Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Less Fat Luke posted:

I have 400+ books rated on Goodreads, but I find their recommendations are fairly static and not very good; you can't say "Not Interested", so I only get the same recommendations for months. It seems like it has good potential though so I'll keep playing with it.

Do you mean that when you say "Not Interested" it doesn't stick, or that you can't say it? You can totally say it, but if it doesn't "stick" (i.e. not show it to you again) that doesn't do too much. I haven't had any come back on me yet, but I'm also not the most avid user of the site either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Fourteen out of my 300+ books on my Kindle Paperwhite have not been indexed. How can I get them indexed? Leaving it plugged in for a few hours has had no effect. I have also restarted the device - no dice.

Also, why doesn't the Send to Kindle application work with the Windows Phone Kindle app, or the Windows 7/8 application?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Might have to wait longer. It takes a few minutes for an average size book.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Why are publishers so reluctant to release things as e-books? I went to (re)buy some of my favourite books now that I have my Kobo and found out that they've only released a few of this author's books digitally. :sigh: Of course that doesn't include my two favourites.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Fourteen out of my 300+ books on my Kindle Paperwhite have not been indexed. How can I get them indexed? Leaving it plugged in for a few hours has had no effect. I have also restarted the device - no dice.

You can try removing the unindexed books and then readding them.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

ChetReckless posted:

Do you mean that when you say "Not Interested" it doesn't stick, or that you can't say it? You can totally say it, but if it doesn't "stick" (i.e. not show it to you again) that doesn't do too much. I haven't had any come back on me yet, but I'm also not the most avid user of the site either.

Yeah I see it now, weird! I must have missed it. I'll do some more pruning of the suggestions and try it again. Thanks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

You can try removing the unindexed books and then readding them.

Trying it now. Most of the ones I've had trouble with are not from Amazon directly, so maybe there's something up with the formatting.

Edit: Though I had done this before for some of the offending books, I did it for all of them, and the search is no longer showing any non-indexed books. Thanks very much.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 7, 2013

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Carbon Thief posted:

Why are publishers so reluctant to release things as e-books? I went to (re)buy some of my favourite books now that I have my Kobo and found out that they've only released a few of this author's books digitally. :sigh: Of course that doesn't include my two favourites.

For smaller publishers, converting their entire back catalog is a big expensive investment. And they know the actual sales of the back catalog, so the volume may not be there for it to make financial sense.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

smackfu posted:

For smaller publishers, converting their entire back catalog is a big expensive investment. And they know the actual sales of the back catalog, so the volume may not be there for it to make financial sense.

Can't they just get an intern with an OCR scanner like the big publishers do?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

El Hefe posted:

They could just pirate their books and start from that in a lot of cases. I wish I was joking, but it's really frustrating when the "scene" cares more about older books being available electronically and with no typos than the publisher does.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Trying it now. Most of the ones I've had trouble with are not from Amazon directly, so maybe there's something up with the formatting.

Edit: Though I had done this before for some of the offending books, I did it for all of them, and the search is no longer showing any non-indexed books. Thanks very much.

Yeah sometimes it just gets stuck for no good reason at all. :iiam:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Less Fat Luke posted:

I wish I was joking, but it's really frustrating when the "scene" cares more about older books being available electronically and with no typos than the publisher does.

Same thing happens in a lot of fields, though. For example, beer. Homebrewers are not tied to the bottom line that breweries are, so they can afford to do things like cellaring a beer for 4 years, ignoring recipe/technique efficiency by just adding extra grain, or simply by using grain bills that (if scaled up) would bankrupt a brewery. They can take their time and if they end up wasting a whole day on a single batch, who cares? It's a hobby!

I'm not saying that a publisher's not doing a lovely job when a book is put out with bad formatting or typos, that's poisoning their own well and it's horrible; would you buy anything from a salesman with Sharpie dicks on his face? However, "the scene" for any given thing will almost always have the most fancy polished things in a field. Some people polish all day.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah sometimes it just gets stuck for no good reason at all. :iiam:

It is a mystery - indexing the books only took a few minutes and some of them are huge 1200+ page bricks.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Splizwarf posted:

Same thing happens in a lot of fields, though. For example, beer. Homebrewers are not tied to the bottom line that breweries are, so they can afford to do things like cellaring a beer for 4 years, ignoring recipe/technique efficiency by just adding extra grain, or simply by using grain bills that (if scaled up) would bankrupt a brewery. They can take their time and if they end up wasting a whole day on a single batch, who cares? It's a hobby!

I'm not saying that a publisher's not doing a lovely job when a book is put out with bad formatting or typos, that's poisoning their own well and it's horrible; would you buy anything from a salesman with Sharpie dicks on his face? However, "the scene" for any given thing will almost always have the most fancy polished things in a field. Some people polish all day.

No kidding, the best ebook I have is a Sherlock Holmes omnibus, it's a beautiful thing.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Just received my third Paperwhite, and once again the display is defective. This is really getting frustrating. I don't know what their QA is doing but they're clearly not doing their job.

I also bought the official leather cover this time, and I feel like the combo is just a little too heavy. I really like the magnetic auto-on/off but I'm not sure that functionality is worth the added weight when reading. I still need something though, since assuming I get an actual working Kindle it's going to sit in my backpack all the time. Has anyone found a decent zipperless sleeve?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Ok when you say the display is defective what do you actually mean? The light can never be perfectly even you know, and whether you'll see color differences is really down to your eyes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Didn't someone get busted for using "pirated" scene subtitles on an official release?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

smackfu posted:

Didn't someone get busted for using "pirated" scene subtitles on an official release?

That would probably be Netflix in Finland. They used, um, "third party" subtitles without removing the credits. But I think the "third party" subtitles in turn were ripped off from some release, so who knows. It's still not nice, tho'.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

smackfu posted:

It's Random House, though. I was hoping a big publisher would jump on the e-book thing faster.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Carbon Thief posted:

It's Random House, though. I was hoping a big publisher would jump on the e-book thing faster.

Big publishers hate ebooks even more than small publishers.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Install Gentoo posted:

Ok when you say the display is defective what do you actually mean? The light can never be perfectly even you know, and whether you'll see color differences is really down to your eyes.
Well, that much is true, though the color differences vary per Kindle. I returned the first one due to color differences that were much worse than those I've seen on my coworkers' copies. They couldn't see the colors at all, but I could see them on every device, so I'm not sure what to think about that. However, the second and third were both "real" defects. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but they both had very clear problems with the front-light, where one LED could shine directly out at you after reflecting off a side and cause several small stripes of bright light to appear on the screen. It was extremely obvious as soon as I powered them on for the first time, and is unrelated to the normal shadows and colors.

So, in two days I'll have #4. This will be my last try, just because 2-day replacements are pretty cool.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TheEye posted:

Well, that much is true, though the color differences vary per Kindle. I returned the first one due to color differences that were much worse than those I've seen on my coworkers' copies. They couldn't see the colors at all, but I could see them on every device

This might sound like trolling but it's honestly not - could you be colour blind to an extent? Just got me thinking since you said other people couldn't see the colours at all. Also, could getting Kindle after Kindle that's faulty be a possible indicator of some sight issues?

I'm just thinking out loud really, I know very little about colour blindness. It's a shame you're not having much luck either way - the Paperwhite's a lovely reading machine. I showed it to my friend last night, who had thought that it was just backlit and would look more like a phone or tablet's display, but he was pretty impressed with it.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Are there and custom firmwares for the Paperwhite?

I'd really, really, REALLY like a way to keep series organized that doesn't involve a ton of title fuckery in Calibre...

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Crossposting from the book barn thread:

2 of my 3 textbooks this term are available on Kindle which means it would cost less or the same for me to get a kindle and the ebooks.

I live in Canada so I saw that we can only order the regular Kindle Wifi for $90. Then I realized I would need a light and the light/case is another $60. I hopped on eBay and found a Canadian seller offering new Wifi Paperwhites for $200 shipped. I figure that is worth it and I'll just pick up a case later. Now my question is will there be some funky business buying books? Will I have to go through the US amazon or the CDN amazon?

Is there anything else I should know before purchasing a Kindle? Thanks :)

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

This might sound like trolling but it's honestly not - could you be colour blind to an extent? Just got me thinking since you said other people couldn't see the colours at all. Also, could getting Kindle after Kindle that's faulty be a possible indicator of some sight issues?

I'm just thinking out loud really, I know very little about colour blindness. It's a shame you're not having much luck either way - the Paperwhite's a lovely reading machine. I showed it to my friend last night, who had thought that it was just backlit and would look more like a phone or tablet's display, but he was pretty impressed with it.

It's a thought, but the color thing has been discussed by so many people, certainly in this thread, with pictures to prove it, that I don't think it's vision-related. My guess is that most people don't know what to look for or aren't using a bright enough light setting, as it needs to be brighter than it would ever be set for normal use. I never would have noticed if the light wasn't set to maximum brightness on first boot. That's why I'm okay with the normal color issues; I'll never see them again after the first time. It's just that the colors on the first Kindle I bought were particularly bad, so I had no choice.

Regarding the other non-color problems I've had, I'm just unlucky. They're very obviously defects, and the people I've showed them to have simultaneously agreed and laughed at my misfortune. Anyway, the next one arrives in 12 hours. Fourth try's the charm?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Housh posted:

2 of my 3 textbooks this term are available on Kindle which means it would cost less or the same for me to get a kindle and the ebooks.

I live in Canada so I saw that we can only order the regular Kindle Wifi for $90. Then I realized I would need a light and the light/case is another $60. I hopped on eBay and found a Canadian seller offering new Wifi Paperwhites for $200 shipped. I figure that is worth it and I'll just pick up a case later. Now my question is will there be some funky business buying books? Will I have to go through the US amazon or the CDN amazon?

If you are tight on money you can also buy a Kobo Glow and put the kindle books on it and save like 80$ over buying kindle paper white in Canada. It is pretty much the same thing as paper white. Give it a try at one of the local stores before spending money on the kindle.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Housh posted:

Before the Paperwhite was announced for the UK, I had an American friend of mine (thanks, Wendy!) post a couple of them over for Christmas. When they arrived, they were registered to my friend's US Amazon account, but when I de-registered the devices and reset them, they took UK Amazon account details without issue. All my books and Collections etc. synced - basically, they're functioning as devices bought in the UK.

I'd assume the same would be true for a US device used in Canada.

Edit: \/ To clarify, these Kindle Paperwhites were the Wi-Fi variants, without special offers.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 9, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The only thing you MIGHT not be able to do is pay to have your PW's ads switched off. I know I can't do that while my Kindle is registered to Amazon.com. I haven't tried switching it to Amazon.ca yet though, but I don't really have much incentive to do that in the first place.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The Fresh Prince posted:

I've been having a bit of trouble with my kindle fire HD lately. I've been converting some old mkvs of Scooby Doo Where Are You to m4v so I can watch them on my kindle, and when Handbrake is done with them they play fine on my computer, but when I upload them to my kindle fire the video seems to constantly be around 3-4 seconds later than the audio. I've done pretty much everything I can think of to make it work better, but it never does, and even in the ES File explorer the same problem occurs. It also only occurs with videos that I've converted to m4v, rather than anything I've downloaded from the internet as an m4v. Does anyone know why on earth this keeps happening? Its infuriating.

What's the framerate? Mobile devices have had issues with 23.976 since forever, so if you're on that, try another.
The iPhone4 profile should work fine, if not try iPad.

El Hefe posted:

Most already exist as an electronic copy (how do you think they print them?) - so it's not that. I would assume in many cases it's just the time and effort of, effectively, re-licensing work that only a double-digit number of people will ever buy.
Personally I feel if they're unwilling to do this, then filez becomes the answer -- it's not as if buying a third-hand copy of the book supports the author/publisher anyway. It's a shame, because I WANT to give them money, and they just won't let me.

Santa dropped me a paperwhite and GODDAMN this is a nice way of reading. There's exactly zero eyestrain reading in a completely dark room, and the glow is subtle enough to not wake anyone up next to you.
Backlit e-ink is a beautiful thing.

To the people returning 3, 4 or 5 Kindle's in a row with "defective" screens, I can only suggest you're less able to overlook anything that isn't 100% uniform and you'll never be happy with any of them - I have a friend who has complained about three in a row and they've all looked identical to the others I have seen (including mine) and I'm a graphic designer who can spot when a pantone is slightly off with no frame of reference.
None of them are uniform, if you can't accept that then try a Fire/Kobo with a regular LCD screen.
It's borderline-abuse of Amazon's no-questions return policy which will be why we can't have nice things in the future.
Have you tried reading a book on these 'defective' screens and seeing if normal-use is in anyway affected? Mine has the typical (quite heavy) shadowing at the very bottom and after a couple of page flips I stop seeing it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Martytoof posted:

The only thing you MIGHT not be able to do is pay to have your PW's ads switched off. I know I can't do that while my Kindle is registered to Amazon.com. I haven't tried switching it to Amazon.ca yet though, but I don't really have much incentive to do that in the first place.

That kind of sucks cause I just ordered a WiFi "With Special Offers" version this morning. Can anyone confirm this? I will most likely be using Amazon.ca to buy my ebooks.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Khablam posted:

Most already exist as an electronic copy (how do you think they print them?) - so it's not that.
I've bought plenty of books that were clearly printed by just reproducing a scan of a long ago edition. You can usually tell by the terrible serif quality and random globs of ink on the page.

Given that, Kindle does have support for books where only the scans exist. It chops up the page by letter, finds letter glyphs that look similar, and creates a custom font for that book. These are the books where the file is unconvertable and much larger than a normal ebook.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Khablam posted:

Backlit e-ink is a beautiful thing.

It's still front-lit. Backlit would mean the light was behind the screen, and it would be much more uniform.
:goonsay:

smackfu posted:

I've bought plenty of books that were clearly printed by just reproducing a scan of a long ago edition. You can usually tell by the terrible serif quality and random globs of ink on the page.

Given that, Kindle does have support for books where only the scans exist. It chops up the page by letter, finds letter glyphs that look similar, and creates a custom font for that book. These are the books where the file is unconvertable and much larger than a normal ebook.

Fun fact: this is what's going on whenever you fill out a two-word reCaptcha. Only one of them is relevant to the verification for whatever you're trying to do; the other word is part of a crowd-sourced effort to decipher words that OCR can't figure out (due to ink blobs or a poor printing or whatever).

They're currently working for Google Books and the New York Times back editions project. Here's some more info for the curious: www.google.com/recaptcha/learnmore (that's where the graphic is from)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

smackfu posted:

Oh, sure, this is definitely also possible. I'm referring more to the books printed less than 20 years ago which don't have electronic editions. It seems that, for reasons outlined above, it's easier to get electronic versions of older texts than it is a fiction title printed when you were in school.

I've not ran into the inconvertible kindle format you are referring to however, do you have an example?

I had a bit of a geek-out with OCR a couple of years ago when my GF needed a lot of printed materials scanned in an editable way. Even the "home user" OCR programs have astounding accuracy, even with somewhat damaged text. So much so, if the page was clean and flat I scanned at a very low DPI for speed and errors were very low per page - 2 or 3 "is that the word?" confirmations per page and you're done.

NOTE: If you own such software, check what input formats it supports. I had one of those "sorry, we can't convert this PDF because reasons" errors a while ago, and the OCR software was able to read the PDF manually and produce a perfect result. Also worth trying if you do get it to convert and the formatting is all over the place - linebreaks being the common problem I find.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Khablam posted:

Oh, sure, this is definitely also possible. I'm referring more to the books printed less than 20 years ago which don't have electronic editions. It seems that, for reasons outlined above, it's easier to get electronic versions of older texts than it is a fiction title printed when you were in school.

A lot of publishers really were so stupid as to get rid of digital copies of books they had for printing before ebooks became popular. Many of those books, the author themselves probably still have a digital copy of the "manuscript" version of the book on a disk somewhere, but the publishers deleted the final revised and edited copy soon after their first print run.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Khablam posted:

I've not ran into the inconvertible kindle format you are referring to however, do you have an example?

I think the file format people are talking about here is Topaz (.tpz)
here's some info

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

SB35 posted:

I think the file format people are talking about here is Topaz (.tpz)
here's some info
Here's a Topaz book if you want to download a sample:
http://www.amazon.com/Forgery/dp/B001BVLS44/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219631373&sr=8-2

It fakes a "real" ebook surprisingly well. It has reflow and highlighting. You only get small and large font choices, and the font itself on this particular book is a bit overly smoothed and is missing some bits on the curves on letters like p, b, q and d. And it gets confused by m-dashes.

Here's a sign it's a Topaz book:
File Size: 1868 KB
Print Length: 248 pages

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

TheEye posted:

So, in two days I'll have #4. This will be my last try, just because 2-day replacements are pretty cool.

It arrived an hour ago. This one has a problem I haven't seen yet. It looks like there are 5 specks of dust stuck beneath the top layer of the screen, which reflect the light and look rather similar to stuck pixels on an LCD. All of them are near the bottom. Like the color issue, they're only visible with a higher light setting, around 15 or above.

I'm tempted to keep this one because I'm really tired of this and I'm unlikely to use a higher light setting much.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Man, you are either the unluckiest person ever or the pickiest person ever... or some combination of the two.

When I got my Kindle, I set the light to something like 4 or 5 and it never moves from there. I never notice terrible shadowing or colors or dust.

I mean, why test things in the most extreme conditions that you'll only encounter like... 1% of the time, if that?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

TheEye posted:

It arrived an hour ago. This one has a problem I haven't seen yet. It looks like there are 5 specks of dust stuck beneath the top layer of the screen, which reflect the light and look rather similar to stuck pixels on an LCD. All of them are near the bottom. Like the color issue, they're only visible with a higher light setting, around 15 or above.

I'm tempted to keep this one because I'm really tired of this and I'm unlikely to use a higher light setting much.

If you keep sending these back you're going to get banned from amazon like that one dude that was posted here a few months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Even if you assume 1 in 10 is faulty in some way (hilariously high, class action lawsuit media-storm numbers) then the chance of what he is describing happening is something like 0.001%

So.... about your eyes?