Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
My chapter is going to be 2nd person, i.e, HIGH ART.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

bigmcgaffney posted:

My chapter is going to be 2nd person, i.e, HIGH ART.

Make it a mini CYA goosebumps book.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Mutato posted:

Welcome to the watchlist, friend.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Mutato posted:

I am now humming the themesong to the Goosebumps show, complete with dog barking.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

^^^^
gently caress. You.

e: the twist was they were going to earth aahhhhhhh

ee: nooo the gremlin in the computer just moved over to your friend's place !!!

eee: thinkin about making half a chapter just quotes from niceguysofokcupid.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

SaviourX posted:

Blade_of_Tyshalle, if you could really "NICE GUYTM" up Blorah Blormont to be the most fedora wearing redditor ever, that would loving own.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Actually, Jonah Mammon is a total creepazoid and probably a bit of a rapist. But these aren't mutually exclusive concepts, so...

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

SaviourX posted:

Self promotion isn't allowed buddy.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm sincerely writing chapter 28 as a Choose Your Own Adventure book. Thelonius will either slay the anime body pillow, become it's new love slave, die 3 ways from it, fall off a cliff, drown, end up his random female mooks love slave, or find the hidden dwarf village and become a level 5 paladin.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Someone post the Game of Bones link to the GoT Facebook page, here: https://www.facebook.com/GameOfThrones?fref=ts

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azure_Horizon posted:

Someone post the Game of Bones link to the GoT Facebook page, here: https://www.facebook.com/GameOfThrones?fref=ts

So I was thinking...

1) get a facebook page
2) I will purchase a FB ad campaign, it will target people with interests "GoT, GRRM, Furry, etc".
3) I will only purchase "sponsored" ads, which means it will show up in the feeds of these fans.
4) Reap the Whirlwind

This is your all party, so I don't want to just sweep in and reg the FB page... ah actually, I will.. but I'll hand it over to ya'll authors. Just ping me. Consider the ad buy my minor contribution to this clusterfuck. I will wait to purchase ads until GoB is on amazon/itunes.

The page needs 25 likes to register the URL facebook.com/gameofbones

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Game-of-Bones/186692488138540

If you have already regg'd a fb page, let me know, and I'll delete mine.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

Arbite posted:

Also, Thorn, there should be three buys (one direct and two gift) from the same person in the next 24 hours, let me know if that doesn't happen.

I haven't seen this happen, by the way. Are you blackmailing someone to buy the book?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

thornghost posted:

I haven't seen this happen, by the way. Are you blackmailing someone to buy the book?

clearly they are trading sex for online purchases

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I thought we were holding off ad campaigns until we get on Amazon?

Also we might want to consider advertising here. Goons would be a nice source of income.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Commercial ads here are $30 per banner, and you have to compete with :getswole: and :amazon:, so it's a toss-up.

What do sponsored ads on fbook cost?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

But an ad linking to a post which has all the purchasing information would be much cheaper!

Also, those buys should have come from a bet another guy lost. I'll look into it further.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
An SA Banner ad is $7.99 if it links to an SA thread.

Therefore, someone can start a thread in SA Mart (check with mod) or just have DMP update the OP so the very top of the post is the ad and link to smashwords/Amazon.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Well I can pony up the dough for one ad (no more than that, sorry I'm loving poor) if you guys want. But you fuckers better come up with a drat good banner because I sure as poo poo don't have one. Here's my suggestion: I've been stupid enough to click on those ads that have the women in those skimpy anime cosplays so maybe do something like that. Of course, my data pool so far consists of me so take that for what you will in terms of marketing research.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Contra Calculus posted:

Well I can pony up the dough for one ad (no more than that, sorry I'm loving poor) if you guys want. But you fuckers better come up with a drat good banner because I sure as poo poo don't have one. Here's my suggestion: I've been stupid enough to click on those ads that have the women in those skimpy anime cosplays so maybe do something like that. Of course, my data pool so far consists of me so take that for what you will in terms of marketing research.

Definitely hot cosplay girls, they are irresistible even though I know the link will just lead to anime or video games. I would also be willing to buy an ad for this.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

p.crestmont posted:

Definitely hot cosplay girls, they are irresistible even though I know the link will just lead to anime or video games.
Where would we find any that are willing to cosplay Demi Turduckyen, though?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

p.crestmont posted:

Definitely hot cosplay girls, they are irresistible even though I know the link will just lead to anime or video games. I would also be willing to buy an ad for this.

Hot cosplay GRRMs.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dead Man Posting posted:

I thought we were holding off ad campaigns until we get on Amazon?

Also we might want to consider advertising here. Goons would be a nice source of income.

I will wait to purchase ads until GoB is on amazon/itunes.

SaviourX posted:

Commercial ads here are $30 per banner, and you have to compete with :getswole: and :amazon:, so it's a toss-up.

Not sure, the cost varies. I will set a daily budget, and the ad runs until it uses that up. I think its funny as poo poo, so I'm just going to spend some money on it for fun and to troll GRMMsters. If it is actually profitable, I'm sure someone else can figure out how to do the ad spend.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I think AGOB being published prodded GRRM into action:

NihilCredo posted:

Speaking of GRRM, the good news is that he's writing. The bad news is that he's writing "fake history", which sounds less like Winds of Winter than that cash-grab splatbook nobody cares about.
The linked-to Not A Blog entry is entitled "Parris Is Coming...", by the way.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I like how the very first comment boils down to "write the loving book, George".

Senator Incitatus
Dec 31, 2012
I just read this sample chapter from TWoW. Reading the various preview chapters it looks like TWoW won't be another AFFC.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I agree with making a new thread in SA Mart that explains details of the book, along with links to available retailers and to this thread, rather than using this thread to sell the book.

I also agree with holding off buying ANY ad until the book is on Amazon.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Well, last night I had a dream where I found and was reading The Winds of Winter, and at first it honestly seemed like the next book of the series, but it rapidly degenerated into a National Lampoon farce which ended with things like Cersai being shoved into the rear end in a top hat of some giant creature and GRRM turning into a giant monster whose rear end in a top hat may or may not have been what Cersei was shoved in and rampaging through a town. I blame this thread. I hope it's happy and that I inspired a scene in A Dance With Dongs or whatever it's called.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
That was no dream...

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Contra Calculus posted:

That was no dream...

Well, there was one.

But it was of spring.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SaviourX posted:

I've done this for another writer's account and it ranges from $5 to $500 depending on how many of your follower's friends you want to target.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dead Man Posting posted:

I agree with making a new thread in SA Mart that explains details of the book, along with links to available retailers and to this thread, rather than using this thread to sell the book.

I also agree with holding off buying ANY ad until the book is on Amazon.

Pretty much this.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Cornwind Evil posted:

Well, last night I had a dream where I found and was reading The Winds of Winter, and at first it honestly seemed like the next book of the series, but it rapidly degenerated into a National Lampoon farce which ended with things like Cersai being shoved into the rear end in a top hat of some giant creature and GRRM turning into a giant monster whose rear end in a top hat may or may not have been what Cersei was shoved in and rampaging through a town. I blame this thread. I hope it's happy and that I inspired a scene in A Dance With Dongs or whatever it's called.
Not only is Master Martendale a wombman, he's also a secret kaiju.

Senator Incitatus posted:

I just read this sample chapter from TWoW. Reading the various preview chapters it looks like TWoW won't be another AFFC.
It won't be another AFFC for several reasons, not the least of which is that it's nowhere near halfway done according to GRRM.

Edit: In the latest TWOW preview, we're back to Dorne with Arianne!

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 9, 2013

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

It won't be another AFFC for several reasons, not the least of which is that it's nowhere near halfway done according to GRRM.

Not sure what to think. Needs editing/tightening? Kinda disjointed.

But, Darkstar.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

thornghost posted:

Sorry guys, out of town and stuck on my phone.

I was thinking we'd hold off on the marketing blitz until it hit he Amazon and Apple stores. Here's why: Purchasing on Smashwords requires a Smashwords account, which few people have and wemight lose them because of it. We'll likely have a much higher return on our efforts when people can buy them through stores they already use, because it removes that barrier. For our launch on those stores, we'll have to wait on inclusion to the Smashwords premium catalog which should be any time now. Smashwords provided us with a free ISBN and ebook conversion, which made it super simple and with no overhead for this first book. If all goes well, we may consider a premium paid service next time.

Consider our current state as "soft launch". Feel free to promote the book, but I think our efforts will pay off more if we wait a bit.

Well, since no one has mentioned this, A GAME OF BONES WILL NEVER GET ON AMAZON THRU SMASHWORDS. They say they ship to Amazon, but that's been a pending deal/vaporware/wishful thinking for years now and it will never happen. You have to put it on Amazon yourself through their KDP program. Smashwords is also VERY hit or miss when it comes to propagating to the iTunes store, and you'll have to check that it's there yourself. If it gets rejected from the iBookstore for whatever reason you will never find out what that reason is. Make any blurbs as clean as possible to get on iTunes, and make a disclaimer that all characters who engage in boning are over 18. The cover is okay for getting on iTunes, but you might as well just drop five bucks for an image off a site like CanStockPhoto or whatever to get something better. You can also get onto iTunes through Lulu and I hear the wait time is significantly less (I have a bunch of titles from November still waiting to get onto iTunes from SW; it is a huge pain in the rear end).

But you know, rape, lemoncakes, I can't tell if you guys are serious or not about selling this but your hard launch will never happen if you rely on smashwords.

edit: the first few posts in the Goonerotica thread in BFC will tell you all you need to know, but that's the gist of it.

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 9, 2013

Rasheed Wallace
Jan 5, 2013
Yeah, it was somewhat disjointed, but atleast it is furthering the only interesting story line from DwD

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

That fat oval office is probably just writing a sentence at a time on WoW, and his half dozen 'other projects' are all wild cards, 'natch'. Fuuuuuck.

Oh, and probably crafting the bheer label.
(Which as retarded as that idea sounds, I loving love Belgian ales, and Duvel is a good one and oh godddd)

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Urdnot Fire posted:

It's just to gently caress with everyone that the page's title is "Wild Cards Sample" isn't it?

Senator Incitatus
Dec 31, 2012

geeves posted:

It's just to gently caress with everyone that the page's title is "Wild Cards Sample" isn't it?

Seeing that website I believe that his time traveler webmaster just copy pasted some html and forgot to change the tittle.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Oh hay, something I spent too much time on.
Asked for a random chapter and the girl picked 15.

(additional voices supplied by some dame and some pussy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

SaviourX posted:

Oh hay, something I spent too much time on.
Asked for a random chapter and the girl picked 15.

(additional voices supplied by some dame and some pussy)

Hahaha the push to talk honk. That a cat at 1:20? The "audiobook" will be...something.