Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

How surprising a comment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

4liters posted:

Tokaji must be hand picked, the sweet stuff does anyway. Tokaji Aszu takes hand harvesting to the extreme.

I just got back from vintage in Cyprus and I'll put some photos up soon. No vintage journal this year because of the constant 18 hour shifts.

Late as hell, but thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely keep Hungary on my list when the time comes. I made some awesome Aus/NZ connections while in France. I don't have many pics, since we were under-staffed and over-worked ( nothing new, I'm sure), but:

Relevant for the wild yeast mentions that came up recently

and

Vines. Everywhere.

As I'll soon be working on farms in a region where you don't go to make money (Southeast Asia), harvest and wine-making will definitely make an appearance in my life again. I was luck enough to be included in the wine-making process, and not just harvest work. I found myself way more interested in the winemaking process than I expected. Regardless, good times were had and ridiculous amounts of great wine was consumed!

moflika fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 12, 2012

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Anyone else use Cellar Tracker? I find the new site a lot more confusing to use.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've used CT since 2006, and it took a while to get used to the new version but I still find it very easy to use.

I don't write notes anymore just track my spending and drinking so I'm not a power user or anything. It definitely is painful running reports to see exactly how much you've spent on wine over the years. :smith:

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=15496

I'm down from about 250 wines and am trying to stay around 125. It helps that my storage is over 2 hours away or else I'd drink more. :doh:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 28, 2012

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I used the old version of the site up until the very day they switched. I thought it would be harder to use than it is, but the new site is pretty easy if you already had a good idea how to use the old one. The things like being able to add comments to tasting notes, or say whether you like/dislike a wine, as well as vote whether or not a note was helpful, are pretty awesome additions.

I learned a long time ago not to check reports on how much I spend on wine. It only ends in tears.

Let's all be CT friends now that we can do that sort of thing: https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=66417

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I went to a wedding yesterday and everyone got a bottle of vintage wine. I managed to get a second bottle because there was one extra seat at the table that nobody sat in. They're both 1999 Cavas de Chacras malbecs. I'm definitely keeping one for myself, but I'm not sure if I can sell the other one at a nearby store or if I should just give it to my parents.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
It's an inexpensive wine that probably shouldn't have been aged that long. Who knows though, I'd pop a bottle to yourself before giving the other away. Aging a wine doesn't always make it better.

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=295329&searchId=909B24CE

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I'd link my CT, but it's totally out of date right now. Maybe I'll clean it up and get it posted.

What did everybody have to drink over Christmas? We mostly drank Burgundy, all Morey wines, all that I got from Garagiste. Nothing too exciting, though the Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru from 04 was really very nice. It was a named vineyard - Les Vercots? Les Durots? I don't remember. We also had a white and a red Meursault from Morey, some awful CA Chard, 1990 Filhot (lovely, and a good price!), a Qupe Syrah (awful, just awful), and some bubbly of course.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

pork never goes bad posted:

What did everybody have to drink over Christmas?

Drank a lot of Champagne and Chateauneuf du Pape blanc this weekend. Standouts were the Vouette et Sorbee Blanc d'Argile and the 2001 Clos des Brusquieres Blanc (I think that was the producer) that we had with broiled lobster tail. Also had an excellent 2006 Clos des Papes blanc and and a Marc Chauvet Rose Champagne which was good.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

What did everybody have to drink over Christmas?

We started with an 08 Riesling from Hochkirch which is a small biodynamic producer from Western Victoria in Australia. Went great with the ham. Then we moved on to an 86 Penfolds Grange which was fantastic after reasonable decanting.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I ended up working Christmas Eve and Chrismas this year, but plan on going to visit family soon to exchange gifts. For that I have a bottle of Cameron 'Ramato' skin-macerated Pinot Gris and a bottle of that 2008 SuGaSy Syrah that Garagiste sold a while back. It's pretty drat good for the $20 they charged and my parents love Syrah.

What are you guys planning on drinking for New Years? I'm thinking some Pierre Peters NV BdB Champagne.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

For new years - faux loco. Not a night for classy wine, at least not for me.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

For new years - faux loco. Not a night for classy wine, at least not for me.

Andre and Red bull. Do it. Not gonna remember the drat night anyways.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
I had nothing good for xmas. For some god forsaken reason my grandma had bought a bunch of greek wine on her vacation there and decided to unload it on us, me and my dad now have 3 bottles each of absolutely undrinkable I don't even know. Gonna give it to my roommates I think.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Breaking out more P-U-R Bulle de Gamay for NYE. It's more of a beverage than a wine, but it's fun as gently caress to drink.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

What are you guys planning on drinking for New Years? I'm thinking some Pierre Peters NV BdB Champagne.

2004 Camille Saves and probably some NV Bruno Gobillard Rose. There will be more, I'm sure, but those are the two I'm really looking forward to.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
How does everyone here feel about aroma kits? I love wine but am lost when it comes to tasting notes and would like to fix that. On one hand, they seem useful as I've never had a currant berry or several other common wine descriptors. On the other hand, they are pretty pricey and that money would probably be better spent on more wine...

IAMKOREA fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 6, 2013

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

IAMKOREA posted:

How does everyone here feel about aroma kits? I love wine but am lost when it comes to tasting notes and would like to fix that. On one hand, they seem useful as I've never had a currant berry or several other common wine descriptors. On the other hand, they are pretty pricey and that money would probably be better spent on more wine...

Go to a grocery store. Buy real examples of all the fruits, herbs and spices you want. Smell them and taste them. Use them to cook tasty meals.

Wash down said meals with the hundreds of dollars of wine you bought with the savings.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I'm looking to buy a really good bottle of red wine to celebrate the end of a project, and I could use some guidance on what to look for. I'm interested in something to drink on its own, which is a little different for me because I normally drink wine with food. I guess what I'm afraid of is eating food that clashes with the taste or mutes my palate. I'm looking for something with delicate flavors but noticeable quality. I'm thinking of spending around $100, but I'm not sure what price points there are for wine quality. I'm much more experienced with beer in that way.

I'm thinking something French or Californian, but being from Washington I may find better deals on state wines. I'm not sure what style though. French wine regions I know nothing about, and I'm mainly used to American cabs, which might be more aggressive than I'm looking for.

As for my experience with wine, I enjoy anything from pinot noir to syrah, and it can be from around the world. I feel like I have pretty good understanding of wine's characteristics and knowing what's good quality.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

that Vai sound posted:

I'm looking to buy a really good bottle of red wine to celebrate the end of a project, and I could use some guidance on what to look for. I'm interested in something to drink on its own, which is a little different for me because I normally drink wine with food. I guess what I'm afraid of is eating food that clashes with the taste or mutes my palate. I'm looking for something with delicate flavors but noticeable quality. I'm thinking of spending around $100, but I'm not sure what price points there are for wine quality. I'm much more experienced with beer in that way.

I'm thinking something French or Californian, but being from Washington I may find better deals on state wines. I'm not sure what style though. French wine regions I know nothing about, and I'm mainly used to American cabs, which might be more aggressive than I'm looking for.

As for my experience with wine, I enjoy anything from pinot noir to syrah, and it can be from around the world. I feel like I have pretty good understanding of wine's characteristics and knowing what's good quality.

I'm no expert in pricier wine, but I know enough that I feel like you're wasting your money if you spend that much on a bottle of wine without being able to pick it out yourself. Why not buy a few quality bottles of a variety you're familiar with from a region you like? How much do you normally spend, and what wines specifically do you normally buy? American cabernet sauvignon is extremely broad - if you're talking about big, mass produced California cabernet sauvignon, you're probably not going to like an expensive French one, or even one from cooler climates in California, so without some more specificity you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

AriTheDog fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 6, 2013

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

that Vai sound posted:

Have you considered Spain? For $100, you can get some good stuff from Vega Sicilia, Muga, or something from Priorat.

BTW, when you say that American Cab is too aggressive, how do you mean that? Too much tannin? Oak? Alcohol? Sugar? Too extracted?

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

that Vai sound posted:

One of the best Syrah producer's in the entire world is based in Washington and has wines priced right around what your are looking to spend: Cayuse. Nearly every wine lover I know that has had their wines loves them and they are considered at the very top of top Syrah producers in Washington. It should be reasonably easy to get a bottle from a dedicated wine shop if you went in and asked where you might buy some, at least they could point you in the right direction. From what I hear their wines are quite the experience, although I have not had the luck of having one yet.

But as Cromulent said, for $100, you have a lot of options. Hell, you could buy some pretty good Burgundy or Northern Rhône Syrah for that amount of money.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

AriTheDog posted:

I'm no expert in pricier wine, but I know enough that I feel like you're wasting your money if you spend that much on a bottle of wine without being able to pick it out yourself. Why not buy a few quality bottles of a variety you're familiar with from a region you like? How much do you normally spend, and what wines specifically do you normally buy? American cabernet sauvignon is extremely broad - if you're talking about big, mass produced California cabernet sauvignon, you're probably not going to like an expensive French one, or even one from cooler climates in California, so without some more specificity you're setting yourself up for disappointment.
That's a good point about choosing a pricy wine. I normally drink bottles worth $20 and below, and often Washington wines. Instead I might buy several bottles of something above $20, maybe do an exploration of a region or something.

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Have you considered Spain? For $100, you can get some good stuff from Vega Sicilia, Muga, or something from Priorat.

BTW, when you say that American Cab is too aggressive, how do you mean that? Too much tannin? Oak? Alcohol? Sugar? Too extracted?
When I said aggressive, I was more thinking about how pinot noirs are soft but cabs are stronger flavored. I guess I'm looking for something more mild in that sense, but I'm not set on it.

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

One of the best Syrah producer's in the entire world is based in Washington and has wines priced right around what your are looking to spend: Cayuse. Nearly every wine lover I know that has had their wines loves them and they are considered at the very top of top Syrah producers in Washington. It should be reasonably easy to get a bottle from a dedicated wine shop if you went in and asked where you might buy some, at least they could point you in the right direction. From what I hear their wines are quite the experience, although I have not had the luck of having one yet.

But as Cromulent said, for $100, you have a lot of options. Hell, you could buy some pretty good Burgundy or Northern Rhône Syrah for that amount of money.
Interesting, I haven't tried them myself. I'll keep them in mind when looking.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Actually nevermind!

IAMKOREA fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 6, 2013

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

You could get something from Bordeaux in 09 - supposedly the vintage of the century (according to Robert Parker, if you put stock in that).

Branaire-Ducru is lovely and the 09 drinks well now, though it is quite unsubtle. If you're used to CA and WA cabernet sauvignon it may be right up your alley - a distinct qualitative upgrade on the $20 examples you've had whilst still being a sure-fire positive experience.

Cayuse is a pretty solid recommendation given your stated palate as well.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Delille Cellars Grand Ciel Cab is a fantastic wine from your neck of the woods. I love all their wines actually.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Went to Sonoma County this week. Dropped by Jacuzzi Winery and found a great deal for some pretty decent wine - $60 for a case of their 2009 Merlot. Its pretty much the same as their 2010 (which they give complimentary tastings for) but for $5 a bottle, you can't really say no to it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I'm not a wine expert by any means, but I always liked Chardonnays. My friend from France, who loves wine, keeps telling me to buy Puligny-Montrachet if I want a great Chardonnay.

These fuckng things are 60-100 bucks a bottle! So Goons, help me out, which vineyard/year should I go with to get the best bang for my Chardonnay dollar.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
You can probably find a Macon-Villages or even a Meursault for cheaper. I absolutely love Meursault. But yeah Puligny-Montrachet will run you probably ~$40 minimum. Actually you can snag some 2009 Louis Latour Puligny-Montrachet for about $40. It's good, and would be a good entry point to White Burgundy.

Alexander the Grape
Dec 21, 2006

Ott-tocracy
Meursault is the perfect wine to try if your palate is calibrated towards California Chardonnay. Unfortunately, it's not always a "value" wine.

Macôn-Villages is definitely a good value, but keep in mind that it's usually an unoaked style. St. Aubin is probably my recommendation for someone looking to try a good value Côte d'Or white Burgundy. Some producers also make a fairly decent Bourgogne (lower end white Burgundy), like Latour and Faiveley.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
After a heavy December of tasting samples, I'm currently enjoying a little break in the action in the New Year. Thought you all might find this classic Vallejo painting amusing:

Also, free avatar if anybody wants it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hey wine folks (Vingoons?)! I was given some wine for Christmas (Most pretty good from what I've tried) and have started a rule that until my wine rack is full for every bottle I drink I will replace it, plus one. The extra being cheap, expensive, white, red, whatever. So my question is if anyone has recommendations of good wines available from Dan Murphy's or Vintage Cellars. Preferably twenty bucks or under (I like cheap table wine and save the pricier stuff for special events). If there's any that are good for slightly more then I can stretch my budget.

As for what I like! Whites I like either dry and acidic or fruity and sweet (Pinot gris and Moscato, being popular choices respectively) and reds are nice and full, with strong dark fruit or spices (Such as a hearty Australian Shiraz or a fruity Pinot Noir or spicy Merlot). If you want more information I can try and conjure up some words. I like wine but I'm still a bit of a novice :shobon:

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

As for what I like! Whites I like either dry and acidic or fruity and sweet (Pinot gris and Moscato, being popular choices respectively) and reds are nice and full, with strong dark fruit or spices (Such as a hearty Australian Shiraz or a fruity Pinot Noir or spicy Merlot). If you want more information I can try and conjure up some words. I like wine but I'm still a bit of a novice :shobon:
I've had a wine from Kanonkop before, but I can't remember if it was this one. It should have the taste you're looking for, and maybe somewhat unique if you haven't had wine from Africa before.

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_907611/kanonkop-kadette

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Hey wine folks (Vingoons?)! I was given some wine for Christmas (Most pretty good from what I've tried) and have started a rule that until my wine rack is full for every bottle I drink I will replace it, plus one. The extra being cheap, expensive, white, red, whatever. So my question is if anyone has recommendations of good wines available from Dan Murphy's or Vintage Cellars. Preferably twenty bucks or under (I like cheap table wine and save the pricier stuff for special events). If there's any that are good for slightly more then I can stretch my budget.

Chablis:
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_711934/simonnet-febvre-chablis
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_347387/simonnet-febvre-petit-chablis

Vouvray:
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_913575/marc-br-dif-vouvray
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_382893/bourillon-dorl-ans-la-coul-e-d-argent-vouvray

German Riesling:
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_347988/schloss-vollrads-qba-riesling

Cotes du Rhone:
https://www.vintagecellars.com.au/vce2e/Product/6100573/Saint-Cosme-Cotes-du-Rhone-2011/

Monstrell:
https://www.vintagecellars.com.au/vce2e/Product/8769830/Comoloco-Monstrell-2010/

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Wonderful, thanks guys. That should keep me busy for a while when buying wines. Looking forward to talking about them with people that actually care!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Thanks guys, I will take your advice to the store.

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist
All,

I'm hoping for a bit of advice. I am registered to take the Introductory Course through the Court of Master Sommeliers next month. As I understand it, a few people here are CS and above. My biggest question is, what, generally, should I expect on the exam? My boss, who has taken it, says I could probably pass it without the course, but I don't just want to pass it, I want to ace it, and use it as a stepping stone to take the Level 2 by the end of the year.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Which of the following is a region in Southern Rhone?
St Emilion
Cote de Nuits
Vacqueyras
Anjou-Saumur

Which of these is a first growth Bordeaux?
Chateau Palmer
Chateau Lafite-Rothschild
Chateau Petrus
Chateau Montrose

What is the grape used in Chinon?

That's about as difficult as the questions get on the level 1. Give me your email and I'll send you a loose list of topics to know.

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist
dhaveck at gmail dot com

Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander the Grape
Dec 21, 2006

Ott-tocracy
When I signed up for the Introductory exam last year, I received a membership to guildsomm.com along with it. Hopefully they still do that...

I have the usual recommended reference books like Sotheby's, but honestly the study guides and practice tests on that site were way more helpful in getting me prepared. I ended up with the highest score on the exam :smuggo: so I'd say they're pretty effective.

Good luck!