Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
Seattle/East Side people! We should start a Crusade of Fire campaign! I got the book, the tiles, the space and the beer. Who's in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

AgentF posted:

Although people do get details wrong, in this case I'm starting to lean towards cheating. He took a "Daemon Weapon" and now I see that there isn't a generic Daemon Weapon anymore and none of the weapons you can take match the profile of what this Chaos Lord had. If they were mistakes then they were all in his favour and all at opportune times. Plus considering his conduct at the end of the match (deliberately running down the clock to get a VP victory) I'm not willing to give the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Asking politely to see the codex is precisely the issue I was asking about earlier. How often is too often? I think Khorne Flakes has the right of it. I'll just have to be a codex pest for every army I'm unfamiliar with. I try really hard to be nice and let a lot of things slide (letting opponents take moves/shots they forgot about, being lenient about 25% cover, 4+ing tricky situations) so I hate the idea of being taken advantage of for it.

I have no shame in checking the book as often as I desire. If it's a book I'm not familiar with, I tell them that I appreciate they've just gone through it with me verbally, but I'd like to know for future and I learn much better by reading stuff myself than I do from just hearing it (which is true) and if it's one I know well I say that I must have missed that bit or be misremembering it and I'd like to check because X seems cool and I'd like to be able to do it. I've caught people out enough times (or found myself in the wrong, which is equally useful and prevents bad feeling through a game because I think something is other than it is) that it's worth the effort.

Very often you find that people aren't cheating so much as they've read the first half of something and gotten really excited about it and not read the second part carefully enough, or they've misunderstood a part of the rule (often what the rule actually applies to, the classic being Preferred Enemy against things with no WS in 5th ed) that they don't bring up when they tell you what they're doing because they didn't get it in the first place. I had one like this in 5th with Mephiston where the guy swore blind that he could multiple assault with Mephi on his own because blah blah base size close together etc. etc. until I told him you could only multiple assault with the 2nd model in a unit and asked him where the 2nd model was in the unit of 1. That game ended up being quite pleasant after that.

Or they're just like my buddy who's been playing both Fantasy and 40k since literally before I was born and still can't remember what the roll to-wound is for S4 vs. T4 and has some bizarre new interpretation of the rules for every new game he plays. This week it was that Templars take Morale checks as soon as they take a casualty and move immediately because Righteous Zeal.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Master Twig posted:

Rumors or not, all I want in the next Tyranid codex is for Genestealers and Carnifexes to be good.

(Article mentioned)

Honestly so long as they don't remove the Tervigons or change Termagants too bad, ala making their 'good' gun totally different from last codex, I'll be fine.

Also 2+ rerollable invulnerable saves on hormagaunts, Tyrannofexes becoming 250 points cheaper, eternal warrior across the board, and a new pony, is all I really want.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
For you, the day I painted this model was the most important day of your life. But for me... it was Tuesday.

I honestly don't know if this was a good idea or a bad idea, but I blame my fever either way. On the plus side it'll annoy the hell out of that store manager :v:. "WYSIWYG? He shoots lightning out of his fingers, that's the plasma pistol, and his fists are a close combat weapon!"

I really should paint things for fun more often.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Sykic posted:

For you, the day I painted this model was the most important day of your life. But for me... it was Tuesday.

I honestly don't know if this was a good idea or a bad idea, but I blame my fever either way. On the plus side it'll annoy the hell out of that store manager :v:. "WYSIWYG? He shoots lightning out of his fingers, that's the plasma pistol, and his fists are a close combat weapon!"

I really should paint things for fun more often.

This is glorious

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Liking that Bison.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Just got my Death Korps of Krieg platoon in the mail today. This is no good, as I have an exam this Thursday. Stuff from UK is usually a week underway and I wasn't expecting it yet!

The models were in pretty good condition, and I've already assembled and based the first test model. I'll update you guys as I progress, but it'll probably be kind of slow going.

Fake edit: Loving my new avatar! Thanks anonymous donor! :dance:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Cassa posted:

Honestly so long as they don't remove the Tervigons or change Termagants too bad, ala making their 'good' gun totally different from last codex, I'll be fine.

Also 2+ rerollable invulnerable saves on hormagaunts, Tyrannofexes becoming 250 points cheaper, eternal warrior across the board, and a new pony, is all I really want.

The change from Spinefists to Fleshborers as the defacto gun for Termagants really burned me from 4th to 5th. I have ~30 Spinegaunts sitting in a drawer, awaiting the day where their gun is no longer crap.

Hormagaunts could easily be fixed by making them Beasts instead of basic Infantry. Obviously a lot of rules don't function properly now that running denies assaulting; Bounding Leap is currently only useful for covering ground, where it was supposed to allow for the unit to get additional distance before charging.

I could dream-list all the fixes I think that would make Tyranids more varied, but I'm honestly happy enough with them as-is to wait it out. Biomancy and other 6th Ed. changes makes MC lists pretty competitive. I struggled with the changes for a long time and watched as others went mad, tossing their plastic fortunes into a sea of despair. But it was all right, everything was all right, for me the struggle was finished. I have won the victory over myself. I love the Tyranid codex.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I'd be more worried about losing Hive Guard, personally. They're exactly what the army needed, are powerful, and almost everyone has them: a strong recipe for nerfing by GW standards. Then again, looking at the last few releases, they've seemingly stopped making GBS threads all over popular models/loadouts so much as tweaking them a bit (plague marines, for example). But then again, Carnifexes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

AgentF posted:

In my mind the Tyranid codex is still new, but probably since I've only played against them a couple of times since it came out. My opponents were vociferous about how much they disliked the new codex.

Whenever a codex goes from ridiculous to balanced* it causes a massive stink. The changes from the hilariously op 4th Ed Chaos book to the 5th edition book didnt actually make them that bad. It just removed the ridiculous things like Obliterator Spam, Basilisks and stupid amounts of Heavy Support choices that generally made it boring and unfun to play against.

*Note that while I say the codex is balanced, this would have required all of the big monsters to have been released when the book was, which as we all know wasnt true. This left most players with massive voids in their army lists since not everyone is capable of converting models.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Pyrovores are going to be the next big thing.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ghetto wormhole posted:

Well god knows they can't get much worse. They sure as poo poo don't do anything now (not even what they were supposed to, which was also silly/dumb), which is a shame cause the models are pretty cool.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

ghetto wormhole posted:

Since they made wholesale changes to a bunch of Necron units, I never understood why they just didn't make Pyrovores Anti-air. It even looks like it has an AA gun strapped to its back.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Tommofork posted:

Titanicus is about Titans, but it's great and worth a read. It gives a lot of insight into the Mechanicum, the awesome Skitarii and how they do their thing in the setting. The Night Lords series are good for a look, ADB is very good at writing personalities into his Space Marines, and there's a lot of brutal Marine on Marine action, but this is back to 40K and not 30K.
I have the book Mechanicum, by graham McNiell, and I loved it. It's 30k, and as the name implies is centered on the AdMech, and deals with how the Dark Mechanicus came to be. It had some really good memorable characters. And there's some titan action in it too.
Oh, and there's a not so insignificant reference to DoW Dark Crusade in it.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 8, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK, what is '30k'? I assume that is talk for Pre-Heresy?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

30k is circa-heresy.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Adrian Finol posted:

Seattle/East Side people! We should start a Crusade of Fire campaign! I got the book, the tiles, the space and the beer. Who's in?

I have no idea what a crusade of fire campaign is, and I haven't actually played this game since 4th edition, but I'm in.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Thundercracker posted:

Since they made wholesale changes to a bunch of Necron units, I never understood why they just didn't make Pyrovores Anti-air. It even looks like it has an AA gun strapped to its back.

My dream idea for pyrovores is to make them beasts, then give them a flame blast that works like the hellhound flame cannon. Make them a crazy good anti-infantry unit. Then move them into fast attack so you don't have to take them over Hive Guard and Zoanthropes.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Master Twig posted:

My dream idea for pyrovores is to make them beasts, then give them a flame blast that works like the hellhound flame cannon. Make them a crazy good anti-infantry unit. Then move them into fast attack so you don't have to take them over Hive Guard and Zoanthropes.

Nids are already awesome at anti infantry, that is their whole shtick. Pyrovores should be twin linked multi meltas. :v:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Naramyth posted:

Nids are already awesome at anti infantry, that is their whole shtick. Pyrovores should be twin linked multi meltas. :v:

Maybe give them different kinds of ammo or guns like Oblits. Melta one turn, flame template the next!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Master Twig posted:

Maybe give them different kinds of ammo or guns like Oblits. Melta one turn, flame template the next!
They could easily work like the heat ray on the Triarch Stalker; either you shoot it as a heavy flamer, or as a two shot multimelta.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Adrian Finol posted:

Used there room for a half painted Tyranid army?

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Working on my chaos count-as Grey Knights.

click for BIG

New list has 5 dudes so I needed some storm bolters and psycannon.

What do you think of my double wide Berzerker bolt pistols and a modified heavy bolter? I have 4 of the old metal autocannon guys but they are old looking and would not match. And one day I may need more than 4 and then I would feel weird with mis-matched bodies.

MSP mentioned I should sell them since they go for about $10 each. I have never sold minis before. Feels bad, man :ohdear:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Those look dope.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Working on my chaos count-as Grey Knights.

click for BIG

New list has 5 dudes so I needed some storm bolters and psycannon.

What do you think of my double wide Berzerker bolt pistols and a modified heavy bolter? I have 4 of the old metal autocannon guys but they are old looking and would not match. And one day I may need more than 4 and then I would feel weird with mis-matched bodies.

MSP mentioned I should sell them since they go for about $10 each. I have never sold minis before. Feels bad, man :ohdear:

Pretty rad dude. What tubing did you use for the bolter/psycannon?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

WOM you've got some others already painted all ghosty green right? I'd love to see them again, I had an idea for something and I wanted to see yours for inspiration. Can you repost?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

CyberLord XP posted:

WOM you've got some others already painted all ghosty green right? I'd love to see them again, I had an idea for something and I wanted to see yours for inspiration. Can you repost?

That was me. :frogbon:

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Derp, my mistake! Very nice though, do you have any close-ups of any of the ghosty guys?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

CyberLord XP posted:

Derp, my mistake! Very nice though, do you have any close-ups of any of the ghosty guys?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Yesssss. Just what I wanted thanks!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Naramyth posted:

Pretty rad dude. What tubing did you use for the bolter/psycannon?

He's not going to know, but it's a bit from Robogear, essentially a Russian version of 2nd edition style 40k.
http://hoardobits.com/cgi/hob/shop.pl?cat1=Bits&cat2=Robogear&cat3=&cat4=&page=1&view=ROBO-2242012-21

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

ghetto wormhole posted:

It's usually possible to find a similar upgrade somewhere in one of the codexes, you can use that as a base for the points cost but you have to sort of factor in other things like what kind of unit you're upgrading and how expensive it is in the first place. Adding a major function to Rhinos is probably going to cost more than it would on a Land Raider. You also have to think how much it effects how the army operates, if it lets them do something they already do a little bit better then make it cheap, if it unlocks huge possibilities then it should probably cost a ton. 30ish points sounds pretty reasonable for a unit that only costs 35 points in the first place. Maybe you could add a drawback too.

Thanks to those who offered advice. I was thinking maybe 25 points and it reduced the troop capacity by two. If it were just normal space marines I would most likely give it to him for free, but with all the solid close combat choices Chaos Space Marines have I feel like it would make them too strong to give out for free. Two rhinos filled with Berserkers is already pretty scary, not getting to shoot at them at all for free makes them terrifying.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Adrian Finol posted:

"Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in."

gently caress it, count me in. I've got a bunch of half assembled armies and I need a reason to waste my precious time and money.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

This is the first time I noticed you repeat the lightning pattern on the gun barrels; that is a really nice touch.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
I am crazy and hate my free time and disposable income, and therefore am thinking of restarting playing 40k. I've got a whole load of Tau tanks, fire warriors and battlesuits, do I need much more? I've not even looked at the most recent 2 editions of 40k, the models look recent but I've seen some mentions that the codex is out of date and a new one is due out soon, is this the case?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Incy posted:

I am crazy and hate my free time and disposable income, and therefore am thinking of restarting playing 40k. I've got a whole load of Tau tanks, fire warriors and battlesuits, do I need much more? I've not even looked at the most recent 2 editions of 40k, the models look recent but I've seen some mentions that the codex is out of date and a new one is due out soon, is this the case?

Chaos Daemons are possibly getting a codex or some sort of update in January, then Tau and Eldar are definitely getting updates but I'm not sure what order they'll be in. Tau aren't completely worthless but they're very out of date at the moment but it shouldn't be too long before that changes. 6th edition is really fun.

\/\/\/ Oh yeah allies from other codexes help Tau a lot, and they're buddies with quite a few.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 8, 2013

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Incy posted:

Tau are pretty good now that they can get some IG/marines to hold the midfield. Once the new book comes out I might jump on it depending on what they get.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
They can what? In a normal game? Oh wow stuff has changed. Thanks, I think it's time to take a look at some new marine dolls.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Incy posted:

They can what? In a normal game? Oh wow stuff has changed. Thanks, I think it's time to take a look at some new marine dolls.

There's a big chart in the rulebook now that says who can ally with who and how friendly they are with each other. If you take allies you must take 1 HQ choice and 1 Troop choice and you have the option of also taking 1 Fast Attack and 1 Heavy Support. Tau are buddies with Eldar and Space Marines and are ok with everyone else but Dark Eldar, Daemons, Sisters of Battle, who probably aren't worth allying with because of restrictions placed on that level of allies. Tyranids can't ally with them (or anyone else for that matter) at all.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Sykic posted:

...Are those Bison-bucks in his hand? This is great.

• Locked thread