes it is 90 minutes.
Yes it does say "advances into the semi-finals" hinting that this is part 1 of a 6 part series.
Yes it is loving terrible.

I managed to hang in there long enough to hear the theme music you spoke of. It is pretty close isnt it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iof5pRAIZmw

I dunno what to say about this, have we got a 'lost all faith in humanity, reason, sense and the end is nigh' icon?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Can someone stop being coy and mention what the gently caress it is? I can't see it on my phone.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Watched '50 Funniest Moments of 2012' on E4 last night, just the regular old talking heads clip show thing but was surprised to see the Greek Golden Dawn guy hitting the female politician live on air was featured and then made fun of. :psyduck:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I've been watching through Star Stories again and forgot how good it is.

"Good morning, boys and girls. I'm John Leslie and I'm an INTENSELY SEXUAL BEING."

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Akuma posted:

Can someone stop being coy and mention what the gently caress it is? I can't see it on my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfAxNT5SQIo

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

I'm surprised ITV showed restraint and didn't have a little cartoon Tom Daley's dad giving a thumbs up/thumbs down.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
To be fair, opening Flash and/or After Effects to do that would probably cost more than they have budget for.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I watched bits of it and I came to the conclusion that it was no more offensive or pointless than any other talent show on TV. I can't wait for my Facebook feed to become flooded by people that insist that they absolutely hate it and yet every week will write large diatribes about how it is obviously rigged and so and so was cheated out of staying in.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

I watched bits of it and I came to the conclusion that it was no more offensive or pointless than any other talent show on TV. I can't wait for my Facebook feed to become flooded by people that insist that they absolutely hate it and yet every week will write large diatribes about how it is obviously rigged and so and so was cheated out of staying in.

This is why I loving dread the X Factor. Not because of the people talking about it, to each their own, but the people who endlessly loving complain about people posting about it. "OH HOW COULD YOU WATCH THAT IT'S SO OBVIOUSLY RIGGED IT'S POINTLESS".

Just let people like what they like, man.

And it's never the people who post about what THEY like, it's just the people who constantly complain about anything popular.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 6, 2013

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

VogeGandire posted:

This is why I loving dread the X Factor. Not because of the people talking about it, to each their own, but the people who endlessly loving complain about people posting about it. "OH HOW COULD YOU WATCH THAT IT'S SO OBVIOUSLY RIGGED IT'S POINTLESS".

And it's never the people who post about what THEY like, it's just the people who constantly complain about anything popular.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. I've never seen a full episode of the X-Factor and have no interest in it, because it's not aimed me. What I hate though, is the idea that I'm "supposed" to hate it on some sort of moral level, when frankly I think it's a brilliant idea. It's taken something that was pretty much done behind closed doors and made it into a multi-million (billion?) pound industry. I honestly don't see who X Factor's a bad thing for, except maybe the winners once the public get fed up of them.

Stuff like "lets get RATM's worst song to number 1 for no reason" annoyed me infinitely more than X Factor ever will.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

The main complaint about xfactor is that it advocates the same cookie cutter style of singing/artist that when Pop Idol/Popstars are taken into consideration have been churned out for about a decade now. They seldom have staying power unless they have a gimmick so once the show is over they have about a six month sell by date because the labels/PR drop them in favour of the next batch of disposables.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Mickolution posted:

Stuff like "lets get RATM's worst song to number 1 for no reason" annoyed me infinitely more than X Factor ever will.

Really? I thought it was really interesting and one of the more exciting Christmas number 1 races in years. Maybe I'm just moving away from this thread. I'm a person who genuinely still likes Top Gear and didn't really care about the plot holes in TDKR unlike a number of people here.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I can't help but feel sorry for those who go onto it with the right intentions (but are deluded about their own talents) solely to be laughed at and ridiculed. I know they went on of their own volition, but (especially in the earlier days) they had no idea of how it worked.

Your average joe doesn't understand the nuances of television that someone who's more media literate does. It's not that they're stupid; it's that they take programming at face value. They assume that everyone on Jeremy Kyle is incoherent and has anger issues, but doesn't think for a minute that someone from the production team is plying them with alcohol and winding them up whilst they're waiting in the wings.

Similarly, in the early days, people assumed you went straight through to be seen by the judges when you auditioned for X Factor. I have a mate who auditioned (a long time before I met her) and she's a fantastic singer. She auditioned before the production team and they told her that although she had a good voice, they weren't taking her through. Standing next to her was a deluded soul who was awful - and much to my mate's upset, he went through. Of course, she realised what was going on once she saw him being ripped to shreds on television.

But if you stand in that chap's shoes for a second...he thought he was good. He was auditioned and he went through whilst the great singer next to him got knocked out. "YES!" he thinks, not considering for a second that he's going to be ridiculed - "I must be even better than she is!" And then they're wound up, cheered on and encouraged to beg for spots...because then they believe they're 'in' on the game, without ever realising that they sound awful and the joke is on them.

I find that extremely distasteful - and there's a lot of people who join in with the, "Oh yeah, it's rigged, it's crap, I don't watch it...apart from the auditions to laugh at." I personally think that's the worst part.

All power to the ones who go through the entire process - most of them are extremely good singers, who have the talent to make it if things go their way. It's the constant mindgames and power play that's grim to watch.

As for RAGE, the thing that irritated me that year was that it was apparently a foregone conclusion that the X Factor would have the top spot, and the Radio Times had a blurb about TOTP featuring an interview with the Number One artist - and that irked me a bit. It also 'ruined' any race for the Christmas Number One, as everyone else stopped releasing Christmas singles, knowing they'd get blown into oblivion.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

Every house that I've lived in over the past 3 years has had people that talk about how much they loathe the X-Factor and yet will tune in and watch it every week. Thats what baffles me. The people that hate it the most have more energy for it than anyone else. For me, I think its an incredibly boring TV show, so I can't even find the energy to engage with it let alone any of the music that comes out of it.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

NaDy posted:

Really? I thought it was really interesting and one of the more exciting Christmas number 1 races in years. Maybe I'm just moving away from this thread. I'm a person who genuinely still likes Top Gear and didn't really care about the plot holes in TDKR unlike a number of people here.

Whats a big dumb comic book film got to do with this thread?

X-factor is made by some very smart people that know exactly what they are doing and the love/hate reaction it gets goes a long way into ensuring its success, it'll go the same way as big brother and something new will fill the gap once it finishes. There's a huge market for it and yeah the rage thing was by people who obviously cared enough to try and do a silly symbolic gently caress you to it all. As futile as it was it was still a bit of fun and a lot of people on the internet utterly hate that.

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Watched '50 Funniest Moments of 2012' on E4 last night, just the regular old talking heads clip show thing but was surprised to see the Greek Golden Dawn guy hitting the female politician live on air was featured and then made fun of. :psyduck:

As talking head/list shows go it was an really bad one, usually i don't mind it and its a nice 30-min rundown of the years events in an easily digestible form, but the jokes just came off as bitter and cynical rather than poking fun at it ( a lot of "well if i was there i would have done *random thing* LOL!!!" ) and Stacy Solomon gushing about how Boris johnson does silly things that make us laugh ahaha what a card!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

NaDy posted:

The best thing about that competition is that the XFactor winner in question, when asked about it, was all "Yeah, you know, it's cool I don't really mind not being number 1 that much, and I like that RATM song" and yet Simon Cowell was all "THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER"

Says a lot, really.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Leon with a Zero posted:

Whats a big dumb comic book film got to do with this thread?

There was some discussion about it a few pages back, because Brooker brought it up in his 2012 wipe.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

VogeGandire posted:

I've been watching through Star Stories again and forgot how good it is.

"Good morning, boys and girls. I'm John Leslie and I'm an INTENSELY SEXUAL BEING."

My partner introduced me to Star Stories with the Heather Mills one (as I'm a Beatles' fan, but Paul irritates me...); that's another series I revisit every year or so. It also means every time I see a clip of the real George Michael, I start singing, 'Famine!'

Never quite got into Stella Street, but the combination of silliness and that the Star Stories scripts are frequently lifted directly out of the news stories never fails to get me giggling. That, and I adore Matt King.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

You X-Factor defending fucks would probably bay and laugh and boo at Hot Shot.

You make me sick.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Seaside Loafer posted:

I managed to hang in there long enough to hear the theme music you spoke of. It is pretty close isnt it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iof5pRAIZmw

I dunno what to say about this, have we got a 'lost all faith in humanity, reason, sense and the end is nigh' icon?

Go home and produce a low production reality program for ITV.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
It's a celebrity contestant reality show, who cares? I don't remember this much fuss about Cirque de Celebrity or any of the other twenty of these there's been. Of course it's poo poo, you don't need to watch it and then give a trip report back to the thread that yeah it turns out Celebrity Diving on ITV isn't your cup of tea.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Most of this is correct but,

Testro posted:

They assume that everyone on Jeremy Kyle is incoherent and has anger issues, but doesn't think for a minute that someone from the production team is plying them with alcohol
This doesn't happen and there is absolutely no way you'd get away with it, the contributors would sue/ofcom would fine the production company into oblivion.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, that would never, ever happen. It would only take a single person even ALLEGING it before OFCOM would be swarming them like locusts.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Someone explain to me what the deal is with the "Christmas number 1"? Surely not being interested in X-factor means you're also not interested in who is number 1 in the pop charts? Honestly, I really need someone to tell me why it's a good thing that RATM got the number 1 instead of the X-factor, or why a foregone conclusion is a bad thing.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Testro posted:

I can't help but feel sorry for those who go onto it with the right intentions (but are deluded about their own talents) solely to be laughed at and ridiculed. I know they went on of their own volition, but (especially in the earlier days) they had no idea of how it worked.

Your average joe doesn't understand the nuances of television that someone who's more media literate does. It's not that they're stupid; it's that they take programming at face value. They assume that everyone on Jeremy Kyle is incoherent and has anger issues, but doesn't think for a minute that someone from the production team is plying them with alcohol and winding them up whilst they're waiting in the wings.

For someone who is incredibly nuanced in television production what you are saying here is absolute rubbish.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Hoops posted:

Surely not being interested in X-factor means you're also not interested in who is number 1 in the pop charts?

Are you seriously suggesting that not appreciating some bullshit reality show that churns out generic pap precludes you from having any interest in music whatsoever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Flatscan posted:

Are you seriously suggesting that not appreciating some bullshit reality show that churns out generic pap precludes you from having any interest in music whatsoever?
No I'm not, that's silly to even think that.