Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Xovaan posted:

Janky, goofy bikes are the best bikes. Riding a new and shiny motorized bicycle for some backwater Floridian mongoloid busa pirate mohawk ego boost is the reason most motorcyclists are terrible. Unless a motorcycle looks like it ultimately made Boeing lose a bid for an 80's government aircraft contract then it isn't worth riding.

I used to only like Triumph 993 style bikes. This brought me round to appreciate the big 80's headlights and pastel colours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Seller's images:

Picking it up tonight, can't wait for it to dry off outside so I can warp time and space.

Got it for $5k with under 5k miles and great condition. He had the exhaust professionally installed and dyno tuned and supposedly makes 179hp at the rear wheel. It's got brand new Dunlop Q2 tires which are nice, but supposedly suck in the wet (it's wet here half the time).

hayden. fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 8, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Just make sure to shred them this summer and get some PR2s on there :)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So this happened:

Looks like a dog, rides like a champ.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
So this makes your riding history a CX500, 2 Daytona 675s, a WR250X, and then a CX500 Turbo.

nice

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Not mine, but I've got it for the day while my VTR250 is having a service and tyres:

Honda NSS250. Handles okay, but it's pretty gutless to accelerate and I just can't get over the weird reversed brakes (front on the left, rear on the right), and the feet-forward riding position just worries me.

Here it is next to my Street Triple R showing a butt only Sir Mix-A-Lot could love:

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

SaNChEzZ posted:

So this happened:

You're my forums hero.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

loving fantastic. How does it ride?

Also, more pics. I wanna see the cute widdle turbo :3:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Just had my first long ride on the ZX14. It was a little less comfortable than I was hoping for, but oh well, may as well enjoy it while I'm young and it isn't torture. I can tell I will probably never redline it in any gear perhaps maybe first, but even then only rarely. Top speed limit around here is 55 so doing 90 is pretty bad.

The power isn't wasted, though. I feel like I'm in the powerband at any RPM and any gear. It pulls like crazy even accelerating from 3k RPM. Doing a u-turn was pretty hard in my thick electric gloves because of my fear that I'd pop the clutch out too fast and fall over. I probably just need to adjust the engagement point.

I can tell already I probably won't have this bike more than a year or so, but it's something I've always wanted and there's no time like the present.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

hayden. posted:

Just had my first long ride on the ZX14. It was a little less comfortable than I was hoping for, but oh well, may as well enjoy it while I'm young and it isn't torture. I can tell I will probably never redline it in any gear perhaps maybe first, but even then only rarely. Top speed limit around here is 55 so doing 90 is pretty bad.

Not sure what your specific concerns were but an aftermarket seat and adjustable footpegs go a long way. Kawis are kind of notorious for really lovely stock seats. And of course the clipons can be modded if you want.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Seat and pegs weren't bad, it was mostly the weight on my wrists I didn't like. I could get some risers probably, but last I looked they're several hundred dollars, required cable extensions, and possibly has clearance issues with the windshield. It's a lot of hassle and it doesn't matter a bunch to me.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Yeah, I kinda guessed the issue was with the bars. It's a long reach to low bars. Most owners seem to compensate by growing a big beer belly to rest on the tank, so you could always try a tank bag with a pillow in it :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yeah, I kinda guessed the issue was with the bars. It's a long reach to low bars. Most owners seem to compensate by growing a big beer belly to rest on the tank

Hey I resemble that remark! :mad:

I had similar complaints with my ZG1400 connie when I first had it. I realize they are not the same bike (although IIRC the seats actually are interchangeable) but I actually took the risers out of mine as they shifted my weight so much my rear end hurt.

The biggest improvement I made, by far was getting rid of the OEM seat and going with the Corbin saddle. It is a little lower (hence changes the geometry of your riding position) but it made all the difference in the world. It actually has less padding, but was significantly more comfortable.

Also, I like the red. I don't know if I've ever seen one in red before.

Also, redlining that thing in first will probably have you at 70+ MPH.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Be sure to keep the mods in mind... and spend some time on something else before selling it and trading out. Riding something like that is going to ruin you for anything else. If you're like most you'll always regret selling it when you hit a nice stretch of open road, and eventually end up buying another one all over again.

There's a reason the communities around drag bikes are insane with mods in all sorts of directions. There's obviously those that take a powerful bike and strive to make it even more powerful, and others get them and try to tame them into all purpose machines.

The Gen-1 V-Max I mentioned has a how-to for everything from basics like suspension and brakes, to complicated like full front end swaps, and driveshaft or carb swaps for mpg increases, to complex like shaft to chain drive conversions, EFI and COPS conversions. Many get so tired of other bikes not quite making the cut they've gone and done some amazing things.

This:

Turns into this stuff:

I'm sure there are equally nutty things done to the ZX-14. Join the forums around them and look around, you might be surprised by how affordable and common the mods are to address the bike's shortcomings.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

hayden. posted:

Just had my first long ride on the ZX14. It was a little less comfortable than I was hoping for

This is like every first ride on any bike ever.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

My Ninja 650 was pretty drat comfortable bone stock!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

So this makes your riding history a CX500, 2 Daytona 675s, a WR250X, and then a CX500 Turbo.

nice

You're forgetting the one that started it all, the SV650! And the XS1100, but that never ran, so dunno if that counts.

slidebite posted:

loving fantastic. How does it ride?

Also, more pics. I wanna see the cute widdle turbo :3:

I have yet to take the tupperware off, but when I do I will definitely take pictures of everything under there. It rides great, it's a dog on the low end, ok in the middle, and I have yet to get it up to speed really, I didn't want it to grenade on the 60 mile ride home. Comfy as hell too. I'll take some more detailed pictures later, thing's cherry. Not even an oil leak anywhere. Could use some new brake fluid though.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 8, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

nice

It's like a glorious parabola. X axis 'time', Y axis 'less awesomely 80's'

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

SaNChEzZ posted:

So this happened:

that thing is way too clean for it's own good.
next step: massive turbo and a fully open supertrapp exhaust.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

that thing is way too clean for it's own good.
next step: massive turbo and a fully open supertrapp exhaust.

Only if he keeps the bigass chrome TURBO lettering.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Absolutely. I love how it says "TURBO" in 3 separate places in one photo.

Also, you buying this is making me look yet AGAIN for a Kawasaki 750 Turbo. No luck thank god

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

slidebite posted:

Absolutely. I love how it says "TURBO" in 3 separate places in one photo.

Also, you buying this is making me look yet AGAIN for a Kawasaki 750 Turbo. No luck thank god

The dude I bought it from has one. He's got every turbo from the 80s minus the Suzuki. Cx500,650 Kawasaki, Yamaha, and a super nice cbx.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SaNChEzZ posted:

The dude I bought it from has one. He's got every turbo from the 80s minus the Suzuki. Cx500,650 Kawasaki, Yamaha, and a super nice cbx.

Post the pic of the CBX.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Post the pic of the CBX.

Awww, Z3n has a man crush :swoon:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

SaNChEzZ posted:

He sounds like the kind of person I want to be :love:

Why did he break up the collection? Or does he have another 500?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Screw posting pics, let's buy the guy an account.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Awww, Z3n has a man crush :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8tkVSKb77Y

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Bad picture, but:

Solo seat, paint, 2" extended swingarm to match the new solo seat's length, GSXr front end adapting the stock front wheel, chromed wheels, pod filters, 6->2 exhaust for looks, he said he had a 6->1 but liked this one better. :swoon:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Almost three years after getting creamed by a Ford Explorer, my family's nerves have settled to the point where I feel like it won't kill them for me to be on a bike again, so I bought a dual sport.

'95 DR350SE, 12k miles. New rear tire, new battery, and recent service at the dealer. Supertrapp Exhaust and jetted but otherwise stock. i put on new mirrors, new grips, and removed the bark busters (one was broken). Took it for a nice misty ride today since it was an unseasonably warm 41 degrees in PA.

This is me being surprised while installing the plate:

Here it is today after my ride:

Now I just need a new jacket seeing as my current Joe Rocket is going on 7 years old, 20k miles and at least one size too big since I lost almost 80 pounds.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Welcome back, friend.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

SaNChEzZ posted:

So this happened:

Nice find, I'm jealous! I have an odd fascination with early turbo bikes. I ride a CX500 Custom right now and would LOVE to try out the turbo model. I mean TURBO model.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Almost three years after getting creamed by a Ford Explorer, my family's nerves have settled to the point where I feel like it won't kill them for me to be on a bike again, so I bought a dual sport.

'95 DR350SE, 12k miles. New rear tire, new battery, and recent service at the dealer. Supertrapp Exhaust and jetted but otherwise stock. i put on new mirrors, new grips, and removed the bark busters (one was broken). Took it for a nice misty ride today since it was an unseasonably warm 41 degrees in PA.

This is me being surprised while installing the plate:

Now I just need a new jacket seeing as my current Joe Rocket is going on 7 years old, 20k miles and at least one size too big since I lost almost 80 pounds.

Love those old DR350s... :krad: 90s

Welcome back

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Shouting Melon posted:

Here it is next to my Street Triple R showing a butt only Sir Mix-A-Lot could love:

I keep forgetting you live in my neck of the woods. Need to do a weir road goonride.

Striple R's are great. Need to go and get the rear tyre replaced on mine tomorrow, I've been a bit too ambitious with it lately and the rubber has paid the price.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

PuntCuncher posted:

I keep forgetting you live in my neck of the woods. Need to do a weir road goonride.

Striple R's are great. Need to go and get the rear tyre replaced on mine tomorrow, I've been a bit too ambitious with it lately and the rubber has paid the price.

What rubber are you getting? I need to get mine replaced on my R very soon too, and while I've never had a problem with the pirelli diablo super corsas (christ what a mouthful) I wonder if there's something better or at least comparable while longer lasting.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

What rubber are you getting? I need to get mine replaced on my R very soon too, and while I've never had a problem with the pirelli diablo super corsas (christ what a mouthful) I wonder if there's something better or at least comparable while longer lasting.

I've got 8500miles out of PR3s on my Spiple(?). Rear is at the wear markers with the front looking new. Love these tyres, have ridden them through near icy to +40oC conditions and they've been spot on.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

The PDSC are a great, sticky, lovely tyre.. that I utterly destroy and waste on my commuting. Just isn't worth me owning them :(

I put a Michelin Pilot Road 3 on the back today.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
After itching to get a supermoto for a few years since I sold my DRZ, I finally bit the bullet on a WR250X on CL that was too good of a deal to pass up.

Seller photo:

I got it for $3500 with 13k miles and a ton of mods: FMF full exhaust, power commander, pro taper bars, yamalink, custom windshield, 520 kit with -1f/+2r sprockets, modded air box with k&n filter and all of the original parts. The thing absolutly rips for a 250cc bike, a bit of gas and a tug on the bars in 2nd gear brings the front up pretty easy. I bought it right before some of the worst weather we have had this season and only got to ride it for the first time last week, after putting on some new handguards. (the handguards in the seller's pic did not come with the bike)

The previous owner was a motocross racer but talked about and had obviously put a lot of love and attention into the bike and was really sad to see it go. I'm pumped because besides the handguards, there isn't a single mod I want to do to the bike. It's such a joy to ride.

Besides that, I still have my 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 that I have left over from my divorce:

I bought it for my wife when I was married, she wrecked it twice before she decided that she was done with it and shortly after we divorced. I tried to sell the scooter multiple times but since it was stock, blue, wrecked and pretty ugly no one wanted to buy it. I did some searching around and ended up figuring out that factory plastics were not terribly expensive for these bikes, I ended up getting all of the factory plastics painted factory black for under $300. On top of that I added an NCY exhaust, NCY flat handlebars, NCY rear shock, new grips, and JDM (YO) factory front and rear blinkers and brake light. I think the bike turned out pretty good for a Vino, the exhaust was a noticeable bump in top end power, I am able to do about 63 mph on the highway flatout. It's a great summer ride.

I also have this thing, a 1997 Triumph T595, which needs a lot of work still. My friend wrecked it at the track and only half put it back together, it won't start and it's been sitting a long time. I have a feeling it's going sit for a while since I got the WR.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
So this is what my bike is looking like now. Next up is a set of custom bars being made right now, wanna work on that rear fender, and new exhaust. Also some functional stuff as well like a new front brake line, etc.

Check out my Instagram for more photos. http://instagram.com/el_fracno

It's dirty and some things need work but it's mine and I love it and I ride the gently caress out of it.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Ohms posted:

So this is what my bike is looking like now. Next up is a set of custom bars being made right now, wanna work on that rear fender, and new exhaust. Also some functional stuff as well like a new front brake line, etc.

Check out my Instagram for more photos. http://instagram.com/el_fracno

It's dirty and some things need work but it's mine and I love it and I ride the gently caress out of it.

I usually hate the custom-painted tank bs but something about that....looks good man. I even like the dirtiness of it, as opposed to how clean that tank looks. Ever think about chopping that fender?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Nice bike, I think I may have seen that around on CL. We'll have to go for a ride sometime, you know since fat heavy cruisers and dual sports are so similar.