Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Read NMC's page about the various differences. NMC's large pack is entirely reasonable if you've got plenty of ram, a decent GPU and a decent HD. The biggest, by far, biggest, bottleneck for performance is your HD. Presumably because it was designed first for the Xbox.

If you're not sure, just go with Medium. I also recommend the Ojo/Poco Bueno Securitron and Objects packages. Securitron one especially.

As for nights, I recommend either the NVSE flashlight mod, or whatever that mod is that ups the lighting. Or that tweak someone else suggested. Try Simple Streetlights from the OP to add some, well, simple streetlights. Use the Darker Nights ESP version that'll make them brighter the lights farther reaching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I'm wondering, is there a mod that turns Roxie into a full companion for all of OWB? Like so you can take her outside of X-8 and have a companion wheel and stuff.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

SpookyLizard posted:

As for nights, I recommend either the NVSE flashlight mod, or whatever that mod is that ups the lighting. Or that tweak someone else suggested. Try Simple Streetlights from the OP to add some, well, simple streetlights. Use the Darker Nights ESP version that'll make them brighter the lights farther reaching.

I recommend the opposite. The game doesn't have good dynamic lightning and all the flashlight mods are big hacks and look like crap. I suggest not using any mods that make the nights so dark that you need a flashlight. I've been there myself, looking for the perfect night brightness mod to make the game more atmospheric, but it doesn't exist.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Smol posted:

I recommend the opposite. The game doesn't have good dynamic lightning and all the flashlight mods are big hacks and look like crap. I suggest not using any mods that make the nights so dark that you need a flashlight. I've been there myself, looking for the perfect night brightness mod to make the game more atmospheric, but it doesn't exist.

Alternatively, use the Advanced Recon Tech's thermal/NVG's. You can get atleast the shittier versions of the gear as early as the NCR camp outside Primm, and most of the gear is lying around in places the NCR run. (or you can just cheat have 'em placed in Doc Mitchell's house.

The problem is that Darker Nights own so many bones, at the absolute worst, you're just terrified of going out at night.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Smol posted:

Yeah, I don't get why that one popular flashlight mod gets recommended so often. It's an amazing feat of modding, I'm sure, but the lighting effect's behavior is so weirdly awful that I can't stand to use it. The Adv. Recon stuff is great, though.

Honestly though, I use really dark/realistic nights, and most of the time my eyes adjust well enough to scrape along the countryside with no added light (except for the occasional Pip-Boy light to find something on the ground). And if it's too dangerous and dark out there, there's something to be said for hunkering down until dawn. Boone's Spotter perk can be handy, too; keep a scopeless weapon out and do a quick sweep for baddies every few yards. I've never bothered, but brewing up a big batch of Cateye might be another way to go...?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

I installed NMC's texture pack and uhhh.... I got a mighty strange issue.

The clouds turned purple. Like, not specifically the skybox but the cloud overlay over it.

I didn't install any other mods, so I don't think it's a load order issue or anything (also because NMC doesn't even come with a ESP). I looked through some of the folders and it doesn't seem like anything in NMC replaces skyboxes or clouds either so... what the heck is going on with this?

Also, that flashlight mod is cool indoors in dark areas. Light My Flare is also cool for outdoor night combat, with the shotgun rounds that fire flares that explode into a haze of light.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 6, 2013

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Fereydun posted:

I installed NMC's texture pack and uhhh.... I got a mighty strange issue.

The clouds turned purple. Like, not specifically the skybox but the cloud overlay over it.

I didn't install any other mods, so I don't think it's a load order issue or anything (also because NMC doesn't even come with a ESP). I looked through some of the folders and it doesn't seem like anything in NMC replaces skyboxes or clouds either so... what the heck is going on with this?

Also, that flashlight mod is cool indoors in dark areas. Light My Flare is also cool for outdoor night combat, with the shotgun rounds that fire flares that explode into a haze of light.

I misread that at first, thinking your the screenshot went with your Light My Flare recommendation. ":what: Are you kidding? That's got to be the shittiest flare I've ever seen!"

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm look to do a first-time modded play-through and wanted to get some clarification- it sounds like from the OP that I'll need FOMM to manage the loading of mod packages...but from some more recent posts I read a number of people downplaying the value of FOMM. As a new modder, should I stick with FOMM, or is there something more stable and user-friendly out there that's just not in the OP?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

DeclaredYuppie posted:

I'm look to do a first-time modded play-through and wanted to get some clarification- it sounds like from the OP that I'll need FOMM to manage the loading of mod packages...but from some more recent posts I read a number of people downplaying the value of FOMM. As a new modder, should I stick with FOMM, or is there something more stable and user-friendly out there that's just not in the OP?

The only alternative to FOMM I know of is the Nexus Mod Manager, which I've never used and never plan to. I'd go ahead and just use FOMM.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What about Mod Organizer?

(I'd go with Mod Organizer, it's a bit messy but you won't have to re-install if you truly truly truly gently caress up your game)

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Someone said earlier on that a lot of New Vegas mods seem to rely on FOMOD installer features that Mod Organizer doesn't support. I haven't tried it with New Vegas though, so your mileage may vary.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I used the Nexus manager without any particular issue. There are such things as a few certain mods that require FOMM or such but I did not run into any that I wanted at the time. I had a few dozen installed, too.

Edit: There were a handful I had to install manually though.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

You should use FOMM, Wrye and FNVEdit. NMM and MO both have some problems.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Giggily posted:

The only alternative to FOMM I know of is the Nexus Mod Manager, which I've never used and never plan to. I'd go ahead and just use FOMM.

SplitSoul posted:

You should use FOMM, Wrye and FNVEdit. NMM and MO both have some problems.

I thought the NMM was just a repackaging of all of the other Mod Managers into a single executable? What exactly makes them different from each other?

I've never used NMM but I'm curious as to why it wouldn't work as intended when it's basically just FOMM in a bigger package.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I use the Nexus Mod Manager, because a while back I thought the merge was legitimately the wave of the future or something. FOMM might be better in some small ways, but I've never ever encountered any issue that I wouldn't have with the individuals mod managers, so I'm gonna keep on using it (for both FONV and Skyrim).

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Mod Organizer in my experince didn't work well with some mods for FNV, and failed to work with FNVedit at all. I don't think it can handle fomod scripts well either. I'm no fan of it. Don't care for NMM either, FOMM 4 lyfe.

Fereydun: Did you install the patch as well?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

SpookyLizard posted:

Mod Organizer in my experince didn't work well with some mods for FNV, and failed to work with FNVedit at all. I don't think it can handle fomod scripts well either. I'm no fan of it. Don't care for NMM either, FOMM 4 lyfe.

Same here. It's like the Linux of mod managers; apparently awesome potential and versatility, but relatively speaking not very user-friendly (fomod hassles, etc.). Since I have a simpler, easier alternative that does everything I want/need (YMMV), I'll happily go with that alternative.

That said, I can't wait to see what becomes of MO once it's had more time to mature. I could definitely see it becoming an awesome powerhouse new standard.

2013 YEAR OF MOD ORGANIZER ON THE DESKTOP :suspense:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It took me a good minute to realise you meant Your Mileage May Vary.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
YMMMMV

Your Mod Managing Method May Vary

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Trustworthy posted:

I use the Nexus Mod Manager, because a while back I thought the merge was legitimately the wave of the future or something. FOMM might be better in some small ways, but I've never ever encountered any issue that I wouldn't have with the individuals mod managers, so I'm gonna keep on using it (for both FONV and Skyrim).

FOMM works for Skyrim too?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Merry Magpie posted:

FOMM works for Skyrim too?

No, sorry, I worded that sentence awkwardly. I use Nexus Mod Manager for both.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I use Mod Organizer and haven't had any problem with FNVEdit or, for that matter, anything, aside from the fact that it doesn't like .fomod files, but just rename them to .rar or whatever it and it works just fine. Just keep in mind you have to run FNVEdit/BOSS/NVSE/etc through Mod Organizer, not separately, or else it won't see your mods.

I still run into lots of trouble with lagging and eventual freezing/crashing of NV, though. I have 2GB of RAM, but should I install the 4GB-aware patch anyway? It seems to most often happen when I'm going from inside to outside.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

taiyoko posted:

I use Mod Organizer and haven't had any problem with FNVEdit or, for that matter, anything, aside from the fact that it doesn't like .fomod files, but just rename them to .rar or whatever it and it works just fine. Just keep in mind you have to run FNVEdit/BOSS/NVSE/etc through Mod Organizer, not separately, or else it won't see your mods.

I still run into lots of trouble with lagging and eventual freezing/crashing of NV, though. I have 2GB of RAM, but should I install the 4GB-aware patch anyway? It seems to most often happen when I'm going from inside to outside.

If all you have is 2 GB of RAM, then the 4GB patch won't do anything. Crashing when moving between cells isn't a problem specific to running out of memory, however. It's something that can happen, especially if you're using a weather mod. If you're crashing regularly (25-30 minutes), that would be an issue linked to running out of RAM.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Fomods are just renamed archive files (not sure of the specific encoding is .rar format or what though), as far as I know. Still irritating when it still won't handle perfectly fine mods that FOMM can handle, regardless of what the archive is called.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Fomods are 7zip. MO is great for skyrim but FOMM is still king for Fallout.

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

MO and FOMM aren't even comparable. Seriously. Neither is objectively better than the other for Fallout. I'd never go back to FOMM but I'd also never suggest someone new to mods use MO. It literally just depends what you want to do and how much experience modding you have. And it doesn't matter.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Have any of you guys played this quest, and if so was it any good? It seems interesting, but some of the tester's notes are a bit disconcerting ("ARMOR PIERCING ROUNDS AND STIMPAKS").

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Quick CASM question:

I started using CASM a while back, and set it to cycle through like 30 saves. Over time, am I still going to have the same issue with bloat that I've gathered comes along with using the vanilla quicksave/auto-save options (but, I suppose, 30 times slower)? Should I be using as large of a number of saves as possible to slow this effect, or does CASM completely skirt this issue?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Trustworthy posted:

Quick CASM question:

I started using CASM a while back, and set it to cycle through like 30 saves. Over time, am I still going to have the same issue with bloat that I've gathered comes along with using the vanilla quicksave/auto-save options (but, I suppose, 30 times slower)? Should I be using as large of a number of saves as possible to slow this effect, or does CASM completely skirt this issue?

Savegame bloat is a result of badly made mods and/or non-despawning ash piles, IIRC.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

The quicksave/autosave doesn't cause bloating. Badly made mods and things that aren't cleaned up properly (ash piles for examples) do. What they can cause is crashing and save game corruption, especially on heavily modded instals.
If having 30 saves works for you, go for it. All that means is that you have more back up saves. You can experience slowdown if you keep a lot of saves though, so if you notice that delete a couple and set CASM to cycle through less.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

SplitSoul posted:

Savegame bloat is a result of badly made mods and/or non-despawning ash piles, IIRC.

I swear I've read posts in this thread talking about how horrible it is to use the default quicksave. Maybe it's not a bloat issue, then, but simply a savegame corruption issue? Anyway I think my question stands: Does CASM eliminate any issues with vanilla quicksave/autosave, or does it just stave off the inevitable?

Edit: ^^^Beaten; that pretty much answers my question then.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Trustworthy posted:

Does CASM eliminate any issues with vanilla quicksave/autosave, or does it just stave off the inevitable?

Eliminates, in my experience. Splitsoul is generally correct as to why most saves get bloated, but there is a quicksave/autosave bug with Gamebryo that CASM avoids. There's been a quicksave bug reported in FO3, FONV, and Skyrim, so there's gotta be something going on.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Everyone should be using this for their ash and goo piles anyway.

edit: while we're on the subject, what other small fix mods do people recommend? Travelling Merchant Fix is the only other one I really use.

Rabhadh fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 7, 2013

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

But yeah, to clarify, the default quick- and autosaving system is garbage and you should disable it and use CASM instead, since it basically makes full, named saves instead.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, the vanilla autosave sucks not because it makes bad saves, it sucks just because it's loving useless.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SpookyLizard posted:

Yeah, the vanilla autosave sucks not because it makes bad saves, it sucks just because it's loving useless.

That, too, but it's my understanding that they also corrupt pretty easily compared to full saves.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I've never had a corruption with CASM. Then again I've never had a corruption with New Vegas ever.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I remember a while ago someone posted a link to a New Vegas/Fallout 3 mod of some high quality retextures of miscellaneous items and clutter. Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Gyshall posted:

I remember a while ago someone posted a link to a New Vegas/Fallout 3 mod of some high quality retextures of miscellaneous items and clutter. Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

Yes. I think they might be FO3 mods. check my post history to when I'm asking about fancy hires things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
In case anybody wondered, I fixed the problem. I think that the issue is that I may have deleted the Arenovalis retexture folders and forgot to add it back in. Uninstalled, deleted the FNV folder and then reinstalled and the problem was fixed. Having a total blast with Robco certified.