Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chaltab posted:

Whether that image hurts the sales of M-Rated games on their consoles is another thing. Seems to me like the bigger problem is that the M-Rated games that made it to Wii were generally more niche (No More Heroes), terrible (Manhunt 2) or scaled down versions of HD releases (Call of Duty 4-8)*

Or all three, hello Dead Rising!

*which actually sold fairly well, IIRC

This only really applies to the M-rated games on the Wii. The ones on the Gamecube and N64 did pretty well for releases on those platforms (the Resident Evil games being the king of those), but the console itself was the problem there. The thing is that the problem hasn't been Nintendo's policies for twenty years and yet every time an M-rated game comes out for a Nintendo platform people start saying, "Wow, Nintendo finally let up on their censorship!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Soul Glo posted:

Well, I think it is.

Hey that's great, stop acting like it's some sort of predetermined fact. My you're ornery.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

quote:

The thing is that the problem hasn't been Nintendo's policies for twenty years and yet every time an M-rated game comes out for a Nintendo platform people start saying, "Wow, Nintendo finally let up on their censorship!"

I have to chuckle at that, considering I spent my preteen years smearing the walls red in Perfect Dark.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
^ Eternal Darkness is for real one of the scariest games I ever played, and that was a hard M on a Nintendo system... :getin:

It's nice that you have a computer that you can comfortably play games on. Not everyone has that. If you're going to insist on objectivity you need to remember not everyone has your sweet rig, bro!

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Well, I think it is. But it's your money to throw away, so go right ahead. The thing is, a lot of other people might value their dollars more than you and would want to be told.

Are you really incapable of seeing that thought objectively, detached from your own viewpoint? :psyduck:

Besides all the things you complain about, how are you enjoying your Wii U otherwise?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Mo0 posted:

It's nice that you have a computer that you can comfortably play games on. Not everyone has that. If you're going to insist on objectivity you need to remember not everyone has your sweet rig, bro!

You don't need a sweet rig to play Scribblenauts. I'm truly sorry for pointing out something to people who obviously don't know any better because they ask about price. I promise to never attempt to help a goon again.

We need a :consolewarrior: emoticon for this thread.

Legdiian posted:

Besides all the things you complain about, how are you enjoying your Wii U otherwise?

Buying it next month with my tax return, looking forward to Mario and ZombiU! :thumbsup:.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Hey that's great, stop acting like it's some sort of predetermined fact. My you're ornery.

I think people have a right to know they're being horribly ripped off on the WiiU. If they know that and still don't care, whatever.

quote:

"Wow, Nintendo finally let up on their censorship!"
I'm pretty afraid the WiiU won't get something like GTA V. However you might've felt about GTAIV it was a gigantic game and loving everyone bought it, made a lot of money, received a lot of press, etc.

If it releases and the WiiU doesn't have it, that's a pretty big warning sign.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Soul Glo posted:

You don't need a sweet rig to play Scribblenauts. I'm truly sorry for pointing out something to people who obviously don't know any better because they ask about price. I promise to never attempt to help a goon again.

We need a :consolewarrior: emoticon for this thread.

I was more referring to how plenty of people, myself included, would rather play games on their TV, but I did a lovely job explaining that in my haste to be Internet cool. Sorry :(

It's more how you're acting like it is a Universal Constant Negative that someone would dare to spend money on the version they prefer, it doesn't read like you're trying to save money so much as shame people.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Mo0 posted:

I was more referring to how plenty of people, myself included, would rather play games on their TV, but I did a lovely job explaining that in my haste to be Internet cool. Sorry :(

It's more how you're acting like it is a Universal Constant Negative that someone would dare to spend money on the version they prefer, it doesn't read like you're trying to save money so much as shame people.

My entire point is if they know and choose to spend extra money for a feature, then fine, I won't tell anybody how to spend their money. My only notion is that they have a right to know they're being gouged if they're specifically asking about price. I'm not shilling for any console, just making the point that people deserve to know something if they ask. Sheesh.

It's not like I hang out at Walmart and start laughing derisively whenever someone wanders over towards Batman U. But if someone asked me in a store, I'd point to the cheaper version and ask if they had the platform, because that's the decent thing to do.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

I think people have a right to know they're being horribly ripped off on the WiiU. If they know that and still don't care, whatever.
There are things other than money to consider. My computer can't run Darksiders 2. It's console or nothing for me, for example. Also you can buy pretty much everything significantly cheaper on Steam than on any console, but I don't see people constantly bringing that up in other threads.

I'm definitely not paying full price for Scribblenauts, but I don't want the Steam version because it lacks the Nintendo characters. I can wait.

quote:

I'm pretty afraid the WiiU won't get something like GTA V. However you might've felt about GTAIV it was a gigantic game and loving everyone bought it, made a lot of money, received a lot of press, etc.

If it releases and the WiiU doesn't have it, that's a pretty big warning sign.
Rockstar haven't ruled it out, but... well even if it eventually comes to Wii U, it will have the same problem that the Wii U ports of old games are having now.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 7, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Chaltab posted:

but I don't want the Steam version because it lacks the Nintendo characters

They were on the Steam Workshop as user creations within hours.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Soul Glo posted:

My entire point is if they know and choose to spend extra money for a feature, then fine, I won't tell anybody how to spend their money. My only notion is that they have a right to know they're being gouged if they're specifically asking about price. I'm not shilling for any console, just making the point that people deserve to know something if they ask. Sheesh.

It's not like I hang out at Walmart and start laughing derisively whenever someone wanders over towards Batman U. But if someone asked me in a store, I'd point to the cheaper version and ask if they had the platform, because that's the decent thing to do.

Okay, fair enough, and I apologize for misinterpreting you. I can get a little antsy when I start smelling PC Master Race on people. :shobon:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chaltab posted:

Rockstar haven't ruled it out, but... well even if it eventually comes to Wii U, it will have the same problem that the Wii U ports of old games are having now.

If it actually releases at the same time as others, yes, there'll still be a big difference in numbers but it'll sell reasonably well on the WiiU.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Chaltab posted:

Also you can buy pretty much everything significantly cheaper on Steam than on any console, but I don't see people constantly bringing that up in other threads.

It doesn't really happen with most games, but considering Scribblenauts is $60 on Wii U and got as low as $7 for the PC version, that one got dragged around the internet quite a bit just because of the price disparity. It was an issue even before the sale, because it released on PC at 50% the price of the Wii U version. Plus it's not a graphically intense game. If you're posting on the forums, you probably could run it on the PC you're posting from.

I think that's why that one was touted so much.

But yeah, Darksiders 2 is a different story, being how much is going on in that game graphically, at least comparably to a sprite based 2D platformer/puzzle game.

Mo0 posted:

Okay, fair enough, and I apologize for misinterpreting you. I can get a little antsy when I start smelling PC Master Race on people. :shobon:

:hf:

I'm not trying to be completely down on the Wii U. I'm still excited for it, but I'm just an equal opportunity buyer when it comes to vidja games and which system to play them on.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 7, 2013

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

wow this conversation is really enlightening.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

I think if a big SCRIBBLENAUTS IS CHEAPER ELSEWHERE could be slipped under it's section in the OP then I think we could all kindly shut the gently caress up about how it's cheaper elsewhere and go about other business.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

ascii genitals posted:

wow this conversation is really enlightening.

I think it's over now, thankfully.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/07/why-crysis-3-isnt-happening-on-wii-u

Here's a bit of bad news. Maybe they'll get a port later but it's looking like a no show.

The TL;DR version is "It's for business/money reasons, doesn't make any sense to release on the WiiU."

The WiiU's install base is still immature and a lot of the people who would buy Crysis3 own other systems and would rather own it on those. They probably wanted to avoid putting in all the money to port it and print it, to have it only sell like a thousand copies.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Bobnumerotres posted:

Here's a bit of bad news. Maybe they'll get a port later but it's looking like a no show.

The TL;DR version is "It's for business/money reasons, doesn't make any sense to release on the WiiU."

The WiiU's install base is still immature and a lot of the people who would buy Crysis3 own other systems and would rather own it on those. They probably wanted to avoid putting in all the money to port it and print it, to have it only sell like a thousand copies.

Which is pretty super reasonable, in fact. We'll see how true that continues to be as the WiiU's install base increases over the next year or so.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Soul Glo posted:

It's not like I hang out in move theatres and start laughing derisively whenever people buy a ticket, but whenever someone expresses interest in a blockbuster I ask them if they've seen it in my hometown where it's at least $5 cheaper because that's the decent thing to do.

Oh wait, no I don't. Because that would be insane.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread that. I just got up and I have a headache. I'm leaving what I wrote because I am willing to own up to this.

Seriously, the experience can be markedly different between consoles and PCs. It doesn't make me bad with money if I sometimes want to use my new toy, or one of my older toys, over my computer with a game I got during a Steam sale for less than $5.

Friendly, topic changing edit: Has anybody been watching the AGDQ 2013 marathon? It's had some seriously great speedruns of games across all sorts of platforms. Sometimes they are hilariously glitched runs and last night the Yoshi's Island 100% run was one of the most beautiful things ever. They are raising money to fund cancer prevention and there's donation incentives; the grand prize is a Deluxe Wii U with ZombiU and NSMBU.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

Which is pretty super reasonable, in fact. We'll see how true that continues to be as the WiiU's install base increases over the next year or so.

Yeah. I mean what are AC3 sales like compared to the 360 version? 100:1 sales ratio?

vv Hundred-percenting the game takes about 6~8 hours, and it's not very fun because the game never, ever throws a challenge at you. The game's worth is incredibly dependent on how much the user likes loving around with the creation/editing system. I have to say that dicking around on the first level making poo poo probably makes up 3/4s of my 20+ hours in the game.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 7, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
I think it might be worth saying that while Scribblenauts is a good game, I don't think it is actually worth $50, regardless of whether or not it is available elsewhere for cheaper.

Were it a WiiU exclusive title, I would recommend waiting until it came down in price.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah. I mean what are AC3 sales like compared to the 360 version? 100:1 sales ratio?

Well, it still shows up on the home screen, so its in the top couple selling games - (my home screen has Nintendoland, ZombieU, Mario, Sonic, CoD, and AC3). The only reason I have to recommend it is the "always ready horse whistle", however.

So it is selling well for a WiiU release - but remember, all that matters is that (Cost to Port) < (Revenue from Port). ACIII probably wasn't a bad idea, although Mass Effect 3 might have been.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 7, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

theflyingorc posted:

I think it might be worth saying that while Scribblenauts is a good game, I don't think it is actually worth $50, regardless of whether or not it is available elsewhere for cheaper.

Were it a WiiU exclusive title, I would recommend waiting until it came down in price.

It took me 14.5 hours to complete, I think that's pretty reasonable. I didn't really even touch item creation because that was confusing and desperately needed a tutorial.

I think the next logical step is a game where you can make your own levels and puzzles and share with friends.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

^^^ That would be pretty amazing. I wonder if they'd let us do that, though, because it might rend any other sequel moot.

theflyingorc posted:

The game's worth is very variable. I know if/when I have a kid this would be a true family hit. Meanwhile I love the object creation. If you are just here to solve puzzles then you are going to have to think hard to come up with the NONobvious solution, because the obvious one is thrown at you.

But if you have a kid learning to read, say second grade or thereabouts, this game would be great for their vocabulary.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

greatn posted:

It took me 14.5 hours to complete, I think that's pretty reasonable. I didn't really even touch item creation because that was confusing and desperately needed a tutorial.
Sure, and it might be worth it for some people. I don't think I got $50 of value out of it, but I probably got $35, so it's not a disaster or anything.

edit: ^^ Sure! I'm not denying the existence of subjective experience. :)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Lobster posted:

^^^ That would be pretty amazing. I wonder if they'd let us do that, though, because it might rend any other sequel moot.

Depends on how much longer they think they can milk the idea. What else are they going to add at this point... adverbs? I think each successive game in the series has added worthwhile stuff but they might be running out of room for expansion.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Depends on how much longer they think they can milk the idea. What else are they going to add at this point... adverbs? I think each successive game in the series has added worthwhile stuff but they might be running out of room for expansion.

I don't know. I think making levels would be pointless. I mean what challenges could you possibly pose when there's absolutely no limit to what the players can make?

I think what would be interesting is a hard mode that limits the solutions you can use. Like "Put out this fire without using the letter 'E' " or "Cross this enemy-filled gap without harming any of them and without flying."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

I don't know. I think making levels would be pointless. I mean what challenges could you possibly pose when there's absolutely no limit to what the players can make?

I think what would be interesting is a hard mode that limits the solutions you can use. Like "Put out this fire without using the letter 'E' " or "Cross this enemy-filled gap without harming any of them and without flying."

I like that idea a lot. It could be combined with a more narrative adventure mode where some outside force or villain is imposing limitations on your pad.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

I like that idea a lot. It could be combined with a more narrative adventure mode where some outside force or villain is imposing limitations on your pad.

It'll also lead to abstract solutions for problems, which is great to challenge adults and great for teaching kids. I'm a genius, I know.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I saw my first dick drawing in Nintendoland this weekend. It was poorly drawn and hairy which might be how it got through the moderation.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ZeroAX posted:

I saw my first dick drawing in Nintendoland this weekend. It was poorly drawn and hairy which might be how it got through the moderation.

Last week I saw a message in Super Mario that was just swearing over and over again. Kind of sad, really.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Leaving aside why the hell you would buy that for a console in the first place - that's really not all that surprising(although Sniper 2 is on the release list and uses the same engine so it is a little I guess), Bioshock: Infinite is also skipping the Wii U. The other 2 big pre-march titles like that are Dead Space 3, which will also skip the console, and Aliens: Colonial Marines, which isn't and which if they do well is basically MADE for the tablet.

It's once we hit march that things get a bit worrying to be honest, everyone's release schedule is a little barren for Q1(especially jan-feb), but for Nintendo we get Monster Hunter 3 to round out the quarter and then pikmin 3 and 9 months of who the hell knows.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

People need to take any decision by EA into consideration. EA is really bitter at Nintendo for not adopting Origin as the Nintendo Network and it shows.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

People need to take any decision by EA into consideration. EA is really bitter at Nintendo for not adopting Origin as the Nintendo Network and it shows.

Yes clearly it is EA being butthurt and not that they don't want to spend the money to port an FPS to a console with a small install base that typically doesn't buy many FPSs.

Has there been any actual proof about this whole EA being mad at Nintendo thing? I feel like it's just Nintendo fans trying to rationalize EA half assing a console launch.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

It's not just half-assing the launch, it's that at and after E32011 EA was very positive about the system, but by E3 last year... not so much. Of course, they're EA, so they probably would have half assed the launch regardless, especially Madden, which could release with half the teams as on-disk DLC and still sell by the truck load.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

This is absolutely the first I've heard of this. Can you please give more detail on how the fledgling PC-only distribution service was somehow ever in the running to replace Nintendo itself.

As mediocre as they are, I'm pretty sure maintaining Shop services for 3DS, DSi, and Wii was fairly important to Nintendo. Those sales are money in their pockets. Origin has been lukewarm on PC putting it kindly, and I don't see how that translates to them being able to handle the millions of Wii, 3DS, and DSi users that would come with a transfer of services to Origin. Not to mention to the vast gulf that is the difference between Nintendo Customer Support and everyone else. Not to mention Nintendo then having to yield these profits to someone else for no real reason.

Mind you, I say this owning tons of EA games and not owning a Wii U, but I can't see how this was ever an actual option unless EA was offering to do it for free.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crowbear posted:

Yes clearly it is EA being butthurt and not that they don't want to spend the money to port an FPS to a console with a small install base that typically doesn't buy many FPSs.

Has there been any actual proof about this whole EA being mad at Nintendo thing? I feel like it's just Nintendo fans trying to rationalize EA half assing a console launch.

They ported Mass Effect 3 so I think that explanation isn't accurate. It's a lot more likely that it comes down to having their corporate strategy tied up with support of the XBox 360 and PS3 in a lot of subtle ways. Despite their different hardware the feature set and user base for them is effectively identical while the WiiU is still an unknown quantity in a lot of ways.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Chaltab posted:

It's not just half-assing the launch, it's that at and after E32011 EA was very positive about the system, but by E3 last year... not so much. Of course, they're EA, so they probably would have half assed the launch regardless, especially Madden, which could release with half the teams as on-disk DLC and still sell by the truck load.

EA was actually on stage with Nintendo at their E3 2011 press event talking about their team-up for the WiiU would be something historic, then flat out nothing at 2012. It seems silly to think Origin had anything to do with it (and I've never even seen that as a rumor floating around), but it definitely seems like something happened in that year or so space between E3s.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Crowbear posted:

EA was being weird about the Wii during its first couple of years, and chose to throw their weight behind the PS3 primarily, and lost a lot of money as a result of that decision according to market briefs. I'm not surprised that they're going to be weird about the Wii U as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Edison Carter posted:

EA was actually on stage with Nintendo at their E3 2011 press event talking about their team-up for the WiiU would be something historic, then flat out nothing at 2012. It seems silly to think Origin had anything to do with it (and I've never even seen that as a rumor floating around), but it definitely seems like something happened in that year or so space between E3s.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Something definitely changed between the Wii U announcement and launch, but to say that it's EA throwing a hissy fit like some petulant school kid because Nintendo wouldn't use their online service is just weird conspiracy theory stuff.

• Locked thread