Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Parkingtigers posted:

The Walking Dead is a great example of the difference between plot and narrative, which people sometimes confuse. The plot is the same for everyone, you will start and end the journey at the same places, and hit the same major events through the story. Everyone's personal narrative will be different though, and your version of a scene may vary greatly from my version of the same scene.
Well stated - thanks for putting this so succinctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Bummey posted:

There's a new Battleheart clone out, Sci-Fi Heroes. It's not great, has some slow down and rather long load times on a 4, but... whatever, more Battleheart-like gameplay and I'm totally okay with that. It's also free and loaded with iap. Battleheart 2 can't come soon enough.

I don't usually play these Facebook login games. I used the login as guest, is it not going to save my progress since I didn't login with Facebook?

It doesn't really have a good progression arc I found. I got to the third planet, of four, and you go from being invincible to unable to progress like a brick wall.

I used battle heart kiting tactics to beat most of the mission, but the ranged guy spawned and it was all over.

Also, upgrading items works differently than in battle heart which was surprising at first. This game made me want to buy battle heart on iOS so I could play it on my iPad, but I just took my android phone out instead.

Did the devs actually announce they were working on battle heart 2?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Kepa posted:

Also we ended up fixing a lot of Punch Quest's money problems. We got a lot of advice on this, but it turns out the most important bit by far was that item prices were just way too low. It's too bad we didn't have that sorted out at launch, but it's doing good enough so that we can still do little updates to the game and add different things. Another good thing is that we'll have more games soon, to direct traffic to Punch Quest and the other way around.

One of the most interesting things I've learned working in the mobile game industry is to never underestimate how much money the high end payers will pay for things. The stats I've seen on how much whales will spend is stunning. The key is trying to balance that with keeping a good experience for people that don't want to pay or won't spend much.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Fallom posted:

I preferred the focus on the puzzle boxes. Sometimes I just want great puzzles with a story focus without having to spend all this time navigating between scenes to get what I need to solve them. The clever mechanical and aesthetic design of the puzzles in The Room is what makes it work.
It was good. It was really, really good. I just marathoned it and only needed a hint once or twice, so the puzzles weren't too obtuse and actually made you feel smart when you finished some of them.

It's too bad it has the depth and length of a newgrounds flash game, but they do hint at making more room games.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

I'd like to enjoy Rad Soldiers more, but every menu in the game seems to ping back to the server and it fails fairly often. That and long load times.

Yeah it is a great game, but all of sudden the shop stopped working for me. The developer has said they don't know what causes it but that the plan is to fix it in the next update. However just the gameplay is amazing.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Comrade Flynn posted:

One of the most interesting things I've learned working in the mobile game industry is to never underestimate how much money the high end payers will pay for things. The stats I've seen on how much whales will spend is stunning. The key is trying to balance that with keeping a good experience for people that don't want to pay or won't spend much.
I saw a story about the Japanese gacha-based games a while back and it was loving insane. Basically your job as a designer is to target the .01% of gamers that are going to drop thousands a year on a game if you make it worth their while (i.e., if you make it addictive enough).

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Infectonator is currently free, usually a dollar. I haven't played it on my phone yet but it's a very popular flash game so I figured some of you would want to get it.

Also, Fairway Solitaire is really fun. It's a free demo with a $1 unlock-everything purchase. I love the pyramid solitaire games and this one is super well made and also is a very popular flash game. Well worth my dollar for the amount of content, there's like 500 levels. And I don't know if I'm just really good at it or nobody plays it either, but I have like half of the all time records.

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

drunken officeparty posted:

Infectonator is currently free, usually a dollar. I haven't played it on my phone yet but it's a very popular flash game so I figured some of you would want to get it.

Also, Fairway Solitaire is really fun. It's a free demo with a $1 unlock-everything purchase. I love the pyramid solitaire games and this one is super well made and also is a very popular flash game. Well worth my dollar for the amount of content, there's like 500 levels. And I don't know if I'm just really good at it or nobody plays it either, but I have like half of the all time records.

Sweet, I've been hoping someone would make an ios version.

As for fairway solitaire, it's really popular and you're probably decent. However the records are device specific and don't compare you to other players.

Edit - I have all the records! I am a super badass! Who has been playing this game for a long time.

Vulgar fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 7, 2013

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

I can vouch for this, it's just as awesome as the Flash version, and they recently did a Christmas update that adds even more stuff.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Vulgar posted:

Sweet, I've been hoping someone would make an ios version.

As for fairway solitaire, it's really popular and you're probably decent. However the records are device specific and don't compare you to other players.

Edit - I have all the records! I am a super badass! Who has been playing this game for a long time.

Wow I'm an idiot :doh:. I never really looked at the other names, they're all just generic First Lastinital. They should just leave it blank then :colbert:.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

KGBAgent185 posted:

Did the devs actually announce they were working on battle heart 2?

Yeah, Battleheart 2 is in the making. They call it a quasi sequel and it will be different, both in gameplay and graphics, but it's still Battleheart 2.

http://mikamobile.blogspot.com/2012/03/battleheart-2-sort-of.html
http://mikamobile.blogspot.com/2012/12/latest-news-from-mika-mobile.html
http://mikamobile.blogspot.com/2012/05/lessons-from-diablo-3.html

Bummey fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 7, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Regarding minigore 2, does anyone know if leveling up other characters makes them more powerful than the fully leveled-up John Gore (the default character)?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Is there an easy way to find out if games do cloud saving properly? This thread is resulting in me blowing up my iPad's storage space and I don't know if I can delete unfinished older games or not :ohdear:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

The Rokstar posted:

I saw a story about the Japanese gacha-based games a while back and it was loving insane. Basically your job as a designer is to target the .01% of gamers that are going to drop thousands a year on a game if you make it worth their while (i.e., if you make it addictive enough).

This isn't exclusive to the iOS or Android scene either, look at console games like Call of Duty where people are buying the game for $60 then buying a season pass for $50 and then buying that Elite thing for $50 more, effectively spending $160 on a single game.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

El Hefe posted:

This isn't exclusive to the iOS or Android scene either, look at console games like Call of Duty where people are buying the game for $60 then buying a season pass for $50 and then buying that Elite thing for $50 more, effectively spending $160 on a single game.

$160 is child's play in this context. We're talking about hundreds or even thousands of dollars. A better example would be free-to-play MMOs maybe. I was reading earlier how in guild wars 2 someone spent a grand to try to get a set of minipets or something that had a low drop chance during the holiday.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

El Hefe posted:

Elite IS the season pass unless they changed it with black ops 2. So more like $100 every year.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

SynthOrange posted:

I'd like to enjoy Rad Soldiers more, but every menu in the game seems to ping back to the server and it fails fairly often. That and long load times.

Hello, sir. What device are you using? I'll forward this on to the guys and see what we can dig up on this front!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

RAD Soldiers is basically unplayable on my 4. It loads really slowly, the framerate is poopy and crashes before I've ever been able to play.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Is there an easy way to find out if games do cloud saving properly? This thread is resulting in me blowing up my iPad's storage space and I don't know if I can delete unfinished older games or not :ohdear:

Use iFunbox and backup your games' save files.

Clocks posted:

$160 is child's play in this context. We're talking about hundreds or even thousands of dollars. A better example would be free-to-play MMOs maybe. I was reading earlier how in guild wars 2 someone spent a grand to try to get a set of minipets or something that had a low drop chance during the holiday.

IIRC the term for these people is 'whale' and yeah, they are the "spent X-thousand dollars over the last few months on IAP" people. You find them in MMOs like Dungeon Fighter, they're the people running around with new sets of event items on their characters because, hey, it's only $300 to buy a new set of avatars for my characters so why not.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004
SpaceChem is on sale for $2.99, down from $5.99. Appshopper says it has only ever gone on sale once before around a year ago so if you were waiting for it like I was, don't hesitate!

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Bummey posted:

RAD Soldiers is basically unplayable on my 4. It loads really slowly, the framerate is poopy and crashes before I've ever been able to play.

That's real curious, the only spec we had a bit of a noticeable drop was the 3GS, while the 4 onwards was smoother or better. Nothing in particular of your game, session amount, level or amount of gear that you have that could strike as peculiar?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Fishbus posted:

Hello, sir. What device are you using? I'll forward this on to the guys and see what we can dig up on this front!

I'm using an Ipad 2 and the store stopped working like 3 days ago.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Fishbus posted:

That's real curious, the only spec we had a bit of a noticeable drop was the 3GS, while the 4 onwards was smoother or better. Nothing in particular of your game, session amount, level or amount of gear that you have that could strike as peculiar?

I've never even been able to start a game, so it's not a matter of my saved data being too hot to trot.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Shwqa posted:

I'm using an Ipad 2 and the store stopped working like 3 days ago.

Where are you located? Have you closed+restarted that app? (this used to be an old fix for a bug similar to that)
I'll be in work tomorrow, ask around. I'll bring up the issue that Bummey mentioned as well.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Fishbus posted:

Where are you located? Have you closed+restarted that app? (this used to be an old fix for a bug similar to that)
I'll be in work tomorrow, ask around. I'll bring up the issue that Bummey mentioned as well.

America. Yes multiple times but oddly enough it just started working. Though for the past 3 days I tried about 4 times each day and it didn't work.

el Brainvomito
Dec 30, 2008

by T. Finninho

Necroneocon posted:

I donate a couple of bucks to Punchquest folks whenever I can. It's not fair that rear end in a top hat designers get money, where great designers who provide non-intrusive services get screwed.
I've been wondering this for a while why limitations of the game experience is the reason why people are so pissed off about these type of commercial games? I always thought the limitations were good to preserve the game to last little longer than play it for couple of hours and call it done, but I think the monetization aspect is quite skewed, when the idea is to reach out the whales rather than average users.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
On the one hand I agree with the fairness aspect, but if a free game provides me with enough stuff for free that I feel no need to buy more of that stuff, it wouldn't cross my mind to buy stuff I don't need to support the developer of the game (speaking from the POV of the average consumer here).

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
People spend insane amounts on online games. From thousands of dollars on Diablo 2 items to the same on Guardian Cross or Rage of Bahamut, In Marvel War of Heroes someone paid $650 for a Legendary Magneto a couple weeks ago. Cards selling for $100-$200 is pretty common and I can only imagine how many thousands have been spent hoping for one of those expensive cards in packs.

Usually the biggest spenders are also terrible at the games in question. It's always weird seeing people who obviously spent thousands on a game get destroyed by a player who took a little time to learn how to play.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!
The chance at getting cool poo poo for dropping a few bucks usually sucks me in (TF2 keys/crates). I'm just not really into the speed up or improve gameplay IAP however. I can understand why some people drop so much though on these timer based games, especially when they want to get ahead of the pack. It's insane that virtual CARDS are going for that much though :shrug:

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Fishbus posted:

The frame rate was terrible on my 4 when I downloaded this around Christmasish. It was my first time to play ever.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fishbus posted:

I was playing on my 4S phone and 3rd gen ipad. Load times didnt seem too different between the two, but still seemed longer than most other games. I had significant issues with my account when I tried logging with both devices, with the game not recognizing exp and levels gained between the two and continuously launching the free soldier selection on the second device I tried it on, my 4S, so I just wiped it from my ipad and continued just playing on my 4S. I'm located in Australia. Some days the store seems fine, but on others, trying to get into them is impossible.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

thedouche posted:

The frame rate was terrible on my 4 when I downloaded this around Christmasish. It was my first time to play ever.

Right. I tried a few times and gave up. Downloaded it a week or so later, tried some more, gave up again. It just wouldn't work.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Bummey posted:

There's a new Battleheart clone out, Sci-Fi Heroes. It's not great, has some slow down and rather long load times on a 4, but... whatever, more Battleheart-like gameplay and I'm totally okay with that. It's also free and loaded with iap. Battleheart 2 can't come soon enough.

I loved Battleheart, Ill definitely check this out, but is Battleheart 2 definitely on its way?

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Thanks for the Infectionator recommendation. I could never get into Plague Inc. or Pandemic because there never seemed to be much 'game' to it, aside from choosing virus characteristics and watching your virus spread across a map. This game actually gives you something to do.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Dvlos posted:

I loved Battleheart, Ill definitely check this out, but is Battleheart 2 definitely on its way?

On twitter they're saying Q1 of this year. edit: no they're not. I was wrong about Q1. Check out the blog posts I linked, though.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 8, 2013

iron_weasel
Oct 17, 2011

But then a tea bowl that is too perfect has no charm.
We are in the final stages of porting our game Rigonauts (see bellow for trailer) to iOS. We had a bug where the game would crash depending on the state of the user's device, but we believe this is fixed. In order to confirm we would like to do a final test with 10~20 people. Therefore, if a few people with iPad 2 or 3 would like to take the game for a spin we would be much appreciated. All that is required is:
1) Fill out the form at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dDExN2h5YnE0bGNjMmdXZS1vdF9zM1E6MQ
2) setup an account with your device at https://www.testflightapp.com
3) wait for us to tell you it is ready
4) install game via Test Flight
5) beat level 1 or tell us when it failed
Of course you can play as much of the game as you want. But we really only need to see if you can finish level 1.

If people don't like sharing their emails with us, then I could start a forum thread for the testing of the game and we could communicate through that.

here is a trailer for the steam version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxGsn81HV3k

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Bummey posted:

On twitter they're saying Q1 of this year.

I want to know where Nimblequest is.

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
Okay so in PunchQuest do you only get a hat when you ascend the first time? I've ascended twice after that and both times I've only gotten 10k punchos in return. I bought the IAP for double punchos yesterday to start saving for Spartan Mode and I'm starting to regret my decision. Pretty bored with grinding for money to buy Spartan Mode when I don't even know if it's worth it, even with the doubler.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I can finally start to show off the game I've been working on - Jones On Fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfWj-PHaHWk

... and yes, before you ask, it's an auto-runner - but! I've put a lot of time into the gameplay physics. It's not a genero one. This is a solid-feeling platformer where I just happen to have welded the run-right button down, to try and simplify the controls for mobile (in point of fact, the engine is powering the very not-autorunner platformer/Metroidvania thing I'm working on next). It's also built around levels and progression, rather than straight-up high scores. I'm trying to hit a middle ground between static levels and endless.

If that looks like something you'd dig, I'm just about to where I need some gameplay testers. No fancy bug reports necessary, I just need people that will play the game and tell me what is or isn't fun. Hit me up at megan@glassbottomgames.com or PM me with your TestFlight account details (if you don't have a TestFlight account, they're easy to make and free).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Hebug posted:

I want to know where Nimblequest is.

Opening the beta at the end of the month. Just one more major feature left to add before we open up testing (competitive guilds - kind of like flight crews in PP but more balanced for competition this time.)

• Locked thread