Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

imnotinsane posted:

After hearing so much about the Heart of Darkness I was expecting to find something completely different. In my head I imagined it would be some kind of run down dirty place with bullet holes in the roof but it was one snazzy place.

It got renovated a while back, it was only one floor before. It still has a bit of a reputation from the shooting that happened there a few years ago, but it's basically just a typical Phnom Penh club nowadays. I actually went recently for the first time in about 2 years. It was full of tourists and freelancers, so pretty much exactly as I remember it. As ReindeerF said Pontoon is probably the more popular place, although they fired the manager a couple of months ago and it's gone kinda downhill since.

Are you in PP at the moment then? Feel free to shoot me a message if you wanna grab a beer at some point.

ReindeerF posted:

by which I mean being English ho ho ho if you're reading this Tytan!).

Hey man, nobody's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
So, I leave for Cebu in 2 weeks. I don't really have big plans, so I'm pretty much open to doing anything. I figure as long as I'm not dumb I won't get robbed. Anyways, anyone have recommendations of what to do there. People are all over the map on what's good. I've got a hotel in Mandaue City for 8 days, but I'm willing to still over night somewhere else. My main goal of most vacations is to collect experiences.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I'm heading to Thailand in about a week and haven't booked hotels/hostels at all yet. Everyone I've spoken to just says it's easy enough to wing everything, and that's very much my style of travel. But I figured I'd double check with you guys: Should I in fact make some reservations before it's too late? If I should, does anyone recommend any particular (Cheap, I don't care for luxury) accommodations?

Also, how easy is it to get a prepaid SIM for my phone while I'm there?

[Edit: Err, should note that I'm flying into and out of BKK and going to Chang Mai and maybe another place in between]

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 7, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Skandiaavity posted:

Room Service Call Girls. That's a new one.
The worst place for that is China, where, upon checking into your hotel, your phone will just ring randomly throughout the night from hookers who've been given the number. First thing to do upon checking in is unplug the phone and stick the DND sign on the door. I've traveled all over Southeast Asia and up through China and that's the only drat country I ever had that problem (though, as with most things obnoxious and aggressive, I assume the Vietnamese do it too).

Senso posted:

Heh, same for the Apocalypse Now in HCMC. It was a location in an old Vietnamese movie (I thik it had Harvey Keitel in it) and it looked like this dark seedy bar for rugged expats. Now it's just a big club with $5 beers, hookers and Gangnam Style playing every 30 minutes.
I clearly missed the dark seedy bar era on that one too, heh. By the time I went there it wasn't playing Gangnam Style yet, but it was an obnoxious club full of hookers, tourists and expats.

Senso posted:

The Sailing Club, right?
I'm kinda sad to hear this place is so bad because it was, at the time, my favorite bar I hung out in while in Vietnam. Really chill, not too crowded and overbuilt, etc. In fact, Nha Trang itself seems to have this awful reputation, but I found it to be probably the most accommodating place that I stayed while I was in the country.

Bugblatter posted:

Easiest place in the world - no joke. They sell them in every 7-11, even.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 7, 2013

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

The worst place for that is China, where, upon checking into your hotel, your phone will just ring randomly throughout the night from hookers who've been given the number. First thing to do upon checking in is unplug the phone and stick the DND sign on the door. I've traveled all over Southeast Asia and up through China and that's the only drat country I ever had that problem (though, as with most things obnoxious and aggressive, I assume the Vietnamese do it too).

No, no. I've had that before. I mean like, call girls that deliver you room service. As in they'll bring you food, water, and something extra. If you place a large order, more than one comes up. If you don't like her, they send the food back too :smith:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Okay, yeah, that's definitely a WTF, heh. I assume from the description that you're in Fort Boni? I've been to that Shangri La once, but didn't stay and so didn't see any of this (also wasn't greeted by a call girl in the lobby or served by one in the bar).

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
yeah, there are two of them now.

the actual hotel (which is closer to the Makati RLD) and the residences/hotels combo, which is near the mall (which is what most people stay at)

Then there's a third one, the Shangri-La mall, which is being built..

I am also a goooooold member, so maybe that had something to do with it. Don't know how they manage to do it, very respectable folks down in the lobby. The girl carted the food in and basically asked to freshen up; which was just :psyduck: . Next morning, I decided to leave, so I got a cab, asked to go to the Hyatt in malate and the guy was "sooo.. you enjoying it here? you been to any clubs? :smug: no? why not? you dont like the ladies there? then, how about a girl's college? i know a good place that has an all-female dorm :smug: :smug: "

it was 7 AM.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who can tell me about Si Phan Dong? I plan on hitting Vang Vieng and Vientiane but those are my only two planned destinations in Laos and I was looking for a third.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

I'm heading to Thailand in about a week and haven't booked hotels/hostels at all yet. Everyone I've spoken to just says it's easy enough to wing everything, and that's very much my style of travel. But I figured I'd double check with you guys: Should I in fact make some reservations before it's too late? If I should, does anyone recommend any particular (Cheap, I don't care for luxury) accommodations?

[Edit: Err, should note that I'm flying into and out of BKK and going to Chang Mai and maybe another place in between]

youll be fine. its hard to give recommendations mostly cuz its such a clusterfuck to find places in bangkok if you dont know the place. just head down to khao san and then look for a place on a nearby street. i prefer soi rambutri cuz its close enough to khao san so i can get my fill of dumb tourist street but not so close that i cant escape.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Longanimitas posted:

Who can tell me about Si Phan Dong? I plan on hitting Vang Vieng and Vientiane but those are my only two planned destinations in Laos and I was looking for a third.

Any reason not Luang Prabang? Si Phan Dong is a good 15 hours away give or take.

I can't speak for Si Phan Dong, but if you're heading that way. You might want to take a quick stop at Wat Phu Champasak since it's on the way.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Arglebargle III posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you guys deal with the broken old alcoholic sex tourist types? I just discovered one of my coworkers is one, though of course I had my suspicions before. He fits the stereotype to a tee. Fortunately doesn't work near me so I rarely have to see him.

He caught me giving him the stink eye last time we were together though. I thought I was getting good at self-control but apparently I was unable to hide my scorn that night. (That's a great word, just say it out loud right now, "scorn.") He was drunk and rambling and I just couldn't nod quietly in polite agreement when he caught my eye. How do you SEA goons co-exist?

My apologies in advance to anyone who may be a broken old sex tourist alcoholic type.
This was a very interesting question that we all politely and subtly declined to discuss in public, looking the other way and moving on to another topic, which is the answer to the question.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Yes, that is the polite answer.

Don't mistake it for a "close your eyes, say la-la-la-la loudly" kind of thing. If they want to come for some of the exotic women~ or ladyboys~ or whatever, that's their thing and just leave them to it because you're better off not knowing or wanting to know.

Little kids (and to the extent, human trafficking), though, different story.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If it's a really serious just anonymously report them to the authorities back home and hope you can get something. Or try the local police/NGO. Heck if you don't like him enough might as well just report him for the fun of it. The stereotypical sexpat is just fodder for every media community to feast on. Since this is the internet please describe this coworker in detail and why it disgusts you. For better content put black bars over his face and post how much he fits your stereotype.

Argle are you very sure that your coworker knows you gave him the stink eye because of him being a broken sexpat instead of other reasons? He could have been a fat slob, an rear end in a top hat, or whatever, or maybe, even your eye was itchy. You didn't leer at him for 10 seconds straight like Reverend Lovejoy's wife did you? Sexpats always get stared, pointed, or whatever. They deal with a lot of stigma and get picked on everyday but consider themselves "different" and have one goal in mind. So I wouldn't worry care too much if it's just a one off incident. I'm sure they have dealt with much worst situations.

People who endlessly talk about any subject without regard to their audience are very annoying. Dealing with random rants about paid sex/WOMEN BACK WEST is just as bad as listening to a sperg lord's dolfie astral dragon sephiroth fetish. Since I'm not a white male, Creepy old men sitting next to me don't suddenly burst into their adventures of sex tourism. I can only relish on random posts from ReindeerF's Thaivisa forum quotes. From casual observation they are filthy, messy, major cheap skates.

I actually feel sorry for a cousin of mine. She's a young successful entrepreneur and is cohabiting with an older divorced French dude 30 years senior. Both are not into marriage and kids but when they are travelling together everyone thinks she is some Asian hooker :(

caberham fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 8, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Use of the word 'nubile' should be a crime.

caberham posted:

I actually feel sorry for a cousin of mine. She's a young successful entrepreneur and is cohabiting with an older divorced French dude 30 years senior. Both are not into marriage and kids but when they are travelling together everyone thinks she is some Asian hooker :(

When I went with my crazy-rear end Hong Kong girlfriend to the psychiatrist, he asked her, looking at me "So your boyfriend is quite a bit older than you?"

"Not really, he's 24 and I'm 20." :gonk: White people look old, goons look older :gonk:

Deep State of Mind fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 8, 2013

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol internet. posted:

Any reason not Luang Prabang? Si Phan Dong is a good 15 hours away give or take.

I can't speak for Si Phan Dong, but if you're heading that way. You might want to take a quick stop at Wat Phu Champasak since it's on the way.

Ugh I didn't realize it was so far out of the way. Thanks for the advice, I'll probably skip it and head to Luang Prabang instead.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

caberham posted:

If it's a really serious just anonymously report them to the authorities back home and hope you can get something. Or try the local police/NGO. Heck if you don't like him enough might as well just report him for the fun of it. The stereotypical sexpat is just fodder for every media community to feast on. Since this is the internet please describe this coworker in detail and why it disgusts you. For better content put black bars over his face and post how much he fits your stereotype.

Argle are you very sure that your coworker knows you gave him the stink eye because of him being a broken sexpat instead of other reasons? He could have been a fat slob, an rear end in a top hat, or whatever, or maybe, even your eye was itchy. You didn't leer at him for 10 seconds straight like Reverend Lovejoy's wife did you? Sexpats always get stared, pointed, or whatever. They deal with a lot of stigma and get picked on everyday but consider themselves "different" and have one goal in mind. So I wouldn't worry care too much if it's just a one off incident. I'm sure they have dealt with much worst situations.

FWIW, the U.S. takes illegal sex tourism very seriously; especially in the case of human trafficking and pedophilia. It gives all Americans abroad a bad reputation and the State Department is having none of that / H-dawgs and Rice made it bullet points during their tenure. Homeland keeps (AFAIK/C, an unofficial) list of countries that people tend to go for that kind of thing, countries like Thailand, with a high conviction rate of U.S. pedophiles going there for sex. Off-the-records they kind of flag any single males coming/going in a short time; in the same manner they off-the-record flag any 'muslim-appearing' folks for further patdowns under the guise of random inspections.

That's why you get the peciular version of 20 trip-questions and strange looks when you come back from Bangkok, becuase of the statistic probability. You can see it yourself in action, next time you return from Thailand, tell them you stayed in Pattaya for the views.

that said you can usually point out a sexpat pretty far away. they're not goon-y, they're like a step below that.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Tytan posted:

It was full of tourists and freelancers

I'm thinking of laid off journalists or graphic designers. What do you mean by freelancers?

Maxsmart posted:

I figure as long as I'm not dumb I won't get robbed...My main goal of most vacations is to collect experiences.

Getting robbed is an experience and if you only carry a little bit of money on you at the time, it's a relatively cheap one.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
What's Koh Phi Phi like? I'm not really interested in a heavy nightlife; really, I want some nice beaches where I can soak up the sun, good food, and a decent bar or two.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

DontAskKant posted:

I'm thinking of laid off journalists or graphic designers. What do you mean by freelancers?
:lol:

ProfessorCirno posted:

What's Koh Phi Phi like? I'm not really interested in a heavy nightlife; really, I want some nice beaches where I can soak up the sun, good food, and a decent bar or two.
Packed, too small, overpriced. Go elsewhere. You can stay right across the bay in one of the beaches around Ao Nang and take a boat over to Phi Phi for the day.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

ReindeerF posted:

Packed, too small, overpriced. Go elsewhere. You can stay right across the bay in one of the beaches around Ao Nang and take a boat over to Phi Phi for the day.

So where in general would you recommend? Ao Nang?

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

Yo! Pass on the pic, sounds awesome, heh.

I wish I had my camera with me at the time. It was perfect.

DontAskKant posted:

Hello Darling! You are very handsome man. I can make you business card na? You buy me drink first?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ProfessorCirno posted:

So where in general would you recommend? Ao Nang?

Guess it's already waaaaaay back in the thread, but I went rock climbing in Raileh, a small island off Ao Nang beach near Krabi town. It's a small pricier island with a very nice beach (James bond beach) and lots of rock climbing. If money and time is no object, go everywhere. That's the fun part of SEA, there's always some off beach you can go or hear about. My next SEA travel goal, go south to Indonesia and try island hop to Australia or Philippines. Probably remote with lots of bumpy boat and bus rides, and take me far out in the sticks. But by the time I can realize the dream, everything will be developed :downsgun:

Keep in mind the whole Gulf of Thailand is basically a gigantic beach. You can ask your hostel mates where to go, mingle around, hook up with a travel girlfriend and go where ever or just places and see for yourself. I say this time and again keep in mind that many posters here have been around the block and are pickier than your fresh off the boat :neckbeard:ASIA:neckbeard: tourist. Heck lots of people already consider Phuket or Pattaya a beach paradise. Or stay in 5 star resorts and call it the day. I was actually surprised in a nice way in Raileh and the lesser big name places "what? girlie bars are rare?"

Morricone
Jul 7, 2005

DontAskKant posted:

Nice to meet you Chauncey Gardiner :D

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

DontAskKant posted:

Hahahaha. Prostitutes man.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
I'm in for a world of fun. Koh Tao to Surat Thani on the night boat, a bus to Hat Yai, then a bus to Kuala Lumpur. I leave at 9:30pm tonight and I think I arrive in KL 24 hours later. I'll be in KL until Sunday, if anyone is around...

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

DontAskKant posted:

Rapsey posted:

Hahahaha. Prostitutes man.

Basically this. More specifically, the girls that hang out at random clubs etc. rather than working at a specific bar. Guaranteed to see a few if you go into any of the touristy clubs in Phnom Penh.

On that note, I'm now kinda worried what people here think when I tell them I'd like to eventually work freelance.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Tytan posted:

Basically this. More specifically, the girls that hang out at random clubs etc. rather than working at a specific bar. Guaranteed to see a few if you go into any of the touristy clubs in Phnom Penh.

On that note, I'm now kinda worried what people here think when I tell them I'd like to eventually work freelance.

So they operate outside of any sort of organized crime/'pimp' structure?

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

DontAskKant posted:

Yes, although they usually have to pay something to the bar as far as I know. But they're kind of free to choose where and when they work.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

DontAskKant posted:

I'm not sure about Cambodia, but in Thailand it's not so much a crime/pimp thing. In SEA there is this thing called a beer bar. They basically employ women whose job is to sleep with their customers. There are also gogo clubs, soap massage places, etc. Generally those women are not forced into it. They look for wealthy foreign men to latch on to. It is very common for old white guys to retire to SEA, or visit a couple of times a year and keep "girlfriends". They of course financially support those women (and their families).

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Finch! posted:

I'm in for a world of fun. Koh Tao to Surat Thani on the night boat, a bus to Hat Yai, then a bus to Kuala Lumpur. I leave at 9:30pm tonight and I think I arrive in KL 24 hours later. I'll be in KL until Sunday, if anyone is around...

Was the purpose of not giving visas in Penang just to make things inconvenient for all the people working illegally on Koh Tao?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I guess this is my first time taking a real look at Thaivisa.com and its forum. Holy smokes that place is like a hell dump gold mine :wtf: Some of the listings and threads is ridiculous, RingoR you got to add this stuff and excerpts of it to the OP. I don't even live in BKK, and I wonder if you see a lot of this stuff in the British pubs? Is this stuff made up to generate internet traffic? Man I better just close the browser and move on, this stuff is more depressing than crazies with diaper fetish, broken hoarders, or ask me about my best friend being married to an anime character.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/164-marriage-and-divorce/

Affair With A Thai Girl

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/609835-affair-with-a-thai-girl/ posted:

I thought it would nice just to share my experience of being with a Thai girl I met in my country and would appreciate whatever comments in order to understand the whole situation better.

Lets call her Amy. She's a Thai, aged 25. When I first met her, she was working in a pub in my homeland. Basically, she was serving me my drinks and sat with me for a while. We chatted, drink and exchanged numbers. Few days later, I called her out for lunch and she agreed. We were meeting about 3 to 4 times a week and grew closer. At times when she is not well, I would bring her medicines and cared for her to some extent.

A month later, its time for her to return to Thailand. We kept in touch by calls and texting. I encouraged her to continue with her studies in uni and will pay for her fees. Besides, I told her I will send some funds to her monthly for her expenses and whatnot. I am doing this because of liking for her and wish to help her out.

Back in Thailand, she lives on her own in an apartment. She has a baby boy where she schooled him in some international school. During her younger years, she had a boyfriend for some years and that's how the baby came about. And as usual, she claimed that Thai guys like to "butterfly" as in looking for new girls.
And now that she's all alone by herself and has to fend everything on her own including bringing up the child. From our conversation, apparently she had a rich boyfriend who took care of everything and gives her a monthly allowance of 50000-70000 THB all this years and she seems to be living well with him. Whether she is lying or not I will never know and not interested to know. I am just taking everything at face value.

As she is going to start her uni soon, I obediently sent her 30000THB every month. Not inclusive of uni fees. This is to cover her rental, child care, and general expenses. Coming towards the third month, I was about to be doing the same until she complains that 30000THB is insufficient for her. When I heard this, I was flabbergasted. I couldn't comprehend that a student would require so much monies to sustain her life. I did tell her to spend wisely and learn to save. But according to her, she says Thais love spending money and buy whatever they wish and does not save much. Besides, she also mentioned that she need to gives money to her parents even though they are still working. And she expects me to foot everything.

We had some quarelling and I finally decided not to send her anymore funds.For I do not want to be taken for a ride anymore. Moreover, I can't see what she does in Thailand.

All these have come to a past, I am not bitter at all. For I did this out of love for someone and whatever money spent is no issue to me.

But I am curious, did she take me for a ride ? Or is this the norm for Thai girls ? That man should shoulder those resposibilities ? However, when I came to Thailand to see her, she actually wanted me to meet her parents. Sort of confused.

:laffo:

And posts about overcoming alcoholism. right next to banners advertising Brit pubs in Thailand :smith: Ok, I think I better get off the internet.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

At least he didn't marry her, he didn't end too badly.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

caberham posted:

Heck lots of people already consider Phuket or Pattaya a beach paradise. Or stay in 5 star resorts and call it the day. I was actually surprised in a nice way in Raileh and the lesser big name places "what? girlie bars are rare?"

Phuket seems alright so far, but really it's just more of the same, and nothing that you couldn't get anywhere else in Thailand/Cambodia. I would wager however that I haven't seen the depths of despair it offers since I'm one of the aforementioned 5 star crew. In my defense, the bill is being footed for my holiday by my girlfriends parents, and I'm more of a 'Roof and it's good' type. Still, I'm enjoying my five days - possibly because compared to Singapore, everything is cheap, I can actually smile at people and they smile back etc.

Apart from the Russians. They need to lighten up somewhat. :scotland:

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
One more day before I'm off!

I'm going to need to get an EU(round prong)/US plus converter for my cell phone. MBK is the first place that springs to mind, but I'm guessing they still do bag inspections there? Any other places I can get something like that?

I'm just burning time before the night bus to Chiang Mai, so I'll have my full bag with me. Not into unloading the whole drat thing at a checkpoint. No, I'm not "that guy" with the 80L bag... it's 35L :/

BTW, nice Silom write-up, Sheep-Goats! Definitely going to try some of that food out.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

Haha no, I was giving him the stink eye because he broke into an interesting conversation I was having with the car's driver about movies with his own anecdotes and then rambled on drunkenly until we somehow arrived at the Vancouver Olympics. Because he was drunk he thought my look was insulting Vancouver instead of him personally and called me out for hating Vancouver. :psyduck:

Just being a drunk bozo. If he didn't brag openly about nailing Thai girls (presumably for money) I wouldn't have known, but the thing is he did. Just a colossal boor really but it was partially connected to SEA so I decided to post in your thread ka. OH NO KRUUUUUB!

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 8, 2013

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I am (tentatively) planning to be in Koh Tao in the middle of February, and I would like to do the cliche thing and do a scuba course. I've glanced around online and it seems like there are dozens of places that basically offer the same range of stuff. I'm coming as a complete beginner and I'm guessing I would want to do one of the 4 day inclusive type things (tell me if this is a terrible idea). Any recommendations as far as where to go and what the best plan is for someone who is a complete scuba newbie?

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
People here seem to like Big Blue and they're really ok, but also really large so it feels less personal. Also group sizes are up to (not always) six people which can be to big depending on the skills and needyness of the people in your group. However I have no experience with any other school on Koh Tao and I liked my time (as a complete noob) with Big Blue just fine. Later I learned to appreciate smaller groups and smaller schools, where you get to know everyone in a day.

Finch is currently doing his DM with Big Blue and I think there is another goon on the island with another school he was quite happy about, especially the fact they're in the water real early, which I'd say everywhere else would suck because you have to get up early, but on Koh Tao, the most abundant species underwater is Homo Sapiens, so it's and advantage.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

Finch! posted:

Dive instructors can make pretty good money - think 100000+ baht per month.
Am I correct in thinking I can go from no experience (well, 6 recreational dives) to instructor with about £1000?
edit: Not including accomodation. I've found a package including accommodation for £1600.

Xeno fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 8, 2013

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
I don't know what you've found but that seems absolutely impossible. Also don't get your hopes up of landing a nice job right away. There is a lot of difference between having an instructor course under your belt and actually being a good instructor. Zero to hero like packages net you way too little experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melly Gloworm
Sep 20, 2003

she invites-- nay, implores-- you to explore every inch of the fucked up haunted house that is her face
I've been tooling around Asia for a few months (two months in Japan, one month in Korea) and headed over to Vietnam at the start of December. Traveled North from Hanoi down to Saigon and then over the Cambodia, which is my current location (Siem Reap). I am really enjoying Cambodia! The vibe here is great, Vietnam was a little hectic for my tastes (not to mention some weird night train experiences, nothing like being the only girl in the berth and waking up hearing my berth-mate watching an instructional sex video-- "explosive g-sport orgasms"-- on his phone). Tomorrow I'm heading to Kratie and then onto 4000 Islands in Laos. I was debating going to Thailand first but I am planning on flying to Malaysia at the start of February and Thailand's 15 day overland visa left me with a weird 6 or so day chunk where I'd have to do a visa run.

Anyone in Laos or heading there? I've heard really good things but the most resounding description is LAID BACK :3: Not really looking forward to endless lovely bus rides however.