Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Another turn of jumpers not telling me which way they're facing. :psyduck:

Maybe start orienting jumpers to have their rear areas exposed to the opfor if they don't specify the facing while jumping? Details people, they DO matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

PoptartsNinja posted:

Another turn of jumpers not telling me which way they're facing. :psyduck:

Jesus Christ :cmon:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Guys srsly. Guys.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Zeroisanumber posted:

Guys srsly. Guys.

No kidding. I've been trying to do as little policing/commentary as possible since we've been doing so well...in fact the last couple turns I've done nothing but put my orders in the doc and then email them. But I will come back and deliver some stern talkings-to if people can't even declare their drat facing.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
You'd think automatically winning initiative on jump-capable mechs would be enough to keep your rear arcs safe, but never underestimate the power of goons.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

See, the problem is goons haven't actually seen their own asses and can only rely on secondhand information to inform them of their existence.

`Mechbutts work the same way.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Yes. They add 1 movement point to enter the square.
Never come accross that before. TW seems to disagree. TacOps?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's an optional TacOps rule, yes. PTN has been using it since the first round of the first battle of this thread.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I kept missing it. I can see why others would have too then. I can't imagine using that on the table so more :madprops: to PTN for doing all that extra book-keeping.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

GenericServices posted:

The BTech writing staff has always seemed to have a serious reluctance about actual genetic engineering of any sort. The Clanner eugenics program being barely effectual despite thousands of scientists' efforts is the shining example, but come the Wars of Reaving, the Society gets its chance to throw down wacky biological mutagenesis efforts without incompetent Warrior interference and they're using it for mostly pure evil. You can tell they've never really thought the situation through because it's so very simplistic in the end. It's all faster reflexes WARRIOR INSTINCT rah blah blah. Nobody postulates really fancy stuff like adding in alternative protein pathways for enhanced survival in high-heat environments or adjusting the cones in the eye for sensitivity to different spectra ("Well, I can't see red or yellow anymore, but it turns out targeting sensors are big glowing signs in high UV!").

The Practical Ponies also employ a solid doctrine of combined arms unlike basically everyone else, so they're pretty likeable if you value competence in your characters.

We absolutely should get to play as them in the future if a vote comes up. Or play against them if we're planning on failing badly.

I think avoiding actually delving into a lot of the tech and the interesting effects it could have is done for the same reason most of the governments of the IS more positive sides aren't examined. Because you'd get into this really indepth debate when all you wanted was space-communists or space-capitalist-feudalists to have as your villains/heroes, as seen on the Mechwarrior Online forums.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

T.G. Xarbala posted:

See, the problem is goons haven't actually seen their own asses and can only rely on secondhand information to inform them of their existence.

`Mechbutts work the same way.

There's a joke waiting to be made here about goons not being able to find their asses with both hands, a gps, and three tries.

Seriously folks. Please consider the orientation of your robutt when landing.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Arquinsiel posted:

I kept missing it. I can see why others would have too then. I can't imagine using that on the table so more :madprops: to PTN for doing all that extra book-keeping.

Hell, I have missed it. My fault, really, especially considering how long the thread has been using it.

Of course in the Banshee being slowed down is less catastrophic than it would be in something else because no one expects it to get anywhere at any particular point in time.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
What we need is more mechs with rear-facing weapons. That way you're covered in both directions!

now I haven't looked this up but I'm sure somewhere out there is a mech with an rear end laser, like specifically in the rear end. If the Hauptmann can have a cigar laser, someone, somewhere, made an rear end gun. I know it. Issue that to everyone who doesn't give you proper positioning information.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

One of the stock Timberwolf variants has two rear-facing SSRM-6 racks, the D variant to be precise.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Taerkar posted:

One of the stock Timberwolf variants has two rear-facing SSRM-6 racks, the D variant to be precise.

... That just seems.... like a turrible idea.

Although hilarious in a game with friends "I'M making GBS threads SRMS!"

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Psion posted:

What we need is more mechs with rear-facing weapons. That way you're covered in both directions!

now I haven't looked this up but I'm sure somewhere out there is a mech with an rear end laser, like specifically in the rear end. If the Hauptmann can have a cigar laser, someone, somewhere, made an rear end gun. I know it. Issue that to everyone who doesn't give you proper positioning information.

This raises an even more important question: How many mechs are there sporting crotch-guns? Imagine going around hip-thrusting that AC/20 at your enemy every time you fire it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Calax posted:

Although hilarious in a game with friends "I'M making GBS threads SRMS!"

It's supposed to be a city brawler. 4x SSRM-6s, 2 ER PPCs, comedy ER Small Laser.

The Timberwolf is one of the "Generally full of good ideas" original omnis, part of the reason why it's become a favorite.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Perestroika posted:

This raises an even more important question: How many mechs are there sporting crotch-guns? Imagine going around hip-thrusting that AC/20 at your enemy every time you fire it.

I'm probably dooming myself by putting "battletech crotch gun" in my search history, but Mackie and Dragon Fire at least.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Taerkar posted:

It's supposed to be a city brawler. 4x SSRM-6s, 2 ER PPCs, comedy ER Small Laser.

The Timberwolf is one of the "Generally full of good ideas" original omnis, part of the reason why it's become a favorite.

I know, the prime model provides a good variety of punch. Haven't REALLY looked at the variants however.

One that I should look up that I've been interested in since I was in middle school (battletech TCG showed me a LOT of different models), is the Executioner. Not an Omni but just sounds painful.

Side note, weren't the Ghost Bear's technically the strongest (space) naval power? I remember that kinda being their schtick other than being the only IS attacker that was entirely ignored by writers.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Calax posted:

I know, the prime model provides a good variety of punch. Haven't REALLY looked at the variants however.

One that I should look up that I've been interested in since I was in middle school (battletech TCG showed me a LOT of different models), is the Executioner. Not an Omni but just sounds painful.

Side note, weren't the Ghost Bear's technically the strongest (space) naval power? I remember that kinda being their schtick other than being the only IS attacker that was entirely ignored by writers.

According to Sarna, the Executioner is an Omnimech. The prime config is kind of meh in my opinon, but alt. config E has a decent loadout.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Calax posted:

is the Executioner. Not an Omni but just sounds painful.

It is an Omni. The Ghost Bears and Jade Falcons favor it. The Jade Falcons like it because it flies and the Ghost Bears like it because

Calax posted:

Side note, weren't the Ghost Bear's technically the strongest (space) naval power?

Nope. They've got the biggest ships, but not the most powerful. They're the strongest space naval power in the Inner Sphere; but not in Clan space.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Calax posted:

You're thinking of Snow Raven. CGB has the largest army of the Clans (approximately equal to the size of the CCAF).

E; PTN, the Ravens are in the IS now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yes, and I was referring to the canon timeline and not counting the Raven Alliance since Catalyst has been working on removing the naval warships.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 8, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, they're still the biggest naval power even then, because they have more WarShips than like three.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Defiance Industries posted:

You're thinking of Snow Raven. CGB has the largest army of the Clans (approximately equal to the size of the CCAF).

E; PTN, the Ravens are in the IS now.

Is the CCAF that small? Considering that all the clans combined don't come close to the amounts of regiments a united IS has to have one clan have a bigger army then an IS nation is odd.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Affi posted:

Is the CCAF that small? Considering that all the clans combined don't come close to the amounts of regiments a united IS has to have one clan have a bigger army then an IS nation is odd.

That's because CGB is also the Free Rhasalhague Republic and their militaries are merged now so there's a slight boost in personnel.

Judicator65
Feb 4, 2012

evilmiera posted:

We absolutely should get to play as them in the future if a vote comes up. Or play against them if we're planning on failing badly.

I think avoiding actually delving into a lot of the tech and the interesting effects it could have is done for the same reason most of the governments of the IS more positive sides aren't examined. Because you'd get into this really indepth debate when all you wanted was space-communists or space-capitalist-feudalists to have as your villains/heroes, as seen on the Mechwarrior Online forums.

For what it's worth, the Luthien deep strike (Counting Coup) was a Hell's Horses operation.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If we get any Clan scenarios soon, it'll probably be for the Goliath Scorpions since they've gotten less facetime than the Ghost Bears.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
We had a chance to vote for a Jade Falcon scenario last time we voted, but went for the Death Commandos instead. I'm not complaining, these have been great scenarios, but I'm a little sad that we're not going to get the chance to plumb the depths of absolute, grinding dickery that the Falcons get up to.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Calax posted:

I've always thought of it as a trolling design.

Take it to a batchall
Turn away from the enemy so they can't shoot you (rear armour is dishonourable!)
Unload SSRM into their face without facing them
Problem sibkin?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Paingod556 posted:

I've always thought of it as a trolling design.

Take it to a batchall
Turn away from the enemy so they can't shoot you (rear armour is dishonourable!)
Unload SSRM into their face without facing them
Problem sibkin?

Isn't intentionally breaking line of sight even more dishonorable than shooting the moron who did it?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's a city fighter, and one of my favorite alternate configurations for any `Mech. The issue is, it's an extremely unClan design since it's designed to engage multiple targets simultaneously. It also doesn't work as a city fighter since they changed the way weapons damage infantry (they used to be 1:1, so a Clan ERPPC would kill 15 troopers instantly).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Affi posted:

The CCAF is only like 40-some regiments in 3062. The Ghost Bear military is 60-some clusters. That's fairly comparable, all in all. The Capellans aren't exactly swimming in production capacity. Before Victor served Tikonov up to them on a plate, their entire nation's mech production was about even with the output of Defiance Industries. Until they took back St. Ives they didn't have a single Assault mech line available to them, and had to buy everything from Marik.

dis astranagant posted:

Isn't intentionally breaking line of sight even more dishonorable than shooting the moron who did it?

According to WoK, breaking LoS for a single turn isn't considered dishonorable, assuming you get back into it the next turn. The notion is that while running away is bad for you to do, ducking into terrain for a flank attack is the OTHER guy's fault if he falls for it.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 8, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sorry about my slowness, the update is nearly done. There've just been a few unexpected delays this week.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
It's cool. The start of the year is weird for everyone.

e: I only say this because I am dreading what will happen, now that I've flashed my rear end at that many PPCs and MLs.

Andrevian fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 8, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
You've been more dedicated to this thread than I am to my CoC players. No worries

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
PPCs are for dropping buildings on infantry in them. SSRM are for splatting the hell out of vehicles. It really is a pretty solid mech in all theatres.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Taerkar posted:

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a city fighter, and one of my favorite alternate configurations for any `Mech. The issue is, it's an extremely unClan design since it's designed to engage multiple targets simultaneously. It also doesn't work as a city fighter since they changed the way weapons damage infantry (they used to be 1:1, so a Clan ERPPC would kill 15 troopers instantly).

Replace the ER SL with a Micro Pulse Laser, and you can still easily wipe out infantry platoons in quick fashion (barring poor d6 rolls).

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

PoptartsNinja posted:

If we get any Clan scenarios soon, it'll probably be for the Goliath Scorpions since they've gotten less facetime than the Ghost Bears.

:negative:

Ghost Bears > All :sweden:

Edit:

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

They left with the Snow Ravens and the Sea Foxes to go poo poo on Stephan Amaris VII's picnic. :ssh: (this is not a spoiler)

• Locked thread