Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I'm pretty sure it was Mexico. Plus he got a 72 month loan. I don't care how low the interest rate is, a 72 month loan will always put you upside down. Assuming he financed in the taxes and fees he started out about $5000 in the hole on day one and it's just gotten worse.

If it's only worth about $9,000 I think you could make a good case for keeping it. If they replace it with a $5,000 car it doesn't move the needle enough to justify higher repair costs, more taxes, registation. But if a buyer comes along with $14,000 it's worth it. But 18 months ago he estimated it was worth $18,900 and most of the miles were already on it. It just seems weird for a car to lose half it's value in a year and a half.

Yeah, it was Halifax to Mexico. And I made the 1000km round trip from Gagetown to Halifax every weekend for most of a year, and I drove around the states a lot too.

Buying the car the way I did was a horrible decision and was really not worth it in any way. 0 down, 72 month financing on a $31 100 car when my income was still 16 000 per year (I hadn't gotten promoted when I bought the car) and I already had an 18 000 dollar student loan and ~2000 on a 29.9% credit card and I lived less than 2km away from work.

I'm pretty sure when I got the 18900 quote the car had literally half as many kilometers on it and still had its warranty and no dents, I bought it in May 2010 and just rolled over 125 000km.

I think we could justify keeping the car if we could get rid of or reduce the loan payment to <200/month and halve the insurance cost, but I'm pretty interested in going without a car as a lifestyle decision at this point. We'll have to see what happens in April and May. I also have a meeting with the Joint Personnel Support Unit (JPSU) section on base here next week, they might have some good news for me regarding retraining and being reunited with my furniture and belongings that I haven't seen since May 2010. But I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Wait why have you been missing your belongings since 2010?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

n8r posted:

You post this in a Tuyop thread?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

CuddleChunks posted:

You post this in a Tuyop thread?

It's not so much about hearing the reasoning, which is likely beyond any human comprehension anyway, and more about curiosity to hear the story.

He's mentioned having some furniture in a storage unit somewhere (his parent's house maybe? this is all starting to blur together) so that could be it

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
You don't have to completely go without a car, get a cheap old run-about at least.

You're talking about selling car that you've done, on average, over 1000km per week in to totally carless? It's just like everything else, from one extreme to the next.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

n8r posted:

In the army, when you join under my enrollment plan, your first 2-4 years are just going to university. You live in your own apartment and do your own thing while collecting a (small) salary. Then when you graduate, the army puts all your poo poo in long term storage for free while you complete your training. I had 8 months of training left to do. During training, you're not allowed to have your personal poo poo back unless you get special considerations, and if you do get it back early, then they won't move your stuff from the first training base to wherever you're posted to once you're qualified. You're only entitled to one "cost move" per non-prohibited posting.

And now my posting status is pretty much set in stone as prohibited for the next year or so, and I'm not even working at my home unit, so there's absolutely no way for me to get my furniture and effects at this point, until I release from the forces or have my home unit and posting status changed by the JPSU.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

edit: I put up a sizing chart that was specific to one brand.

But: google "bike sizing" and there's a wealth of information. Here's an online calculator.

What gets me is the idea that noted gear-whore Tuyop apparently went and bought a bike without having any information about sizing first. Like, not knowing what size bike to buy, somehow.

To revisit bikechat!

I'm a 6 foot tall man with a 34 inch inseam. Based on some charts, I should have a 55-59cm bike. I have a 66cm frame. So yeah.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

tuyop posted:

To revisit bikechat!

I'm a 6 foot tall man with a 34 inch inseam. Based on some charts, I should have a 55-59cm bike. I have a 66cm frame. So yeah.

If you are a 6 foot tall dude with an average-ish inseam a 66 cm bike will indeed be too large for you. But it doesn't mean you can't ride it for a good while longer. While you're riding the bike being too large isn't that bad.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

AmericanBarbarian posted:

If you are a 6 foot tall dude with an average-ish inseam a 66 cm bike will indeed be too large for you. But it doesn't mean you can't ride it for a good while longer. While you're riding the bike being too large isn't that bad.

Well I feel it in my hips and knees after a ride of any significant length, and spending a couple of hours a day for a couple weeks beats me up pretty badly. I think I'd be very happy with a bike like this except maybe ten speed, even though I'd like to build my own, that can wait. Spending less than 400 bucks on a new road bike really won't ruin me if I can use it to go car free for any amount of time at all.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tuyop posted:

To revisit bikechat!

Have you considered growing a couple of extra inches in height?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
1) Get any thoughts of building your own bike out of your head right loving now.

2) Out of the many times you have stated something like "the savings will be worth it in like 3-4 months", approximately 100% of them have turned out to be spectacularly wrong. Do some actual sums, or such statements are worthless.

3) You need to save $000s for a wedding in a few months. Prioritise.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

tuyop posted:

Spending less than 400 bucks on a new road bike really won't ruin me if I can use it to go car free for any amount of time at all.

Isn't this what you said the first time you bought a bike and like a hundred bucks worth of cycling accessories, totally on a whim while you were still in the middle of researching it, without even making sure it was the right size, which eventually led you to have (or at least want) to spend even more money to replace the bike you bought the first time. This expenditure is a direct consequence of the careless purchasing decisions you make when you get into your manic phase, and I'm a little worried because you haven't really acknowledged it. You've said "I need to buy a bigger bike because my current one is too small", but you haven't demonstrated that you understand why your current bike is too small - because you bought a poorly-sized bike and either didn't notice or didn't bother to mention it until recently. If you don't understand what you did wrong, you'll do it again, or perhaps something even dumber and more wasteful (see also: building your own bike).

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
Tuyop: Sell the bike you have now that doesn't "fit" and allow yourself to use only the direct proceeds to buy one that is the proper size.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Walk Away posted:

Tuyop: Sell the bike you have now that doesn't "fit" and allow yourself to use only the direct proceeds to buy one that is the proper size.

This is a good idea, Tuyop. It will force you to shop around and be more frugal, and at least you already have all the accessories.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Do you have pictures of this 66cm frame? Was it custom made? That's a HUGE frame.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm half expecting a picture of a circus bicycle designed to be ridden by a bear. 66cm is gigantic.

I really like the idea of selling the enormous clown bike and picking up a cheaper bike that is closer to fitting. Selling the car is a little bit crazy, at least this thing should be reliable because of how new it is and how many repairs you've done, and it will be undervalued if you sell because of the mileage.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Weinertron posted:

I'm half expecting a picture of a circus bicycle designed to be ridden by a bear. 66cm is gigantic.

I really like the idea of selling the enormous clown bike and picking up a cheaper bike that is closer to fitting. Selling the car is a little bit crazy, at least this thing should be reliable because of how new it is and how many repairs you've done, and it will be undervalued if you sell because of the mileage.

Actually, do we have any evidence that Tuyop is not a bear? That would explain his initial desire to live in the woods.

Otherwise, maybe that's him at the apple store:

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
Fixed that for ya.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Note, that is a normal-sized woman in the background there.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Walk Away posted:

Fixed that for ya.

That bicycle is not nearly damaged enough to be tuyop's. Also, those are stock pedals :colbert:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

That bicycle is not nearly damaged enough to be tuyop. Also, those are stock pedals :colbert:

That was taken when I bought it... now both wheels are bent and the tubes have been patched a couple of times, but otherwise it's been a great bike!

Not pictured is the new seat that I got for free from a friend, the new chain, and the new SICK loving pedals and bike shoes.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Just to throw my .02 in, until very recently I owned a 1993-1994 Geo Metro that didn't have a functioning gear box.

I had to put on the parking brake and pop the hood to change gears. I also live in Canada so try doing all this in the winter.

My point is sometimes living like poo poo, but knowing you're living within your means, will 100% pay off when you get older, and you will have more character and a funny story out of it.

Now maybe I am understanding wrong, but your bike isn't the right size? Who loving cares!

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Just to throw my .02 in, until very recently I owned a 1993-1994 Geo Metro that didn't have a functioning gear box.

I had to put on the parking brake and pop the hood to change gears. I also live in Canada so try doing all this in the winter.

My point is sometimes living like poo poo, but knowing you're living within your means, will 100% pay off when you get older, and you will have more character and a funny story out of it.

Now maybe I am understanding wrong, but your bike isn't the right size? Who loving cares!

Nothing like taking advice with someone who drives an incredibly unsafe car! How incredibly dangerous and irresponsible of you to drive a vehicle like that!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

CanadianSuperKing posted:

Nothing like taking advice with someone who drives an incredibly unsafe car! How incredibly dangerous and irresponsible of you to drive a vehicle like that!

I agree and understand where you're coming from, but when we're talking about real life, every friend has a "lovely car" story and that's mine.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Seriously, how do you go about with a car that can't change gears? Stay in first all the time, get out of the car when you need to reverse?

Getting out of a snowbank must have been fun.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I imagine he just drove around in second literally all the time.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Seriously, how do you go about with a car that can't change gears? Stay in first all the time, get out of the car when you need to reverse?

Getting out of a snowbank must have been fun.

Reversing was the loving worst thing ever. It would take me so long considering I didn't know how the gently caress a car worked (but Jesus do you learn) and was constantly being laughed at by my friends while doing the whole dance.

Turn car on
Parking brake on
Pop hood
Stick hand on some lever and "click" it to reverse
Close hood, get back in car
Disengage e brake
Do my little lovely reverse job

Then loving repeat to then go forward

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Reversing was the loving worst thing ever. It would take me so long considering I didn't know how the gently caress a car worked (but Jesus do you learn) and was constantly being laughed at by my friends while doing the whole dance.

Turn car on
Parking brake on
Pop hood
Disengage e brake

That's pretty heroic. I would have just gotten a bike!

I once changed an alternator belt on my way to an anthropology exam. I was late but covered in engine filth so it was no big deal. :smug:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Turn car on
Parking brake on
Pop hood
Disengage e brake

Jesus christ, there's a point where it would have been easier to buy a $1000 beater to replace that thing, and that point was when you had to start doing more than one step to reverse. I've had to learn the art of tracking miles because the fuel gauge didn't work(somehow, my first and second car both had that problem), and I spent a couple years driving a car with the hood tied down because it was so crumpled out of shape, but that's as lovely as I'd let my car get before replacing it/fixing it.

Then again, I guess you don't have that car anymore for a reason. :v:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
'Round these parts, we call that a rez car.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

canyoneer posted:

'Round these parts, we call that a rez car.
Well, this certainly isn't a Canadian thread without the casual racism towards natives.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Jesus christ, there's a point where it would have been easier to buy a $1000 beater to replace that thing, and that point was when you had to start doing more than one step to reverse. I've had to learn the art of tracking miles because the fuel gauge didn't work(somehow, my first and second car both had that problem), and I spent a couple years driving a car with the hood tied down because it was so crumpled out of shape, but that's as lovely as I'd let my car get before replacing it/fixing it.

Then again, I guess you don't have that car anymore for a reason. :v:

Car is long gone now, did the whole gear shift thing as long as I could help it.

Sorry for the derail

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008

HookShot posted:

Well, this certainly isn't a Canadian thread without the casual racism towards natives.

This. Ignorant racist beliefs have no place in this thread.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
So decreeth Canada's king, so let it be done.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Haifisch posted:

Jesus christ, there's a point where it would have been easier to buy a $1000 beater to replace that thing, and that point was when you had to start doing more than one step to reverse.

Where do you get money precious? Sometimes you have no choice. I had my BMW 528i that I bought for $800 (literally all my money at the time), and had it blow out two valves and catch on fire. It wouldn't go above 45. I drove it that way for over a year. I then saved up $500 (I had about 50$ in money for food and etc after bills per month) and bought a VW rabbit that would get so hot, it would literally burn my feet, and was a manual with no tach and just an arrow that would light up to tell you when to shift...that stopped working after one month. It had a plug that you needed to plug in for the winter otherwise it wouldn't start.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

LorneReams posted:

Where do you get money precious? Sometimes you have no choice. I had my BMW 528i that I bought for $800 (literally all my money at the time), and had it blow out two valves and catch on fire. It wouldn't go above 45. I drove it that way for over a year. I then saved up $500 (I had about 50$ in money for food and etc after bills per month) and bought a VW rabbit that would get so hot, it would literally burn my feet, and was a manual with no tach and just an arrow that would light up to tell you when to shift...that stopped working after one month. It had a plug that you needed to plug in for the winter otherwise it wouldn't start.

My first few cars also had no tach, or fancy light, you just shifted when you felt like it was right...

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Who the hell even uses the Tachy anyways? I still just shift when it feels right.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There is an opinion that pertains in AI and I think carries over to this thread too, that below a certain point, you just can't afford to drive. Even if you can actually afford a car that moves under its own power, sort of. That point is where you are putting other people (pedestrians, other drivers, your own passengers) at risk. Completely unmaintained vehicles at some point become a road hazard, and your need to get to work doesn't trump other's needs not to have a car suddenly lose a wheel or have the hood fly up into the windshield, causing a serious accident.

That's not got a lot to do with BFC/financial decisions but it's fair for people to take issue. Everyone on the road needs to have insurance, functional brakes, functional tires, functional signaling equipment, etc.; and sufficient structural integrity that parts of it are not going to just fall off whenever it hits a small bump. If you can't afford that, you can't afford to own a car.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Well, to get the thread on topic, we've been looking for a desk small enough for our place and some shelves and a small dining table on kijiji for a couple of months, nothing has come up.

We got 400 bucks from toeshoes' family for Christmas and they said we must spend it on furniture, so she insisted that we get some stuff from ikea. So we spent 500 bucks on furniture, and a rug. :)

Oh, and I bought some worms for vermiculture. They're wonderful.

So yeah, what do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora Borealis
Jun 21, 2012

tuyop posted:

We got 400 bucks from toeshoes' family for Christmas and they said we must spend it on furniture, so she insisted that we get some stuff from ikea. So we spent 500 bucks on furniture, and a rug. :)

Oh, and I bought some worms for vermiculture. They're wonderful.

So yeah, what do you guys think?
What happened to consulting the thread before spending large sums of money?

• Locked thread