Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Just brewed my first cup and.. holy poo poo, this is what I've been missing with fresh roasted boutique coffee?! The flavors of the Guatemalan Huehuetenango are quite distinct: bright, slightly acidic, kind of like spicy chocolate, and it's unbelievably light but somehow it still feels like it has a rich body/after taste :psyduck:. This is using a lovely grinder too..

It's not bitter at all and I don't get that slightly sick feeling after I have a cup, gently caress you Costco blend!

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Here's a roast I did today, Brazil Fazenda do Sertao Catuai from Sweet Maria's, was shooting for a Full City using the Nesco Coffee Roaster. It may have gone past that (ok, certainly went past that?):

Roasted for 23 minutes, sifted through a wire mesh colander, then plastic to get rid of the majority of the chaff and left to cool on a sheet pan. All sealed up in a jar, looking forward to trying this one out!

qutius fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 7, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mandalay posted:

Because I'm willing to trade money for convenience/cleaning. I simply do not have a sink next to the coffee prep area to rinse stuff and water/coffee inevitably spills somewhere when Aeropressing. It will also have the knock-on effect of making it easier to make a cup for employees and patients.

A CCD is pretty easy cleanup. Dump the filter+grounds then rinse is basically it. And no spills unless the device breaks down.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

qutius posted:

Here's a roast I did today, Brazil Fazenda do Sertao Catuai from Sweet Maria's, was shooting for a Full City using the Nesco Coffee Roaster. It may have gone past that (ok, certainly went past that?):

Roasted for 23 minutes, sifted through a wire mesh colander, then plastic to get rid of the majority of the chaff and left to cool on a sheet pan. All sealed up in a jar, looking forward to trying this one out!

Yes that is definitely well past FC. I'd say you ventured into French/Italian roast.

You can tell if it's super oily right after the roasting. You can also tell as the inside near the crack is completely blackened.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Doh004 posted:

Yes that is definitely well past FC. I'd say you ventured into French/Italian roast.

You can tell if it's super oily right after the roasting. You can also tell as the inside near the crack is completely blackened.

That looks like starbucks roast, no offense.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

nm posted:

That looks like starbucks roast, no offense.

None taken at all. I have only used this machine twice before, the first two times were much more "successful" in terms of hitting the roast levels I was hoping for, but it's quite obvious now that beans all have their own roasting "schedule". I never did hear the second crack, but perhaps it took place during the cooling cycle when the machine is making a bit more noise than normal.

I've always seen the darker roasts result in a more oily finished product as was mentioned, these beans certainly don't have that characteristic. So oil should start to develop right after roasting, but does it get created as the bean ages a bit after the fact? Everything else about them points to a much darker roast than I was shooting for. Regardless, I've got a roommate who likes a French roast and I'm always willing to try fresh beans so not much of a loss there, and a few lessons learned as well! Pretty fun hobby, I have to say.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, that is well over full city. Full city should be more of a milk chocolate color, not dark chocolate. It will also not look oily right after roasting as noted above, it takes several hours for that to appear. What machine are you roasting with?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I was given a Nesco Coffee Roaster as a gift, like this guy here:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-roasters/air-roasters/nesco.html

No control on temp, just the amount of roasting time. Still no oil on the beans, but they haven't magically reduced their roast level either (drat them!)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

qutius posted:

Still no oil on the beans, but they haven't magically reduced their roast level either (drat them!)

You see that sheen on the beans in the picture you posted above? That's what we're calling oil. You only see that sheen right after a roast if the beans have been brought to too far of a roast level.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

qutius posted:

I was given a Nesco Coffee Roaster as a gift, like this guy here:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-roasters/air-roasters/nesco.html

No control on temp, just the amount of roasting time. Still no oil on the beans, but they haven't magically reduced their roast level either (drat them!)

So take a peek at this:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/library/content/using-sight-determine-degree-roast

I'm not saying you did anything wrong at all. You may quite like the coffee you make off of those beans. Let your taste be your guide on this as always.

However, I would say you easily got to stage 14 on the SM visual scale. By that time there's not much left of the bean's aromatics, and you're going to taste far more of the roast level in the cup than the bean. This varies with bean, of course, and some can take crazy amounts of roast and still be fine. Also, some people use crazy dark roast beans as a component of a blend with other, ligher aromatic roasts.

I guess I would suggest that you drink on that, take notes of what you dig and what you don't, then try a lesser-duration roast. Are you able to actually hear first crack while that roaster is going? If so, I might suggest a small sister batch be roasted to compare to this one where as soon as you hear first crack subside, just pull the plug out of the wall.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Doh004 posted:

You see that sheen on the beans in the picture you posted above? That's what we're calling oil. You only see that sheen right after a roast if the beans have been brought to too far of a roast level.

Ah gotcha - my roommate has a bag of a french roast in the house currently and that stuff is VERY oily which is what I'm comparing to. Thanks for the clarification!

Alleric posted:

So take a peek at this:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/library/content/using-sight-determine-degree-roast

I'm not saying you did anything wrong at all. You may quite like the coffee you make off of those beans. Let your taste be your guide on this as always.

However, I would say you easily got to stage 14 on the SM visual scale. By that time there's not much left of the bean's aromatics, and you're going to taste far more of the roast level in the cup than the bean. This varies with bean, of course, and some can take crazy amounts of roast and still be fine. Also, some people use crazy dark roast beans as a component of a blend with other, ligher aromatic roasts.

I guess I would suggest that you drink on that, take notes of what you dig and what you don't, then try a lesser-duration roast. Are you able to actually hear first crack while that roaster is going? If so, I might suggest a small sister batch be roasted to compare to this one where as soon as you hear first crack subside, just pull the plug out of the wall.

I'd say unless there is a fire, it's hard to really do anything "wrong" exactly so no worries there. I appreciate the feedback and discussing this in general (like I said, fun hobby so far). I plan to brew some of these beans up tomorrow, see what they taste like and go from there along with taking notes in general to start to see exactly what I like when it comes to regional coffee. From my limited experience so far, I am able to hear the first crack if I'm paying attention, it's quiet for sure and seems to stretch out for a period of time.

There are still two bags of greens I haven't roasted at all yet, and still quite a bit of the two I've roasted already so plenty of roasting, brewing and experimenting to do. Being colorblind doesn't help a ton when it comes to trying to ID the different shades in that roast scale, especially while in process.

Thanks again guys.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

qutius posted:

Ah gotcha - my roommate has a bag of a french roast in the house currently and that stuff is VERY oily which is what I'm comparing to. Thanks for the clarification!

I'd say unless there is a fire, it's hard to really do anything "wrong" exactly so no worries there. I appreciate the feedback and discussing this in general (like I said, fun hobby so far). I plan to brew some of these beans up tomorrow, see what they taste like and go from there along with taking notes in general to start to see exactly what I like when it comes to regional coffee. From my limited experience so far, I am able to hear the first crack if I'm paying attention, it's quiet for sure and seems to stretch out for a period of time.

There are still two bags of greens I haven't roasted at all yet, and still quite a bit of the two I've roasted already so plenty of roasting, brewing and experimenting to do. Being colorblind doesn't help a ton when it comes to trying to ID the different shades in that roast scale, especially while in process.

Thanks again guys.

Yeah, being colorblind is going to be an interesting thing to work around. Just thinking to myself here, I could see the eventual solution being to somehow mod a thermocouple into your roaster so you can go by temperature.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Remember that professional drum roasting is done only really on smell and sound (as seeing the coffee is harder), so there is hope.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

fwiw I never roast based on sight. As mentioned, the look of different roast levels varies from bean to bean. Go by audible cues. First crack sounds like a bonfire/popcorn, 2nd crack like rice crispies. You also get a feel of the smell/feel of the smoke. First crack is steamier, smells kind of like nutty bread in a lot of roasts, and the smoke generation is thin, grayish, and controlled. As 2nd crack ramps there is exponentially increasing thick white smoke. Regardless, 23 minutes is an incredibly long time to be roasting. You want to be aiming for around 10 min.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Quick question about subscriptions from Verve Coffee Roasters: is it possible to change the shipping address in the middle of the subscription? I'm sure it is, but I can't see any clarification on their site.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Of course. Call or email them.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I'm looking for some beans to roast that are very full bodied with subdued acidity. Would a fc+ Sumatran be what I'm looking for?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Google Butt posted:

I'm looking for some beans to roast that are very full bodied with subdued acidity. Would a fc+ Sumatran be what I'm looking for?

Any south east Asian coffee taken to an FC(+) would be up your alley. Stay away from African coffees, they are the opposite of what you're looking for.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

Any south east Asian coffee taken to an FC(+) would be up your alley. Stay away from African coffees, they are the opposite of what you're looking for.

Thanks! African beans are sweeter, right?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Brighter, some would call them "wine like" or acidy. That said, I used to hate bright cups, but now they're my favorite.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

GrAviTy84 posted:

fwiw I never roast based on sight. As mentioned, the look of different roast levels varies from bean to bean. Go by audible cues. First crack sounds like a bonfire/popcorn, 2nd crack like rice crispies. You also get a feel of the smell/feel of the smoke. First crack is steamier, smells kind of like nutty bread in a lot of roasts, and the smoke generation is thin, grayish, and controlled. As 2nd crack ramps there is exponentially increasing thick white smoke. Regardless, 23 minutes is an incredibly long time to be roasting. You want to be aiming for around 10 min.

yeah, it will be interesting to learn a bit more about the other cues rather than color, seeing as that's my mortal downfall anyways. I should mention that the overall amount of time includes a 5 minute cool down period and I was basing my initial roasts on info from here:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/Tip-Sheets_PDF_files/NescoCoffeeRoasterTipSheet.pdf

still, some things to learn as I get into this a bit, especially the stuff above about smell and noise rather than time and/or color :)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thanks to this thread I've acquired an Aeropress, a manual ceramic burr grinder, and some whole beans from Blue Bottle this past week. Coffee is awesome now and I don't even add milk or sugar any more. Now I just need to find a quality vacuum/flask tumbler thing.

Just last week I was using Mount Hagen instant coffee. Though it's still pretty good if I don't feel like grinding IMO.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

qutius posted:

I've never been good at judging color, when I was using a Poppery I tried to judge by smoke, smell and hearing, but it was hard to hear the cracks over the noise of the Poppery. The Behmor makes hearing the cracks very easy, it's improved my roast consistency considerably.

edit: And it slows down the roast, I've got it doing a half-pound in around 16 minutes to the start of the first crack.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I made some delicious cups of coffee with my aeropress, and I must have started doing something differently because I kept getting mouth puckeringly bitter cups all of a sudden. Time to get serious about amounts and temperatures I guess, but in the meantime my french press has been making much better coffee since getting a hario, grinding fresh, steeping for 4 minutes, and skimming off the excess.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Google Butt posted:

Not all of them, but as a normality they can be.

And in response to your Sumatran query, most of them I can't stand straight. I use them in blends if at all. Too much tobacco flavor as a rule.

Not the usual place I order (but I have ordered from them just fine), but this place has a nifty matrix you can manipulate to find a bean. Maybe poke around on it and see if a particular region or regions corresponds to the flavors you're looking for.

http://www.coffeebeancorral.com/coffee-bean-matrix.aspx?categoryID=57

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Thanks to this thread (and my lack of decent coffee back home during the holidays) for motivating me to get into home roasting. I ordered a Behmor and the 8 lb sampler from Sweet Maria's, and after a long journey/UPS fiasco, it finally arrived today. Can't wait to brew my first cup tomorrow morning. I think I hit a city roast on my first attempt. The Behmor started cooling toward the end of first crack.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

ddonahue99 posted:

Can't wait to brew my first cup tomorrow morning.

I've read roasted coffee should be given ~3 days before using for best results. I'm sure someone smarter can elaborate. Keep hearing positive things about the Behmor. Might just need to take the dive soon...

Thermos question: Does my coffee taste like poo poo because I put cream in it before traveling? It's new, clean and totally stainless.

geetee fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 11, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

geetee posted:

I've read roasted coffee should be given ~3 days before using for best results. I'm sure someone smarter can elaborate.

I think 12 hrs is enough. That said I've done the "wake up, check coffee canister, see less than you need, "OH poo poo", fire up air popper and roast enough for the morning" thing. It's not bad, still better than almost anything you can buy from a store. It outgasses a shitton so you'll have to account for that (like, it literally looks like you poured a glass of soda water into your filter cone when you wet the grounds).

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

geetee posted:

I've read roasted coffee should be given ~3 days before using for best results. I'm sure someone smarter can elaborate. Keep hearing positive things about the Behmor. Might just need to take the dive soon...

Some beans really are fine next morning, some do take a matter of days, and some others it really depends on the roast. All I can really say is that I can taste the CO2 if I've gone too quick on a bean. There's a sharpness to the brew that I find off-putting. Waiting let's the really volatile aromatics have a head start at vanishing though, so you kind of have to strike your balance.

In my experience though, any brew methodology that is unpressurized (read as: not espresso), and there's plenty of chance for the remaining CO2 to come out during the bloom. The coffee will just bubble more than normal. No biggie. If any left in solution doesn't bother you, you're golden.

In espresso, though... go too quick on a bean and you'll be cleaning your counter a lot. Go WAY too quick on a bean and it might walk your portafilter off the brew group.

Normally the beans I roast for the wife's drip or when I'm doing pour-over or press pot I'm fine with brewing on the next morning. For my espresso beans, I usually let them hang out in my one-way-valve tins for a couple of days to let them purge out quite a bit of the CO2.

That reminds me, company in town next week. I need to roast up a lb of my blend for me and a lb of the wife's kona. Really wish it wasn't going to be rear end cold here on Saturday, or I'd take some spare lumber and work up a rack to hold my heat gun and bowl in place.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

geetee posted:

Thermos question: Does my coffee taste like poo poo because I put cream in it before traveling? It's new, clean and totally stainless.

The Behmor is great. Keep a little vacuum next to it to suck out the grounds instead of using the ridiculous brush to get rid of chaff and I don't have a single complaint.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Journalist compares Nespresso with local coffee and espresso and uses beans that were ground four days before. http://www.aeonmagazine.com/being-human/julian-baggini-coffee-artisans/

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

My brewing gear as been slowly trickling in as I've been roasting!

Got my CCD 3 days ago and was getting really sour, bitter results (I was eyeballing everything). My scale just came in and I did a 1:17 or 14g coffee/238g water ratio, with a goal of 2:30m (including draw down). It's so much better I can't even really describe it..now I just need my burr grinder to show up. I'm definitely tasting the roast on this Costa Rican I roasted last night, definitely going lighter next time.

Also, I decided to modify my Air Crazy by disconnecting the thermistor, splicing the fan onto the main power line and the heat to the power button. When I plug the popper in the fan comes and I can stretch the roast by toggling the power button. I found this technique, seems to work better than agitating with a spoon..plus it's kinda fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBBg1JUS6dw

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 12, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

inferis posted:

Journalist compares Nespresso with local coffee and espresso and uses beans that were ground four days before. http://www.aeonmagazine.com/being-human/julian-baggini-coffee-artisans/

People are desperate to prove that poo poo instant machines are superior to us sperglords who care about freshness and taste.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

geetee posted:

I've read roasted coffee should be given ~3 days before using for best results.

I've heard varying reports on this as well. Being my first roast, I figured I'd give it a shot at ~12 hours, and man was it good. Up to par with the Intelligentsia beans I got for Christmas. Really fruity, so maybe not for everyone, and it'll be interesting to see how it matures, but I was certainly impressed/pleased.

Couldn't be happier with the Behmor. I was up and running within minutes and came out with a perfect roast, no smoke, minimal cleanup required. The smell was much better than I was expecting. More nutty than smoky, not as bad as burnt popcorn. I would highly recommend it.

Edit: action shot

ddonahue99 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 12, 2013

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Replaced my Bodum Bistro grinder with a Vario today. Totally worth it; instant improvement. The thing is built like goddamn tank and very quiet too.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

inferis posted:

To be clear, they are comparing Nespresso with notoriously lovely restaurant coffee. Restaurants use capsule systems because it is better than the garbage they would be serving otherwise. Even the fanciest Michelin-starred restaurant tends to have a filthy unmaintained machine with some random employee pulling overheated dishwater shots with old stale coffee. Was cleaning it and opening a new bag of (unspecified, probably ancient) coffee so unusual they had to mention it in the article? They don't even actually say he was grinding per shot, just that he "ground them just before the test".

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

ddonahue99 posted:

Couldn't be happier with the Behmor. I was up and running within minutes and came out with a perfect roast, no smoke, minimal cleanup required. The smell was much better than I was expecting. More nutty than smoky, not as bad as burnt popcorn. I would highly recommend it.

Edit: action shot

The Behmor is awesome. Joe Behm is a cool guy too, I had some issues with my Behmor a couple of years ago (that were my fault entirely) and he just sent me a new model.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I think once my popper craps out I'll end up getting one of those more expensive home roasters. Once you start roasting at home, you can't go back to buying retail. I'm okay with going to coffee shops and trying out their coffee, the price difference is just too much.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I think I just realized something today. I've been using a poppery 1500 watt for the last couple weeks and using 1/2 cup per normal instructions, but it was always taking a long time (7+ minutes inside) to get to second crack. Today I rewatched the video on sweet Maria's and it seems like I didn't have enough beans- they were flying around from the start. So I added a bit less than 3/4 cup this time and the difference was crazy. Way more audible cracks and it got to second crack in maybe 5:30. I guess I didn't have enough beans so all the heat was just escaping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I got a pour-over set for Christmas and everything has been fine and dandy till this set of beans. Every time I do the first pour to bloom the grounds fizz and bubble up like soda. Any idea what could be causing this? None of the other beans I've used have done this. The cup also tastes flat. Should I just let the water cool off more beforehand? I typically wait around ten seconds after taking the pot off the boil, and that seems to be perfect for everything else. There's also very little oil in the cup, not what I'm used to seeing. The beans were also roasted a bit too dark from the look of things, could that be a factor?