Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Deadreak posted:

Did you retouch her eyes? Can't stop looking at them, rather mesmerizing. Really like the composition, cutting off the hat was a good call imho, the childish hat is a nice suggestion without taking away focus from her face. How did you light it?

As for me:

Been getting into contrasts a bit lately (ne of the cleanest buildings in LA downtown haha)

Smoking Kills by deadreak, on Flickr

I suck at portraits of any kind, but happy with how this turned out. This guy is one of the happiest people I gave met and I think picture captures his personality rather well.

Happiness by deadreak, on Flickr

Thank you! I did put a curves adjustment and a little extra hue and saturation on the eyes to make them pop out, but they're pretty stunning in person as well! This was actually just done in my living room with a few 60 watt lamp bulbs on her, no setup at all really - I was up all the way to 3600 ISO. The eye lights are from a couple of windows about 29 feet away. Just a spur of the moment fun thing that turned out well!

I really like your first photo, I think you fulfilled your goal of getting a lot of really interesting tonal range in there. I'm a little confused about your inclusion of so much negative space in both, though - even the Lucky Strikes photo is over half flat gray.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Deadreak posted:

Been getting into contrasts a bit lately (ne of the cleanest buildings in LA downtown haha)

I love how the sky came out on this one, what time of day did you shoot it at? Lots of nice tones - the building looks great against that thick gray sky.

For some content, here are some recent-ish shots I've taken. I pretty much just post very occasionally in the low effort thread, thought it might be fun to post some of my bad amateur shots here for critique too.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
The world's heaviest apple.

I just got a new Canon 60D and wanted to take some test shots.

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 

Chitin posted:

I really like your first photo, I think you fulfilled your goal of getting a lot of really interesting tonal range in there. I'm a little confused about your inclusion of so much negative space in both, though - even the Lucky Strikes photo is over half flat gray.

Thanks for critique! I enjoy negative space a lot, just for creative reasons. For me sometimes lacks of details is more powerful in a photo, but just personal preference really.

slardel posted:

I love how the sky came out on this one, what time of day did you shoot it at? Lots of nice tones - the building looks great against that thick gray sky.

Thanks, I shoot it almost right after sun set (still wasn't fully night). Got stupid lucky with this one, stumbled out of the bar drunk, saw this, snapped a pic ha!

By the way, love simplicity of this one, the whole color pallet is pretty awesome and pleasant to look at (same with your last photo). Did you play with a curves or just came out looking like that?

mCpwnage
Dec 5, 2007

Motherfuckers, If it says 55 drive 55.
I like this a lot. I love the slight motion blur on the wingtips, while retaining sharpness along the back. The texture of the features is great.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Deadreak posted:

By the way, love simplicity of this one, the whole color pallet is pretty awesome and pleasant to look at (same with your last photo). Did you play with a curves or just came out looking like that?

Thanks - I cheated with VSCO on the last two.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

I love the contrast, tone, and lighting on the first photo. It's superb. The second photo I think could use more contrast, but I love the simplicity of the composition. For the third photo, I like the concept, but I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong with the execution. It may be the contrast and washed-out colors.

I took this on garbage expired film I found at the Goodwill, but I love how the colors turned out. I might try and clone out the branches on the left--I'm not sure if they're too distracting or not.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

The film age really does give that a nice trippy feel, and the colours and contrast almost make it abstract. I like it a lot.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Chill Callahan posted:

I took this on garbage expired film I found at the Goodwill, but I love how the colors turned out. I might try and clone out the branches on the left--I'm not sure if they're too distracting or not.

I would prefer to see it with the branches out. Pretty sweet shot

cory ad portas
Apr 28, 2008

THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.

Love the way the light came out, wonderful composition too.

wasteland by noartificialcolors, on Flickr

IMG_8149 by noartificialcolors, on Flickr

Tried my hand at some night shots, not sure what I think. The lights with all that fog and long exposures made for cool picture taking, definitely liking my new Sigma 30mm Xmas present.

cory ad portas fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 8, 2013

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

krooj posted:

The contrast on this is fantastic. What was the lighting situation and metering mode on camera?

Drawing on some inspiration from TheJeffers. I keep looking for nice converging angles in the concrete jungle:

Sounds like we're doing some architectural convergence type stuff in here today, which i freakin' love so this really appeals to me. Great shot, keep it how it is, gold star, etc. FWIW i think i like the uncropped version better. is this film? i'd love to see a wet print of it.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

whoa, thanks.

I really regret not stopping down further on that third photo, maybe it not being fully in focus is what's wrong with it.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

whereismyshoe posted:

Sounds like we're doing some architectural convergence type stuff in here today, which i freakin' love so this really appeals to me. Great shot, keep it how it is, gold star, etc. FWIW i think i like the uncropped version better. is this film? i'd love to see a wet print of it.

Thx, and TBH, I am also partial to the un-cropped version. The photo was shot using my X-E1. I'm too much of a cheapskate to go back into film (despite living above a photo shop that develops in house).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

krooj posted:

Thx, and TBH, I am also partial to the un-cropped version. The photo was shot using my X-E1. I'm too much of a cheapskate to go back into film (despite living above a photo shop that develops in house).

"my x-e1" and "too much of a cheapskate for film" doesn't compute to me.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

I really like this because when I first looked at it, I mistook it for something sinking in deep, murky water - not something sticking out. So it really struck me, even after I realized I was wrong. The rock could have been a bit sharper, but I think that dreaminess is what caused me to mistake it in the first place.

IMG_0047 by Donrufie, on Flickr

Ohhh... Boston
I should probably crop this a little better. Did I make it too dark? I can't tell.

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 

whereismyshoe posted:

Love it, random person or your friend?

Will go with vanity and critique myself

VIP Only by deadreak, on Flickr

I messed up taking this one, background turned out to be a blur, didn't find out about it until I got home :/ Still not sure what should have been done with color pallet here either. I do like how composition turned out though.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Deadreak posted:

Love it, random person or your friend?

Will go with vanity and critique myself

I messed up taking this one, background turned out to be a blur, didn't find out about it until I got home :/ Still not sure what should have been done with color pallet here either. I do like how composition turned out though.

Using a magenta filter might have toned down the reds and brought out more of the blues and greens. I'm assuming it was a dusky sky by the look of things?

And for content, I got bored while we were decorating the house and went outside. I think I would have liked this a lot better if I'd had a better lens. The bokeh is just blah on it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Phummus posted:

Using a magenta filter might have toned down the reds and brought out more of the blues and greens. I'm assuming it was a dusky sky by the look of things?

And for content, I got bored while we were decorating the house and went outside. I think I would have liked this a lot better if I'd had a better lens. The bokeh is just blah on it.

While I'm not quite at the point where selective color is bannable (coming soon!), what's so bad about the ~bokey~? You can barely even see it normal-size.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Phummus posted:

Color Wheel dot jaypeg. He just needs to whitebalance some of the tungsten lights out which isnt hard to do. Filters would not have helped him at all. He can RTFM about how to PRE-set his white balance as well. WHITE BALANCE.

I would have liked that a lot more had you not posted it in selective color. Please define "better lens". Its not your lens thats making unpleasant Bokeh, its your ultra busy background.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Vlex posted:

I took this near my parent's house in western Norway, you can barely make out the North Sea between the slate sky and extreme background. It's the edge of a small pond that is somewhat inexplicably at the very summit of a hill/small mountain.

SA

Shot it with my Nikon D3100, an Xmas gift, and twiddled with some knobs in Lightroom. I really, truly have no clue what I'm doing, but I liked the way it turned out.

That said, I do notice that:

- the horizon has a slant
- the sky is uninteresting
- the bushes to the right add clutter
- again, there's a slant to the foreground terrain, although the grass to the right was genuinely lower than the granite to the left.

tl;dr I made a photo

You can correct the horizon, push the exposure up a little bit, and check the 'remove chromatic aberration' box in Lightroom.

Casu Marzu posted:

Sorry you got probated because you didn't read the rules, but I have to say this picture is really glorious. From where did you take this picture? It seems like it would be quite rare to be above a bird like this. You did a great job with whatever you did to get this image.

tijag fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 8, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

tijag posted:

Sorry you got probated because you didn't read the rules, but I have to say this picture is really glorious. From where did you take this picture? It seems like it would be quite rare to be above a bird like this. You did a great job with whatever you did to get this image.

This not be the case for him, but it looks to me like a bird landing at a lake of some sort which makes it a lot easier to get above them.

Druckman
Apr 9, 2007

Prince Behind Glass
I like the way the triangular shape of the sky is echoed by the triangular shape of the road. If it were my shot, I'd crop the bottom to only include the shinier section of the walkway (or just a bit of the less shiny part). To me that shiny part is where the picture "starts" for me. It would also give the person a bit more presence.

Here's one that I've been struggling with.

Pond Hockey by AllLightIsGood, on Flickr

My ego tells me that I'm a genius for capturing him in silhouette, including his shadow, and getting the reflection of the sun to highlight the skate marks on the right. Do those things stand out for you or am I fooling myself?
The skeptic in me says the shot is hopeless because he's looking out of frame to the left instead of in-frame to the right :doh:. Is that really a problem?
What do you guys think?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The exposure and image quality are good, but I think the composition is off. It feels to me like you should have pulled back to get the full shadow and some scenery.. like if he was gazing at a goal or something.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

Deadreak posted:

I like the look and atmosphere of this one a lot, but I don't like how the person's left side is cut off; feels a little distracting to me. Same thing with the super bright lights right around their head. I love the idea behind it, just might need to try it one more time.

I love the color and the movement here, both of them really. They make for a really interesting take on some otherwise more mundane settings.

Deadreak posted:

I really like the contrast and style in this shot. The star contrast from the clean walls looks great. Did you have to clean the walls up at all or is that pretty natural. I wonder how the composition would look if you brought the billboard more to the left edge and got rid of the streetlight and brought in/highlighted the wall with the advertisement and the patterns the palm's shadow makes.

Here's a few more from my trip out west early last year.

IMG_4922 by Opals25, on Flickr

IMG_4978 by Opals25, on Flickr

IMG_4207 by Opals25, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

tijag posted:

Totally thought I had posted a crit earlier in the day. Guess not. Whoops.

Anyway, I was on a dike about 10 feet above a large river. There was a pack of geese on that dike just down from me that I scared off, and was able to capture this one gliding down off the dike towards the river.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

This is the weak one of the three, firstly because those people on the far right are distracting as all hell and secondly I feel we need a little more sun hitting those rocks, at the moment the bright spot on the right unbalances everything. Nice through line.

I don't know what to think of this, I started over three times with the post, and I have another version with a grittier feel to it. Maybe I should have bought the window down a little. The intent was for a soft painterly feel. A little tableau of my friends bohemian lifestyle to contrast with the more traditional shots I posted over in the Portrait thread.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

I like the concept but right now the window attracts my attention more than the guy. Maybe bump the windown down and the guy up a little?

Or maybe more of a horizontal crop? Take the 1/3 or half top of the window off and see what happens. I put my hand over the screen and it felt like the emphasis changed from the window to your friend. He's lying down so a horizontal crop should focus on him more.

Straight from the scanner.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Yes to this. The repeating patterns are really pleasing to my eye, although I'd like to see it in a processed B&W form.

From tonight:

Both are shot in colour and converted to B&W with LR4. I am really enjoying the way X-E1 RAW files look in LR when converted to B&W.

Not really happy with the glare that came out over the stenciled "O" in this one.

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 

Opals25 posted:

I like the look and atmosphere of this one a lot, but I don't like how the person's left side is cut off; feels a little distracting to me. Same thing with the super bright lights right around their head. I love the idea behind it, just might need to try it one more time.

I really like the contrast and style in this shot. The star contrast from the clean walls looks great. Did you have to clean the walls up at all or is that pretty natural. I wonder how the composition would look if you brought the billboard more to the left edge and got rid of the streetlight and brought in/highlighted the wall with the advertisement and the patterns the palm's shadow makes.

Thanks for critique, I agree with you on a first photo, lights did bother me a bit and cropping is bit off... next time indeed!

As for second one, walls were clean like that naturally and I just completely winged this photo, didn't think much, just took it and didn't think about it at all. I notice photos I don't think about much turn out to be my best ones. I am sure there are probably better way to compose this, to your point i should approach same subject from two completely different prospectives, might be interesting exercise!

This one is kick rear end, can;t stop staring at it, agree with krooj, what would black and white version of this look like?

Bit of color in life by deadreak, on Flickr

BlueMax
Mar 19, 2012

krooj posted:

Not really happy with the glare that came out over the stenciled "O" in this one.

It's unfortunate about the glare in the first picture, but even if that were not the case, I think I'd still like the second picture more. The lighting is fantastic in it. The only thing I don't like about it is the hydrant which for whatever reason draws my attention after looking at the picture for awhile.

lemur by vnlk65n, on Flickr

caribou run by vnlk65n, on Flickr

penguin variety by vnlk65n, on Flickr

What I think are my best pictures from a visit to the Calgary Zoo over Christmas. My dad gave me a couple of his old lenses for Christmas- a Vivitar Series 1 and a Nikon 50mm f/2. This was really my first time out "in the wild" shooting full manual mode with no AF. I wish I had set the camera up for the third shot a little better- out of focus, poor white balance, and for whatever reason came out really noisy.

BlueMax fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 10, 2013

App13
Dec 31, 2011

The focus is this shot kind of throws me off. My eye wants to focus on the penguin in the foreground, and it is kind of uncomfortable to try and pay attention to the penguin that is actually in focus.

PC290108 by App134, on Flickr

This photo was taken on a train moving slightly slower than the truck. I like how the fence post adds a bit of movement to the photo, but I'm not too sure how I like my conversion to B&W.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

App13 posted:

This photo was taken on a train moving slightly slower than the truck. I like how the fence post adds a bit of movement to the photo, but I'm not too sure how I like my conversion to B&W.

It strikes me as being a little too constrasty. There are a lot of blacks and whites, and not much in between.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

App13 posted:

I like the motion in this shot. A little more lead on the right side might have given it a more "in motion" feel.

Here are a couple of shots of a very lazy damsel fly

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Phummus posted:

The wood seems to be well exposed, but the fly itself is very dark and I can barely see any details at all.

BlueMax
Mar 19, 2012

App13 posted:

The focus is this shot kind of throws me off. My eye wants to focus on the penguin in the foreground, and it is kind of uncomfortable to try and pay attention to the penguin that is actually in focus.

Thanks for the input- It didn't occur to me that would be the case. When I took the picture I was thinking the color of the left-hand penguin would draw the viewers eye.

I agree with David that at least some parts of your picture look like they've lost detail- right hand side buildings and the truck wheel. Otherwise it's interesting and the fencepost puts it in context nicely.

Phummus posted:

It looks like the head is out of focus in the first shot which hurts it. I like the second one a lot more, but in my completely amateur opinion, both would look better with a tighter crop on them since there is a lot of empty space.

BlueMax fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 10, 2013

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

krooj posted:

I only thought so because when it's blown up to full size it has a little bit of graininess to it and the tonality looks a lot like tri-x.

Druckman posted:

I like the way the triangular shape of the sky is echoed by the triangular shape of the road. If it were my shot, I'd crop the bottom to only include the shinier section of the walkway (or just a bit of the less shiny part). To me that shiny part is where the picture "starts" for me. It would also give the person a bit more presence.

I tried this, but i feel like it takes away from the dramatic wideangle feel of the whole thing. I really just wish that the walkway was wetter and reflected more.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

All the owl pictures I've been processing lately and I forgot I took some landscapy-type shots as well.

Harsh critiques welcomed. Snow shots have been a challenge for me lately in post-processing.

I meant to post about this earlier and say this is magnificent. I wish there was a bit more head room but the contrast and crisp colours really make this a gorgeous shot.

BlueMax posted:

It's unfortunate about the glare in the first picture, but even if that were not the case, I think I'd still like the second picture more. The lighting is fantastic in it. The only thing I don't like about it is the hydrant which for whatever reason draws my attention after looking at the picture for awhile.

lemur by vnlk65n, on Flickr
I would crop out the right third of this photo, or even more so that the oof stuff in the middle of the animal is gone. I love the look it's giving and think this could be a pretty nice shot if you can remove the distractions like the blown sky and oof stuff covering the animal.

quote:

caribou run by vnlk65n, on Flickr
Hopefully this isn't too harsh, but this photo really does nothing for me. The bar, the wire, and the branches are very distracting and the animal is clipped on top and bottom. You have captured a nice sense of movement but the other stuff ruins it.

quote:

penguin variety by vnlk65n, on Flickr

What I think are my best pictures from a visit to the Calgary Zoo over Christmas. My dad gave me a couple of his old lenses for Christmas- a Vivitar Series 1 and a Nikon 50mm f/2. This was really my first time out "in the wild" shooting full manual mode with no AF. I wish I had set the camera up for the third shot a little better- out of focus, poor white balance, and for whatever reason came out really noisy.
I've shot in the penguin area before and lighting is a challenge in there (also a challenge -- not getting gear soaked by the penguins). The noise gives a pleasant graininess to the image. As someone else already mentioned, that oof penguin in the front is trying to grab my eye unfortunately.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

I have to agree with InternetJunky here - with the wire running right under the eye like that, it's just too distracting. If you could have been a little higher or lower while taking the photo and had gotten the whole head in, that would have made a huge difference. If you could get rid of the wire with photoshop I bet that would really improve the picture.

IMG_0035 by Donrufie, on Flickr

Is the top of that tree too distracting? And yes I was too lazy to take care of that scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Abbeh posted:

I have to agree with InternetJunky here - with the wire running right under the eye like that, it's just too distracting. If you could have been a little higher or lower while taking the photo and had gotten the whole head in, that would have made a huge difference. If you could get rid of the wire with photoshop I bet that would really improve the picture.

IMG_0035 by Donrufie, on Flickr

Is the top of that tree too distracting? And yes I was too lazy to take care of that scratch.

I think this would be a very nice photo if you spent a little bit more effort to clean up the light leak looking effects and cloned out the scratch.