Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Revener posted:

Who do I need to talk to to get the hour-and-change I just wasted on Iron Skies back? I feel like somewhere my evil twin was wringing his hands and laughing maniacally as he set the final production reel to print, knowing that I would one day suffer the terrible fate of having to watch this cinematic equivalent of a stale wet fart.

It is a bad movie is what I am trying to say.

V The ending made up for it in the sense that it stopped the film from continuing.

Some Finnish dudes I guess.
I saw it in a cinema with a friend once because we were bored and there wasn't really anything on that seemed more interesting than Nazis On The Moon. Though the thing is that there are only actually a few poeple who can pull off the intentional B-movie that later becomes a cult classic thing, and the ones who made this movie aren't the ones. I seem to remember that at the end there was a joke that was literally just "George W. Bush" and the movie expected the audience to laugh, which they actually did and I tried to eat my eyebrows.
I sometimes feel like I'm kind of out of touch and maybe a bit haughty or some such stupid thing when I go to the movies as people seem to be laughing at the worst things all the loving time, like Pepsi commercials, the trailer for some outrageous sex comedy or jokes which are literally just namedrops of bad president. Every time it takes a bit of my sould away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
I just watched V/H/S because of all the hype in this thread. How could anyone enjoy that movie? It was so dumb. My buddy and I were in stiches over how bad it was and how little sense it made.

But I guess some people enjoyed Paranormal Activity too. I don't get it.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
I watched and enjoyed V/H/S the other day, and I really liked it! I've never really watched a lot of horror, but I'm been getting increasingly keen to, so maybe it's a good fit for a horror rookie like me. It's like slasher guy/ghosts/zombie/demons/whatever 101, it's all in there, and none of it really outstays its welcome or fails to deliver on concept.

I'll also go against recent posts and say that I really enjoyed Iron Sky. It's real sincere about being dumb as hell, and pulls off a lot of funny concepts nicely. It's so up front about how pandering to a certain demographic it is, I couldn't help but like it. The satire is so on the nose that it kind of wraps around, through being so dumb that it can't be considered satire at all, to being very upfront about that eurocentric "lol america" view.

e: I guess that's a spoiler.

Shanty fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 7, 2013

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There's a documentary called "The Tents" on streaming, about the New York fashion shows in Bryant Park.

I thought it would be an interesting subject and I've liked other docs on the subject like "The September Issue", but it's not very good at all. It has a lot of interviews with famous American designers and magazine editors, but they really don't say much at all. It's like the documentarians ran out of stuff to say about their actual subject after 30 minutes, and ended up just throwing filler fashion subjects in. Like a 10 minute section on Project Runway. Suggest you skip it.

(This kind of thing always makes me conflicted as far as rating it on Netflix. If I rate it one or two stars, does Netflix now think I don't like this subject?)

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

If you like gee-whiz Americana, October Sky is a pretty well-done Joe Johnston vehicle about a teenager (Jake Gylenhaal) who aspires to get into NASA/rocketry even as his family pulls him into his father's coal mining business in West Virginia.

I can vouch for this one. October Sky is about as schmaltzy and saccharine as a film can get, but it's a very well-produced little film. Jake Gyllenhaal and Chris Cooper put on their best angry faces at each other, and while the script gets pretty hackneyed at times ("I don't want yer life, daaaad! :argh:"), it's heart is in the right place. It's a great little companion piece to The Right Stuff or From the Earth to the Moon.

e: And Mark Isham's score might be one of the saddest sounds I've ever heard.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Rightfully hate the fanbase all you want. But Invader Zim is a fun watch.

Pandabearassault
Sep 1, 2004

The only bar with soul...of children
V/H/S was good. It was no .rec but then again it was way better than Paranormal Activity.

I couldn't make it through the first 20 minutes of Iron Sky.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Randarkman posted:

I seem to remember that at the end there was a joke that was literally just "George W. Bush" and the movie expected the audience to laugh, which they actually did and I tried to eat my eyebrows.

Yeah Iron Sky is pretty much what I feared it would be. They didn't have the skill to make actual jokes about their premise and instead crammed it full of outdated references, memes and poo poo like that. Please don't judge all of Finland based on that movie. Go watch Rare Exports instead.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Volume posted:

Rightfully hate the fanbase all you want. But Invader Zim is a fun watch.

I'm discovering at about 18 episodes in that it's finding a much stronger comedic voice as well, and relying less on the body horror and general weirdness.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone have guesses for Mad Men season 5 showing up?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Anyone have guesses for Mad Men season 5 showing up?

If past trends are an indicator, shortly before Season 6 starts airing.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

If anyone hasn't seen it, Rosemary's Baby is up.

It's' really loving good.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Skywalker OG posted:

If anyone hasn't seen it, Rosemary's Baby is up.

It's' really loving good.

Skip, completely fails to live up to the standard set by the Look Who's Talking and Baby Geniuses films.

Collects Welfare
May 16, 2006

I see what you did there...
Take This Waltz is about a married woman who falls in love with another man. It's slow paced and deliberate, and I feel like it could have been a good movie. But it isn't. Certain moments are excellent, conveying pages of emotion and thought in just a few motions. Ultimately, though, it tries too hard to court hipsters with its soundtrack and costumes. It tries to be deep, but it's a really shallow movie. Unfortunately, (and maybe it's because I'm a fool) that isn't apparent until the end. I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't do it.

Has anyone else seen it and disagreed? Is there something I missed?

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Thwomp posted:

If past trends are an indicator, shortly before Season 6 starts airing.
Which will probably happen around March... so look for Mad Men season 5 in the next couple of months I imagine.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

casa de mi padre posted:

Which will probably happen around March... so look for Mad Men season 5 in the next couple of months I imagine.

I couldn't handle the wait anymore so I just got the discs from Netflix.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Just finished Paranormal Activity 2 and 3, the stories were just terrible but the found footage aspect of it was interesting in the same way those old ghost-cam websites were when I was a kid. Anything else on Netflix that runs with the latter aspect? I'm pretty anti-sex/gore in my horror films so I'm sure that's going to cut the pool down, and is why I think I'm going to have to steer clear of V/H/S.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Revener posted:

Just finished Paranormal Activity 2 and 3, the stories were just terrible but the found footage aspect of it was interesting in the same way those old ghost-cam websites were when I was a kid. Anything else on Netflix that runs with the latter aspect? I'm pretty anti-sex/gore in my horror films so I'm sure that's going to cut the pool down, and is why I think I'm going to have to steer clear of V/H/S.

Not on Netflix but you'll probably like Ghostwatch. It can be watched online

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Revener posted:

I've heard Grave Encounters is good although I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Session 9 is a good psychological movie, although its not exactly found footage. The characters do listen to some creepy-rear end tapes they found throughout the course of the movie though.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Ghost Adventures is the worst of the lot. Its a howto guide for presenting evidence and never have it credibly checked.
After a short marathon, My friends and myself agree that if you have to watch one of the three Chuck Norris movies on NF, The Octagon is king.
If you love Commando style storytelling your in for a hilarious ride.
Chuck fights ninjas despite his insistence that they don't exist anymore. His sidekick is worthless, his girlfriend is daft, and his internal monologue is echoed. Ninja Terrorist training camp and its all american run of the mill trainees is a highlight. Enjoy.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Revener posted:

Just finished Paranormal Activity 2 and 3, the stories were just terrible but the found footage aspect of it was interesting in the same way those old ghost-cam websites were when I was a kid. Anything else on Netflix that runs with the latter aspect?

It's not a found footage movie, but The Innkeepers is about two people who are attempting to make such a website about a hotel with a grisly past. Great film, you should watch it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Junkie Disease posted:

Ghost Adventures is the worst of the lot. Its a howto guide for presenting evidence and never have it credibly checked.
After a short marathon, My friends and myself agree that if you have to watch one of the three Chuck Norris movies on NF, The Octagon is king.
If you love Commando style storytelling your in for a hilarious ride.
Chuck fights ninjas despite his insistence that they don't exist anymore. His sidekick is worthless, his girlfriend is daft, and his internal monologue is echoed. Ninja Terrorist training camp and its all american run of the mill trainees is a highlight. Enjoy.

Also Bob the Joker's Goon/Plate o' Shrimp guy from Repo Man/Masturbating Bum from It's Always Sunny shows up for about 10 seconds.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Collects Welfare posted:

Take This Waltz is about a married woman who falls in love with another man. It's slow paced and deliberate, and I feel like it could have been a good movie. But it isn't. Certain moments are excellent, conveying pages of emotion and thought in just a few motions. Ultimately, though, it tries too hard to court hipsters with its soundtrack and costumes. It tries to be deep, but it's a really shallow movie. Unfortunately, (and maybe it's because I'm a fool) that isn't apparent until the end. I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't do it.

Has anyone else seen it and disagreed? Is there something I missed?

Nope. You hit the nail on the head. It also has (IMO) a really unlikable protagonist.

Diogenes Ex
Feb 4, 2011

by T. Finninho

Sarchasm posted:

It's not a found footage movie, but The Innkeepers is about two people who are attempting to make such a website about a hotel with a grisly past. Great film, you should watch it.

I'd recommend this one on the strength of the characters, although I felt the ending was that from a much, much lesser movie.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Flippycunt posted:

I've heard Grave Encounters is good although I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.
Grave Encounters was fantastic! I'd expand on that but I think you should go into this blind; rest assured if you like found footage horror you can't go wrong here. The only negative thing I have to say is I felt the movie would have been better going back to the intro and getting reactions after the fact. A nitpick but there you go.

Revener fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 8, 2013

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread but Larry Clark's "Bully" is up on streaming. Haven't seen it since it was first released on VHS. Not as good as I remembered it being and Clark's "direction" borders on voyeurism at times, but it's at least well acted.

Kithyen fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 8, 2013

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Diogenes Ex posted:

I'd recommend this one on the strength of the characters, although I felt the ending was that from a much, much lesser movie.

I liked the ending. There's no big twist, but it doesn't necessarily need one. It's a very slow ramp up to the inevitable, and it gets there naturally without a whole lot of contrivances. It's not my favorite horror film on Netflix, but it's probably very near the top.

That's maybe the weakest spoiler I've ever spoilered. I have spoilered the absence of a spoiler. Spoiler!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Flippycunt posted:

I've heard Grave Encounters is good although I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.
Now this was worth my time. It starts off sort of slow but gathers momentum steadily. It was found-footage -- hell, just paranormal horror in general -- done well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kithyen posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread but Larry Clark's "The Bully" is up on streaming. Haven't seen it since it was first released on VHS. Not as good as I remembered it being and Clark's "direction" borders on voyeurism at times, but it's at least well acted.

"The Bully"? Anyway, it features some real life teenage wasteoids like Brad Renfro, incest survivor Bijou Philips, a very young Michael Pitt and Nick Stahl in a career performance that undoubtedly typecast him.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Now this was worth my time. It starts off sort of slow but gathers momentum steadily. It was found-footage -- hell, just paranormal horror in general -- done well.

I really enjoyed the first half but I thought it went downhill when the ghoul thingies started popping up and the ending was dumb. I'd say it's worth watching though.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 8, 2013

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011

axleblaze posted:

Not on Netflix but you'll probably like Ghostwatch. It can be watched online

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

This gave me nightmares for weeks when I was a kid.

loving Mr Pipes. :gonk:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Innkeepers was painful. Modestly well shot, above average casting, and frankly felt like Amy Poehler was in a old hotel. Decent chemistry between the two protagonists.
Here is where they screwed the pooch. They had cast ripe for a dark comedy, and instead forced the middle pages of a horror script in the middle of it. Then they forgot to have an ending with any meaning.

Lady with kid? Red Herring.

Has been tv Star? forshadowing and empty epilogue.

Old man? Worthless flavor.

Side story about internet site? Pointless.

Its a shame because I like the first half of the movie, its when the horror shows up the movie falls apart.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Are the Doc Martin movies any good? We are kind of addicted to Martin Clunes now.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

incest survivor Bijou Philips

Her sister Mackenzie is the incest survivor. Bijou was a spoiled rich kid who got chauffeured to New York clubs and got hosed up when she was like 14.

She's also on Raising Hope which is worth a watch. Feels like the unofficial successor to Malcolm in the Middle.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I know Mackenzie is the one that was actually molested but I thought Bijou was around for all that stuff and defended her dad in public and all that?

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Watch MI:III for Phillip Seymour Hoffman chewing as much scenery as he can in the time he gets.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Junkie Disease posted:

Lady with kid? Red Herring.

Has been tv Star? forshadowing and empty epilogue.

Old man? Worthless flavor.

Side story about internet site? Pointless.

All of these elements have a purpose, and none of them are pointless.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Grave Encounters was pretty good, but it went on like 10 mins too long.

The entire movie was great, but basically if they had stopped the movie about 10-15 mins before the actual ending, it would have been a LOT better.

That being said, avoid the sequel like herpes and the plague. It's horrible, and not in the "oh so bad it's good" way. It just flat out sucks.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I've only seen clips on youtube but it appears to be a great movie if you're terrified of people with badly photoshopped faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collects Welfare
May 16, 2006

I see what you did there...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Grave Encounters was pretty good, but it went on like 10 mins too long.

The entire movie was great, but basically if they had stopped the movie about 10-15 mins before the actual ending, it would have been a LOT better.

That being said, avoid the sequel like herpes and the plague. It's horrible, and not in the "oh so bad it's good" way. It just flat out sucks.

Yes! Why add the occultist bullshit at the end? Wasn't "haunted as poo poo" enough?

maxnmona posted:

I've only seen clips on youtube but it appears to be a great movie if you're terrified of people with badly photoshopped faces.

The effects did leave a bit to be desired. The "arms reaching from the walls" bit is so stale. But on the whole it was a good haunted asylum movie.

• Locked thread