Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Would English Breakfast work for tea eggs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
I did some frying yesterday (non-meat) in an enameled Dutch oven and, being lazy/anticipating doing more today just lidded it up and stowed it in the back burner. A. Is it kosher to just fire it up again in a bit and B. how long can I get away with keeping that oil and re-using it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Until it smells rancid

If you want it to last longer, pour it through a paper towel filter between each frying session

If it stays really dark even after filtering, I'd toss it as well

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

Steve Yun posted:

Until it smells rancid

If you want it to last longer, pour it through a paper towel filter between each frying session

If it stays really dark even after filtering, I'd toss it as well

Thanks. Frying meat will accelerate that process/make filtering mandatory, correct?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

King Bahamut posted:

Thanks. Frying meat will accelerate that process/make filtering mandatory, correct?

Yes. Meat will drop a lot of proteins in its liquid which will turn brown and burn. So will frying breading, especially if you use a dry flour dredge. Batters tend to keep the oil cleaner.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Scientastic posted:

Fantastic! I have some new dinosaur-shaped cutters, so this is perfect.

However, the amount of tea I have will probably make a billion cookies, so any other ideas are appreciated.

Infuse some vodka and/or brandy with it.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
A couple of days ago in Barcelona, I went to this african restaurant and had a dish called "thieby djeuné" or something. Emphasis on "or something", because Google brought up nil.

It was basically white rice cooked in some brown liquid, plus vegetables and fish. Didn't really taste that mind-blowing, but I couldn't figure out the spices used for that rice, so I'd like to see a recipe. By african I mean sub-Sahara, not sure if it's regional or tied to a specific country.

Thei
Apr 17, 2012

Won't somebody think of the tentacles?!

midnightclimax posted:

A couple of days ago in Barcelona, I went to this african restaurant and had a dish called "thieby djeuné" or something. Emphasis on "or something", because Google brought up nil.

It was basically white rice cooked in some brown liquid, plus vegetables and fish. Didn't really taste that mind-blowing, but I couldn't figure out the spices used for that rice, so I'd like to see a recipe. By african I mean sub-Sahara, not sure if it's regional or tied to a specific country.

That's pretty vague.

I mean, what is it that makes you say it was sub-Saharan rather than north Africa? Do you know what kind of fish was in it?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Thei posted:

That's pretty vague.

I mean, what is it that makes you say it was sub-Saharan rather than north Africa? Do you know what kind of fish was in it?

Because the names of the dishes reminded me of what little I know about sub-saharan french-based creole languages. I'll keep trying different combinations, maybe I'll just google the rice.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

midnightclimax posted:

Which african place did you go to? I live in bcn, and am always looking or new things to try! I've tried the Sengal place and also the ethiopian place in gracia.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

DreddyMatt posted:

Which african place did you go to? I live in bcn, and am always looking or new things to try! I've tried the Sengal place and also the ethiopian place in gracia.

It was in Raval. I tried googling "african restaurant raval", but don't think it's one of those featured here: http://www.tripadvisor.de/Restaurants-g187497-c1-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

EDIT: Found it. It's "Thiébou Djeun" from Senegal. Apparently the rice is cooked in fish stock and then fried (plus at some point they add tamarind).

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 7, 2013

Squidder
Mar 19, 2003

King of the Cat Tree

Oven Wrangler

Scientastic posted:

Can anyone think of any uses for loose tea (English Breakfast), other than making tea with it?

You could try Earl Grey Tea Muffins with the English Breakfast, I bet they'd be great! Another good thing is that they freeze really well so you could have a weekend of muffining then just grab them as needed.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I tend to make impulse buys when I see stuff on sale...

So, saw a package of beautiful prepped Smelts for $4. I don't have a drat clue what to do with them other than the obvious, which is apparently to put a light batter on them and pan fry them, then spritz some lemon. Maybe the simplest option is the best? I've been poking around for stuff to do with Smelts and haven't found much else.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Scientastic posted:

Fantastic! I have some new dinosaur-shaped cutters, so this is perfect.

However, the amount of tea I have will probably make a billion cookies, so any other ideas are appreciated.

You could make simple syrup with it, I bet that would be kind of yummy. Or frosting. And try drinking it iced, I find I drink much more tea when it's iced tea. Oooh, and make some arnold palmers with fresh lemonade. I've always wanted to do that with some good tea.

edit: Adagio Teas hosts a site about cooking with tea: http://www.teachef.com/ No English Breakfast recipes that I saw, but I'm sure at least some of the ideas would apply.

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 7, 2013

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
So, because google doesn't really tell me much - I bought some hamburger meat probably last week (sell by date of 12/31). It was frozen well before then. I took it out this morning (probably 10am ish), and just opened it to make hamburgers (it's 6:30 pm here). No strong odors, but the inside is brown/gray. Google says something about oxygen and that it should be good, however the government website said that it could be starting to go bad. I'm sure I'm just paranoid, but it's still good to eat, correct?

ETA: It's about 50 something here, and the heat isn't on, so it's been cool enough to not have to worry about cooking/heating up.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 7, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Lullabee posted:

So, because google doesn't really tell me much - I bought some hamburger meat probably last week (sell by date of 12/31). It was frozen well before then. I took it out this morning (probably 10am ish), and just opened it to make hamburgers (it's 6:30 pm here). No strong odors, but the inside is brown/gray. Google says something about oxygen and that it should be good, however the government website said that it could be starting to go bad. I'm sure I'm just paranoid, but it's still good to eat, correct?

It's fine. Most meat is unnaturally red anyway.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

tarepanda posted:

It's fine. Most meat is unnaturally red anyway.

Figured, thank you! :)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
The shop didn't have any cheesecloth so I ended up cutting a square out of a white t-shirt I'd never worn, it worked well enough and the ravioli went down a treat. In relation to the tea discussion my friend made some tea smoked duck which was delicious.

Lord Psychodin
Jun 16, 2007
Lord of the fools

:dukedog:
College Slice
So I find myself with five pounds of frozen pollock ready for dredging and cooking. What's the best way to go about this? I'm okay at cooking but lack a deep fryer.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BlueGrot posted:

Yes, the city of towers, baguettes and all things equally phallic. I'm spending over a week there in July and was wondering if anybody knows some must-eats there. Looking for both casual french food and some nicer places to take my gf who paid for the entire trip.

Yesterday I saw an episode of The Layover with Anthony Bourdain on the Travel Channel and he spent the whole time in Paris. It was an amazing episode and you have until July to track it down - do it! Seriously! Some of those places he went to look ridiculous.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Lord Psychodin posted:

So I find myself with five pounds of frozen pollock ready for dredging and cooking. What's the best way to go about this? I'm okay at cooking but lack a deep fryer.

If you have a pot you have a deep fryer.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Psychodin posted:

I'm a big fan of this episode of Good Eats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n9lOkli_gw

I made some catfish like that and it was delicious.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
I was trying to blacken some catfish filets the other day, and I'm not sure if I'm cooking them for too long or not long enough. Each filet is maybe a little less than half a pound and its got quite a thickness going on further up the filet.

I was using an aluminum pan up on medium-high heat with a bit of canola oil and the filets slathered in blackening seasoning. I did maybe three minutes a side, a minute longer than I did on my test run. The test run I've done at my house could be cut easily with a fork at the thinner end but got a little tougher up to the thicker part but not much so. When I went to my friend's house, I tried to do a minute longer and some filets came out even tougher than I had them before. Someone said I've might of made them overcooked, so on my own filet I did it a minute shorter and mine came out what I thought was undercooked.

Maybe I've been undercooking them, but how can I tell I get them right? Should I use high heat? Four or five minutes a side? Does catfish even get tough if I overcook them? I'm new to cooking really so bear with me please :(

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012
This is a bit of an emergency. Lets see how many of you guys are on this late.

I bought a crockpot a week ago and have been loving it. I modified an online recipe to come up with this:

2 potatos slice, salted and peppered
Bunch of chopped garlic
Some cheese on top
1 Large chicken breast wrapped in 5 slices of bacon.

I cooked it on high for 6 hours. Its cooking for additional time now because while the chicken is fully cooked the bacon looks only maybe halfway there. I may just pull the bacon off and finish it in a frying pan.

How does this even happen though? Everything is wrapped in aluminum foil.

EDIT the bacon looks kinda half cooked, or rubbery. Definitely not crispy.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Black Cat posted:

This is a bit of an emergency. Lets see how many of you guys are on this late.

I bought a crockpot a week ago and have been loving it. I modified an online recipe to come up with this:

2 potatos slice, salted and peppered
Bunch of chopped garlic
Some cheese on top
1 Large chicken breast wrapped in 5 slices of bacon.

I cooked it on high for 6 hours. Its cooking for additional time now because while the chicken is fully cooked the bacon looks only maybe halfway there. I may just pull the bacon off and finish it in a frying pan.

How does this even happen though? Everything is wrapped in aluminum foil.

EDIT the bacon looks kinda half cooked, or rubbery. Definitely not crispy.

Bacon requires high heat with not much moisture to crisp. Like in a frying pan or in an oven. If you're shoving uncooked bacon in a crockpot, you're never gonne get the bacon dry enough or hot enough to crisp properly. :barf:

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

Bacon requires high heat with not much moisture to crisp. Like in a frying pan or in an oven. If you're shoving uncooked bacon in a crockpot, you're never gonne get the bacon dry enough or hot enough to crisp properly. :barf:

Its crisped up before when I've broken it apart and put the bits all over the potatoes. I'm going to take it out and fry the bacon part. But yes at the moment its very :barf:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

So...you are using the crock pot without liquid? Kind of like a countertop oven? I've never heard of using it that way.

It crisped up when you put it on the potatoes because that part is exposed to air and lets the moisture evaporate. When you wrap it up in foil all the moisture just chills out on the foil and then drips back down into the bacon. This is why foil-wrapped fish is a thing, because fish can dry out easily.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
What can I prepare in 1 or 2 days that will have some variety and last me 4 or 5 days?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
whole roasted chicken or braised pork shoulder. season either very simply with salt pepper onion garlic and use the cooked meat for sandwiches, pasta, fried rice, enchiladas, burritos, tacos, savory pies, etc.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Momofuku's pulled pork is amazingly easy and tasty. It's simple but not bland and works great with a lot of different flavors (but tacos are obviously the best so just make a ton of tacos).

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
Can you cook bacon in a toaster bag? I tried google but it gave me conflicting advice, and none from a decent source.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
No. Use a pan.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What...what the hell is a toaster bag?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I think it's a bag that you put sandwiches in so you can cook them in the toaster without dripping cheese and stuff onto the coils. But a pan on the stove is pretty good at cooking those too.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Yeah, don't cook bacon in anything covered like a bag. Pan fry it if you are just doing a few pieces or if you want to cook a lot at once, you can line a baking sheet with foil and bake the bacon. Anywhere from 350-400 F will work, I think it usually takes 15-25 minutes with my oven, just keep an eye on it and pull it when it is as crisp as you like. No need to preheat the oven, just stick the bacon in and turn the oven on. No need to flip.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also, microwave bacon is doable, but time and power level really vary depending on the microwave. I used to do use it all the time growing up, but now I'm strictly an oven guy. Cook it like mich said and never look back. Also, by starting it in a cold oven you reduce the curling, so not only do you save time, you improve it.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
The nice thing about cooking a pound of bacon in the oven is that you can freeze all the leftovers you have in a ziploc bag. When you just want a couple of pieces for a sandwich or something you can just wrap them in paper towel and nuke them for 20-30 seconds. I'd rather have freshly cooked, but if I'm just making up a quick sandwich I don't necessarily want to take up the time/dirty pan to cook two pieces of bacon.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Would someone care to give the recipe for their favorite pizza sauce please?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Good fresh summer tomatoes, sliced thin.

Failing that, blitz some good canned San Marzanos in a blender and top with salt and oregano after it's on the dough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
Wow thanks. I used to pan fry them but as ChetReckless said dirtying a frying pan for 2 pieces is a bit much and often I'm stretched for time, so I guess baking in foil in the oven and freezing is the way to go. Never would have thought of cooking from a cool oven. Cheers.

Toaster bags are basically a bag made out of baking parchment so you can put anything in the toaster without making a mess. works for sandwiches but also pizza slices and such like. The manufacturer recommends salmon but I've never tried it.