Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ihmemies posted:

Windows is supposed to automatically update all the software serviced by Windows Update. Do you have automatic updates enabled?

No, I have them set to either download or just notify me without installing. Am old habit, perhaps, but I like to see what's being updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tc1992
Feb 21, 2011
can anyone recommend an email alert programme (i use hotmail).
i used to use Windows Live Messenger. it was perfect in that when i got a new email it gave me a sound alert, and a little pop up window in bottom right of screen telling me who the email was from

now that they are stopping Messneger, there is now Live Mail, but that only gives a sound alert.

i tried X-notifier with firefox, but it gave me problems as i use a lot of hotmail accounts, and i could not log into them (apart from the main one i desiginated)

anything as close to possible as to what Messenger offered would be great. i'm on XP .

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

hooah posted:

No, I have them set to either download or just notify me without installing. Am old habit, perhaps, but I like to see what's being updated.

Create a scheduled task to run "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe -SignatureUpdate". This will automatically update signatures which will effectively clear Windows Defender entries from Windows Update. I have it set up to run periodically & indefinitely after log on.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Factor Mystic posted:

Create a scheduled task to run "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe -SignatureUpdate". This will automatically update signatures which will effectively clear Windows Defender entries from Windows Update. I have it set up to run periodically & indefinitely after log on.

This is excellent, thanks. It is so annoying having to choose between auto updates being on and AV not being updated.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

The Slippery Nipple posted:

I'm new to Windows and just got my first PC a few weeks ago (Lenovo T430). Ever since I got it it has said there are updates available for downloading, and to shut down so it can update. Whenever I shut down it says it downloads the updates, but when I start it up it says that updating failed. This really annoying as it means it takes about 5-10 minutes to shut down because of the 'updates'.

There's a bug in one of the running services that causes the update to fail. I believe it was the nitropdf software that comes with it pre installed. Basically the license service remains running and win update will abort since it doesnt quit. Been a while, but google for it. Every T430 is affected.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't see a good thread for this so I'll try here.

My boss has decided that he wants to make a screensaver for everyone to use, to better identify our part of the office (we share with our parent company and random people often try to steal our spare desks). I suggested that we just throw our logo up as an image but apparently that isn't swanky enough for him. He wants something like a short flash video that shows our logo, tagline, maybe the product artwork or whatever. He found some random terrible-looking app that claims to do this but I'm wary of that kind of random shareware stuff.

Can anyone recommend a thing for this? Also is there anything that would let us build it without having to create a flash video, something like Powerpoint but for screensavers? I'm a C#/Java developer but I've never touched Flash and I'd rather not have to learn it just for this one tiny project.

Any ideas would be great, thanks.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Does it need to do anything Flash-like, with fancy poo poo flying around everywhere? Or is it just a slideshow?

Also this might or might not be useful
http://www.harding.edu/fmccown/screensaver/screensaver.html
You'll be the most popular developer in the company!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

Does it need to do anything Flash-like, with fancy poo poo flying around everywhere? Or is it just a slideshow?

Also this might or might not be useful
http://www.harding.edu/fmccown/screensaver/screensaver.html
You'll be the most popular developer in the company!
Holy poo poo that actually appears to be incredibly simple. Yeah he wants animations, nothing too complex but some fading/sliding I think. But this is great, making poo poo fly around in .NET, this is going to be glorious.

I am the only developer in this office (UK satellite of a US-based company) so my boss is going to love me and everyone else can suck it.

Thanks!

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I bought a new copy of Win7 Pro and I'm going to bootcamp on an iMac (when it arrives) and install all the drivers then winclone it to an ssd so I can run Win7 from an external SSD. My question is: this is the OEM version so I know it locks to a mobo. If I do this will I be able to boot this version of windows from my laptop in addition to my imac or will it only boot from the computer that activated it?

If it will only boot to the computer that activated it is there a way to setup 2 keys in the same install/partition of windows?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tunga posted:

Holy poo poo that actually appears to be incredibly simple. Yeah he wants animations, nothing too complex but some fading/sliding I think. But this is great, making poo poo fly around in .NET, this is going to be glorious.

I am the only developer in this office (UK satellite of a US-based company) so my boss is going to love me and everyone else can suck it.

Thanks!

No probs! Now the only question is exactly how much like a 'movie computer system' do you make it, to impress him the most? Beep boop welcome to International Systems, accessing login databanks, welcome back Paul

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded
Does anybody know of some simple software for windows to graph 3d lines/curves? Not sure if this is the place to post it. I don't want to graph functions like a graphing calculator can. I have a table of simple cartesian coordinates I want to view and rotate. I'm talking two tables of x,y,z and I want to see how the lines look in relation to one another. This isnt complex. There must be something like this, my google fu is weak...

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

No probs! Now the only question is exactly how much like a 'movie computer system' do you make it, to impress him the most? Beep boop welcome to International Systems, accessing login databanks, welcome back Paul
I went for something a little different. My test screensaver features two of the stock Windows images, of penguins and tulips. Then the penguins disappear and in flies the text "gently caress penguins, hooray for tulips!". Going to show my boss on Monday.

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Until then I need your help
figuring out the logistics!

Vomik posted:

I bought a new copy of Win7 Pro and I'm going to bootcamp on an iMac (when it arrives) and install all the drivers then winclone it to an ssd so I can run Win7 from an external SSD. My question is: this is the OEM version so I know it locks to a mobo. If I do this will I be able to boot this version of windows from my laptop in addition to my imac or will it only boot from the computer that activated it?

If it will only boot to the computer that activated it is there a way to setup 2 keys in the same install/partition of windows?

It _might_ boot, but it will probably immediately afterward demand re-activation. You are only allowed to do this sparingly...so no, unfortunately what you want isn't too practical.

If your need for windows is not for graphical applications (say you just need quickbooks for windows or some other windows specific app) you could install it on the mac that is stationary and then RDP to it from the portable mac. Microsoft's RDP client for mac is pretty slick and is pretty high performance.

I do this all the time. I work from many different machines, almost always have an internet connection even when on the go (yay LTE), and so i have a stupidly powerful server at home running several copies of a few different operating systems I need (windows xp, windows 7, windows 8, some flavors of linux). I can then pull up (via rdp, vnc, ssh, or whatever suits the present need) resources from any of them whenever I want, from whatever machine I'm using.

Not for all users, but as a power user (IT guy by day) it is valuable for my laptop of choice (macbook air) and tablet (microsoft surface) to, with just a few clicks, become a quad core xeon box running whatever os I desire at that moment.

EDIT: The solution!

Duh. I was having a stupidity moment. If you install your copy of windows into a program like VMware Fusion instead of bare via bootcamp drivers you have a way way better chance of this working as you desire. Just install Fusion on each mac, store the virtual machine of windows on a portable drive, and fire it up wherever you need it. This will work perfectly for just about anything but high end games. The only thing that might screw you up is if the macs have drastically different processor families, since virtualizing is pretty transparent these days. If they're somewhat similar macs then your virtual copy of windows can be installed legit and probably will not gripe about licensing.

chedemefedeme fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 6, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hi, I have which is hopefully a quick and easy question about installing Win7 OEM on a laptop. I did a read of the OP and didn't really see anything for my situation.

A relative of mine passed away a couple weeks ago. I recovered her laptop. It's a pretty basic Levano. It is a reasonably new bare bones laptop, but absolutely loaded with crap software. I think she was one of those people that clicked on pretty much any link that was flashing in the browser to download for PC scans, or whatever. Anyhow, I'd like to wipe windows and do a fresh install (Not a re-install from the hidden drive partition, I want to get rid of the OEM junk too).

ANYHOW, the laptop is Win 7 Home Premium x64. I believe I have the proper OEM Home Premium DVD I burned from an ISO from Digital River. Is it as simple as doing a boot from the DVD and using the Windows key on the bottom of the laptop? Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

slidebite posted:

Hi, I have which is hopefully a quick and easy question about installing Win7 OEM on a laptop. I did a read of the OP and didn't really see anything for my situation.

A relative of mine passed away a couple weeks ago. I recovered her laptop. It's a pretty basic Levano. It is a reasonably new bare bones laptop, but absolutely loaded with crap software. I think she was one of those people that clicked on pretty much any link that was flashing in the browser to download for PC scans, or whatever. Anyhow, I'd like to wipe windows and do a fresh install (Not a re-install from the hidden drive partition, I want to get rid of the OEM junk too).

ANYHOW, the laptop is Win 7 Home Premium x64. I believe I have the proper OEM Home Premium DVD I burned from an ISO from Digital River. Is it as simple as doing a boot from the DVD and using the Windows key on the bottom of the laptop? Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks!

You should be fine with that, as long as it's the same version. You MIGHT have to call Microsoft to activate it but that's a 5 minute call so no worries.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks. Will give it a try in the coming days.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
What is the best remote desktop software out there that doesn't require ports open/forwarded on the router?

I need to fix a relatives computer and I've only ever used enterprisy stuff like RDP, VNC, etc. I don't want to walk him through opening ports on his router so I need a free software that he can initiate the session and I can connect to his computer with it.

Basically, something like GoToMeeting but free.

edit: and preferably doesn't require client side installation (but I'll take what I can get)

edit 2: Never mind, a friend just informed me about Team Viewer. This does exactly what I want.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 7, 2013

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

IT Guy posted:

What is the best remote desktop software out there that doesn't require ports open/forwarded on the router?

I need to fix a relatives computer and I've only ever used enterprisy stuff like RDP, VNC, etc. I don't want to walk him through opening ports on his router so I need a free software that he can initiate the session and I can connect to his computer with it.

edit: and preferably doesn't require client side installation (but I'll take what I can get)

edit 2: Never mind, a friend just informed me about Team Viewer. This does exactly what I want.

Hah, was gonna say TeamViewer then read the edit2 :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IT Guy posted:

There's also Join.me.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Looking for a replacement Image Viewer/Browser but the current batch of Picasa-like ones aren't working for me.

I've been using the ancient ACDSee Classic for a long time now and there's several things it does behavior-wise that I really need a match for.

1. Drag and drop images to browse them. FastStone doesn't seem to support grabbing a set of pictures and dropping it into the program. IrfanView seems to open all of them in sequence and stop at the last one, forgetting all the previous ones.
2. Select several files in Explorer or a similar program and drop (or maybe context menu) into the viewer so you'll see just those images in a sequence. IrfanView seems to go to the next image in the folder instead of cycling among only the images you selected. Some others I've tried seem to work but when they get to the end of the selected files they continue browsing from the last folder. Picasa lets you drag files into it but doesn't know to stop browsing beyond the four images you've selected.

Having a hard time finding an image browser that I can just find files and drag and drop to view them. It seems the databasing trend is all the rage but I use too many removable drives that the databasing just slows things down. That and I spend very little time looking at thumbnails and more time just scrolling through images I've selected from other search tools.

Any ideas?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Does anyone know if Office 2013 will be available on the Home Use Program through Volume License customers, just as Office 2010 is at the moment?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Does anyone know if Office 2013 will be available on the Home Use Program through Volume License customers, just as Office 2010 is at the moment?

I don't see why it wouldn't.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

GreenNight posted:

I don't see why it wouldn't.

I think it's less to do with whether or not Microsoft will offer it, and more to do with whether or not your company takes part in the offer.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Are there any official download links for Office Professional Plus 2010? I do have a legit key and would rather stay away from torrents.

iLikeMidgets fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 8, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

iLikeMidgets posted:

Are there any official download links for Office Professional Plus 2010? I do have a legit key and would rather stay away from torrents.
This looks like what you need:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/microsoft-office-2010-backup-FX101853122.aspx

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

When is office 2013 due? I need to take a university office course, but want to make sure I enroll before Office 2013 becomes necessary software.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's already out. I use it at home and in the office.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

GreenNight posted:

It's already out. I use it at home and in the office.

There's a beta out publicly and the final release is available on Technet/MSDN (I think? I don't have it), but Wikipedia says the final version is not going to reach "general availability" until Q1 2013 (now through end of March).

slidebite posted:

When is office 2013 due? I need to take a university office course, but want to make sure I enroll before Office 2013 becomes necessary software.

What do you mean by "necessary software"? As far as I can tell, it'll be 5+ years before Office 2013 could possibly be considered necessary over 2010.

Edit: Oh I get it now. Seems like it would be a dumb decision to require Office 2013 right as it's released for such a course.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 9, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I didn't know it was out already. :aaa:

And yeah, the U seems to change the required software pretty quickly. The change from 2007 to 2010 was with virtually no notice shortly after launch (its an online course, so it's not like they wait until the end of a semester to migrate). I'd better sign up soon then as I don't want to have to blow the money for 2013 just for a course.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I'm wondering if anyone else has run into a message saying "Build 7601 This copy of Windows is not genuine" in the past two days. I've rolled back to an earlier version of my system (9th of January) and that seems to have fixed it, so I'm pretty confident it was one of the latest updates that did this. Just wondering if anyone knows which update so I can prevent this error while updating.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Elliptical Dick posted:

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into a message saying "Build 7601 This copy of Windows is not genuine" in the past two days. I've rolled back to an earlier version of my system (9th of January) and that seems to have fixed it, so I'm pretty confident it was one of the latest updates that did this. Just wondering if anyone knows which update so I can prevent this error while updating.

This may be an obvious question...but is the version genuine? Is it a possiblity that you are, for example, using an OEM copy that's tied to another motherboard?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

slidebite posted:

I didn't know it was out already. :aaa:

And yeah, the U seems to change the required software pretty quickly. The change from 2007 to 2010 was with virtually no notice shortly after launch (its an online course, so it's not like they wait until the end of a semester to migrate). I'd better sign up soon then as I don't want to have to blow the money for 2013 just for a course.

If the course is short enough, you could also probably use a trial version of 2013 and then revert to the copy of 2010 that you have when it's done. Right now there's a 60-day trial available, which starts when you activate it. I can't guarantee that this exact trial program will continue after GA, but there's usually a 30-day trial of Office, and with 2010 there were ways to extend that significantly.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Thanks but that didn't work. Before you can download you need to enter the serial number. It tells me the number is invalid. So I took the plunge and downloaded a an iso from thepiratebay that had the x86/64 version. Tried to activate it but that didn't work either. Uninstalled it and searched until I found a link from digital river. It was an exe file.
Installed and it activated! What the hell?
My serial number is a student key from my school. I'm sure that I made a difference but I'm still baffled at why it would activate only on a certain version?

I:
Tried to activate the trial version of Office on my laptop. Didn't activate.
Tried to download from the link above.
Downloaded an iso
Downloaded an exe before it finally activated.

iLikeMidgets fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 10, 2013

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Anyone know a good epub reader for Windows?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

IT Guy posted:

Calibre or the Sony viewer.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

IT Guy posted:

Calibre bundles one, but if you don't want all the library-management stuff you can try SumatraPDF (it reads a lot more than PDFs).

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Medullah posted:

This may be an obvious question...but is the version genuine? Is it a possiblity that you are, for example, using an OEM copy that's tied to another motherboard?

Well, I bought this PC 2 and a half years ago with windows vista installed and a Windows 7 upgrade kit. I upgraded to Windows 7 as soon as it was available and have never had this issue before.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I wasn't able to find this in five minutes of googling, so I figured I'd ask you guys:

I have a Skype ID and a MSN/Windows Live Messenger ID. WLM is going away forever, and Microsoft wants me to merge the two accounts. However... do I get to keep my Skype ID? Or is everything subsumed in favour of my WLM ID?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I wasn't able to find this in five minutes of googling, so I figured I'd ask you guys:

I have a Skype ID and a MSN/Windows Live Messenger ID. WLM is going away forever, and Microsoft wants me to merge the two accounts. However... do I get to keep my Skype ID? Or is everything subsumed in favour of my WLM ID?
If I remember correctly you connect your WLM account to Skype, so your Skype username will remain while your WLM username will go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I don't know if anyone else uses f.lux, but I do. Well, did.

See, I love it to death, but the goddamn thing is hard-coded to switch color settings at sunset. This is profoundly stupid. IT IS WINTER RIGHT NOW, the sun sets at loving 4:30, 4:30 is not bedtime. I've had to turn it off entirely and that makes me sad.

Is there any hack to add the very basic option of just telling flux when bedtime and wake-up time are manually, instead of being synched to the sun? And if not, anyone know a similar product that has enough common sense to let you do that?