Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Alright, I've been putting most of my points into strength, guess I'll just stick with that. I doubt luck is worth much, but is it worth having many points in agility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Real men put every stat point into Luck.

Not really, but I'd love to horse around and do that one day.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I'm playing Persona 3, and I think I'm doing something wrong :smith:

I'm trying to do the floor 25 to 36 block in the dungeon, and it's been really bad. First few floors I'm really fine, and I'll be doing okay up until usually I get some bad luck in an encounter and just get wiped out in two turns. It's really frustrating - I'll lose a half hour of progress with no notice just because I whiffed a swing in the dungeon and let the enemy get advantage, had the wrong persona equipped and was weak to the enemy's elementals, and will just get wrecked. Or, you know, a million other things along those lines.

Am I playing this wrong? I'm not sure why I can be just fine for a few levels then all of a sudden one fight just destroys me. Are there some weird difficulty jumps in a section that are mentioned somewhere? Do I just need to grind on, like, 25-28, warp back to the first floor, and grind more until I'm tired?

It's frustrating because there's zero feedback on what I'm doing wrong. I have no idea if I'm too underleveled for an area, just really unlucky, or what. I have no idea how much more grinding I need to do before I will be able to survive, or what. I wish there was something that said, I dunno, "hey your personas are kind of poo poo maybe go fuse better ones" or anything that might help.

Maybe I'll just start actually using PCSX2's save states on every floor. I'm getting sick of losing a bunch of progress because of one bad fight.

at least when you died in Dark Souls it's because you hosed up, not because of a random number generator

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Alright, I've been putting most of my points into strength, guess I'll just stick with that. I doubt luck is worth much, but is it worth having many points in agility?

You'll need some agility for accuracy but it should still be a pretty distant 3rd best stat after your primary offensive stat and vitality.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

abraham linksys posted:

I'm playing Persona 3, and I think I'm doing something wrong :smith:

I'm trying to do the floor 25 to 36 block in the dungeon, and it's been really bad. First few floors I'm really fine, and I'll be doing okay up until usually I get some bad luck in an encounter and just get wiped out in two turns. It's really frustrating - I'll lose a half hour of progress with no notice just because I whiffed a swing in the dungeon and let the enemy get advantage, had the wrong persona equipped and was weak to the enemy's elementals, and will just get wrecked. Or, you know, a million other things along those lines.

at least when you died in Dark Souls it's because you hosed up, not because of a random number generator

Err...

quote:

Am I playing this wrong? I'm not sure why I can be just fine for a few levels then all of a sudden one fight just destroys me. Are there some weird difficulty jumps in a section that are mentioned somewhere? Do I just need to grind on, like, 25-28, warp back to the first floor, and grind more until I'm tired?

It's frustrating because there's zero feedback on what I'm doing wrong. I have no idea if I'm too underleveled for an area, just really unlucky, or what. I have no idea how much more grinding I need to do before I will be able to survive, or what. I wish there was something that said, I dunno, "hey your personas are kind of poo poo maybe go fuse better ones" or anything that might help.

Maybe I'll just start actually using PCSX2's save states on every floor. I'm getting sick of losing a bunch of progress because of one bad fight.
Tartarus is not that important for the main plot until fairly late so don't feel too hard pressed to go as far as you can. Anyway, the game is hard, and does not warn you when you are into an overleveled zone, wich you might be. Getting pound is usually a fairly good hint that you should train at a lower level. Grinding levels helps, but not as much as having lots of different personas with different sets of weaknesses and resistances. What is your level, and what is the date? have you passed a full moon yet?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

How can you say you died because your persona was weak to the enemies' abilities, then complain there's no feedback about what you're doing wrong? :psyduck: Don't use a persona with that weakness in that area! Better still, go and fuse one that's resistant to what killed you. Elemental strengths and weaknesses are the major part of this game's combat, always be exploiting the enemy's weaknesses and trying to cover your own.

So long as you explore each floor thoroughly and don't avoid too many battles you shouldn't be underlevelled. What's more likely to happen is your personas are, they will fall behind you in level so you have to keep fusing new ones.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

How can you say you died because your persona was weak to the enemies' abilities, then complain there's no feedback about what you're doing wrong? :psyduck: Don't use a persona with that weakness in that area! Better still, go and fuse one that's resistant to what killed you. Elemental strengths and weaknesses are the major part of this game's combat, always be exploiting the enemy's weaknesses and trying to cover your own.

Sorry, it was an unclear example.

I should have been more specific, since it was a specific and brutally annoying thing that happened:
I whiffed a hit on a shadow, allowing it to attack first. It was 3 monsters that I don't recall that had the cast-fire-on-everyone spell. The persona that I'd been using had a fire weakness, and I got hit 3 times in a row by that skill, dying on the last one.

Now, the two places where I arguably failed there were (a) missing the hit and (b) having the wrong persona equipped. But I don't think either should be an instant death situation like that was. The game didn't warn me about what shadows would be on that floor or anything, so I just stumbled into the worst possible encounter ever.

This rant came after dying in the dungeon three times in a row and going back to the start every time with no progress and no idea what I did wrong - whether I need to level more before continuing, or whether my personas are underleveled, or if I'm just not strategizing right - totally sucks. It just seems like poo poo goes bad so fast in this game, and when you're losing a quarter to half of your health bar in a hit and facing 3 to 4 enemies at a time, you can be having a perfectly fine run in a dungeon and then get hosed by a bad hit or an unknown enemy who happens to cast what you're weak to (or with some enemies, even ones who happen to cast stuff that you're not actively resisting).

Also, I'm at something like 5/28, after the first full moon event and coming up on the second. I'm level 13 now, and trying to reach the barrier at floor 40 before the full moon in nine days, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen if I keep dying around floor 30. I've been grinding a bit on floors 25-28, but noticing that I'm only getting ~30 exp from fights now except against the uncommon/stronger enemies. I've been assuming that the "goal" between full moons is to reach those barriers.

On the other hand, I'm still really enjoying other parts of the battles. I like the fusing aspects and how there's some real strategy to it when trying to defeat the subbosses and such in the dungeon. I just hate that the checkpoints are so few and far between and how you take so much damage from enemies unless you manage to get player advantage on every fight.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Persona 3 was pretty harsh with those scenarios, they do happen. If you get to a boss room you can teleport back down and save, so basically you have checkpoints where you are safe. Most of my P3 gameovers were dumb luck, like instant kill moves landing on my guy even though he wasn't weak to them. P4 was a lot better at mitigating that.

SMT games were usually pretty hard and P3 still feels more like an SMT game.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

Sorry, it was an unclear example.

I should have been more specific, since it was a specific and brutally annoying thing that happened:
I whiffed a hit on a shadow, allowing it to attack first. It was 3 monsters that I don't recall that had the cast-fire-on-everyone spell. The persona that I'd been using had a fire weakness, and I got hit 3 times in a row by that skill, dying on the last one.

Now, the two places where I arguably failed there were (a) missing the hit and (b) having the wrong persona equipped. But I don't think either should be an instant death situation like that was. The game didn't warn me about what shadows would be on that floor or anything, so I just stumbled into the worst possible encounter ever.

This rant came after dying in the dungeon three times in a row and going back to the start every time with no progress and no idea what I did wrong - whether I need to level more before continuing, or whether my personas are underleveled, or if I'm just not strategizing right - totally sucks. It just seems like poo poo goes bad so fast in this game, and when you're losing a quarter to half of your health bar in a hit and facing 3 to 4 enemies at a time, you can be having a perfectly fine run in a dungeon and then get hosed by a bad hit or an unknown enemy who happens to cast what you're weak to (or with some enemies, even ones who happen to cast stuff that you're not actively resisting).

Also, I'm at something like 5/28, after the first full moon event and coming up on the second. I'm level 13 now, and trying to reach the barrier at floor 40 before the full moon in nine days, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen if I keep dying around floor 30. I've been grinding a bit on floors 25-28, but noticing that I'm only getting ~30 exp from fights now except against the uncommon/stronger enemies. I've been assuming that the "goal" between full moons is to reach those barriers.

On the other hand, I'm still really enjoying other parts of the battles. I like the fusing aspects and how there's some real strategy to it when trying to defeat the subbosses and such in the dungeon. I just hate that the checkpoints are so few and far between and how you take so much damage from enemies unless you manage to get player advantage on every fight.

Well, none of that is random, though? The game is hard. Do not whiff attacks because giving up initiative can be deadly. Pick your battles. Play conservatively with your HP, swith resistances, buff yourself (in SMT, buffs and debuffs are powerful), when finding a new difficulty plateau in Tartarus, be even more careful and don't hesitate to run if looks only a tad bit dangerous. Live to fight another day and all tht jazz. Oh, and exploit the poo poo out of enemy weaknesses. Have attacks of every types and focus on finding weaknesses. Knocking every monsters down at once give you a powerful group attack that's usually a fight ender on trash. And since hitting a weakness gives you one additionnal turn, you can chain knock down monsters. Be as cheap as you can, the game will sure as hell do. And remember, going back to the bottom heals you.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

I'm playing DDS for the first time, and I'm wondering what a good way to build Serph is? I'm bad at making these decisions on my own.

e: I suppose a better question would be is there any builds that aren't really viable? Is it like DS1 where well-rounded or Strength builds aren't as good, or is dumping most of your points into either Magic or Strength okay, or is being well-rounded viable?

The last time I played I dumped all my points in magic and pretty much broke the game. I was doing triple digits with agi alone and destroying bosses like nothing.

Dec 26, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Real men put every stat point into Luck.

Not really, but I'd love to horse around and do that one day.

I tried this with Nocturne on hard a few years ago. It was a terrible choice.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What does luck do in Nocturne anyway...

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
It would be hilarious if going full luck made lots of coincidences happen to benefit you. Like fighting some powerful demon in the ruins of a building, and then three rounds in the ceiling collapses and killed him for you.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Alteisen posted:

It affects item drop rates (main character's stat only) and ailment resistance.

Dec 26, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Nothing of value, apparently.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Huh, I always it gave you a better chance of not dying instantly to hama/mudo.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

In Nocturne, Luck impacts your chances of getting first strike, chances of getting ambushed, chances of a successful escape, the accuracy of your magic, your ability to evade magic, the amount of macca you drop when panicked, your ability to evade bad status, your critical hit rate, and item drop rates. Bad status does not seem to include instant death. Based on the formulas I'm looking at, the effect doesn't seem to be profound enough to justify pumping your Luck up. Although, uh, I guess if you get ahold of Luck Sources you should use them.

In other news:
http://megaten4.jp/ updated.

There are more screenshots but most of them are just more static NPC sprites talking in Japanese.

What a strange place for a door:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

The presence of Demonicas makes me wonder how Strange Journey ties into this game's story, if it does at all.

TurnipFritter posted:

What a strange place for a door:

Well, at least it's not behind the fridge in a penthouse apartment. :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I love how the Demonica has basically been reduced to a skintight suit with a goofy helmet.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

One more DDS question. Do the dialogue options affect anything? I can't imagine they determine your ending, since DDS2 is a direct sequel.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Hi there, Mem Aleph.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cake Attack posted:

One more DDS question. Do the dialogue options affect anything? I can't imagine they determine your ending, since DDS2 is a direct sequel.

Yes they do, actually. Several skills can only be learned if you choose the correct dialogue options in DDS1, and I think it affects one of your party members in DDS2 as well.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Yes they do, actually. Several skills can only be learned if you choose the correct dialogue options in DDS1, and I think it affects one of your party members in DDS2 as well.

Is it something worth worrying about, or should I just play it by ear?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cake Attack posted:

Is it something worth worrying about, or should I just play it by ear?

A few of those skills are very good. I'd look into what you can do to get them. That said, most of the dialogue choices don't matter. Just a few here and there.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

theshim posted:

I love how the Demonica has basically been reduced to a skintight suit with a goofy helmet.

It has always been so:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

theshim posted:

Am I missing something? It looks the same as usual to me. It's dark like the suits from Jack's Squad. There's no vest, but those weren't always worn in Strange Journey.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I must only be remembering it with the vests, then. My bad!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Persona 3 was pretty harsh with those scenarios, they do happen. If you get to a boss room you can teleport back down and save, so basically you have checkpoints where you are safe. Most of my P3 gameovers were dumb luck, like instant kill moves landing on my guy even though he wasn't weak to them. P4 was a lot better at mitigating that.

SMT games were usually pretty hard and P3 still feels more like an SMT game.

Yeah, I guess I'll try to keep more stuff in mind. I came into all of this after watching a Persona 4 LP featuring two semi-bumbling idiots making it through the game fine, but it seems this one requires a bit more thought :v:

Is it generally a good idea to have a goal of making it to the barrier in Tartarus before each full moon, or is it fine to not make it there? I don't know what level you have to be for each full moon boss, will the game warn me if I'm underleveled for those? :ohdear:

Iceclaw posted:

Well, none of that is random, though? The game is hard. Do not whiff attacks because giving up initiative can be deadly. Pick your battles. Play conservatively with your HP, swith resistances, buff yourself (in SMT, buffs and debuffs are powerful), when finding a new difficulty plateau in Tartarus, be even more careful and don't hesitate to run if looks only a tad bit dangerous. Live to fight another day and all tht jazz. Oh, and exploit the poo poo out of enemy weaknesses. Have attacks of every types and focus on finding weaknesses. Knocking every monsters down at once give you a powerful group attack that's usually a fight ender on trash. And since hitting a weakness gives you one additionnal turn, you can chain knock down monsters. Be as cheap as you can, the game will sure as hell do. And remember, going back to the bottom heals you.

Yeah, I'm at the point now where I just escape every time I miss and get the "enemy advantage" thing (assuming I survive the initial attack), as well as making sure to switch to a neutral persona (not weak to anything) between battles if I get caught off guard. It's just hard to balance "OH GOD RUNAWAY" with "well I am theoretically supposed to be leveling here..."

I might just start doing the cheap thing of aggroing the shadow and then running back to the "border" of the room where it won't pass. Can't get player advantage that way, but easier than trying to actually hit shadows, between the like second-long animation and my inability to perceive depth in this game :v:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 8, 2013

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

abraham linksys posted:

Yeah, I guess I'll try to keep more stuff in mind. I came into all of this after watching a Persona 4 LP featuring two semi-bumbling idiots making it through the game fine, but it seems this one requires a bit more thought :v:

Is it generally a good idea to have a goal of making it to the barrier in Tartarus before each full moon, or is it fine to not make it there? I don't know what level you have to be for each full moon boss, will the game warn me if I'm underleveled for those? :ohdear:

Vinny and Jeff aren't chumps! <:mad:> ...Until Vinny casts Bufu on something he shouldn't.

Yes. The thing with P3 is that you can potentially screw yourself by being unprepared and saving in a spot where you're unable to train. There's no option that lets you roll back time if you fail, unlike in P4.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

Is it generally a good idea to have a goal of making it to the barrier in Tartarus before each full moon,

It's a good goal. Basically if you can get to the barrier, you're right to face the Full Moon Shadow. That being said, I usually just rushed it the first night I could so I could spend time with my anime friends :unsmith:

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

abraham linksys posted:

The hardest part of P3 is in the beginning, when you don't have a wide variety of demons to choose from. Once you get a few and start fusing, things become a lot less difficult. The basic idea is to have demons able to exploit each weakness. Sure, if you get an unlucky enemy advantage, things can get a bit dicey, but that shouldn't happen too often, since most weapons are pretty easy to use with a bit of timing practice.
It'll become easy to make it to the blocked-off section of Tartarus before the first moon in a little while. Don't be afraid to neglect studying to go to Tartarus - it's a lot easier to study later on.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
The boss just before the barrier is always stronger than the full moon boss. If you can beat the barrier boss, then you're more than prepared for the full moon. I usually try to make it to the barrier before the full moon, but it's not mandatory. Also, if you go to Tartarus the night before a full moon, your party won't leave when they're tired. That can be useful, although you have to be careful about going into the full moon boss tired / sick.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So apparently the DS2 anime site updated at some point and the protagonist is gonna be named Hibiki Kuze. I guess that's neat.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

Yeah, I'm at the point now where I just escape every time I miss and get the "enemy advantage" thing (assuming I survive the initial attack), as well as making sure to switch to a neutral persona (not weak to anything) between battles if I get caught off guard. It's just hard to balance "OH GOD RUNAWAY" with "well I am theoretically supposed to be leveling here..."

I might just start doing the cheap thing of aggroing the shadow and then running back to the "border" of the room where it won't pass. Can't get player advantage that way, but easier than trying to actually hit shadows, between the like second-long animation and my inability to perceive depth in this game :v:

You should ABSOLUTELY be doing these things, with the caveat to the second one that if you KEEP running away from a shadow's view, he'll lose interest and turn around. There's your chance to nail him for the player advantage.

Additionally, if you are in a player advantage "pre-turn", you have a guaranteed chance of escaping. When you first get to a new floor with new enemies, you should exploit this by testing the enemy weakness with elemental attacks, and running away if you don't find one. All-out-attacks should be your bread and butter for a large chunk of the game until you're strong enough to one-shot enemies.

Also, in Persona 3 enemies have to expend turns to get up if they're knocked down when it gets to their turn. Use this to prevent stronger enemies from attacking you, particuarly if there's a group of them and you know you won't kill themm by the end of the turn.

Really, using the above well can trivialize a lot of the battles and is the reason I consider Persona 4 the harder of the two.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Eh, I'd say that P4 is easier because you don't have to deal with the team's IA.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would say that P4 is easier for a variety of reasons, however its first dungeon is a bigger roadblock than the hardest parts of P3.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

The Castle? How so? Both the MC and Yosuke have access to Dia, natively for Yosuke, and with a common card for the MC, and the only showstopper might be the boss. Emphasis on might. The hardest parts of P3 include its final boss, the first Guardian who can wreck you if you take Junpei because they'll chain Magarula on your rear end if they get a Once More, and other nasty fuckers.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

P3's final boss was not hard. At all. The only thing you had to watch out for was an unlucky Charm/Diarahan scenario and that was fairly rare.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The castle blows because there's just not much you can do at that point in the game. You'll almost certainly run out of SP once or twice and have to retreat out. And yeah that boss is pretty annoying, which is why P4G went out of its way to re-balance it.

I don't think I hit any such roadblocks in P3, other than that one boss that loves to charm you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Then my experience was the polar opposite I guess. My troubles started with a certain trio of muscular gentlemen, but I breezed through the castle. I don't ee the problem with having to retreat a couple of times, though, considering how you have a pretty long time (and no other dungeons) and cheap items that allows you to pick up right where you left. I don't think I ever did a dungeon in one day.