Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cheekio posted:

Come now, you can't give us this great series of McCain bashing stories and quotes without a source we can use to rub in people's faces. I want to be rock solid when somebody quotes McCain as anything besides a awful politician.

Rolling Stone detailed it back in 2008, right around November, I think. You can probably find it on wikipedia, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Death Himself posted:

That panel bothers me since Doom is literally a mass murderer isn't he? What the gently caress does he care some planes hit some buildings in some country he doesn't (yet) own?

He's never really engaged in mass murder like that. He generally only wants to rule everything because he's awesome and Reed Richards sucks. If innocents die it's incidental to his war, not because he target...

gently caress it, the 9/11 poo poo isn't even considered canon anyway. Let's get back to :doom:!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
All I know is the mistake of 9/11, led to the miracle of Spongebob Squarepants being able to conceive a child with Sandy the squirrel. That one's canon, right?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Comic book artists all went a little crazy in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. Not to knock them, I know that I spent a solid week pretty much totally out of my mind.

9-11 made almost everyone in the country get really stupid for a while. Tragedy makes people gullible, irrational, and vulnerable. What sucks is that what should have been a national coming together thing was hijacked by the American Right and neocons into expensive unrelated wars, while the 9-11 tragedy was invoked to silence critics of bad policy decisions by accusing them of somehow working with 'the enemy.' (The enemy in this instance being extremist nutjobs with boxcutters.)

Practically every loving right winger was using the '9-11 changed me' line as if 9-11 was a moment of born-again christian epiphany. It was maudlin and verbose. The worst of course, was when the right started attacking survivors and family members of 9-11 victims for daring to have political views that didn't lock-step with their own.

Just a friendly reminder of how depraved the American right wing media pundits have always been:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IwIRNM5noY
O'Reilly tried to use a 9-11 victim's family member as a 'liberal punching bag.' I say 'tried' because this kid figured out his game from observation and kicked his butt.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 7, 2013

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Cheekio posted:

Come now, you can't give us this great series of McCain bashing stories and quotes without a source we can use to rub in people's faces. I want to be rock solid when somebody quotes McCain as anything besides a awful politician.

Google McCain + crash. None of this is all that secret and many articles have been written on just how epic of a gently caress up he actually was, he doesn't really dispute any of it either, and the Navy has confirmed it as well. The problem is that the press loves him so when people bring this up (and many have many times) people start yelling at them for insulting a former POW who was tortured, but nobody disputes that he managed to daredevil a few planes into the ground, electrical wires, and a missile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCain

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/oct/06/nation/na-aviator6

quote:

John McCain was training in his AD-6 Skyraider on an overcast Texas morning in 1960 when he slammed into Corpus Christi Bay and sheared the skin off his plane's wings.

McCain recounted the accident decades later in his autobiography. "The engine quit while I was practicing landings," he wrote. But an investigation board at the Naval Aviation Safety Center found no evidence of engine failure.

The 23-year-old junior lieutenant wasn't paying attention and erred in using "a power setting too low to maintain level flight in a turn," investigators concluded.

The crash was one of three early in McCain's aviation career in which his flying skills and judgment were faulted or questioned by Navy officials.

In his most serious lapse, McCain was "clowning" around in a Skyraider over southern Spain about December 1961 and flew into electrical wires, causing a blackout, according to McCain's own account as well as those of naval officers and enlistees aboard the carrier Intrepid. In another incident, in 1965, McCain crashed a T-2 trainer jet in Virginia.

After McCain was sent to Vietnam, his plane was destroyed in an explosion on the deck of an aircraft carrier in 1967. Three months later, he was shot down during a bombing mission over Hanoi and taken prisoner.

For all intents and purposes if you want to make sure a plane is destroyed, give it to McCain and it will be a smouldering wreck in no time flat.

quote:

Some of those who were on the Forrestal and other persons familiar with the ordnance told me that because the rocket did not hit McCain’s craft, only actions by the pilot could have caused any bomb to fall from McCain’s Skyhawk. These sources—who spoke under the condition that they not be publicly identified—agree with each other that, if any bomb fell from the McCain airplane, it was because of actions that he took either in error or panic upon seeing the fire on the deck or in his hasty exit from the plane. Two switches in the cockpit of a Skyhawk need to be thrown to drop such a bomb, according to the sources.

Whatever the circumstances of the fire’s origins, McCain did not stay on deck to help fight the blaze as the men around him did.

In other words, McCain may have bombed the aircraft carrier he was on in a panic while his plane was on fire. McCain admits that the bombs came from his plane.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20081007_investigating_john_mccains_tragedy_at_sea/

SilentD fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 7, 2013

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Spacedad posted:

9-11 made almost everyone in the country get really stupid for a while. Tragedy makes people gullible, irrational, and vulnerable. What sucks is that what should have been a national coming together thing was hijacked by the American Right and neocons into expensive unrelated wars, while the 9-11 tragedy was invoked to silence critics of bad policy decisions by accusing them of somehow working with 'the enemy.' (The enemy in this instance being extremist nutjobs with boxcutters.)

Hey, it's an opportunity for me to post one of my favorite Tim Kreider quotes.

Tim Kreider posted:

This charge is also a confesssion. I reacted to 9/11 the same way as a lot of my compatriots: by going completely berserk. I wanted to see those responsible nuked, their squalid theocratic shithole nation turned into a vast flat rink of Trinitite that would glow a faint green at night for the next 30,000 years to remind the world that Americans, as a people, were not to be messed with. I wanted to release one of those viruses we keep deep underground behind 37 different failproof safeguards that's capable of depopulating Indonesia in a week. I'd utterly lost it. My own temporary insanity was shorter-lived than many of my fellow Americans', but I can't pretend it didn't happen. My fear turned into rage so quickly that it was easy to forget it had ever been fear at all. Anger is just fear that feels good.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tim-kreider/9-11-war-on-fear_b_1837192.html

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Victor von Doom posted:

The day 3000 civilians were killed was the most important day of your life. For me? It was Tuesday.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

prefect posted:

Hey, it's an opportunity for me to post one of my favorite Tim Kreider quotes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tim-kreider/9-11-war-on-fear_b_1837192.html
Some of the live recordings of the adjacent New Yorkers reacting around the time of the attack also displayed this behaviour. The air must have been thick with anger at the time.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

If we're talking about this, my experience as a sixteen-year-old was that my history teacher told us that this was nothing compared to the Cold War ending as our generation's defining moment, and we should ignore this blip. That's how I viewed it for a couple years. Strange, looking back, trying to pretend this wasn't A Thing.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

ufarn posted:

Some of the live recordings of the adjacent New Yorkers reacting around the time of the attack also displayed this behaviour. The air must have been thick with anger at the time.

Having been there, it was thicker with a huge anxiety for a long time before anger. You have to remember that attacking the towers basically knocked out radio communications in New York City. You could get some actual news radio, barely, and it was almost unlistenable because of the static and popping. I remember people standing around vans with the doors open and the radio turned up way loud trying to hear anything they could. Cell phones were also basically completely useless, and even if you did have signal the circuits were completely jammed. Payphones were also no go, and you got a pre-recorded "Due to the tornado in your area, your call could not be completed as dialed" message when you tried one.

For like 5-6 hours, no one knew how they were going to get off Manhattan Island either, subways, rail, bridges and tunnels were all shut down. I think people mostly focused on the anger because who wants to focus on the anxiety, but I also think that anxiety was by far the more prevalent of the two reactions, assuming there was a reaction at all. I remember very vividly seeing many, many people just going about their day like nothing was going on, and accosting several of them about it (not my finest hour).

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ufarn posted:

You have no idea. This article from The Onion is only very slightly satirical. I certainly felt this way on the day of and for a week or so afterwards.

The Onion posted:

Point: We Must Retaliate With Blind Rage
By Kent Doane

On Sept.11, 2001, America was hit by an unprecedented attack on its shores. The devastation and loss of life is incalculable. It is clear to me, as it should be to all Americans, what our nation must do: Retaliate with blind, violent rage, striking back with a fury and vengeance the likes of which modern man has never seen.

Counterpoint: We Must Retaliate With Measured, Focused Rage
By Larry Tempel

In this time of national tragedy, many people are letting their anger get the best of them. If I've learned anything in my life, it's that when you're dealing with a crisis, the worst thing you can do is let your emotions run wild. To react rashly will only exacerbate the problem in the long run.

Rather than be blinded by our collective anger, we must keep a cool head and, after careful consideration of the many complex social and geopolitical factors at work here, annihilate the pieces of poo poo who did this with measured, focused rage.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Spacedad posted:

Practically every loving right winger was using the '9-11 changed me' line as if 9-11 was a moment of born-again christian epiphany. It was maudlin and verbose. The worst of course, was when the right started attacking survivors and family members of 9-11 victims for daring to have political views that didn't lock-step with their own.

Just a friendly reminder of how depraved the American right wing media pundits have always been:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IwIRNM5noY
O'Reilly tried to use a 9-11 victim's family member as a 'liberal punching bag.' I say 'tried' because this kid figured out his game from observation and kicked his butt.

"Freedom Fries", dude.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

BiggerBoat posted:

"Freedom Fries", dude.

Ugh. Yeah, that was ignorant and petty on so many levels. Not just for the 'hurr hurr cheese eating surrender monkeys disagreeing with our terrible policy decisions' factor but the 'internationally ignorant American' factor because 'French' fries are Belgian. So not only were we attacking the wrong countries after 9-11, but we were using a food product for an insult that didn't even come from the country we were insulting - add to that the typical Francophobia that's been around forever and it's concoction of wholly American ignorance and embarrassment.

The Chick-Fil-A homophobes thing is like a throwback to then, when greasy fast food became a political battleground - they couldn't be acting more like the negative stereotypes that foreigners have of Americans any more if they tried.

If you want to summarize the stupidity of Americans in one phrase from that era, "freedom fries" is that phrase.

Another telling thing about that time period was that it spawned this documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDsnCrSfzCQ

It appeared as though people all over the world were getting dumber - more reactionary, belligerent in their ignorance, and so on. The truth is that they were just going through a period of intense irrationality - something which we're still struggling with today, but the 'fever broke' in certain areas over time. Part of that is due to the speed with which fact-checking online now occurs these days.

Also a lot of the kids who were angry at how stupid the country's attitude had gotten from that time grew up, and yes, we vote.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 7, 2013

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Today Rush was using a paper that asserted that pedos are wired differently and pedophilia is a legitimate (though morally and legally terrible) sexual persuasion as a launching point to say Liberals are going to make pedos normal just like gays. I couldn't roll my eyes and pick up my jaw at the same time.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

I guess Alex Jones is scheduled to be on Piers Morgan's show tonight.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Learn or Burn, Baby is the best slogan I've ever heard. This is how to encourage kids in school.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Aliquid posted:

If we're talking about this, my experience as a sixteen-year-old was that my history teacher told us that this was nothing compared to the Cold War ending as our generation's defining moment, and we should ignore this blip. That's how I viewed it for a couple years. Strange, looking back, trying to pretend this wasn't A Thing.

Sounds like you had a good history teacher.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Illumination posted:

The poo poo talk radio station in New Jersey was actually entertaining discussion of Chemtrails today, too. :tinfoil: Insane baby dissent is a great way to undermine intellectual dissent.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

BiggerBoat posted:

"Freedom Fries", dude.
The great thing about the Bush-era anti-French nonsense is that the Iraq war was (as I understand it) a very rare exception to the overall trend of France siding with the U.S. politically, and if anything France has been even more ridiculous than the U.S. in terms of anti-Muslim prejudice.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

McDowell posted:

The poo poo talk radio station in New Jersey was actually entertaining discussion of Chemtrails today, too. :tinfoil: Insane baby dissent is a great way to undermine intellectual dissent.

http://www.infowars.com/alex-jones-detained-by-tsa/

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

quote:

Traveling to New York to appear on CNN’s Piers Morgan Tonight, Jones had already showed his ID as he approached the metal detector. Jones and colleague Rob Dew noticed that a large number of people across all age ranges were not removing their shoes as they walked through the metal detector. The x-ray body scanners were not in use.

As soon as he approached security, Jones was addressed by a TSA screener who said, “Hello Mr. Jones,” indicating that she knew who he was, and immediately ordered him to remove his shoes.

When you make up stories at least try to not make these kind of stupid mistakes, Jones. I'm also calling absolute bullshit on this people walking through with their shoes on. It's a procedure, not something they enforce at will.

Some nice racism in the comments section.

quote:

Why is it that TSA only hires blacks with an attitude ? Its like that at most of the airports here in this state.
I was in law enforcement for a number of years and have witnessed numerous civil rights violation by TSA and the local police.
Its just the begging folks, just the tip of the iceberg!
I don’t fly anywhere anymore. And by the way, if you look big tough and rugged like some of us white former military types do, you can bet you rear end you will get the full treatment .

Oh, I don't know, probably because large airports are usually located close to impoverished areas that are predominately black neighborhoods? And yeah, generally big tough looking guys are singled out for security pat downs because those were the guys that were instrumental in the hijacking of airliners on 9/11! But then these are the same people that think the government did 9/11 so who the gently caress cares right?

quote:

HAMMER THERE rear end ALEX!
:stare: Oh my.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 8, 2013

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Guilty Spork posted:

The great thing about the Bush-era anti-French nonsense is that the Iraq war was (as I understand it) a very rare exception to the overall trend of France siding with the U.S. politically, and if anything France has been even more ridiculous than the U.S. in terms of anti-Muslim prejudice.

There are Americans who have had an insanely negative opinion of France since 1986.

quote:

For the Libyan raid, the United States was denied overflight rights by France, Spain and Italy as well as the use of European continental bases, forcing the Air Force portion of the operation to be flown around France, Spain and through the Straits of Gibraltar, adding 1,300 miles (2,100 km) each way and requiring multiple aerial refuelings. The French refusal alone added 2,800 km total, and was imposed despite the fact that France itself had been the target of terrorism directed by the Gaddafi government in Libya. French president Mitterrand refused its clearance because the United States refused to give to the French army all details about the operation and he did not want to authorize any foreign operation that couldn't be analysed by French authorities.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_United_States_bombing_of_Libya

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I like how the French weren't even necessarely opposed to it, they just had the audacity to demand being in the loop on the military operation using their air space.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Guilty Spork posted:

Also, there's the simple matter that France was right (to not join the coalition that invaded Iraq) and the United States has never been more wrong.

Oh, wait. Vietnam.

That was a weird time, for sure, and pretty much a benchmark when you think about how strongly FOX and the talk show blowhards were really able to establish a foothold in the national discourse in the wake of what happened. I remember going from sad, to angry, to a vague sense of nationalism and then in to a sort gradual state of disbelief as I watched our lawmakers, our military and our media exploit that day with a pervasive and peculiar mantra of "picking sides".

It got to the point where I felt like the only one on the planet scratching my head and wondering if an Iraq invasion made any sense while all around me people questioned my patriotism for even daring to think about it. When things started turning to poo poo, the dittoheads started accusing sane minded people of rooting for the U.S. to lose. The fact that anyone who opposed the Iraq war was right is lost on these blowhards.

Bush's handling of 9/11, with the help of a complicate "liberal media" and the out and out cheer leading of the "right wing media", is the one thing I have the hardest time forgiving him for. Man, what an opportunity he/they squandered. Had the response been handled correctly, he could have gone down in history as a great president and the GOP probably would never have had to look back.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 8, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Death Himself posted:

That panel bothers me since Doom is literally a mass murderer isn't he? What the gently caress does he care some planes hit some buildings in some country he doesn't (yet) own?

How about the fact that Juggernaut is there and he in a lovely X-force/Spider-man crossover attacked the trade centers.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, there's the simple matter that France was right (to not join the coalition that invaded Iraq) and the United States has never been more wrong.

Oh, wait. Vietnam.

France was also wrong in Vietnam.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

karthun posted:

France was also wrong in Vietnam.

They were right to get out though, which is when the US had to swing its balls around and prove how much more wrong it could be.

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.
It will never cease to fascinate me that US designs on Vietnam were in no way, shape or form deterred by the debacle at Dien Bien Phu.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Orange Devil posted:

They were right to get out though, which is when the US had to swing its balls around and prove how much more wrong it could be.

But we couldn't let the commies take over. :downs:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

platedlizard posted:

But we couldn't let the commies take over. :downs:

Dominoes, ect.

Job Creator
Apr 3, 2009

the2ndgenesis posted:

It will never cease to fascinate me that US designs on Vietnam were in no way, shape or form deterred by the debacle at Dien Bien Phu.

IIRC the French were pretty successful against the Viet Minh in the early stages of the war, which led them to develop the Guerilla tactics that eventually pushed both the French and the U.S out.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

the2ndgenesis posted:

By that point we were essentially bankrolling the French occupation so we figured in for a penny in for a pound. Though to be fair for a few years afterward we were mostly concerned with propping up Diem and screwing over the peasant farmers.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 8, 2013

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

watt par posted:

By that point we were essentially bankrolling the French occupation so we figured in for a penny in for a pound. Though to be fair for a few years afterward we were mostly concerned with propping up Diem and screwing over the peasant farmers.

Don't forget Buddhist monks. :eng101:

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Crasscrab posted:

Dominoes, ect.

Personally I prefer Garlic Jim's.

It's really funny how that whole thing played out. After the US got pushed out the Khmer Rogue decided to invade Vietnam. The Vietnamese, who had just defeated one of the premiere military forces in the world, were pretty quick to counter-invade and set up a different, Viet-friendly government. This mostly ended Khmer Rouge's dominance over Cambodia... except now the Khmer Rouge was seen as anti-Vietnamese (and therefore anti-PRC and anti-Soviet Union) by the West, despite being dirty commies who murdered millions of people. Western countries supported the Khmer Rouge and gave Cambodia's seat in the UN to them until 1993.

Gotta keep those dominoes from falling at any cost, I guess.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Illumination posted:

Holy poo poo, I've never seen AJ outside of the internet. Does he always melt down like this?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Koalas March posted:

Holy poo poo, I've never seen AJ outside of the internet. Does he always melt down like this?

That's the photo he decided to post on his own website to indicate he was the reasonable party in his confrontation with the TSA. Make of that what you will.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Alex Jones is loving insane.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
You gotta admit, he's always on.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

That 'interview' was amazing. I like how Piers coaxed the truther rant out of him at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

This article has it all. I would have paid good money to watch that giant man-baby throw a tantrum at airport security. Here's hoping someone in the line had a camera phone.