Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
I thought that was the Autobot symbol behind the headlight. loving sexy though, what is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Judging by the Yamaha logo and the writing on the wheels and Google's autocomplete feature, it's the Yamaha XTW250 Ryoku concept.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
The belly pan, I forget what it's called, can be attached to the handle on the side and used as a shovel.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That's the bash plate, I think. That thing is awesome and I want one.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
110V A/C outlets. That's ADV as gently caress.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
That'd be great for video calls in the middle of nowhere - "Hang on, batteries running low *revs for twenty minutes*".

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

hayden. posted:

From reddit:

That little slider donut thing on the clutch cover looks great. Those should be on every bike.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

It looks like LEGO brought to life.

(Would ride)

Tonka toy, surely? It's even the right colour.

clutchpuck posted:

YES (in before complaining about ride-ability) is that an old Honda?

You can't just dismiss that though. Bikes should be rideable and anything on a bike that makes it less rideable had better be there to make it go a shitload faster or otherwise better. Everything about that bike is poo poo and pose-y and the whole thing is just a melange of "This looks cool put it in" with absolutely no understanding of what the design features are supposed to be - a speedway-style exhaust mounted at scrambler height (and so as to block access to the kick-start), knobbly tyres with ace bars and tank. It's a loving mess and might as well be one of those ridiculous things they make on American Chopper.

Anyway have a picture of a thing:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Bikes should be rideable and anything on a bike that makes it less rideable had better be there to make it go a shitload faster or otherwise better. Everything about that bike is poo poo and pose-y and the whole thing is just a melange of "This looks cool put it in" with absolutely no understanding of what the design features are supposed to be - a speedway-style exhaust mounted at scrambler height (and so as to block access to the kick-start), knobbly tyres with ace bars and tank. It's a loving mess and might as well be one of those ridiculous things they make on American Chopper.

I don't know what the right smiley is for this. :allears:? Seriously, I really tremendously agree with this sentiment.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

might as well be one of those ridiculous things they make on American Chopper.

To me it's indistinguishable, same 'design' ethos with different parts and proportions plugged in. It appeals to the same mentality, just in a different clique of wannabe.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Aye, that bike got my goat too but I held my tongue.

On top of what twisto has pointed out there's no concession for road usage; no plate, headlight, brake light or indicators, so it's strictly an off road track bike. But what kind of track? You wouldn't want to do twisty roads on those knobblies, nor straight-line speed; They're going to weave like a motherfucker. The narrow cafe bars would make it pretty miserable for using it on dirt, where do you use this thing?

It's actually less practical than some of the American Chopper bikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is normally where someone pops in and tries to scold CA for only liking SV's.

I think the idea behind that bike was probably pretty cool, but the execution is terrible (like 99.99999...% of custom bikes)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is normally where someone pops in and tries to scold CA for only liking SV's.

I think the idea behind that bike was probably pretty cool, but the execution is terrible (like 99.99999...% of custom bikes)

If it helps I dislike SVs too.

I think what annoys me most about that bike is that it *could* have been so much better. Move that exhaust down to the height of the wheel hubs and route it down the left, shorten the frame by a foot or two and slap some Speedmasters on it and you'd have something that - even if it was a bitch to actually ride - would actually look like a motorbike with a purpose rather than a prepubescent pre-war schoolboys doodle.

A motorbike that's not made to be ridden is just the saddest and most terrible thing because there's an intimacy between rider and bike that doesn't exist with most mechanical objects (well at least when fully clothed). A bike is a beautiful thing because it should evoke feelings of what riding is like, not be used as a design study. It's like those insane dog breeders who insist that breeds must have drastically shortened lifespans and horribly painful genetic conditions just to abide to some arbitrary standard of perfection.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think what annoys me most about that bike is that it *could* have been so much better. Move that exhaust down to the height of the wheel hubs and route it down the left, shorten the frame by a foot or two and slap some Speedmasters on it and you'd have something that - even if it was a bitch to actually ride - would actually look like a motorbike with a purpose rather than a prepubescent pre-war schoolboys doodle.

I'd go the other way. Add some dirt bars, bare alloy mudguards and keep the high-line exhaust, but flip it to run down the left side and add a heat shield. I think it would make quite a cool vintage-style scrambler.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'd go the other way. Add some dirt bars, bare alloy mudguards and keep the high-line exhaust, but flip it to run down the left side and add a heat shield. I think it would make quite a cool vintage-style scrambler.

Yeah, that also works.

As does this but part of me is rebelling against the over/under frame with USD forks.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

That's amazing.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Virago

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

I love Virago brats

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Only registered members can see post attachments!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

What's going on with that front wheel? Is that an aftermarket disk brake install so they've had to leave the drum brake hubs in place to mount it to and keep the wheels, or is it supposed to just look like that, or what?

(Also Virago is the funniest name for a bike ever)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I figure they sourced a pair of rear wheels from something to make those, or it's like that for looks.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The front wheel is a modded back wheel. Also modded viragos are the best viragos.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Before looking at these pics, I never realized the Virago's engine was a stressed member.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

Before looking at these pics, I never realized the Virago's engine was a stressed member.

Accelerate too hard and slide off the back of one of those seats and that won't be the only stressed member.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
What's that engine? And where the hell is its radiator hiding?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It's the Ape/Rotax 1000 twin, the radiator (with its puller fans) is up under the saddle.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Accelerate too hard and slide off the back of one of those seats and that won't be the only stressed member.

Accelerate too hard? We're talking about a Virago here, right?

HA! I knew I'd see a WA plate in that photo if I looked; seattle.jpg :)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't worry, the virago isn't fast enough to do that.

I bought a virago after seeing all the custom ones with the intent of doing something equally as cool.
Yeah I realized about a month into ownership that the bike was a terrible shitpile and no amount of customization would change that.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

it's an Aprilia RSV motor and the rad is up under the seat.
http://www.bikeexif.com/aprilia-rsv-taimoshan

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
This beemer looks nice but what happens if I deftly fall off the back of the saddle?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Odds are you're a dentist, so that work should be fairly cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGBOmoJ3YSQ
My favorite part is the stock exhaust.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 8, 2013

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

clutchpuck posted:

This beemer looks nice but what happens if I deftly fall off the back of the saddle?

If you are falling off the back of a motorcycle that you are riding then you have some other serious problems. Like possibly your arms aren't working.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Valt posted:

If you are falling off the back of a motorcycle that you are riding then you have some other serious problems. Like possibly your arms aren't working.

I didn't think it was a particularly valid concern, myself.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Clearly you haven't ridden a VMax. That stepped seat isn't just a design detail.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbgjKjZxhHc

:stare:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There was an article in a cycling magazine here recently about a pair of guys who had built their own wall of death barrel and basically taught themselves how to ride it. They ride beat-up old 30s Indian bikes with basically no protective gear during shows. Their story now, after doing it for a few years was basically that you have to be a masochist to do poo poo like that, because you will hurt yourself. A lot.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
All the clubs have been closed down...?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

one of our interns has a rebel! (Him on the left, in his riding gear, gunna try to change that)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

clutchpuck posted:

All the clubs have been closed down...?

This is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

SaNChEzZ posted:

one of our interns has a rebel! (Him on the left, in his riding gear, gunna try to change that)

Ryca has a bobber kit for the S40 that produces something like this, presumably with a little more power, and I'm tempted to try it out.